Run or stay. (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
To start or not to start, that is the question.
Last winter I ran the van half hour stationary and sometimes on the road up to temperature each month. This question was raised by a forum member and I decided to follow advise he received for this winter. That is to better leave engine standing than just monthly starts to protect the exhaust system. Now I am confused as some think this is a mistake. Another point this winter is I can only run it stationary because of lockdown. Hymer 3 litre.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Running a 8 mtr A class would draw attention & hope not to have breakdown. My car registered would blow the shopping trip excuse. No unessecary travel is the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Running a 8 mtr A class would draw attention & hope not to have breakdown. My car registered would blow the shopping trip excuse. No unessecary travel is the problem.
the choice of vehicle you use to do your shopping is yours. I took my Van (Only PVC) until sense overtook and the Ā£30 year car tax made my decision to SORN the van at the end of December

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
Any engine with a diesel particulate filter will clog up if the engine is left idling, causing it to go to limp mode.
It needs either a good blast on the motorway or left alone.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its only half a metre longer than ours. We took ours out yesterday to go get some LPG, saw the police in the filling station. He smiled and said nothing. You aren't doing anything illegally using it locally.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would never start the engine and run it stationary risk of too much damage as it will never get up to operating temperature.
I took mine for a run before Christmas will take it out again in a couple of weeks, see plenty of Motorhomes on the road around here. My neighoubor took his to do the shopping yesterday.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would never start the engine and run it stationary risk of too much damage as it will never get up to operating temperature.
I took mine for a run before Christmas will take it out again in a couple of weeks, see plenty of Motorhomes on the road around here. My neighoubor took his to do the shopping yesterday.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
To start or not to start, that is the question.
Last winter I ran the van half hour stationary and sometimes on the road up to temperature each month. This question was raised by a forum member and I decided to follow advise he received for this winter. That is to better leave engine standing than just monthly starts to protect the exhaust system. Now I am confused as some think this is a mistake. Another point this winter is I can only run it stationary because of lockdown. Hymer 3 litre.
Which 3.0 litre engine - if pre 2010 ish Euro IV then no dpf is fitted so running up to temp every few weeks would be fine.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It has two CAT's it will damage those and glaze the bores.
But it will also circulate oil to all parts of engine and gearbox aswell as air con seals, the heat will clear any moisture that's collected in engine and bay so worth the off chance of a bit of cat contamination which will burn off once warm. Not sure whether the risk of bore glazing is really that big an issue

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Any engine with a diesel particulate filter will clog up if the engine is left idling, causing it to go to limp mode.
It needs either a good blast on the motorway or left alone.
Therefore a good blast on the motorway is an essential periodic maintenance procedure. It's what the manufacturers expect and recommend. You are not in contact with any other person, so there is no Covid risk.

So you're not contravening regulations. But even if you were, as Jenrick says, it's fine because it's only in a limited and specific way:unsure::giggle:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Did my monthly 50 mile run yesterday. Good blast cleans it out. Totally agree with Lenny, ticking over isn't good and doesn't charge the battery.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Similar post just been posted on Faceache!!
Must need a second opinion doctor :rofl:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Methinks a lot of advice is "do as I say" on this forum, although given in good faith.
I'm sure that if serious damage was being done, we'd know the specifics.
I cannot imagine dealers doing anything more than leaving their stock where it is,
or just moving things around rather than 'taking them for exercise'.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You can use either vehicle to shop.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I sometimes have to start the engine to move the MH in our yard, but when I do I stay in the seat and run it for 15-20 mins at 1000+ rpm. It will not get to operating temperature, especially in winter, but it should by then be warm enough to get the oil all around and the gearbox all to all the gears including the 5th gear(internal) on a 2.8jtd.

How does this fit in with negative and positive comments on here?

I cannot take it for a run now as DVLA have not renewed my licence, yet.

Geoff

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I sometimes have to start the engine to move the MH in our yard, but when I do I stay in the seat and run it for 15-20 mins at 1000+ rpm. It will not get to operating temperature, especially in winter, but it should by then be warm enough to get the oil all around and the gearbox all to all the gears including the 5th gear(internal) on a 2.8jtd.

How does this fit in with negative and positive comments on here?

I cannot take it for a run now as DVLA have not renewed my licence, yet.

Geoff
50/50 for and against

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Geoff said, I cannot take it for a run now as DVLA have not renewed my licence, yet.

I am still waiting for my licence but spoke to others via here and someone a clause 88 for the licence.
You have to call your GP and ask him to confirm that in his/her opinion you are fit to drive, they have to enter that request on your notes so it can be confirmed should you be stopped by the police.
only allowed in the UK though.
My GP told me he has done this for quite a few of his patients but DVLA often ask same questions twice so there is a delay.
Hope this helps.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff said, I cannot take it for a run now as DVLA have not renewed my licence, yet.

I am still waiting for my licence but spoke to others via here and someone a clause 88 for the licence.
You have to call your GP and ask him to confirm that in his/her opinion you are fit to drive, they have to enter that request on your notes so it can be confirmed should you be stopped by the police.
only allowed in the UK though.
My GP told me he has done this for quite a few of his patients but DVLA often ask same questions twice so there is a delay.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, but S.88 of the RTA, being UK and not international legislation, only covers one in the UK and I am in Poland.

Geoff

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
We will never get a definitive answer for this one.. and by God it is not for the want of trying... Everyone have their own thoughts and experiences on whether to "run or stay".
For the record I am a devout "If you can't give it a decent run don't start it.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Geoff said, Thanks, but S.88 of the RTA, being UK and not international legislation, only covers one in the UK and I am in Poland.

I DID say it only applied in the UK !! never knew you are in Poland ! Information applies to UK applicants !

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Took mine out for a run, have a dual carriageway near me thatā€™s 10 miles long and no turn offs.
Went up around the roundabout and back.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff said, Thanks, but S.88 of the RTA, being UK and not international legislation, only covers one in the UK and I am in Poland.

I DID say it only applied in the UK !! never knew you are in Poland ! Information applies to UK applicants !

'Poland' in my location and Polish flag, both on my Avatar.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Thanks, but S.88 of the RTA, being UK and not international legislation, only covers one in the UK and I am in Poland.

Geoff
Geoff when my licence was due last September at age of 73 I had medical with Doctor sent it in and all paperwork to DVLA they sent me a new licence for just one year and said they would accept that medical in September this year.
When I renewed it 70 I had to have exercise ECG on treadmill so expect they will make me have another this year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But it will also circulate oil to all parts of engine and gearbox aswell as air con seals, the heat will clear any moisture that's collected in engine and bay so worth the off chance of a bit of cat contamination which will burn off once warm. Not sure whether the risk of bore glazing is really that big an issue
With engines around 7-8 grand these days its not worth the risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back