Quality Control (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks Zepp, nothing new to us unfortunately, we had ordered, deposit paid etc a new 2017 Swift Bolero due to be collected June 2017.
Swift fell way behind on the manufacture of their Konleakies, Boleros & Bessacars this year, some waited over 10 months to get theirs. I challenged swift on their ST forum to offer me some solid reassurance that our Bolero would not come with the front roof valence problems that many had sustained the previous year. I asked them directly if they could tell me how the roof valence lifting off or rattling in the wind at speed had been addressed, what mods had been carried out if any?, they ignored me, and the whole member forum were asking Swift why they would not respond to me! our van was 2 months late in being built, I gave Swift a weeks notice that unless they responded to my quality assurance concerns, that we would cancel our order. Well, they kept stum, did not reply to me or anyone else on the forum, so we cancelled our order with much appreciation from the from the forum members, as many had threatened to cancel but didn't, they just accepted the delays, and were prepared to roll the dice in the hope they would get "A good one" Our dealer was not impressed by our decision to cancel, although I did say to them that it wasn't even built yet, and it was two months behind schedule anyway!
Our dealers were however eventually consoled somewhat, when we went down and took delivery of a new Carthago C Tourer from their stock, a lot more expensive, lots of layout compromises were made, but the build quality was what won our hearts in the end.
One week after cancelling our Swift order, it was announced that Swift would be dropping The Bolero Model for 2018, yet having spent shed loads of money revamping the design in 2016!, divine inspiration comes to mind! then our dealer admitted that they would not be stocking Swift products in the future.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
@Zepp well done and thank you. I also do quality and would love to visit a few manufacturers to point out there lack of quality control, especially during the assembly stage, where they hide so many sins.

I wonder if they really care at all.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I do think that Swift sales rely heavily on newbie motorhomers buying it's products, i.e. they don't know what they are buying so the shiney graphics secure the sale.

That being said, the UK does still have a few fine crafts folk but it's just a sad shame that none of them work in the motorhome industry.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Cannot believe people are prepared to sit and wait that long and hope that they get a good one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I do think that Swift sales rely heavily on newbie motorhomers buying it's products, i.e. they don't know what they are buying so the shiney graphics secure the sale. That being said, the UK does still have a few fine crafts folk but it's just a sad shame that none of them work in the motorhome industry.

That's according to you - but the many thousands of those working in the motorhome industry will not agree with you.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's according to you - but the many thousands of those working in the motorhome industry will not agree with you.

In that case they need to take a dang good look at themselves if they really want to be classified as skilled craftsmen and women.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not a newbie and have already purchased two new Autotrails in the past. The first one was designed so badly that the dinning table was stored in the back of the wardrobe and for us to use it we had to take everything out of the wardrobe to get the table out (not informed of this when purchasing a new model from the sales info). The habitation door lock had a locking problem from day one and so did the water pump plumbing. The dealer returned us the full purchase cost 9 months later for another Autotrail that after a few weeks of owning had to go back to the Autotrail Factory to have the back end of the van removed and replaced then the dealer had to strip out the toilet / shower area because the floor moved even when a light person walked on it so its not just down to Swift.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back