Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
The Teltonika arrived yesterday along with the sim card from EE (unlimited data £27 a month)

as a test just sat on a table in my house with one aerial plugged in, I was getting 30mb download and 15mb up.

My van is in the garage getting brake fluid changed so when I get it back ill fit it all and see how it goes. If needs be I will get a proper external aerial fitted, but I'm hoping this will suffice.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Teltonika 955 is what I have, linked to a Poynting roof antenna. I got it because I wanted a unit which could be permanently left on which is risky with a MiFi as the batteries have been reported to swell.

In my tests it isn't faster than a Huawei 5577 and in hindsight I should have got a different and cheaper Teltonika as the 955 has GPS connections and is dual sim which I don't need. But it is a good unit and the web interface very comprehensive. Overall I'm very happy with it and the only gripe is it is tricky to fix it in the MH so it just sits loose in a cupboard.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
I only got the 955 as it has aerials that can be moved a tad as opposed to the stick on the back ones on the 950. It was only £30 more than the 950 as well so It seemed worth it. Also as I got it from Amazon, I can return up to Jan 31 if its not as good!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The Teltonika 955 is what I have, linked to a Poynting roof antenna. I got it because I wanted a unit which could be permanently left on which is risky with a MiFi as the batteries have been reported to swell.

In my tests it isn't faster than a Huawei 5577 and in hindsight I should have got a different and cheaper Teltonika as the 955 has GPS connections and is dual sim which I don't need. But it is a good unit and the web interface very comprehensive. Overall I'm very happy with it and the only gripe is it is tricky to fix it in the MH so it just sits loose in a cupboard.

with my netgear M2, they recommend that the battery be removed when leaving it connected to power supply permanently - it might be worth you seeing if yours would work with the battery removed? (and using a permanent power supply of course LOL)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
with my netgear M2, they recommend that the battery be removed when leaving it connected to power supply permanently - it might be worth you seeing if yours would work with the battery removed? (and using a permanent power supply of course LOL)
A quick Google suggests that might be possible with a Huawei mifi but it requires hacking the firmware.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
might be worth a try?

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
If its TV you want just get a Sky sim card and link it to your home Sky.

For our last two holidays in France we have cast the phone to the TV and used Sky Go. Any TV prog on our home service is available in France on our Avtex TV free of charge without a dish.
Sim costs £6 pm and gives unlimited TV and 2 Gb internet data. But if you don't use it it goes into a piggy bank for up to 3 years. We only use that phone for holidays and with the spare data off the other Sky phone can easily take 50Gb data with us for internet use.

Buy your SKY sim via TopCashback when the offers are on (5-6 time a year at least) and get a £6 sim for £4.50 per month.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all,

can anyone give me the benefits of either of these?

Which one is likely the best option?

Are they an easy install or is it worth getting a professional to ruin my roof?!!!

<Broken link removed>

Oh and my family are extremely heavy internet users!

Many thanks

Paul
You may have noticed that the second one has a Huawei logo thereon which might be an issue with the HMG dealings with them, ie not at all!

Dave n Marisa

Free Member
Aug 19, 2020
Weston-super-Mare
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Sky sim gives you unlimited download using Skygo outside of your data plan, which is great.

I didnt think you could put Skygo from your mobile to your TV or use sky outside of the Country. But you have done both successfully have you?

Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
So I had a Motorhome WiFi unit on my last van, I did think it expensive. The antennas are made I think by Panorama and can be purchased from a German electronics company Reichelt for a little over 100 Euro. That's hooked up to the Huawei mifi. Works very well with an ee data sim works throughout most of Scotland Western Isles and the Orkneys. Never used it for TV, don't see the point, I travel to nice places to see the view. I look at a screen of one sort or another at work, last thing I want to do is watch one when I should be enjoying myself. I prefer the radio and music. The radio I get working with an external aerial mounted on a quarter wave plate that looks like a solar panel extension. Unfortunately planet rock dies here and there but otherwise all good.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
WiFi Onboard. ! Huwai 4/5g router.12 volt stabiliser, (runs off leisure batts.) two antennas. Data and wifi extender. 3 "all you can eat" sim.
at the high end of price. But does what it says on the box. perfect.
The antenna also severs as my "
IMG_3302.jpg
height limit tester"

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's my reasoning. Add to that and xbox and an apple TV and I'm burning 10-20gb a day without breaking into a sweat!!
Blimey,,you must spend some time watching telly.I can't find anything worth watching at the Binging on Vikings. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The Teltonika arrived yesterday along with the sim card from EE (unlimited data £27 a month)

as a test just sat on a table in my house with one aerial plugged in, I was getting 30mb download and 15mb up.

