put the hose in to fill the water tank and (1 Viewer)

marlee and me

Free Member
Apr 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Summertime21#
Hi I have just arrived home from the dealership with my first ever motor home it is a Elddiss 130 on a 08 plate. I have just filled the water tank and noticed it is all pouring back out underneath the van, am i doing somethging wrong šŸ™ˆ have i omitted to do something or is this a problem i need to get sorted. Thanks šŸ˜Š

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have been reading this with some interest. Have we been here before! I recall putting photo's what I use to help assist in the prevention of this happening with mine.
I also have an Eldiss, and I have got around the issue of overflow. I use a to me a simple system which is visible when you're filling your tank with water. I use a clear tube attached to the outside water drain valve, with the tube attached to the vehicle body via a suction pad with plastic hook no higher than the flooring. The tube is attached to the drain valve and the other is capped into place inside the hook. With the valve then open fill the tank and you will notice the hight of the water in the tube. Stop filling before it starts to get near the top of the tube as you know it will then not over flow. Turn tap back on, remove tube and suction pad, job done.

Hope this helps in your filling issue Marlee and Me, it most certainly has mine.

Flook

PS, it is the cheap version as well

Upvote 1

Steve new

Free Member
Jun 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autoqest 180
Exp
I could just be that you have over filled the tank.
It's the same on our Elddis, the tank has to have a breather to let the air out as the water goes in, and once the tank is full the water comes out of the breather hole on top of the tank and pour on the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This thread has spurred me into action to solve the problem of over filling our fresh water tank.
Our fresh water tank is external under our van and dropping the tank to get to the big bung to get into the tank is not an option, so I have drilled a hole at the top of the tank, bonded on a threaded flange nut over the hole and fitted a float switch which is then wired to a switch and buzzer to indicate when the tank is full.

1620210060267.png

1620210101003.png

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think some of you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Just fill it up until you hear water running out of the overflow and then turn off the water supply.

A solution is need in our case as we have a heat mat and thermostat with electrical connections between the tank and tank insulation and the water that overflows runs down between the tank and the tank insulation.

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I have just arrived home from the dealership with my first ever motor home it is a Elddiss 130 on a 08 plate. I have just filled the water tank and noticed it is all pouring back out underneath the van, am i doing somethging wrong šŸ™ˆ have i omitted to do something or is this a problem i need to get sorted. Thanks šŸ˜Š
Don't you just love mh dealers?
You spend thousands on your van, they take your money and don't even do basic checks to make sure all is working as it should. Whatever happened to pdi checks?

Upvote 1
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
A solution is need in our case as we have a heat mat and thermostat with electrical connections between the tank and tank insulation and the water that overflows runs down between the tank and the tank insulation.
Thanks for clarifying. I have insulation too but my overflow pipe projects from the tank so I don't have that problem.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
For some reason our grey waste tank has an overflow pipe but not our fresh water tank which never made sense to me unless it was an oversight and missed off our fresh tank.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Hi Thanks i will take a look in the morning. Although i did buy from a dealership it has been serviced and had habitation check i thought it would have been ready to use.

It would be sensible to leave the water tank empty if it wasn't being used. My dealer did partially fill the tank - then it emptied a few days later as the temp got towards 0 degrees and the frost valve popped on the heater. I guess they just hadn't closed the drain valve on the tank after they had drained it.

Depends on the MH but on mine if it is draining at the rear it will be the water tank. If it is in the middle it will be the frost valve on the heater/boiler. Depends where your heater/boiler is installed.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I don't know what Elddis were fitting in 2008 but recently they have been using Whale water heaters.
These don't have automatic frost protection - just a pressure relief valve which has to be manually moved to the open or closed position.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Filling your tank til it overflows is the surest way you have of knowing it's full. I do that all the time.

Upvote 0

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Steve, a good idea on the surface, but, wont the water eventually seep into the base of the flooring, and also seep between tank and cover. I know the tanks are plastic, but the covers can soak the excess water.

I used to filming till the water came out, but the issue was I had to keep kneeling down to check when it started to run out. My idea of the visual aid has worked from day one of using it. Though I like the idea of "two-on tour's", but for me a bit of faffing about, unless T-O-T wants to come round my place and fit one for me:unsure:. He would even get a :coffee:(y):wink:

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Steve, a good idea on the surface, but, wont the water eventually seep into the base of the flooring, and also seep between tank and cover. I know the tanks are plastic, but the covers can soak the excess water.

I used to filming till the water came out, but the issue was I had to keep kneeling down to check when it started to run out. My idea of the visual aid has worked from day one of using it. Though I like the idea of "two-on tour's", but for me a bit of faffing about, unless T-O-T wants to come round my place and fit one for me:unsure:. He would even get a :coffee:(y):wink:
It's OK - my water tank is totally external so the overflow just runs directly onto the ground - no woodwork involved.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
I don't know what Elddis were fitting in 2008 but recently they have been using Whale water heaters.
These don't have automatic frost protection - just a pressure relief valve which has to be manually moved to the open or closed position.
Yes it is a Whale in the 2020 accordo 105 - never worked but having it sorted under warranty soon

Upvote 0

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Steve that's good to hear, I assume you do not have and Elddis. As far as I am aware all Elddis tanks are attached to the outside parts of the flooring via brackets.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Steve that's good to hear, I assume you do not have and Elddis. As far as I am aware all Elddis tanks are attached to the outside parts of the flooring via brackets.
Some Elddis motorhomes have inboard tanks. Our previous Accordo 120 had one. It still had an overflow pipe fitted to the top of the tank and down through a hole in the floor.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
I just fill till I hear the water hitting the ground, I wouldnā€™t bother about water ingress into the tank insulation as I would think this will happen anyway when driving in wet conditions. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
It's an Elddis 115 and the tank is supported beneath the floor - clearly visible on hands & knees. The bad thing about it is its small size. It's amazing how quickly you get thru' 45 litres of water.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
That's not fit for purpose, our last van had a silly 100 Lt tank I always carried 2 x 20 Lt containers full in the garage.
I agree, but it's the only downside of this van for me. I carry a separate 22 litre top-up bottle that I can store neatly away til needed.
I've looked into it but it's just not viable to fit a bigger tank.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
I went to ours the other day, trip valve had dumped the water, cold day and so could not warm up the van to reset the trip valve, to fill with water, to run the heating, to raise the temp, to reset the trip valve.......

SO... I had a coffee to wait for the sun to warm the place up.

Sometime you just have to wait.

D

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
I know this is an old thread but if you have a truma 4e you can turn on the heating without the need for water in the boiler...

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Yes it is a Whale in the 2020 accordo 105 - never worked but having it sorted under warranty soon
Update on the water heater warranty work. Went to South Coast Caravans (who are excellent by the way), Elddis approved at the end of June. Diagnosed the fault and Whale said it needed a new circuit board but Elddis had to approve it first. This was done and the part arrived - booked in last Monday with a max 2 hour wait forecast and took myself off for a walk in the country lanes.
Call from SCC - new part fitted BUT heater doesnt work still. They spoke to Whale who said it must be a faulty switch then.........
This was being sent out Monday.
Asked the dealer (Glossop) how a non functioning water heater can pass it's PDI on a brand new MH - still waiting for a reply 10 days later........
baby crying GIF

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back