Sacrifices needed to full time in a 6 metre van? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Currently Newcastle, but elsewhere by Autumn
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Hi and welcome to the Fun.

:welc:

I have fulltimed for over 9 years now, first van 8.3m, second van 8m, current van 7m. Next to no difference in driving any of them. They’re all much the same width which is what you notice rather than the length. :Smile:
I’ve never had a PVC but they are noticeably narrower.

Layout is the most important thing. You can have very long vans that still have a crappy layout and poor storage. Or you can find ingeniously designed small vans that make the most of their more limited space.

After layout comes payload. No good having lots of lovely storage space if you can’t load much into it. :wink:

And after that comes winterisation. You don’t mention whether you intend buying new or used. I’d go for used every time, and German. German vans are properly winterised.

As to sacrifices, none as far as I’m concerned. I like my comfort too!:laughing:

Wow, 9 years full timing? That's probably Jedi level or something :giggle:
I think I've identified the layout that I need to feel comfortable living in a van (mainly a very large lounge), but I honestly don't know what kind of payload a full timer needs. Do you mind me asking- what weight of gear you carry around for full timing?
I'm not daft, I realise I'll have to downsize from five domestic staff to just the two, but I'm worried the servant's quarters might be a tad cosy...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Read up on & research payload.
It's probably more important than layout, if you want to stay legal.
Have you the right licence category
I just assumed the manufacturers would give you a van with a usable payload
As you'll discover - that's a huge joke.
Beware the garage you cannot fill because of axle weight limits as well as overall payload.

I'd be looking at an A Class [says he, PVC owner]. The reassurance of driving a pvc is that if the front fits, the rest will. I'm told that's the same with an A Class

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tony(OP)

You wrote

"Driving big vehicles stresses me out, so I'm happy to sacrifice a fair bit of comfort and convenience to live in a smaller van."

Does that mean you have driven say an 7m vehicle?

I can understand people not wanting to drive a vehicle wider than a PVC, but changing from 6m to 7m length is little different as others have said.

I suggest you go for a test drive in a 7m narrow-body MH and see how you feel - the extra metre just follows you round.

When one considers the standard items in a MH - the cab area, shower/toilet, cooker, seating, beds etc. there is not much left for storage space. An extra metre can make a big difference for full-timing.

Come back when you have tried a 7m narrow MH.

Geoff

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Tony(OP)

You wrote

"Driving big vehicles stresses me out, so I'm happy to sacrifice a fair bit of comfort and convenience to live in a smaller van."

Does that mean you have driven say an 7m vehicle?

I can understand people not wanting to drive a vehicle wider than a PVC, but changing from 6m to 7m length is little different as others have said.

I suggest you go for a test drive in a 7m narrow-body MH and see how you feel - the extra metre just follows you round.

When one considers the standard items in a MH - the cab area, shower/toilet, cooker, seating, beds etc. there is not much left for storage space. An extra metre can make a big difference for full-timing.

Come back when you have tried a 7m narrow MH.

Geoff

Hi Jeff
I certainly haven't driven many larger vehicles, I will say that.
A few years ago I had a go in a van-based minibus my bothers hired for a trip. It was a one-off but I just didn't enjoy driving it the way I enjoy driving a car. I was ok going forwards and reasonably ok round corners, but as soon as I had to reverse it, I felt like I was going to hit everything and had no room to manouvre.
A big ambition is to reduce stress during my retirement, and so I want to find the smallest vehicle that will still be ok to live in, without compromising too much on comfort. I want to get into small villages and narrow streetsm and find parking spaces with minimal stress.
I'm OK with the idea of 7m as a compromise, but if I can live in a 6.5 or 6 metre I would prefer to do that. I'll try to arrange a few test drives in July and August (which will include a 7m van), so that will tell me a lot about whether I'm right about the size of van I'm comfortable driving.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming 11 years of which the last 9+ has been in a 6 metre fiat ducato panel van I converted myself.
If you are buying a coachbuilt then the main consideration is layout and pretty much everything else follows from that.

