Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Why is it that I take photos and write up a complete full spec sheet for the reluctant sale of my PVC MoHo and all I get is literally 20 - 30 emails from, what can only be, nutters on eBay.

Put the advert on yesterday and I wake up to masses of “I’ll give you £20k cash and pick it up today, take it or leave it”. That’s less than half advertised price!:sneaky:
Then the “Let me advertise it for you, just sign here” brigade,,,,,, and lord knows how many dealers ‘desperate’ to get their hands on it, with all sorts of deals offered.:eek:

What’s wrong with the world, it’s a reluctant and depressing sale for us and I did put we are not in a rush or desperate to sell.
So many jokers out there - eBay is a breeding ground.

Taken it off now - can do without all that c**p.

Apologies, rant over. :LOL:

Trikeman ;)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sadly the public domain is full of the whole range of 'chancers' which ultimately is its downfall. There are several other places to look where you may still pick up unwanted responses but perhaps Gumtree and others may be worthwhile having a punt at.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly advertising on ebay is a magnet for idiots, but you have to learn to screen them out and spot the genuine buyers. Genuine ones tend to ask plenty of questions and request they see the van before bidding. not everyone apparently selling a motorhome is genuine. any normal person is going to be very cautious spending such a large amount of money

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I would keep your ad up and just ignore the idiots. They come with the territory. But you need to accept it and just laugh at them. I remember making a rookie mistake ... sold a load of my kids designer baby clothes and the postage cost more than the clothes sold for. I took it in the chin and put it down to experience but was surprised to get a cheque in the post a few days later from the purchaser who felt guilty that I was out of pocket.
Have patience, you’ll sell your van, hopefully to a good home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You could complain to Ebay - then you will definitely see how little interest they have in dealing with the idiots. :(

Deleted User
I did sell mine on e-bay, however, it was also a nightmare. One 'we buy anything' type company made a very good offer, when they arrived it was two thugs in a pick up truck who tried to claim they had found damp (pvc) and a fair offer was £6500 less than agreed. Took a lot of argument and eventually rudeness to get them to leave and I was getting rather concerned at one point where it was all going to end, and of course we were concerned they may return at a later date having had a good 'sniff' around the outside of the house under the pretence 'what a nice spot you've got here'. Hopefully it will be a long time down the road, however, would consider taking less and just selling or part exchanging with a dealer. Of course lots of vans are sold this way so it cant all be bad news

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
None anymore! 😭
Exp
From 2013
We put our motorhome on ebay and autotrader.
Only had a couple of enquiries and one viewing within a week. Sold to first viewer...
But had lots of "interesting" situations when selling/buying other stuff.
I think it's very much a luck of the draw when selling anything, anywhere, and you have to use common sense when dealing with those without any!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You could just ignore the chancers.
Or invite those that offer ridiculous prices to visit to arrange payment, insist they view the van and are satisfied. Pick the ones that live farthest away then either go out for the day or keep them talking for hours, don’t offer tea or coffee, then say you’ve changed your mind.

I’ve just had a total time waster put in an offer on my property, accepted and conveyances given green light. Now isn’t answering estate agents calls, so know how you feel.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just to balance things up a bit........

We have just bought electric bikes. Decided to sell our conventional bikes on Gumtree. Took some nice photos, wrote up a good description and loaded them up expecting to hear nothing.
A week later my phone rings asking about the £45 one (expecting to be haggled down to £40)
An hour later, man turns up, quick look at the bike, and gives me £50 and tells me I have underpriced it:D

Barry

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
“I’ll give you £20k cash and pick it up today, take it or leave it”.
the 2nd words"off" .:)
Or invite them to view it & send them directions to some other place a 100 miles away. Always use a vague area where you live .
mate of mine when he has to sell anything in way of vehicles will arrange to meet nowhere near his own property.** & takes 'minders'

Look on the bright side when selling here they ask outright for discounts as they "have to travel X amount of kms to view"o_O
or " I have to hire a van to collect it"o_O" + the diesel"
The list is endless. I used to laugh now I just tell them to do one.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
As a general rule I don’t reply to about nine out of ten enquiries I find those that ask lots of questions never buy, if you have given lots of factual photos and a solid honest description the answers are already there, a genuine buyer is usually straight forward and polite and will be dealt with accordingly,any nonsense from time wasters and I out them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well i have had a new one today, i look at quite a few tractors on ebay, bid on some but mostly dont get them:(
now i have had an email ," congratulations you have won this item" a tractor in hampshire, but the strange thing is i never bid on it , too far away .
but this email says i have won it , pay now, but its not in purchases on my ebay thing.
is this some sort of new scam, i have emailed the seller but got no reply.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've just sold our MH on Autotrader, after the first 2-3 days of getting no phone calls we lowered the price a bit, then phone went ballistic and now MH is sold, in total must of had 40 calls

