Sacrifices needed to full time in a 6 metre van? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s after midnight, pitch black and pouring with rain, and I am STILL tempted to go out and have a fiddle with it!
Well ... tell us ... did you go out and have a 'fiddle'? :giggle:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I did, and I think it could work, provided the bed can be safely fixed at both not really down, and not fully up. To be up enough to be out of the way, and also driveable would be a bit tight (although I expect she could manage, she’s only little, and is used to a low ceiling, as she sleeps in an absurdly high loft bed at home!), but also the bed is not flat at that point, it is still canted down at the windscreen end. I’m going to go and start a separate thread on beds, because I think an electric bed might better suited.

If the fixings could be changed or reinforced to keep it mostly up with all the stuff she will have up there (it is also her space for all her inside toys, souvenirs and clothes (In Ikea skub boxes) and she also sleeps with an electric blanket and a gel cold mat. No way the catches should be expected to hold on to all that while we rattle up the alps!) then it would work.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I dont think I'll end up getting the Pegaso tbh- I think I'll have to look into a used model with a higher rated chassis and a garage, but at first glance, the Pegaso looks decently specced and has decent payload to work with.
If you like the layout of the Pegaso, you could also look at a Pilote G600L - for a 6m MH the living area felt huge. There's a large vertical locker at the back instead of a garage, and some of them have pull out underfloor drawers for external storage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
I’d go for Just smiffy Hymer B544...got everything you need and very well sorted. I had a B544 for 20 years and although never fulltimed in it always felt I could If I had wanted to. Nice big open lounge due to no fixed bed....and drop down is fine for sleeping. Having said that I would probably want a garage if fulltiming for a scooter...but if that can be sorted..perhaps with a good scooter rack on the Al-ko chassis ?

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Hi Tony I’ve recently joined too and this place has taught me loads already!

We’ve just bought our first MH not for full timing but we will probably live in it more than the house for a while.

It’s just the 2 of us and 2 small dogs sometimes (kids have them sometimes too). We felt that the drop down bed in shorter MHs would be a nuisance because it’s likely we would want to use the bed and sofa at the same time but if you’re solo I guess it’s not an issue.
We didn’t like any with a suspended or high up bed just because it felt too closed in and hot.

We went for the Benimar Mileo 231 which is 5.9 metres and 3500kg MPTLM. Benimar seem generous with payloads, ours is over 500kg which is good for us as we will be getting a moped or similar on a rear carrier eventually, and when we go to Europe we’ll have hab air con fitted.

Hope you find what is best for you, perhaps consider the french bed / rear washroom layout like ours but a longer version, that way you’ll have more living space and if you want to go sit on the bed and play guitar you don’t have to make up the bed or hold the button down wondering if the lowering bed mechanism is going to fail

😄

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
do you grease/oil the struts every few weeks as recommended?

I keep meaning to ask you about this. I checked my manual, and there’s no mention of it, but for reason I have the c tourer manual, so goodness knows!

So which bits and what with? (Ptfe, I assume, rather than wd40?! I also have sticky drawers, and wondered if ptfe would be the best thing for those, too!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I keep meaning to ask you about this. I checked my manual, and there’s no mention of it, but for reason I have the c tourer manual, so goodness knows!

So which bits and what with? (Ptfe, I assume, rather than wd40?! I also have sticky drawers, and wondered if ptfe would be the best thing for those, too!)
I've just asked hubby and according to him he uses Vaseline as recommended in the Carthago manual ... yes it really DOES say Vaseline! :giggle:

He lubricates the moving parts on each side of the bed which are:
  • a long runner (similar to a drawer runner but a lot bigger) with a nylon 'bearing'
  • a securing hook (operated by the centre handle)
  • an 'elbow' joint bracket which articulates as the bed moves up/down
In addition he also does the pivot point behind the centre handle - you'll see it when young pull it out.

He found that by opening the sliding window on the driver's side and the door on the passenger's side he could easily access the sides to do the lubricating.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I've just asked hubby and according to him he uses Vaseline as recommended in the Carthago manual ... yes it really DOES say Vaseline! :giggle:

He lubricates the moving parts on each side of the bed which are:
  • a long runner (similar to a drawer runner but a lot bigger) with a nylon 'bearing'
  • a securing hook (operated by the centre handle)
  • an 'elbow' joint bracket which articulates as the bed moves up/down
In addition he also does the pivot point behind the centre handle - you'll see it when young pull it out.

He found that by opening the sliding window on the driver's side and the door on the passenger's side he could easily access the sides to do the lubricating.

I shall lubricate accordingly. Thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back