Sacrifices needed to full time in a 6 metre van? (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Anytime. Definitely try the layout before you commit, though. I was dead against a dinette and bed over the garage layout, but I was absolutely wrong!
Hi Wellington
Can I just ask quick question, we are exactly like you said you were (look in Motorhomes with dinette and think nope so
uncomfortable)
But I see yours is a dinette, the L shape looks comfortable but the settee dosent ? Is it? I always think it has no sides to lean against when feet up ? What’s your experience pls

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing to do when you actually get to see any in the flesh, CLOSE THE HAB DOOR, once closed some MHs are very gloomy and not a nice place to spend a lot of time especially in winter.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
.............but until you are totally sure it might be an idea to get a cheaper/older well priced one and see how you get on, then if needs be change it for another in the future, this reduces the risk of you loosing a lot of money if you buy the wrong MH ..............

Very sound advice, Mel. Was this a lesson you learned the hard way? Since 1996, I think you have had 8 MoHo's, that is a change on average once every 21 months....... a lot of fettling! :unsure: On another thread you you were insistent that I was wrong about women not getting it right first time!
Laugh Emoji.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Hi Wellington
Can I just ask quick question, we are exactly like you said you were (look in Motorhomes with dinette and think nope so
uncomfortable)
But I see yours is a dinette, the L shape looks comfortable but the settee dosent ? Is it? I always think it has no sides to lean against when feet up ? What’s your experience pls

I’m afraid I can’t help, because I travel with a child, and the car seat lives on the dinette, so I’ve never lounged on it for long. What I will add (and TonyC might find this helpful too) is that both captains chairs swivel so that they create feet up lounging with dinette, and I tend to lounge in those . They are quite comfortable (Although I’d much prefer a proper footrest, which would create space, too. I am going to have a proper look into this at some stage)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very sound advice, Mel. Was this a lesson you learned the hard way? Since 1996, I think you have had 8 MoHo's, that is a change on average once every 21 months....... a lot of fettling! :unsure: On another thread you you were insistent that I was wrong about women not getting it right first time!
View attachment 394328
:giggle:

We actually have had them since 1995 but weren't able to use the Commer until 1996 due to the amount of work that the garage had to do on it in their 'quiet time' to keep costs down so it's not quite as 'bad' as you think.

Our ownership (time owned):

Late 1995: Autosleeper pop-top on a Commer - used 1970 (1y 10m)
Aug 1997: Self-converted Ford V6 Ambulance - used 1985 (1y 9m)
May 1999: Elddis Autoquest 320 - used 1990 (2y 4m)
Sept 2001: Swift Suntor 590RS - new (1y 8m)
May 2003: Rapido 709F - new (3y 10m)
Feb 2007: Rimor Sailer 645TC - new (3y 2m)
Apr 2010: Chausson Flash 04 - new (2y 4m)
Aug 2012: Autocruise Accent - used 2 months old (2y 9m)
May 2015: Globecar FamilyScout L - new (2y 11m)
Apr 2018: Globecar Campscout - new (1y 6m)
Oct 2019: Carthago C-Compactline i-138 - new (8m to date)

We had good reasons for changing each and every one of them, due to issues with them or a change in requirements, this older thread give some info if you're REALLY interested/a glutten for punishement! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Wellington
uncomfortable)
We have the same layout pretty much as Wellington, I think our little side chair is slightly different as ours is a newer model, but that's all.

When we were away in France/Spain for 2 months over winter we used the lounge area every night, usually watching an hour's DVD/recording sitting in the cab chairs which are very comfy. I would sit in the passenger seat with my legs up on the side sofa, usually with a dog doing her best to 'evict' me, and hubby in the driver's seat with his legs up on the small side chair and a stool which I use to get up/down off the bed which was perfect to 'extend' the length to make it comfy to lay his legs over without having feet dangling.

When not in the cab seats I'd often be on the dinette seat in the corner with my legs up on the sofa whilst hubby sat in the passenger seat sorting out the sat nav, planning etc, it worked very well. What I had done though is change the table top for a smaller narrower and shorter one as the supplied top is way too big (problem with a lot of fixed table MHs), changing it gave more space for lounging but didn't affect the ability to use the table at all. It was also nice to sit on the side sofa when eating and looking out through the open habitation door opposite.