You need the following as a bare minimum in my experience.
A fixed bed.
A separate shower. Drying the shower out before you can use the toilet gets old pretty quickly.
A place to lounge. Sitting at a dinette during the winter for long periods of time when you can't go out is uncomfortable.

Welcome to the forum.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have a look at a Hymer B584, 6 metres with 3 travel seats, side settee, good sized shower and drop down bed. The older B584’s ,2000 to about 2004 have a better Bathroom than the newer versions in my opinio.

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
I would be getting one with a garage, desn't need to be huge, but wouldn't go back to a van without one now. Another believer in hire before you buy what you think you want may turn out to be not to your taste. Drop down bed or overcab is a good idea, you can get fed up making up a bed every night, ok if you are a short a*se like me and can manage with a bench seat. do you envisage cooking inside a lot? a cooker is very handy in the cooler months or when it is raining, we don't have one in the present van, it had evrything else we needed sot that was the compromise, there are work rounds.
not enough room in the garage for anything other than 1 pushbike, so have had a tow bar fitted to our 6M coachbuilt and will take a motorbike on an easylifter. we are amazed at the locker space we have and would easily do me for a year on my own. Enjoy your search it is a lot of the fun. regarding weight we have a winterised van it is a 3.5T have been over the weighbridge post fitting of tow bar, not quite fully loades but tables and chairs, water in tank, cadac food pots pans and utensils a bit of food and drink and clothes most of the electronics we take and still have about 350kg payload left.

Hi Sue, thanks for this info. I've had a look and I can see that the British made models I've been considering (eg the Bailey 66-2) dont tend to have a garage- usually a smallish external locker.
Lots of people use them, and plenty of full timers I guess- so I reckon the owners must use the shower room to store bulky objects maybe? Or use a car roof box?
But now that I've considered it, it seems to me that a garage would make full time living a fair bit less hassle, to the point that I think the Bailey 66-2 might have to be dropped from my shortlist, and also the Autotrail T620.
I dont know if its just an impression, but I'm noticing the European vans seem to be very pragmatic designs for full time use- almost all seem to have some sort of garage for example.

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Have a look at a Hymer B584, 6 metres with 3 travel seats, side settee, good sized shower and drop down bed. The older B584’s ,2000 to about 2004 have a better Bathroom than the newer versions in my opinio.

Thanks for the heads up Manic, I will check those out .
Ideally I'm looking for something newer, but there's certainly nothing to be lost from taking a gander

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
I have been fulltiming 11 years of which the last 9+ has been in a 6 metre fiat ducato panel van I converted myself.
If you are buying a coachbuilt then the main consideration is layout and pretty much everything else follows from that.

You need the following as a bare minimum in my experience.
A fixed bed.
A separate shower. Drying the shower out before you can use the toilet gets old pretty quickly.
A place to lounge. Sitting at a dinette during the winter for long periods of time when you can't go out is uncomfortable.

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, thats a lot of fulltiming!
I have to be realistic and accept that what I think I want now might change a few weeks into living in my first van.
But this is what I think I need, based on my personal living preferences:
I know that I don't like small living spaces at all, in fact I cant bear to spend prolonged periods in small living spaces. I'm not claustrophobic as such, but the reason I've not gone down the PVC route is the extra width and living space often available in coachbuilts.
So I want as much space as possible devoted to lounge/living area.
I would prefer a fixed bed, but if its means less lounge space then I can live with an overcab or a drop down, as they are very quick to make up.
Thats a great point about a separate shower. That said, they dont seem as common as you would expect them to be, so lots of full timers must be managing with a combined shower/toilet. My current favourite the Itineo FC650 has a separate shower room, so that is a significant plus point in its favour.
I absolutely agree that sitting comfortably is a vital issue, especially given we get so many days with ropey weather. I'm trying to find seating arrangements that I know I can live with, and I have to agree, a lounging area is crucial.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Have a look at the Chausson 530 or the 520 which are just under 6m, with a good amount of living space, separate shower in the washroom and a small garage at the rear. We downsized from an A class last year and it suits us fine. I see you are in Newcastle, so you could pop up to Tyne Valley at Burnopfield where I know they have a 520 in stock.