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well i have had a new one today, i look at quite a few tractors on ebay, bid on some but mostly dont get them:(
now i have had an email ," congratulations you have won this item" a tractor in hampshire, but the strange thing is i never bid on it , too far away .
but this email says i have won it , pay now, but its not in purchases on my ebay thing.
Here is a screen shot
Screenshot_20190512-165713.png

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@chaser it's a conman after the cash under your mattress mate

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Definitely a scam if you didn’t bid and it’s not in your won at auction list. To be safe, change your eBay password and forward the email to EBay.

P.S. is the message you received in your Ebay messages ? Should be in both.
Also, in the email it shows one item in your basket, on your purchase list basket empty.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Definitely a scam if you didn’t bid and it’s not in your won at auction list. To be safe, change your eBay password and forward the email to EBay.

P.S. is the message you received in your Ebay messages ? Should be in both.
Also, in the email it shows one item in your basket, on your purchase list basket empty.
No doesn't show anywhere else just the email, very professional though into it.
Yes the basket was something else last night the screenshot is a minute ago.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No doesn't show anywhere else just the email, very professional though into it.
Yes the basket was something else last night the screenshot is a minute ago.
Thing is though they must know the sort of thing I bid on and if I had of bid on this one,I could of paid it thinking it was right.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I advertised a Giant Recumbent bike on EBay and highest bidder was from Poland. We exchanged a few emails and he asked if I could turn the handlebars so that it was flat as possible and secure anything that could fall off. He paid me and two days later a delivery van turned up with Polish numberplates packed full of parcels heading for Poland. They did some unpacking and re-packing to get it in. Gave me a receipt and off it went.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I advertised a Giant Recumbent bike on EBay and highest bidder was from Poland. We exchanged a few emails and he asked if I could turn the handlebars so that it was flat as possible and secure anything that could fall off. He paid me and two days later a delivery van turned up with Polish numberplates packed full of parcels heading for Poland. They did some unpacking and re-packing to get it in. Gave me a receipt and off it went.

If you have an honest seller and buyer - ebay is great, it's a painless way to sell or buy.

But when one of the party is not then it goes a bit pear shaped. Ebay don't really care as long as they are paid. If your buyer now says "not as described" your nightmare begins as they will return his payment and charge you to return the item.

Alright if £100's and the post is a tenner but not so much fun if the cost of returning the item is anywhere near the price you sold it for.

I have sold a fair few of bits of vintage bikes over the last few years and have been caught a few times by such buyers.

Ebay do not give a toss really - as long as they get their fee's. (n)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A friend of ours decided to sell their van, without buying another and searched hard for a quick sale from a company at a motorhome show who buy vans. They sold their van but I was appalled at the best price they were able to achieve. It does not surprise me that 'We buy any ....' offered a silly price. That is what they are in business for. They also take on the responsibility of then sending it to an auction house or selling it 'as virtually perfect' and with some kind of warranty.
This should only be a last resort sale method but it does exist for the needy.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I recently advertised my car on ebay, got a really good price for it too. Unfortunately the guy who bidded for it and won lived in Zimbabwe. He emailed me soon after the bidding finished to say that he couldn't get to collect it!!! I simply picked out the highest second bidder, contacted him and he collected it next day. I've sold a motorhome on ebay...always put NO DEALERS OR SILLY OFFERS in your description.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sprinter 416 Auto
Exp
Since 1968'ish
The last moho I sold on eBay (old Frankia) ,lots of idiots emails.
But then a call from Bulgaria ,his mate locally comes to vet it for him .
Bulgaria paid asking price .
A fortnight later came over ,saw it for first time ,paid over funds .
Then sent me email pics of the journey back to Bulgaria happy bunny (y)

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
E bay unfortunately is the way to get “in front” of thousands of potential buyers
However within those thousands are dozens of idiots

Just don't engage with them
Don't let them wind you up- that’s their sport
It still leaves lots of people who might buy it

In summary, if you let them raise your blood pressure, they win and move on to a speedboat that they cannot afford either:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back