Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting thread. Thanks.
does anyone use the Amazon fire stick in a Cararec tv ?
im wondering if the fire stick needs a separate power supply or does it work off of the tv ?
mom trying to avoid having wires trailing all over the place , and also don’t have an inverter.
thanks

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Word of warning re data plans, I have a Smarty unlimited sim in my MiFi, this limits to 20gb/month in Europe. After only 7 days I had a message from Smarty saving that I had exceeded their 20gb, this despite very little use, no video etc. Upon checking our various iPhones and iPads, 6 in total, they all had Background App Refresh set to on, as the MiFi signal in seen by the devices as a Wi-fi signal they were using this to refresh their apps using goodness knows how much data.
This is easily turned off in General - Background App Refresh.
Luckily I have 100gb of data on my iphone from EE, they sent me a text on arrival in Spain saying that they were suspending their fair use policy of 20gb per month in Europe during the pandemic!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
i
bought a puck and a huawei modem, but have been told you NEED th have a two cable setup to get 4G
i cannot understand why if the modem get 4G by itself and has one connectio why does it need an in and out cable for an aerial. It was bloke at Poynting that said it, I might understand 5G but not 4G
Any body more i formedthan me that might explain it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Word of warning re data plans, I have a Smarty unlimited sim in my MiFi, this limits to 20gb/month in Europe. After only 7 days I had a message from Smarty saving that I had exceeded their 20gb, this despite very little use, no video etc. Upon checking our various iPhones and iPads, 6 in total, they all had Background App Refresh set to on, as the MiFi signal in seen by the devices as a Wi-fi signal they were using this to refresh their apps using goodness knows how much data.
This is easily turned off in General - Background App Refresh.
Luckily I have 100gb of data on my iphone from EE, they sent me a text on arrival in Spain saying that they were suspending their fair use policy of 20gb per month in Europe during the pandemic!
I have gone with a Voxi sim for £15.00 per month on a 30 day rolling contract, it is only 15gb but promises unlimited social media and video ie Netflix and Amazon prime + others, there is also unlimited calls, texts and picture messages included, not that they will get much use in a router, Voxi would seem to be Vodafones answer to Giff Gaff.

Mar 18, 2018
Congham , Near King's Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1967
I have a Motorhome WiFi roof mounted 4G antenna system, paired with an EE unlimited data SIM, which I use for working from Motorhome, with this I am able to use my Lap Top with a second 24” screen to ‘Splashtop” into my office desktop computer plus importantly use a VoIP NEC hard wired extension phone, which is connected to/part of my office based NEC phone system, (I previously had an O2 SIM card but was unable to get the VoIP phone to work through O2 in remote weak signal areas due to latency timing issues) with EE I am able to work, with a robust signal connection, virtually anywhere in the UK including remote parts of Scotland. We also run 2 x iPads & 2 x iPhones plus Amazon Fire stick for watching movies & BBC & ITV catch up services, also have an Echo Auto which connects to the Motorhome radio/ sound system via my iPhone, to the Motorhome WiFi system, plus we have our iPhones set up to send & receive calls via WiFi (which greatly improves call quality in weak signal areas) and we also have a satellite system Humax which is hard wired into the router. This year in 7 weeks in Scotland I used 315 Gb of data, so you can see I am an intensive user.

As I occasionally get connection issues with the phone router and NEC office based system, which needs a re-boot to sort out, I have the office based phone router and NEC phone system powered via Kasa plugs which are operated of the main server WiFi connection, so I can remotely re-boot the NEC phone system as and when necessary, from my iPad.

We have the Huwaiei router which has a 4 port hub, which is hardwired directly via CAT 8 high quality cables into my LapTop as this gives better results with Spalshtop and Zoom, plus into a PoE router for my VoIP phone, our Humax and Amazon Fire Stick.

Finally, and IMPORTANTLY, Adam at Motorhome WiFi is very knowlegable and helpful if you have any technical issues, he helped me, responding promptly to emails on a Sunday, 2 years plus after I bought the system, when I had an issue with my VoIP phone connection.

I travel with a Vanbitz fitted 3 x leisure batteries, 4 solar panels and a Dometic Inverter system, so I can work virtually anywhere, off grid, all day, everyday in our Swift Bolero 714SB - I need 230volts for my PoE router and Dell 24” second monitor, plus for the Humax if we want to record a program.