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Read up on & research payload.
It's probably more important than layout, if you want to stay legal.
Have you the right licence category

As you'll discover - that's a huge joke.
Beware the garage you cannot fill because of axle weight limits as well as overall payload.

I'd be looking at an A Class [says he, PVC owner]. The reassurance of driving a pvc is that if the front fits, the rest will. I'm told that's the same with an A Class

Cheers, I've only recently become aware of how bad some vans are in terms of payload.
As I'm an old codger I passed my test in the 80s so I have got the C license (the one I've seen referred to rather unkindly as the 'old farts license').
I'll asking the dealer I buy from to state the payload (and whether it includes full water tank or whatever) in writing as part of the conditions of the sale.
I called Brownhills and they said they would inquire into getting an Itineo 650 uprated from 3500 to 3700kg, which would give a 600kg payload.

have to say I love PVCs, but there is only one layout that didnt feel a bit too cosy, and that was the wildax constellation 3XL with s front lounge. Its also fully winterised and really well built, but they cost 55k, and thats an awful lot of money- an awful lot.
Its only another 4 or 5k and youve got a brand new Itineo 650, with all the space and the comfort- it just appealed to the wimp in me!

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Have a look at the Chausson 530 or the 520 which are just under 6m, with a good amount of living space, separate shower in the washroom and a small garage at the rear. We downsized from an A class last year and it suits us fine. I see you are in Newcastle, so you could pop up to Tyne Valley at Burnopfield where I know they have a 520 in stock.

Thanks for the heads up Kraken, I'll make an appointment to have a look around their stock.
The Chausson 520 is a beautiful van, it really is, but the brand new one they have is 54k, and Brownhills are asking 58k for a brand new Itineo 650, and at the moment the Itineo appeals to me more than the Chausson to be honest, and is still only 6.5m.
But I wont get a chance to see the itineo in person for a few weeks yet, and I cant say its really a goer until I've seen it in person.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wow, thats a lot of fulltiming!
I have to be realistic and accept that what I think I want now might change a few weeks into living in my first van.
But this is what I think I need, based on my personal living preferences:
I know that I don't like small living spaces at all, in fact I cant bear to spend prolonged periods in small living spaces. I'm not claustrophobic as such, but the reason I've not gone down the PVC route is the extra width and living space often available in coachbuilts.
So I want as much space as possible devoted to lounge/living area.
I would prefer a fixed bed, but if its means less lounge space then I can live with an overcab or a drop down, as they are very quick to make up.
Thats a great point about a separate shower. That said, they dont seem as common as you would expect them to be, so lots of full timers must be managing with a combined shower/toilet. My current favourite the Itineo FC650 has a separate shower room, so that is a significant plus point in its favour.
I absolutely agree that sitting comfortably is a vital issue, especially given we get so many days with ropey weather. I'm trying to find seating arrangements that I know I can live with, and I have to agree, a lounging area is crucial.

Don't get too tied up with the length. Width is more of a killer than length is.

The advantage of 6 metres and there is only one, is that you can fit into a car parking space without overhanging behind. Other than that length is not really the issue you might think it is and 8 Metres is easily manageable.
I made the mistake of buying a bus which was only 1 metre or so longer than my previous coachbuilt but was a lot wider. It was the width (amongst other things) that killed that idea for me and it only lasted 6 months.

