Run or stay. (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
lots of things can go wrong - do nothing, your cambelt sits there, everything else just sits there - months later you decide to 'go for a run'................

There probably is no answer but there is a saying 'use it or lose it'.................. I'd use it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
30 seconds is long enough to circulate engine oil with it being a pumped system.... Its not molasses your circulating.
Gearbox oil is splash fed so won't come to any harm being stood.
Brake disc rust will clear in a couple of pedal strokes... Its only surface rust.
Really can't see the point of running up to temperature for the sake of it

Lord Austin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ace Airstream 630
To start or not to start, that is the question.
Last winter I ran the van half hour stationary and sometimes on the road up to temperature each month. This question was raised by a forum member and I decided to follow advise he received for this winter. That is to better leave engine standing than just monthly starts to protect the exhaust system. Now I am confused as some think this is a mistake. Another point this winter is I can only run it stationary because of lockdown. Hymer 3 litre.

To start or not to start, that is the question.
Last winter I ran the van half hour stationary and sometimes on the road up to temperature each month. This question was raised by a forum member and I decided to follow advise he received for this winter. That is to better leave engine standing than just monthly starts to protect the exhaust system. Now I am confused as some think this is a mistake. Another point this winter is I can only run it stationary because of lockdown. Hymer 3 litre.

30 seconds is long enough to circulate engine oil with it being a pumped system.... Its not molasses your circulating.
Gearbox oil is splash fed so won't come to any harm being stood.
Brake disc rust will clear in a couple of pedal strokes... Its only surface rust.
Really can't see the point of running up to temperature for the sake of it
As long as it is run up to temp and exhaust is hot no condensation should be left in engine or exhaust.
Nothing stopping you driving local to do some shopping it will clear disc's of any surface rust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back