My van is in the garage getting brake fluid changed so when I get it back ill fit it all and see how it goes. If needs be I will get a proper external aerial fitted, but I'm hoping this will suffice.
Does EE give you unlimited data in Europe,,BUSBY.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
"Oi, someones nicked your engine off the front of your motorhome ...."

Yeah, That was some ...... MAN .... did that !

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
We have a roof mounted antenna from Motorhome wi fit but don’t get any better signal than the Huwaei used on its own, my phone got a much better speed with the SIM card swapped into it.

I am not saying it is no good but I seem to do better tethering to my phone.

One of the frustrations of most of the Mifi units available (I've got the Huawei E5577C that a lot have) is that they can be better than your phone if the signal is weak and you have an external antenna, but if the signal is strong then the Mifi throughput is often MUCH less than you get on a modern smartphone.

The reason for this lies mostly in the LTE category of the Mifi unit (but also partly in the internal processors used). For example the E5577C is rated as a Cat4 device (theoretically 150Mb download 50Mb upload, but in practice limited to about 50Mb down and up). The E5785 is a Cat6 device (theoretically 300Mb down, 50 up, but youtube videos show achieving around 70Mb down, 50 up). However the recent iPhones and I assume others are Cat16 and can achieve real speeds around 220Mb/s download.

Mifi routers and their categories

Another list of devices and LTE categories

So before choosing a 4g router I think it's worth checking what you are likely to be able to achieve in throughput vs your smartphone. I looked at the Teltronika RUT950 but it's only a Cat4 device. I'm now looking at the Netgear Aircard 810S which is Cat11.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
If you have 4g Mifi with unlimited Vodafone sim, would you be able to connect a laptop and fire TV at the same time without buffering?

Dave n Marisa

Free Member
Aug 19, 2020
Weston-super-Mare
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes, the Huawei E5577C I have can connect 10 devices at once. That's the main advantage over tethering your mobile phone

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Another list of devices and LTE categories

So before choosing a 4g router I think it's worth checking what you are likely to be able to achieve in throughput vs your smartphone. I looked at the Teltronika RUT950 but it's only a Cat4 device. I'm now looking at the Netgear Aircard 810S which is Cat11.
The netgear M2 isnt listed but the M1 shows as Cat 16, so i assume (hoping) the M2, that i have, is the same or better ...?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How do you do this, I tried but unable to get it to work.
You need a suitable TV or get a USB dongle which you can plug into it. The do les are about £30.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks DBK however the part I can’t fix is the sky screen message that screen mirroring is not permitted. What USB dongle do you use to receive the mirroring?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have 4g Mifi with unlimited Vodafone sim, would you be able to connect a laptop and fire TV at the same time without buffering?
Depends on how good the signal is but it shouldn't be a problem in most places.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DBK however the part I can’t fix is the sky screen message that screen mirroring is not permitted. What USB dongle do you use to receive the mirroring?
I haven't got one but I'm thinking of getting the Google Chromecast. Can't help on Sky - it may have restrictions.

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
The netgear M2 isnt listed but the M1 shows as Cat 16, so i assume (hoping) the M2, that i have, is the same or better ...?
The Netgear M2 claims to be Cat 20, and obviously this is reflected in the price. How have you found it in practice? I've seen some mixed reviews.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
If its TV you want just get a Sky sim card and link it to your home Sky.

For our last two holidays in France we have cast the phone to the TV and used Sky Go. Any TV prog on our home service is available in France on our Avtex TV free of charge without a dish.
Sim costs £6 pm and gives unlimited TV and 2 Gb internet data. But if you don't use it it goes into a piggy bank for up to 3 years. We only use that phone for holidays and with the spare data off the other Sky phone can easily take 50Gb data with us for internet use.

Buy your SKY sim via TopCashback when the offers are on (5-6 time a year at least) and get a £6 sim for £4.50 per month.

ive got an IPad on sky.........Ill look into that

most of the data will be used by my son on an xbox!! closely followed by me streaming movies!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back