An A class with drop down bed is a brilliant solution in that you can have the bed made up all the time and just need to drop it down. That is a fantastic compromise. Although I do have concerns around the big windscreen. If I was buying a coachbuilt I would personally be looking at the Hymer B584. It has the perfect layout for me as a solo. It has an office/work area. a lounge and a drop down bed alongside a separate shower. It ticks all the boxes for me personally.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Hi everyone, I want to firstly say apologies if this has come up recently, but I couldn't find it so I hope you won't mind giving me the benefit of your full-timing perspective and your knowledge and experience on this big question.
My question is, how long does a van need to be, to full time in reasonable comfort? But there is more to it that.
I know there are couples that full time happily in 6 metre PVCs, and probably some solo travellers who feel constricted in 8 metre A class vans- so I understand there is a lot of individual variation and preference involved in this question.
So it might help you to give more informed answers if I explain a bit more about my own circumstances.
I am going to retire in 7 weeks, buy a van when my funds are fully in place around the end of August, and move in immediately to start a bit of UK travelling. Next year I'll do a couple of 3 month European trips, and when I'm in the Uk I'll do a week or two at a time in quieter/cheaper CLs, and hopefully a fair bit of wild camping (although I gather that's gotten quite tricky since the lockdown).
I'll be travelling solo, and want have decent off grid capability.
Driving big vehicles stresses me out, so I'm happy to sacrifice a fair bit of comfort and convenience to live in a smaller van.
My other big thing is I love maximum interior daytime/lounge space, so I'm happy to give up on having a fixed bed and use a drop-down or a 'make up' bed instead (or even an overcab bed)- yes it will be a pain making up a bed (although a drop down is easy), but I'd rather have more lounge space, and I definitely don't want the stress of a driving a larger van.
I've got a provisional shortlist, including the Bailey Alliance 66-2, Autotrail T620 (and similar models), and if I go crazy and really splash out my retirement fund, I could go up to around 60k, which might get a Pegaso 590 or Itineo FC650.
I figure its a once-in-a-lifetime purchase that I'll use for 20 years, so maybe its worth going mad on an A class.

What I'd love to know at this point is what kind of things you have to give up to live in that kid of van? I don't have loads of personal possessions anyway, but as an example I do want to take a (heavy) guitar and speaker, and a few gadgets, and either a ebike or a little 50cc moped to get into town centres when I'm on a CL. I might need to get the vehicle payload uprated to do that, but my bigger worry is space for general stuff.
Its one thing to strip down possessions to live in a MH, but I imagine there comes a point where you've stripped out so much that it just becomes a daily nuisance coping without the things, and I wouldn't want to do that.
So as full timers, what were the things that you would prefer to carry but just didnt have the space, and how much of a nuisance was it?
I'm thinking of things like tiny portable washing machines that some swear by, generators perhaps, a set of tools maybe, or bulky items- anything really that you might struggle to fit in a sub-7metre van.
I'd love to get some idea of how much nuisance factor is involved in living in a van between 6 and 7 metres?
And why you made the vehicle length choices that you did?

The two of us had no trouble living (and working) in a 6m panel van conversion (Wildax Europa) for over a month, so I reckon we could full-time in it. And that is two people rather than one. Not sure why you'd need an A-class, but I appreciate that people's standards differ.

Ours has a rear lounge that converts to a king-size bed or two singles. Making up the king-size does get a bit tedious after many days. However, if you are happy with singles, it only takes a few seconds. The passenger seat swivels too and has a little table, so you could leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and sit up front instead.

I personally wouldn't bother with a washing machine: instead use campsites/launderettes when needed (abroad some supermarkets provide washing machines too). And handwash some items.

As far as storage goes, PVCs would not normally have a 'garage', but some have the bed over a storage area which looks like a good set-up if you have a lot of stuff to carry.

We carry two bikes on a rear-mounted rack, but I think a better idea is a towbar-mounted carrier that would support a bit more weight like an e-bike or moped.

We have two 100Ah leisure batteries and solar, as well as an underslung LPG tank (lasts at least a month), so we can survive off-grid for as long as we like. The only limiting factors for us are the bog (the largish cassette lasts about 4 days for the two of us before needing emptying) and water (the 100-litre tank might last us 5 or 6 days, depending on how careful we are).

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
have to say I love PVCs, but there is only one layout that didnt feel a bit too cosy, and that was the wildax constellation 3XL with s front lounge. Its also fully winterised and really well built, but they cost 55k, and thats an awful lot of money- an awful lot.
As a Wildax owner, I obviously rate the marque.
Generally speaking any PVC is more expensive than a coachbuilt.
There are advantages & disadvantages to a PVC... eg structural integrity, damp is unlikely to be an issue. They are more discreet than a white box. When the weather allows, opening the sliding door & the rear barn doors really opens up your space...

When comparing prices, make sure you include the extra pack prices that coachbuilts have as extras which Wildax include as standard...

