bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Anyone know if adblu is toxic? Evertime I use one, I admire the ease and design of the bottle and spout. Pours easily without ‘glugging’ and I think the larger ones would be ideal for topping up the MH water tank whilst parked up on a pitch. Not sure how well they could be cleaned out first though

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Anyone know if adblu is toxic? Evertime I use one, I admire the ease and design of the bottle and spout. Pours easily without ‘glugging’ and I think the larger ones would be ideal for topping up the MH water tank whilst parked up on a pitch. Not sure how well they could be cleaned out first though
Adblue really unpleasant and corrosive. It forms crystals that remove paintwork very effectively! Having said that, I bought a VW 1.89 litre Adblue bottle that has a push down valve to avoid spillage and I decant the Adblue from larger containers. When the refill is complete, I wash the 1.89 litre container and the valve with copious amounts of water to flush any crystals and residue away [to avoid the chance of damage if a crystal enters the Adblue tank], so it is uncontaminated until the next Adblue decantin.

I bought a 3.7 litre watering can from the Chinese Shop on our last visit to Spain, perfect for topping up the washer bottle. Otherwise, a cheap and small plastic funnel [used to be able to buy them with a flexible tube, but difficult to find now] will work well. I have a large funnel and some shortened washing machine drainage hose for refilling the inboard water tank on the Burstner.

Steve

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Apparently it isn't toxic...................

What is AdBlue®?
  • AdBlue® is a 32.5% solution of high-purity urea in de-mineralized water that is clear, non-toxic and safe to handle and is not harmful to the environment.
  • AdBlue® is neither a fuel nor a fuel additive and has its own dedicated tank.
  • Any spillages of AdBlue® should be washed away with water.

-------------------

What is AdBlue and why do we need it?​

AdBlue is a non-toxic, non-flammable, odourless and biodegradable solution designed to help diesel vehicles meet the latest Euro 6 exhaust emission regulations.

It works in conjunction with a treatment system known as Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and is used by an increasing number of carmakers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
;) That's a very old urban myth. Read the links given.
Yup, I'm reading it.
major component is Urea

Urea (also known as carbamide) is a waste product of many living organisms, and is the major organic component of urine. This is because it is at the end of chain of reactions which break down the amino acids that make up proteins.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Yup, I'm reading it.
major component is Urea

Urea (also known as carbamide) is a waste product of many living organisms, and is the major organic component of urine. This is because it is at the end of chain of reactions which break down the amino acids that make up proteins.
Well, I'm not so sure about that.

is AdBlue pig urine?​

Just to confirm, AdBlue is not animal urine, we've heard them all over the years, cow urine, pig urine, the craziest one was fish urine (we're still not sure exactly how you would harvest that).
AdBlue is actually a high purity chemically produced carbamide solution dissolved in high purity de-ionised water.
Anything other than a high purity solution will cause the porous head of the SCR to fail just like limescale would in a kettle. Putting urine from any species into your machines AdBlue tank would cause irreversible damage to the SCR.
We're not sure what pigs urine looks like once it dries out but we expect it doesn't resemble anything like the white chalky residue which AdBlue leaves behind when it dries out, which incidentally is the part your SCR uses.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
OK I'll admit a bit of knowledge on this subject.

There are two types of Urea:

Both can be either a liquid or dehydrated and shipped as cake or powder.
From a chemical point of view they are almost identical.

The main Urea in use (and the cheaper one to make) is real Urea, which is normally made from cow pee.
Other animals such as humans, pigs and sheep can also be used.

The other type of Urea is known in the business as 'Technical Urea'
Chemically it's very similar, but costs more to make.
It is is produced by the reaction of ammonia with carbon dioxide to form hot “melt” granules.

Urea and Technical Urea are both widely shipped around the world and Urea is a major component in fertilisers and glues as well as AdBlue.

As an FYI MDF board is made from sawdust and Urea based glue.

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
we expect it doesn't resemble anything like the white chalky residue which AdBlue leaves behind when it dries out,
I don’t know anything about pigs urine, but I can tell you that human urine looks like that if left! 🤢

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
When I were a lad in the RAF we used to spray Urea on the runways and taxiways as a de icer.

Pete

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
To answer the OP, i probably wouldn't use an ex-ad blue container for my fresh water tank unless it had NAIVE written on it……which when you pour upside down says……….?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I have a vision of a white-coated urine collection operative lurking around pig pens and cow fields with a receptacle and funnel.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Why not skip the plastic tank altogether and just fill up from a pump at a fuel station? My van (Ford Transit) does about 3000 miles on a full tank of AdBlue by my calculations, so plenty of time to refill at a station when the warning light comes on, typically when about 1400 miles range left.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
In answer to the question, I'm still here, and have used them for that purpose, and my van doesn't even use adblue so I had to scavenge some.
Rinse out and leave open for a while to completely dry out.
Mike

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
It’s basically the chemical equivalent of pigs pi##
That’s what my mate tells me anyway and he’s an authority on the stuff.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Why not just buy a water container, save a lot of faffing about don't you think?

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I use a 25 litre water container and I have recycled a beer canister air vent inserted into the top of it so that I can decant water into my fresh water tank.......

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
Rumbled dear OH, no way am I going to be drinking water contaminated with p..s. 🤮

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why not just buy a water container, save a lot of faffing about don't you think?
I have not long bought 2 new 10L containers. However it seems such a waste every time I use adblu between our MH, work van and our car. More often than not the empty container ends up in the recycle bin along with all the other single use packaging. Just seems such a waste.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There's a widely distributed anecdote for those of us along the Thames Basin,your fresh water was previously someone else's fresh water at least six consecutive times before it was yours 😳, chin chin, bottoms up.
Mike
Luton was the first town to run a 'closed system' with water.
So most of their water is recycled, and recycled, and recycled again .......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back