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We full-time last year. We hired a 6m motorhome first as we wanted to keep as small as possible. We realised that was too small.
We ended up with a 7m, A class Burstner, about 10 years old, with a traverse end bed which we use also for reading, lounging etc and a pull down bed.
It has a large garage ( big enough for motorbike)
Refillable gas
Solar panel
Good size shower room
Enough payload to fill the garage and not be over. (checked a weigh bridge)
The length isn't a more of a problem to drive, so unless you can be happy in a pvc with the bonus of parking anywhere, you may as well have the extra length.
Didn't notice ferries were any dearer.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Couple of things as well to consider. If you have a Gas tank fitted underneath, that gives you the (storage) space occupied by gas bottles. There are fittings available to extend use to large cylinders if necessary (I had the R-V connected to a Repsol bottle in Spain in winter). Buying a quality van second hand, is IMV a better move, You will lose less IF you find the first choice is not right. And the quality van will stand up to long term use better. Space is something else to consider, you are going to spend a huge amount of time in it. After time it could become claustrophobic if the choice is wrong.

As a young(er) man I spent months in a space often no bigger than 10x12 feet. (ships cabins where notorious for being tiny, and dark, back then). Now my Grandson has a stack of space and his own Bathroom!. The point being we tended to use the "public" rooms a lot!, to avoid "cabin fever".

I would not be afraid of "mileage", it's not what it has done, but how it did it, Low miles on short runs, are IMV worse than higher miles on longer runs. More important is the service record.

EDIT:- some thing that just occurred too. What IS the difference between (say) a PVC and an "A" class in width terms?. 3" per side?. Not a huge amount.? But, I have to put my hands up here and admit as one time "lorry" driver, I dont have an issue size-wise?. Maybe Hire one for a few days and see if the width phases you. I suspect you would be surprised how quickly you can adapt?.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We, two of us, have a 6mtr Hymer.
I think if we carried bikes or a small moped we would prefer a garage, we used to have bikes on the rack but they do tend to cop all the weather-even when covered-and they are vulnerable to thieves! Now we have a box instead-no bikes (in UK we have a toad)
Hubby has quite a reasonable tool kit, and I manage to find room for some of my hobbies, clothing is always a fiddle. We are lucky in that we have at space with MiL but I can see a problem with two of us wanting enough clothes, specially winter coats, boots & shoes with us all the time. As it is we swap clothes, coats, boots etc twice a year with stuff from the attic.
I think a 6mtr van would be fine on your own but don’t put an expensive bike/moped on the rack outside, you hear of people with lots of locks/chains etc that still loose them, one even lost the whole thing rack as well!
Good luck with your venture

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
EDIT:- some thing that just occurred too. What IS the difference between (say) a PVC and an "A" class in width terms?. 3" per side?. Not a huge amount.? But, I have to put my hands up here and admit as one time "lorry" driver, I dont have an issue size-wise?. Maybe Hire one for a few days and see if the width phases you. I suspect you would be surprised how quickly you can adapt?.
The widths tend to be as follows:

Width Variant
2.05m - PVC (Fiat etc)
2.12m - Carthago C-Compactline
2.20m - Hymer Exsis A-Class & some coachbuilts
2.30m - Most A-Classes & coachbuilts
2.35m - Newer A-Class & coachbuilts

This means that some Coachbuilts are now a foot wider than a PVC, ie 6" each side, which can make quite a difference in our experience - we had a 2.30m coachbuilt and found it a pain in the bum, not only for going down narrow lanes/out of the way places but just for general driving due to the idiots coming the opposite direction getting very close.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The widths tend to be as follows:

Width Variant
2.05m - PVC (Fiat etc)
2.12m - Carthago C-Compactline
2.20m - Hymer Exsis A-Class & some coachbuilts
2.30m - Most A-Classes & coachbuilts
2.35m - Newer A-Class & coachbuilts

This means that some Coachbuilts are now a foot wider than a PVC, ie 6" each side, which can make quite a difference in our experience - we had a 2.30m coachbuilt and found it a pain in the bum, not only for going down narrow lanes/out of the way places but just for general driving due to the idiots coming the opposite direction getting very close.
Apologies for a Laugh. But it reminded me of the days when I used to take HGV`s to Farms in the "Sticks" quite literally. Some of the Minor roads in North Yorkshire above Kirby Moorside. Are a Real "Challenge". One access requires several shunts to get onto a bridge, and more to get off it!. "Stuffing" the front fender into the Banking, is also not uncommon!. Back in the 90`s we used to take the R-V to Campsites in North Devon down access roads with no visibility, towing a car on a trailer. LHDrive with SWMBO having pups in the "suicide" seat!. (and we are still Married after 56years!).