And finally, WildAx used to be prepared to tweak their designs [a new van is built for you], since their takeover by Rapido, I don't know if this is still the case.

You can hire a WildAx and I would certainly recommend this - but as it's general cliche that you don't get the layout etc right until your third purchase, I would also give serious thought to buying a cheaper used model first. Then you'll find out whether what you think you want is actually what you want in practice - eg clambering up to a drop down bed might not seem to be an issue but you might hate the ladder in the middle of the night. You might think making up a bed isn't an issue but it might become one after a month or so.
I thought I needed a big tower fridge, but I didn't. I thought a two ring hob wouldn't be enough but it is...

Good luck

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
The two of us had no trouble living (and working) in a 6m panel van conversion (Wildax Europa) for over a month, so I reckon we could full-time in it. And that is two people rather than one. Not sure why you'd need an A-class, but I appreciate that people's standards differ.

Ours has a rear lounge that converts to a king-size bed or two singles. Making up the king-size does get a bit tedious after many days. However, if you are happy with singles, it only takes a few seconds. The passenger seat swivels too and has a little table, so you could leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and sit up front instead.

I personally wouldn't bother with a washing machine: instead use campsites/launderettes when needed (abroad some supermarkets provide washing machines too). And handwash some items.

As far as storage goes, PVCs would not normally have a 'garage', but some have the bed over a storage area which looks like a good set-up if you have a lot of stuff to carry.

We carry two bikes on a rear-mounted rack, but I think a better idea is a towbar-mounted carrier that would support a bit more weight like an e-bike or moped.

We have two 100Ah leisure batteries and solar, as well as an underslung LPG tank (lasts at least a month), so we can survive off-grid for as long as we like. The only limiting factors for us are the bog (the largish cassette lasts about 4 days for the two of us before needing emptying) and water (the 100-litre tank might last us 5 or 6 days, depending on how careful we are).

Thanks Myrtle, and I have to say that Wildax were among a very few PVCs that I really gave some thought to. The constellation 3XL is stunning and the build quality looks very very good- but at 55k its very close to a brand new A class, starting at about 58k.
I think the decider for me is that I have a really strong preference for as much living space as possible. For me to do it full time, it has to be really spacious, and the coachbuilts and A class vans have that edge over the PVCs.
If I wasn't such a weirdo about space, or if I was going around the world or across Asia I would pick a Wildax in a heartbeat, it wins by a mile if things are going to get a bit more hardcore, rougher roads, etc.
But for day to day living, mostly in the UK and occasionally stuck in the van most of the day, space and comfort are my top priorities, and so I felt I had a more suitable option than a PVC.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Thanks Myrtle, and I have to say that Wildax were among a very few PVCs that I really gave some thought to. The constellation 3XL is stunning and the build quality looks very very good- but at 55k its very close to a brand new A class, starting at about 58k.
I think the decider for me is that I have a really strong preference for as much living space as possible. For me to do it full time, it has to be really spacious, and the coachbuilts and A class vans have that edge over the PVCs.
If I wasn't such a weirdo about space, or if I was going around the world or across Asia I would pick a Wildax in a heartbeat, it wins by a mile if things are going to get a bit more hardcore, rougher roads, etc.
But for day to day living, mostly in the UK and occasionally stuck in the van most of the day, space and comfort are my top priorities, and so I felt I had a more suitable option than a PVC.

Yes, I think we all agree that layout is the most crucial thing when choosing a van and that will always be a very personal thing.

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
As a Wildax owner, I obviously rate the marque.
Generally speaking any PVC is more expensive than a coachbuilt.
There are advantages & disadvantages to a PVC... eg structural integrity, damp is unlikely to be an issue. They are more discreet than a white box. When the weather allows, opening the sliding door & the rear barn doors really opens up your space...

When comparing prices, make sure you include the extra pack prices that coachbuilts have as extras which Wildax include as standard...

And finally, WildAx used to be prepared to tweak their designs [a new van is built for you], since their takeover by Rapido, I don't know if this is still the case.