When we are at home, during weekends & school holidays , when our neighbours children are all intensively using their broadbands and slowing down our phone line operated broadband, we switch over to using the WiFi on our Motorhome based system in the house - from our Motorhome which is parked at home on our drive.

Hoping you find this helpful.

Last edited:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
... but have been told you NEED the have a two cable setup to get 4G
i cannot understand why if the modem get 4G by itself and has one connection why does it need an in and out cable for an aerial.

Antennas with two connectors are better than single ones: You actually have more than one antenna, each with a different connection. The technique is called MIMO (see here):
  • It means you can get usually get a stronger signal, as one or the other antenna will get a better signal, and it switches between the two.
  • In 4G (LTE) you can get a faster connection as you can use both antennas at the same time.
In both of the above, your MiFi/ Router will do this automatically... Hope that explains it a bit better!
Cheers

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi I have fitted a Maxview Roam Mobile 3G/4G WiFi System - MXL050 and use it with my Avtex connected hd tv. e an Amazon Firestick which is brilliant.
I use an unlimted data SIM from Smarty @£20 a month worked brilliantly at Hunstanton with the kids using their tablets and phones connected to it, even though my phone signal was weak. It also amplifies site Wifi, but with he SIM this was unnecessary. Took about an hour to fit, 25mm hole in roof needed into a cupboard, no sealant needed and has been dry in last weeks weather, .needs 12V or mains.

I have satellite but find the 4G setup better. 5G is not widely available yet and may not be for a while. Smarty do not limit use in the EU but do outside the EU. https://smarty.co.uk/roaming As said before it is a rolling contract so can cancel anytime.
PS you can use it while driving (Kids in belted seats)

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
PS to add to the above it is Omni-directional MIMO (multiple in multiple out as cbrookson points out

DrunkenDuncan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2018
Brize Norton
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600L
Exp
Not enough!
We have a roof mounted antenna from Motorhome wi fit but don’t get any better signal than the Huwaei used on its own, my phone got a much better speed with the SIM card swapped into it.

I am not saying it is no good but I seem to do better tethering to my phone.
You are not alone there. Our installation with a 3 (SMARTY) SIM gives us the same results. Discussed this at length with Motorhome WiFi and the only conclusion was to swap to different SIM which I have not got around to trying yet. Anywhere with a weak phone signal appears to be awful for the MiFi as well. Would like to know the difference between our installations and what Sapper520 has installed?

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Re the speed questions :
Does the roof top aerial need to be higher than any other metal items on the roof to ensure it gets a good signal?
Would the phone be a higher speed class than the router so has the ability to connect at higher speeds?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
You are not alone there. Our installation with a 3 (SMARTY) SIM gives us the same results. Discussed this at length with Motorhome WiFi and the only conclusion was to swap to different SIM which I have not got around to trying yet. Anywhere with a weak phone signal appears to be awful for the MiFi as well. Would like to know the difference between our installations and what Sapper520 has installed?
All I know is the phone works better and it was cheaper.
Would I bother again , no
I know nothing about IT
I don’t stream for obvious reasons and am not interested in all sorts of reasons/excuses 🙂

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Smarty do not limit use in the EU but do outside the EU. https://smarty.co.uk/roaming As said before it is a rolling contract so can cancel anytime.
On page 9 of the link the Fair Use policy limits use in the EU to 20 gb per month.
I have a Smarty and that is my understanding.

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Coachbult Newbie but 45+yrs caravanning
One of the biggest benefits beyond improved signal strength is that all our devices (2x phones, 1x iPad, 1x laptop) use the same unlimited £20 (inc. roaming) data sim
If that is NOT with 3 as it poor reception in my home area, I would love to know if the deal is still on !

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
O2 are offering 150gb per month 12 month contract £23.00 offer runs out 4th November. Confirmed you can use 150gb per month in Europe. (if we ever get there)! Don't go for unlimited as all of them are capped.

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
If that is NOT with 3 as it poor reception in my home area, I would love to know if the deal is still on !
O2 are offering 150gb per month 12 month contract £23.00 offer runs out 4th November. Confirmed you can use 150gb per month in Europe. (if we ever get there)! Don't go for unlimited as all of them are capped.
That's great news; spoke to Tesco Mobile O2 yesterday and best deal they could do was £15 a month for 30 gb we'll speak to O2 direct tomorrow.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I stand corrected Smarty Limit is 20Gb per month in EU countries, best to take a few Sims and use from phone perhaps

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
That's great news; spoke to Tesco Mobile O2 yesterday and best deal they could do was £15 a month for 30 gb we'll speak to O2 direct tomorrow.