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,, first of all "slow down".. Lol.. I think you have answered most of the questions yourself,, take your time, go to dealerships to see what suits you, a slightly larger MH is better than a smaller cramped one,, you will know yourself when you see a van that ticks all the boxes,, and remember as you get used to driving more, you don't want to llok back and think "l wish l'd have something bigger,,, like myself you will learn as you go along,, l'm still learning after 2 years full timing,, if things go pear shaped (and they will) remember it's part of the adventure,, and there's always the good people on here that will help... Happy travels.. 👍

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Hi Tony, snap, I retire Feb next year and intend to go solo full timing, I'm looking now at changing and upgrading to a newer MH. My current one is 6m long, which I very quickly got used to having picked it up from my cousins in B'ham in snow in December a couple of years ago (I'm down near Bristol). It has a rear lounge and over cab bed which I found quite claustrophobic so ended up making up the bed in the u shaped lounge, I still do that now and am thoroughly fed up with doing it :crying1: also the shower and loo combined is a pain to use, you either wipe it all down every time or get an extra curtain to cover the whole area and risk getting a freezing plastic curtain stuck to your bum! So the upshot is, I've decided to look for an older model (better quality), German make if poss (within my price range) and either a drop down bed or long side seats to use as a single bed and an end washroom. I've gained a heck of a lot of info from reading all the responses you've had so thanks for asking the questions. Do let us know what you finally end up with though. Good luck! :happy:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Tony, snap, I retire Feb next year and intend to go solo full timing, I'm looking now at changing and upgrading to a newer MH. My current one is 6m long, which I very quickly got used to having picked it up from my cousins in B'ham in snow in December a couple of years ago (I'm down near Bristol). It has a rear lounge and over cab bed which I found quite claustrophobic so ended up making up the bed in the u shaped lounge, I still do that now and am thoroughly fed up with doing it :crying1: also the shower and loo combined is a pain to use, you either wipe it all down every time or get an extra curtain to cover the whole area and risk getting a freezing plastic curtain stuck to your bum! So the upshot is, I've decided to look for an older model (better quality), German make if poss (within my price range) and either a drop down bed or long side seats to use as a single bed and an end washroom. I've gained a heck of a lot of info from reading all the responses you've had so thanks for asking the questions. Do let us know what you finally end up with though. Good luck! :happy:

Let me deal with what you do not like about you current MH, which solutions might lead to a better specification.

'Overcab bed' - I assume that is a fixed bed in a 'luton' Drop-down beds beds are much less calaustrophobic.

Shower and loo combined. I am surprised there is not already a shower curtain. We have combined and the curtain does not stick, but keeps everything else dry.

Ours is a German (N&B Arto 2003) still going strong.

I support your gut feeling for something like a German quality MH, maybe 7m, forget he age - they last.

Geoff

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138

I also hate making up beds, and decided to see if a drop down would suit me. I‘m never quite sure if people mean an over cab or an electric or wind down over-lounge job, but here is my experience in case it helps you.

I don’t like the drop down bed. I really, really want to, but I don’t. Firstly, you have to put both cab seat backs fully forwards (you won’t have to fart about with the kids car seat, at least, but you will have to readjust the seat back every time you drive off again. I‘m really short, so I have to be positioned just right so that I can comfortably reach all the gears! Also, the knob to release the seat back hurts my hands). Dropping the bed is easy, but unless you like really flat pillows and a summer duvet, you can’t leave the bedding in it because the catches don’t catch properly and it falls on your head while you are driving, particularly if you like a mattress topper or anything else that might be a bit heavy. You have to climb up and down on a little seat which is irritating, especially if you are in the habit of absent-mindedly leaving your spectacles/phone/book or whatever up there.

You can’t sit up in bed and drink your morning coffee, or read a book at night, and there is no window so you can peer out at the weather in the morning, enjoy the view or nose at your neighbours. Also, it makes the seating area surprisingly dark. Some people complain of poor headroom, which I have no problem with.

Also, it’s my first A class, and I don’t know whether it’s the drop down bed or the A class height, but I’m finding it noticeably more top heavy (and creaky) to drive than my previous (and slightly longer) coach built.