You can hire a WildAx and I would certainly recommend this - but as it's general cliche that you don't get the layout etc right until your third purchase, I would also give serious thought to buying a cheaper used model first. Then you'll find out whether what you think you want is actually what you want in practice - eg clambering up to a drop down bed might not seem to be an issue but you might hate the ladder in the middle of the night. You might think making up a bed isn't an issue but it might become one after a month or so.
I thought I needed a big tower fridge, but I didn't. I thought a two ring hob wouldn't be enough but it is...

Good luck

Thanks again Stephen, you hit on another point that made me think about the Wildax- which is that it's discreet. I could park it outside the house of a family member when visiting and it just blends in - (and it would fit in easily too)- no crazy graphics or bright colours.
One of my brothers lives in a pretty dodgy area and to be honest, I wouldnt dare park a nearly-new A class MH outside his house overnight, whether I was in it or not- it would be a target.
A PVC would go largely unnoticed, and I would definitely stay in one overnight near his house.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Only my opinion , you cant change physics the smaller the van the less space you have . You say you want space but want a small van . Everything is a compromise .
I am not against buying from a dealer , i bought my unit i have now from a dealer but and a big but you can get much more bang for bucks looking elsewhere .

I have been on the road for four years now and even the normal uk winters can be a problem for non winterised vans .
As for layout remember any van is only a variation of a long corridor in reality .

I started with a Hymer starline b680 it kept me safe and warm for the first four years .

I still have it its 20 years old it needs a clean and its a bit rough round the edges but when its sorted after all this stuff thats been going on it will make a great starter van for someone , not saying you obviously but someone on a budget .

You have a decent budget look at buying an older German or French van maybe and not a holiday van that you try to manage in full time.

Steve

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Only my opinion , you cant change physics the smaller the van the less space you have . You say you want space but want a small van . Everything is a compromise .
I am not against buying from a dealer , i bought my unit i have now from a dealer but and a big but you can get much more bang for bucks looking elsewhere .

I have been on the road for four years now and even the normal uk winters can be a problem for non winterised vans .
As for layout remember any van is only a variation of a long corridor in reality .

I started with a Hymer starline b680 it kept me safe and warm for the first four years .

I still have it its 20 years old it needs a clean and its a bit rough round the edges but when its sorted after all this stuff thats been going on it will make a great starter van for someone , not saying you obviously but someone on a budget .

You have a decent budget look at buying an older German or French van maybe and not a holiday van that you try to manage in full time.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I agree about avoiding buying from a dealer I can. Autotrader seems to be 95% dealer stock, so I had a look on gumtree and ebay for examples, and there are a few private sellers, but I'm starting to get the impression that for whatever reason, most van sales happen via dealers, so I might be limited in what I can find. Can I ask- what are the other private options?

Also, can I pick your brains- is there a shortlist of upgrades needed to protect the van in colder winters?
I can imagine you want one with good insulation to save on fuel costs et, but what can done about underslung water tanks? Do you insulate those? Also, are all underslung pipes vulnerable, e.g. waste outlets?
I've seen some vans with heaters for their underslung tanks, but certainly not many. I suspect most fall into the 'holiday' category, designed for use mainly in warmer weather.
I think on the van size vs living space thing, its probably the one compromise I've thought about the most. I'm starting to focus on minimum 6 metres coachbuilt or A class, and I think max 7 metres

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Wow, 9 years full timing? That's probably Jedi level or something :giggle:
I think I've identified the layout that I need to feel comfortable living in a van (mainly a very large lounge), but I honestly don't know what kind of payload a full timer needs. Do you mind me asking- what weight of gear you carry around for full timing?
I'm not daft, I realise I'll have to downsize from five domestic staff to just the two, but I'm worried the servant's quarters might be a tad cosy...
When I bought my van it was weighed with full water and came in at 3900kg. I subsequently weighed it fully loaded and it was 4560kg, so it would appear I travel with 660kg of clutter. :Smile: Its plated weight is 4850kg so I’ve still got plenty of spare capacity, however the rear axle limit would make this difficult to achieve in practice, so I’m probably looking at 4650kg in reality.

