Rough crossing on ferry. (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Saturday night / Sunday morning saw us on Cap Finister from Santander to Portsmouth. Quite a rough crossing and although I was not seasick found it hard to sleep due to worry about how the love of my life was feeling.

I was concerned as she'd never been shaken around so much before, even standing still was a problem, I thought at one point she might slide and end up tight against some truckers, big brutish looking they were ! The seas were a bit better next day so I could relax and when we were told it was time to leave the ferry I did a full inspection of her bodywork and all was well. Do other people worry so much about the MH on ferries ?

The wife ?? Oh, I think she was OK, never really asked !!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Some members have has a rough time in the bay of Biscay and promised never to return via this route. Others have a smooth crossing. It is what it is! You pays your money and take your chances.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
was ther not a thread on here about how much the ferry people pay out think about £8000
There has been a long thread about Ferry insurance, if this is what you are referring to and it does not make for good reading if your motorhome is lost or damages whilst on the high seas. Something to do with Maritime law. As best as I can recall, ferry operators will not pay out and expect you to claim from your own insurance cover. (The debate then widened as best as I can recall to the effect may insurance providers do not include ferry crossings in their policy).

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I am insured with the Caravan & Motorhome Club (Devitt ins co.) I have just checked with them - all is well my MoHo is covered for ferry crossings! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Something to do with Maritime law. As best as I can recall, ferry operators will not pay out and expect you to claim from your own insurance cover.
Absolute minefield (excuse the pun)!
Carriage would be under Hague-Visby Rules or, more likely, Hamburg Rules which restricts the carriers liability in a number of instances. After that you've then got Average and General Average clauses which entitle the captain to abandon cargo, ground the vessel, etc, etc, etc, ..... to save the vessel itself costs of which the cargo owners contribute. Can take years to reach settlement!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our preferred BF across the Bay of Biscay, is the Pont Aven. It's the flagship, but more importantly the largest in the fleet. Seems to cope better than the others in inclement weather. Crossed the Bay in a storm force 8, and no bother at all. Must admit, slept most of the way through the storm. :)

Reactions: f6c
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am insured with the Caravan & Motorhome Club (Devitt ins co.) I have just checked with them - all is well my MoHo is covered for ferry crossings! :)
Happy to hear that! I trust the cover is comprehensive and payout in full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
IMG_4557.PNG
IMG_3710.PNG
It's true

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Absolute minefield (excuse the pun)!
Carriage would be under Hague-Visby Rules or, more likely, Hamburg Rules which restricts the carriers liability in a number of instances. After that you've then got Average and General Average clauses which entitle the captain to abandon cargo, ground the vessel, etc, etc, etc, ..... to save the vessel itself costs of which the cargo owners contribute. Can take years to reach settlement!
Worry is like a Rocking Horse,,,gives you something to do but gets you nowhere,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back