Very disappointed!!! Beware!! Wanted the 150MB deal for £23 pm. Back to research for a good data sim only deal for my mifi. Anybody found one yet?

" Reading the small print on 02 site today looks limited for data roaming in Europe to 50mb not 150 Gb!!
  1. There’s no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, so to manage traffic we may slow down the service. We may also slow down the service if you reach a level of data consumption which we deem to be excessive, network affecting, affecting the use of other customers or usage that is not in accordance with your terms of service. This will be more than 150MB of general data or more than 50MB of streamed video or audio data (the "assumed fair usage amounts”) in a day. Audio and video streaming are available with O2 Travel but the quality of the audio/video will be optimised for a mobile device. The speed available for file transfer, online gaming, peer to peer downloads and network back-up services is restricted and may not work with O2 Travel. You can view our traffic management policy here.
  2. You may not use your Smartphone as a personal hotspot connection (this is also known as tethering) while using data on O2 Travel.
  3. If travelling between countries where O2 Travel is applicable, within the same 24 hour period then the data usage, call minutes and text allowance will be based on UK time.
  4. Any unused and assumed fair usage amount of data will not carry over to the following day.
    Any unused and assumed Daily Allowances will not carry over to the following day. "

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
  1. There’s no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, so to manage traffic we may slow down the service. We may also slow down the service if you reach a level of data consumption which we deem to be excessive, network affecting, affecting the use of other customers or usage that is not in accordance with your terms of service. This will be more than 150MB of general data or more than 50MB of streamed video or audio data (the "assumed fair usage amounts”) in a day. Audio and video streaming are available with O2 Travel but the quality of the audio/video will be optimised for a mobile device. The speed available for file transfer, online gaming, peer to peer downloads and network back-up services is restricted and may not work with O2 Travel. You can view our traffic management policy here.
  2. You may not use your Smartphone as a personal hotspot connection (this is also known as tethering) while using data on O2 Travel.
  3. If travelling between countries where O2 Travel is applicable, within the same 24 hour period then the data usage, call minutes and text allowance will be based on UK time.
  4. Any unused and assumed fair usage amount of data will not carry over to the following day.
    Any unused and assumed Daily Allowances will not carry over to the following day.

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
I have a Motorhome WiFi roof mounted 4G antenna system, paired with an EE unlimited data SIM, which I use for working from Motorhome, with this I am able to use my Lap Top with a second 24” screen to ‘Splashtop” into my office desktop computer plus importantly use a VoIP NEC hard wired extension phone, which is connected to/part of my office based NEC phone system, (I previously had an O2 SIM card but was unable to get the VoIP phone to work through O2 in remote weak signal areas due to latency timing issues) with EE I am able to work, with a robust signal connection, virtually anywhere in the UK including remote parts of Scotland. We also run 2 x iPads & 2 x iPhones plus Amazon Fire stick for watching movies & BBC & ITV catch up services, also have an Echo Auto which connects to the Motorhome radio/ sound system via my iPhone, to the Motorhome WiFi system, plus we have our iPhones set up to send & receive calls via WiFi (which greatly improves call quality in weak signal areas) and we also have a satellite system Humax which is hard wired into the router. This year in 7 weeks in Scotland I used 315 Gb of data, so you can see I am an intensive user.

As I occasionally get connection issues with the phone router and NEC office based system, which needs a re-boot to sort out, I have the office based phone router and NEC phone system powered via Kasa plugs which are operated of the main server WiFi connection, so I can remotely re-boot the NEC phone system as and when necessary, from my iPad.

We have the Huwaiei router which has a 4 port hub, which is hardwired directly via CAT 8 high quality cables into my LapTop as this gives better results with Spalshtop and Zoom, plus into a PoE router for my VoIP phone, our Humax and Amazon Fire Stick.

Finally, and IMPORTANTLY, Adam at Motorhome WiFi is very knowlegable and helpful if you have any technical issues, he helped me, responding promptly to emails on a Sunday, 2 years plus after I bought the system, when I had an issue with my VoIP phone connection.