However, this van came already kitted out with 3 large heavy batteries, 2 large refillable gas cylinders, solar panel, awning, E&P levelling system. Oh and I used to carry a genny but have just sold it as I only ran it for a total of 62 hours in 9 years. :wink:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not fulltimed but I can get 2 folding bikes a washing machine and all my other stuff in my 6.4 m PVC
Its an extra high top so has extra storage over the cab and high level lockers are over twice the size of most standard height PVCs

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A couple of things - if you spend a lot of time in a van make sure you can sit comfortably - I have 2 swivel captains chairs which are as comfortable as arm chairs and if the table in the van is heavy, get rid and get a lightweight fold up - or eat off you lap

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
When I bought my van it was weighed with full water and came in at 3900kg. I subsequently weighed it fully loaded and it was 4560kg, so it would appear I travel with 660kg of clutter. :Smile: Its plated weight is 4850kg so I’ve still got plenty of spare capacity, however the rear axle limit would make this difficult to achieve in practice, so I’m probably looking at 4650kg in reality.

However, this van came already kitted out with 3 large heavy batteries, 2 large refillable gas cylinders, solar panel, awning, E&P levelling system. Oh and I used to carry a genny but have just sold it as I only ran it for a total of 62 hours in 9 years. :wink:

Thanks again Maz, I am hoping that 600kg payload will do me, but I'm still working it out.
Obviously I don't need makeup, handbags or shoes, so I can save 450kg on your payload figure :giggle:
Just kidding, just kidding....

But the safe thing seems to be to get an uprated vehicle so I have some contingency payload available for heavier items.
E.g. it occurred to me that to reduce the number of miles I put on the van, I should consider a moped or lightweight 125cc. So if I'm in a nice CL somewhere, I have the option to bimble around the local area using very little fuel. Also, I can get into any town centres without taking the van, or maybe park it up on the outskirts where these is more room.
And if I used a moped as my way of exploring the nooks and crannies, narrow lanes etc, that then opens the possibility of getting a slightly longer vehicle as well, because I wont have to worry about manoeuvering it around tight spaces. Hmmm, thats got me thinking....

Anyway, the moped thing is another question I think.
On the genny thing, I just dont know. I get the idea that in winter the solar struggles to keep your batteries topped up, so I thought I'd need a backup for the UK winters, but maybe not...
In terms of an off-grid backup, I'm thinking I could rig up some sort of Jack Russell-powered oversized hamster wheel to generate electricity. Just got to get me a brace of Jack Russells, and a laser pointer toy to give them some motivation for the chase. I could be sat back in my large lounge, watching TV and running a washing machine, and all powered by small dogs. Why has no-one thought of this?
The capitalist in me sees it as exploitation of the masses (masses of Jack Russells, I mean)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Not fulltimed but I can get 2 folding bikes a washing machine and all my other stuff in my 6.4 m PVC
Its an extra high top so has extra storage over the cab and high level lockers are over twice the size of most standard height PVCs

Thanks Jezport, and I must admit I keep briefly coming back to ask myself if I could full time in a van. From what you're saying the space/storage issues can be sorted out. But I always end up coming back to the same thing in my mind- how am I going to feel if get two straight days of non-stop rain in November, and I'm sat in the van for 5 or 6 hours at a time? Its not that I mind going out in the rain that much, but I'll also be working one or two days a week for a few months (from the van)- and from the PVCs I've sat in, I get the feeling I might start to find them a bit too cosy for my own liking.

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
A couple of things - if you spend a lot of time in a van make sure you can sit comfortably - I have 2 swivel captains chairs which are as comfortable as arm chairs and if the table in the van is heavy, get rid and get a lightweight fold up - or eat off you lap

Cheers Vic- so the cab seats will probably be the most comfortable seats in any van to sit for an hour at a time...? I guess it makes sense- they have to manufacture front car seats to certain regs (I think), that cover issues like back comfort and support.
I often make 400 mile round trips for work, and I generally step out of the car after a couple of hours driving with a slight stiffness but no other ill effects, so I can see me making lots of use of the cab seats for lounging as well as driving.
I wanted a removable table, but the models I'm looking at have them fixed which is rather a bummer. They do fold at least, so thats something.
There is no one van that ticks all of my boxes, something will have to compromise- at the moment the table will one of the compromise issues I think