I do agree with you about shower curtains. Horrid things! I don’t need a separate shower, as we stay on sites often enough atm. If I were fulltiming, I would definitely want one, as the doors in the Carthago, while a brilliant solution to the freezing bum, as definitely are ridiculous faff!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Interesting comments Wellington as we haven't found it as restricted etc as you seem to have.

Firstly, you have to put both cab seat backs fully forwards (you won’t have to fart about with the kids car seat, at least, but you will have to readjust the seat back every time you drive off again.
I think that's the case with most A-class drop-down beds.

... the knob to release the seat back hurts my hands).
Yes, its a shame the knob is so large, could do to be a bit smaller.

Dropping the bed is easy, but unless you like really flat pillows and a summer duvet, you can’t leave the bedding in it because the catches don’t catch properly and it falls on your head while you are driving, particularly if you like a mattress topper or anything else that might be a bit heavy.
By moving the pillows in from the sides of the drop-down bed we can leave all the bedding up there, that includes 4 pillows and two duvets, one on top of the other, and its never come down, you do have to make sure you push it up so it locates in the catches correctly though, we do one side at a time.

You can’t sit up in bed and drink your morning coffee, or read a book at night, and there is no window so you can peer out at the weather in the morning, enjoy the view or nose at your neighbours. Also, it makes the seating area surprisingly dark. Some people complain of poor headroom, which I have no problem with.
Hubby happily has his cuppa up there, reads his book etc, this is possible by positioning his pillow in the right place on the supports at the sides so he has something to rest against. He peers out of the door window in ours as he opens the blind in a morning when he lets the dogs out so can see what the weather's like also the big skylight lets in loads of light (blind open of course!).

Also, it’s my first A class, and I don’t know whether it’s the drop down bed or the A class height, but I’m finding it noticeably more top heavy (and creaky) to drive than my previous (and slightly longer) coach built.
Not noticed this ourselves but as ours gets older it may start creaking I suppose - do you grease/oil the struts every few weeks as recommended in the manual?

I don’t need a separate shower, as we stay on sites often enough atm. If I were fulltiming, I would definitely want one, as the doors in the Carthago, while a brilliant solution to the freezing bum, as definitely are ridiculous faff!
We find them easy to use, certainly better than some, although obviously not as good as a separate shower.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Glad to hear it can work well. It‘d be a dull old world if we were all the same, so we should expect to have varying experiences of features.

I think it’s the A class that’s generally more creaky, rather than the bed itself. (I was warned about it on the handover) I do think the bed is a factor in it feeling more top heavy than I found in the coachbuilt. This isn’t necessarily a huge problem, and I wouldn’t rule out another A class if ticked all my other boxes for layout, just slightly unexpected for me personally.

I may have weakened catches, of course, but I definitely made sure they were in properly before setting out. It’s not actually that big a deal, because it rests on the seat backs long before it’s anywhere near my head, but this is not something you want to find out on the M25, and next time, you will make sure the latches are secure, beleive me! It happened multiple times, no matter how firmly I had latched it, and how many times I checked. I think it was my error, overloading it, as it’s never happened empty, so it’s definitely worth thinking about if you like memory foam pillows. I think this is fixable, but again unexpected, so I do think it’s worth passing on.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow that must either be a problem with the catches being faulty or poor design, whichever, it is so dangerous for the bed to come down whilst driving, have you had the catches checked out?

No wonder you are thinking its not a suitable van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Glad to hear it can work well. It‘d be a dull old world if we were all the same, so we should expect to have varying experiences of features.

I think it’s the A class that’s generally more creaky, rather than the bed itself. (I was warned about it on the handover) I do think the bed is a factor in it feeling more top heavy than I found in the coachbuilt. This isn’t necessarily a huge problem, and I wouldn’t rule out another A class if ticked all my other boxes for layout, just slightly unexpected for me personally.

I may have weakened catches, of course, but I definitely made sure they were in properly before setting out. It’s not actually that big a deal, because it rests on the seat backs long before it’s anywhere near my head, but this is not something you want to find out on the M25, and next time, you will make sure the latches are secure, beleive me! It happened multiple times, no matter how firmly I had latched it, and how many times I checked. I think it was my error, overloading it, as it’s never happened empty, so it’s definitely worth thinking about if you like memory foam pillows. I think this is fixable, but again unexpected, so I do think it’s worth passing on.
I know memory foam pillows can be heavy, as can toppers - do you move the pillows away from the edges? Hubby puts them at the front edge of the bed when he gets up as that's where the largest space is and makes sure the duvet isn't under where the shelf is. I appreciate your's is an older MH than ours so it could just be that yours are worn and need replacing/adjusting. What is it like without the bedding on?