I travel with a Vanbitz fitted 3 x leisure batteries, 4 solar panels and a Dometic Inverter system, so I can work virtually anywhere, off grid, all day, everyday in our Swift Bolero 714SB - I need 230volts for my PoE router and Dell 24” second monitor, plus for the Humax if we want to record a program.

When we are at home, during weekends & school holidays , when our neighbours children are all intensively using their broadbands and slowing down our phone line operated broadband, we switch over to using the WiFi on our Motorhome based system in the house - from our Motorhome which is parked at home on our drive.

Hoping you find this helpful.
Hi, The devil's always in the detail for roaming!!

Roaming: £10.00 (inc VAT) a month. Available to new and existing Consumer and Small Business Customers on a Pay Monthly Plan or selected 12 month SIM only phone plans. The add-on starts as soon as we receive your request. Offer subject to change. You can cancel at any time. Deposit needed for roaming in limited circumstances. Subject to credit check. Access your standard plan allowances in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand in addition to the UK & EU/EEA. Remember, data fair use policy outside UK of 15GB applies. See ee.co.uk/terms for countries and details. Allowances last until next bill or until used up, whichever comes first. Allowances don’t roll over. Our stable links policy applies, as set out in the Plan Terms. Once you have used up the allowance, or hit your 15GB fair use amount, standard rates apply as set out in the Non-Standard Price Guide.
Not sure if the above applies to data only contracts?
Don't forget inflation busting price increases coming down the line soon.
"....
The monthly price shown, add-ons and all out of bundle charges will increase on or after 31st March every year by the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation published in January that year, plus 3.9%. See ee.co.uk/increase for details. Please note the cost of other services you take from us may increase or decrease while you’re an EE customer.

*EU roaming: You can use your full plan allowance of mins, texts and data in the EU. "

The search goes on for the best all round data sim package!!

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just to clarify the situation on SIM's in case it is of use to anyone;

There’s no fixed data allowance with O2 Travel, so to manage traffic we may slow down the service. We may also slow down the service if you reach a level of data consumption which we deem to be excessive, network affecting, affecting the use of other customers or usage that is not in accordance with your terms of service. This will be more than 150MB of general data or more than 50MB of streamed video or audio data (the "assumed fair usage amounts”) in a day.

You are sort of right with regards to traffic management (see next quote / reply) but O2 Travel is for use outside of Europe: https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

Stay connected on your travels with O2 - If you're travelling within our Europe Zone, your minutes, data and texts will work just as they do at home. If you're travelling outside of our Europe Zone, then O2 Travel is the perfect way to stay connected when you're on holiday.

If you select 'France' for example, this page states "In our Europe Zone. Allowances on Pay Monthly will work like they do in the UK. You don’t need O2 Travel."

There is no cap with O2, however I've had a number of customers report to us that speeds are very slow when compared with EE/Vodafone roaming on the same network so I would urge caution if purchasing for use abroad. O2's traffic management policy is here:

O2 also have the weakest network in the UK for 4G, hence why they are the only network not to offer a 4G home broadband option as Vodafone, EE, Three do. Great GSM coverage though, hence why people us O2 SIM's for GSM trackers etc.

I have gone with a Voxi sim for £15.00 per month on a 30 day rolling contract, it is only 15gb but promises unlimited social media and video ie Netflix and Amazon prime + others, there is also unlimited calls, texts and picture messages included, not that they will get much use in a router, Voxi would seem to be Vodafones answer to Giff Gaff.

You've not mentioned using it abroad, but just in case "If you have a Video Pass, you can use your pass in our Europe Zone with a fair use policy of 5GB per month. " https://help.voxi.co.uk/plans-and-extras/1040532902/Is-there-a-cap-on-endless-data.htm

No excuses (Steve and Denise) but the only difference will probably usage area. Smarty is great value and if it works, then that's great. But the difference with that an EE SIM card is night and day so it's always worth requesting a free EE SIM card even just to keep as a 'backup' https://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

Hi, The devil's always in the detail for roaming!!

....Remember, data fair use policy outside UK of 15GB applies.

The search goes on for the best all round data sim package!!