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi everyone, I want to firstly say apologies if this has come up recently, but I couldn't find it so I hope you won't mind giving me the benefit of your full-timing perspective and your knowledge and experience on this big question.
My question is, how long does a van need to be, to full time in reasonable comfort? But there is more to it that.
I know there are couples that full time happily in 6 metre PVCs, and probably some solo travellers who feel constricted in 8 metre A class vans- so I understand there is a lot of individual variation and preference involved in this question.
So it might help you to give more informed answers if I explain a bit more about my own circumstances.
I am going to retire in 7 weeks, buy a van when my funds are fully in place around the end of August, and move in immediately to start a bit of UK travelling. Next year I'll do a couple of 3 month European trips, and when I'm in the Uk I'll do a week or two at a time in quieter/cheaper CLs, and hopefully a fair bit of wild camping (although I gather that's gotten quite tricky since the lockdown).
I'll be travelling solo, and want have decent off grid capability.
Driving big vehicles stresses me out, so I'm happy to sacrifice a fair bit of comfort and convenience to live in a smaller van.
My other big thing is I love maximum interior daytime/lounge space, so I'm happy to give up on having a fixed bed and use a drop-down or a 'make up' bed instead (or even an overcab bed)- yes it will be a pain making up a bed (although a drop down is easy), but I'd rather have more lounge space, and I definitely don't want the stress of a driving a larger van.
I've got a provisional shortlist, including the Bailey Alliance 66-2, Autotrail T620 (and similar models), and if I go crazy and really splash out my retirement fund, I could go up to around 60k, which might get a Pegaso 590 or Itineo FC650.
I figure its a once-in-a-lifetime purchase that I'll use for 20 years, so maybe its worth going mad on an A class.

What I'd love to know at this point is what kind of things you have to give up to live in that kid of van? I don't have loads of personal possessions anyway, but as an example I do want to take a (heavy) guitar and speaker, and a few gadgets, and either a ebike or a little 50cc moped to get into town centres when I'm on a CL. I might need to get the vehicle payload uprated to do that, but my bigger worry is space for general stuff.
Its one thing to strip down possessions to live in a MH, but I imagine there comes a point where you've stripped out so much that it just becomes a daily nuisance coping without the things, and I wouldn't want to do that.
So as full timers, what were the things that you would prefer to carry but just didnt have the space, and how much of a nuisance was it?
I'm thinking of things like tiny portable washing machines that some swear by, generators perhaps, a set of tools maybe, or bulky items- anything really that you might struggle to fit in a sub-7metre van.
I'd love to get some idea of how much nuisance factor is involved in living in a van between 6 and 7 metres?
And why you made the vehicle length choices that you did?
this couple full time in an Adria PVC, they have a video blog from the past few years with plus’s and minus etc.

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Cheers Vic- so the cab seats will probably be the most comfortable seats in any van to sit for an hour at a time...? I guess it makes sense- they have to manufacture front car seats to certain regs (I think), that cover issues like back comfort and support.
I often make 400 mile round trips for work, and I generally step out of the car after a couple of hours driving with a slight stiffness but no other ill effects, so I can see me making lots of use of the cab seats for lounging as well as driving.
I wanted a removable table, but the models I'm looking at have them fixed which is rather a bummer. They do fold at least, so thats something.
There is no one van that ticks all of my boxes, something will have to compromise- at the moment the table will one of the compromise issues I think
Table is easily sorted. A lot of fulltimers remove the fixed table and use a folding table instead. I’ve done this in every van I’ve had - it makes it an awful lot easier to move around the van. I use a Gopak table which is sturdy but lightweight and stores in the cab when not in use. It can also be taken outside and used with the camping chairs.

OP
OP
T

TonyC123

Free Member
May 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
this couple full time in an Adria PVC, they have a video blog from the past few years with plus’s and minus etc.

Thanks Coolcats, and what a fantastic pair of characters those two are by the way!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back