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I also hate making up beds, and decided to see if a drop down would suit me. I‘m never quite sure if people mean an over cab or an electric or wind down over-lounge job, but here is my experience in case it helps you.

I don’t like the drop down bed. I really, really want to, but I don’t. Firstly, you have to put both cab seat backs fully forwards (you won’t have to fart about with the kids car seat, at least, but you will have to readjust the seat back every time you drive off again. I‘m really short, so I have to be positioned just right so that I can comfortably reach all the gears! Also, the knob to release the seat back hurts my hands). Dropping the bed is easy, but unless you like really flat pillows and a summer duvet, you can’t leave the bedding in it because the catches don’t catch properly and it falls on your head while you are driving, particularly if you like a mattress topper or anything else that might be a bit heavy. You have to climb up and down on a little seat which is irritating, especially if you are in the habit of absent-mindedly leaving your spectacles/phone/book or whatever up there.

I do agree with you about shower curtains. Horrid things! I don’t need a separate shower, as we stay on sites often enough atm. If I were fulltiming, I would definitely want one, as the doors in the Carthago, while a brilliant solution to the freezing bum, as definitely are ridiculous faff!
Thanks for your comments Wellington, as you can see from my Avatar, I have an overcab bed which is very shallow in height, hence the claustrophobic feeling, I also think the low profile vans give much more light in the cab area. I already have one shower curtain in the washroom which only goes halfway round, so the basin, mirror and cupboard get soaked, I added another curtain to cover these but ended up with a standing space of about 6 inches!
I'm taking on board all the comments posted here and am now looking at older vans up to 7m in length (mine is 6m plus a half if the bike is on the rack).
Any tips for selling as well? Thanks 😊

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Drop down beds include those coming down from the ceiling on belts. We leave ours made up, big skylight over front. Seating area under same size as the bed so easily get 6 people in. And can be bed so sleep 4 at a big pinch!
oh full size shower . Our spare tyre lies flat in it.!
that is the compromise , very little luggage space for big items, but do have ski locker in rear right corner,.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Wow that must either be a problem with the catches being faulty or poor design, whichever, it is so dangerous for the bed to come down whilst driving, have you had the catches checked out?

No wonder you are thinking its not a suitable van.

I think I just had too much crap on it, and the catches were working loose. I'd look at one of those mini seat belt thingies to reinforce if I were keeping it. I really want to go twin beds, though. Its very scary and annoying, but I don't think its really so dangerous as all that. The headrest is a good foot above our heads, and while it doesn't improve visibility much, unless one is planning on a take off, you can see well enough to pull over!

I know memory foam pillows can be heavy, as can toppers - do you move the pillows away from the edges? Hubby puts them at the front edge of the bed when he gets up as that's where the largest space is and makes sure the duvet isn't under where the shelf is. I appreciate your's is an older MH than ours so it could just be that yours are worn and need replacing/adjusting. What is it like without the bedding on?

I was mainly putting them under the skylight. I think it's possible the catches are worn, but I think either too much weight or bulk was increasing the pressure on them. I believe it was my error, but its something to be aware of. You can't just shove anything you like up there!

Thanks for your comments Wellington, as you can see from my Avatar, I have an overcab bed which is very shallow in height, hence the claustrophobic feeling, I also think the low profile vans give much more light in the cab area. I already have one shower curtain in the washroom which only goes halfway round, so the basin, mirror and cupboard get soaked, I added another curtain to cover these but ended up with a standing space of about 6 inches!
I'm taking on board all the comments posted here and am now looking at older vans up to 7m in length (mine is 6m plus a half if the bike is on the rack).
Any tips for selling as well? Thanks 😊

I agree that would be claustrophobic. I think a drop down is better, but not as good a proper bed. Again, were all different and the more prepared you are, the better decision you can make. I'm considering an ovecab for the Girlchild. She'd love one! What's it like to drive?

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I reckon a Girlchild (or Boychild) would love an overcab. We are used to our 2-berth PVC, which can be configured as either two singles or a king. But in Feb this year we hired a 6-berth in New Zealand. This had an overcab (large) double. My partner and I ended up in the overcab, with more elderly family members taking the ground floor! After tentatively climbing the ladders the first couple of times (we are definitely not in the first flush of youth), we loved it. There was a net you raised to stop you rolling over and falling to your potential death; then, once the curtains were closed, it was like being in your own cosy nest (or eyrie, given the height). You do have to remember to take your phone, glasses, etc. up with you to avoid more ladder work, though.