This is out of date information from EE, but it is hard to find and a lot of info is out of date. This is the current roaming agreement: Broken Link Removed

If your domestic data allowance is greater than 50GB, a fair usage policy of 25GB whilst roaming in our Europe Zone will apply (i.e. you can use up to 25GB from your allowance while roaming). The only exceptions are if you are on a plan with over 60GB or a plan with over 100GB domestic data allowance – these are subject to a fair usage policy of 30GB on a 60GB plan or above, and 60GB on a plan of 100GB or above. Once you’ve used your fair use policy amount when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply to continue using data when roaming in our Europe Zone.

Therefore if you are on 100GB or Unlimited EE plan you get 60GB to use abroad - which is quite good.

Also, the £8.99 EE Video Pass appears to allow 'unlimited' use abroad of Netflix, iPlayer, Youtube etc - yet to be confirmed by someone in Europe but I have someone out there testing this in November. EE confirmed to me that it doesn't count towards your fair usage, but I'll believe that when I see it.

In terms of the 'best' plan, we can still offer our mobile broadband customers the Vodafone 100GB Data plan for £20pm on a 2 year contract with no EU cap on time or data used abroad.

If you're a gambling man, ID Mobile and Superdrug Mobile (both based on Smarty/Three) will happily tell you they have no roaming cap abroad on their Unlimited plan. Someone here posted problems when using Superdrug, but I've had 2 customers now send me screengrabs of usage of ID mobile over 300GB in Europe - however they are strict on the 2 months in 4 abroad. Keep in mind as they're based on Three then speeds will be slower than EE/Voda and you can only roam onto 2 of 4 networks in most countries.

Remember if using Smarty/ID etc abroad you will need to manually set the APN settings in the router.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Power Supply Unit.
I don't think the Teltonika runs off 12V DC
I'm sure they all do. They are aimed at the commercial vehicle (truck, coach, bus etc) market. I have the RUTX11 which has an odd 4-way plug, and comes with a mains wall charger. The router runs from 9 to 50V, and there are other wires available powered from cigarette-lighter socket or a 4-way screw terminal block. It only fits the RUTX models, but I'm sure similar stuff is available for the RUT950 types.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Re the speed questions :
Does the roof top aerial need to be higher than any other metal items on the roof to ensure it gets a good signal?
Not necessarly higher but best to have clear space around I think they recommended 400mm, difficult on a Motorhome roof.

Here is mine., works well.

P1140291.JPG

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Screenshot_20201129_095822.jpg

Netgear AirCard 790 with 2 x Magnetic External Aerials, with Superdrug Unlimited Data Sim Only, £20 per Month, No Contract, Activate in UK before Travel...
Someone on here,Cris asked 3 if it meant Truly Unlimited, No speed restrictions ect in EU, here's the Reply Above...

Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis 196
Hi I have fitted a Maxview Roam Mobile 3G/4G WiFi System - MXL050 and use it with my Avtex connected hd tv. e an Amazon Firestick which is brilliant.
I use an unlimted data SIM from Smarty @£20 a month worked brilliantly at Hunstanton with the kids using their tablets and phones connected to it, even though my phone signal was weak. It also amplifies site Wifi, but with he SIM this was unnecessary. Took about an hour to fit, 25mm hole in roof needed into a cupboard, no sealant needed and has been dry in last weeks weather, .needs 12V or mains.

I have satellite but find the 4G setup better. 5G is not widely available yet and may not be for a while. Smarty do not limit use in the EU but do outside the EU. https://smarty.co.uk/roaming As said before it is a rolling contract so can cancel anytime.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think they have what they like to call a fair use policy for Data which would not let you watch much TV in Europe..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
View attachment 444352
Netgear AirCard 790 with 2 x Magnetic External Aerials, with Superdrug Unlimited Data Sim Only, £20 per Month, No Contract, Activate in UK before Travel...
Someone on here,Cris asked 3 if it meant Truly Unlimited, No speed restrictions ect in EU, here's the Reply Above...
Is that on new sim contracts or just older ones.Tesco give unlimited data abroad but on on contracts taken out before 16th June 2022..BUSBY.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don’t use 02 they know it’s in a router and stop it working, confirmed by motorhome Wi-Fi when I asked

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t use 02 they know it’s in a router and stop it working, confirmed by motorhome Wi-Fi when I asked
Get a Tiekom data sim 300gb €39 per month approx £33 no fair usage and can be used in most EU and Uk destinations you can pause whenever you want costs €3 to pause each month you don’t use😊

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back