Re creaking, after being used to a metal PVC, we did notice that all that fibreglass does creak a bit when on the road. It was much noisier all round than our regular PVC, but some of that could be down to the build quality.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
agree that would be claustrophobic. I think a drop down is better, but not as good a proper bed. Again, were all different and the more prepared you are, the better decision you can make. I'm considering an ovecab for the Girlchild. She'd love one! What's it like to drive?
Wellington, its really easy to drive, I'd only ever driven a car before, but collected the MH from my cousins in B'ham in December in the snow! That was 2.5 years ago, I'm now 65 and still find it a doddle, I did get a reversing camera fitted last year just to make reversing easier as I'm on my own but I can't wait to get away in it and every weekend is/was (😁) a great adventure :dance2:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I‘m now wondering whether I ought not go for an over cab. She would love it, and it would actually solve a lot of problems. I was going to play it safe, and have practically the same van, but with the twin singles, because I was only changing the one thing that isnt really working for me. But now you’ve got me thinking (with apologies to TonyC for dragging his thread offtopic!)

THEN I wondered if it would be possible to fix an overcab or drop down bed at ‘half mast’ so that it could be left useable while driving? I’m really short, so it could easily be usable as an overcab for a child while allowing me the full use of the space. That would be a beautiful solution. And maybe we could even keep the 138. Car seat could stay in situ, no farting about with bedding, no hurty-seat folding, full use of dinette, Girlchild happy in her eyrie, mum happy in the comfy seats underneath, both on the road and off it.

It’s really dangerous when I start thinking. Now I’m in for another round of being looked at as though I have two heads and as thing I am asking various people-with-practical-skills to install a table tennis table in the van for me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I‘m now wondering whether I ought not go for an over cab. She would love it, and it would actually solve a lot of problems. I was going to play it safe, and have practically the same van, but with the twin singles, because I was only changing the one thing that isnt really working for me. But now you’ve got me thinking (with apologies to TonyC for dragging his thread offtopic!)

THEN I wondered if it would be possible to fix an overcab or drop down bed at ‘half mast’ so that it could be left useable while driving? I’m really short, so it could easily be usable as an overcab for a child while allowing me the full use of the space. That would be a beautiful solution. And maybe we could even keep the 138. Car seat could stay in situ, no farting about with bedding, no hurty-seat folding, full use of dinette, Girlchild happy in her eyrie, mum happy in the comfy seats underneath, both on the road and off it.

It’s really dangerous when I start thinking. Now I’m in for another round of being looked at as though I have two heads and as thing I am asking various people-with-practical-skills to install a table tennis table in the van for me.
The question is do you really NEED to fully lower the drop-down bed anyway? It will sit on the headrests of the seat which for a child shouldn't cause any issues/damage to them as she's not heavy like an adult although it may cause the underside 'headlining' of the bed to be distorted so maybe a better option is to fit some supports/brackets at that height on the side walls which the bed can rest on instead of the headrests, thus you don't have to adjust the seats or remove the child seat at all. You'd need some steps for her but that's not a problem I'm sure. Depending on how low you wanted it though you'd likely still have to push it back up for travelling.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
It’s after midnight, pitch black and pouring with rain, and I am STILL tempted to go out and have a fiddle with it!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
It’d need to be fixed above the seat backs, or I wouldn’t be able swivel the drivers seat without a lot of wear. I wonder how much of the weight is supported by the suspending struts and how much by the stops, and whether that wouldn’t be an issue long term? Also if it remains level when partway down.

Whole new layouts to explore!

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I sometimes take my great nephew away with me and he loves sleeping up there so it is ideal for kids. I use it to store all the bedding during the day and there's still room for him to get up there!

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We full timed (2 of us) for 3 years in one of these. Its a Swift Firebrand but the same as a Swift 590
Good lounging area, lots of cupboards and good wardrobe sizegood shower and toilet, overhead cab for bedding, chairs etc, proper cooker, easy to make up bed, Can carry stuff inside and then store some of it at night eg tables, rotary drier, broom, cadac barbecue in the front seat foot spaces.
Doesn't feel big to drive and easy to use on lanes as well as larger roads, easy to park in most places.
This might help to get some idea of useful spaces
Steph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back