put the hose in to fill the water tank and (1 Viewer)

marlee and me

Free Member
Apr 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Summertime21#
Hi I have just arrived home from the dealership with my first ever motor home it is a Elddiss 130 on a 08 plate. I have just filled the water tank and noticed it is all pouring back out underneath the van, am i doing somethging wrong 🙈 have i omitted to do something or is this a problem i need to get sorted. Thanks 😊

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
:welco:

I expect the frost protection valve (dump Valve) is open.
It will be near the boiler and looks like this if it's a Truma system, you turn the knob on top and push the button in to close.
View attachment 491248
This used to open even in warm days so I replaced it with another one without the frost protection. Left it in the van when I sold it so the new owner could replace it if they wanted to .Easy to replace by the way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This used to open even in warm days so I replaced it with another one without the frost protection. Left it in the van when I sold it so the new owner could replace it if they wanted to .Easy to replace by the way
I wouldn't risk that with boilers the wrong side of £1500.
Thr valves only dump below 3° so it only normally happens when the van is unused in very cold weather.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
There should be reference to the drain/dump valve in your Owners Manual if you have one.
It's a good idea to read through all the equipment manuals that came with the vehicle so that you have a basic idea of how everything operates. Do this at your leisure (as you are now) and not when on a pitch (at night in the rain) and under pressure with an issue that needs solving. ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Don’t think the boiler drain would come in till you run a tap

my money is on Joy’s first thought drain is open movan 👍

piss poor hand over though 🤔
You are wrong. The boiler drain should operate automatically below freezing, otherwise there is no point in having it if you had to turn a tap on before it worked.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
There should be reference to the drain/dump valve in your Owners Manual if you have one.
It's a good idea to read through all the equipment manuals that came with the vehicle so that you have a basic idea of how everything operates. Do this at your leisure (as you are now) and not when on a pitch (at night in the rain) and under pressure with an issue that needs solving. ;)
Words of W
I have a frost protection automatic valve on the heater tank.

On the cold water tank I have a manual plug similar in design to this;

ceh1051_1_1.jpg

I've had a few incidents;

When I drain the tank I have forgotten to replace the plug so as it fill it drains straight out!

I have left the plug out and returned a few days later to pit it in, so as to stop the possibility of anything getting into the tank. By that time the 'rubberised' (black) pat of the plug has dried up and gone a bit rigid. When I plug it back in it does not make a good seal and water slowly drains out and sometimes as the tank fills the plug floats out of the hole dumping the water rapidly. So I let some water go into the tank, get the plug wet, massage the black part and soften, to ensure a good seal.
Words of wisdom there.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are wrong. The boiler drain should operate automatically below freezing, otherwise there is no point in having it if you had to turn a tap on before it worked.

you are missing my point, if the boiler has drained you wouldn’t know when you refill the water tank, at that point it wouldn’t start to run out of the boiler

but reading the OP again I am now not clear when it started to drain out, but if the holding tank is full , it would then need a tap turning on to fill the boiler which is when the open frost valve would come into play

it all depends on when it started to come out and where from

Odd that the OP hadn’t been back 🤔

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
I recall picking up our motorhome at Highbridge and staying the weekend in a campsite nearby. The plan was to check everything and if there was a fault we were only a mile away from the dealer. The next day I decided to fill her up with water. There was a queue behind me and it was taking absolutely ages to fill up. People were stamping their feet and mumbling. I eventually noticed that I was standing in a giant puddle. Embarrassed I turned off the tap and walked away trying to look unconcerned. As mentioned, check the plug.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Welcome from Shropshire:rolleyes: As all the other comments it's probably the Dump valve next to the heater ( if it's a Red or Yellow Button Lift it up it should Latch in the up position. ) if not trace the pipework to locate the main tank drain valve. Good luck and enjoy the Ride.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Words of W

Words of wisdom there.
I hope my 'Read the manual' wisdom didn't come across as facetious but even if you aren't of an engineering bent the (boring gobbledegook?) in the various manuals can provide an awareness of roughly how things are supposed to work and provide fault-finding checks.
As a hobbyist engineer I always like to know how stuff works so I browse all the manuals for unfamiliar equipment before going anywhere. If a fault develops later there's a fair chance that I'll recall there being a note about it in the manual.
(That said, I confess that I haven't read all the 236 pages of the manual for my new car :rolleyes: ).

Upvote 0

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Hi I have just arrived home from the dealership with my first ever motor home it is a Elddiss 130 on a 08 plate. I have just filled the water tank and noticed it is all pouring back out underneath the van, am i doing somethging wrong 🙈 have i omitted to do something or is this a problem i need to get sorted. Thanks 😊
Drain tap for boiler open

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Scrapped my gauge, it's just a float switch and red LED now.. All you need 😎
Just in the process of doing the same with a buzzer to indicate when our tank is full rather than it overflowing.
Went for a buzzer so I can hear it while stood pressing the button that some of the Frenches have on their service points.

I adjusted our gauge to read more accurately when we are getting low on water, but full was a guessing game.

1619960035275.png

Upvote 0

Sez Lez

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Whittlesey, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 748 EB
Exp
4 years
Exactly what caught me out on our new Chausson van! frost valve had opened, after finding out where it actually was i just turned the valve lever and pushed the blue button in, 'Job Done' this can also happen if you do a complete drain down at any time of year, i always now make sure the valve and reset are easily accessible

Upvote 0
May 14, 2020
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis autoquest 100
Exp
Im a newbie
We had water coming out from under our 08 Elddis autoquest on our first trip when we filled the water tank before leaving. We had’nt closed the hot water heater tank drain! We had’nt realised that all taps and the manual water heater tank valve had been set to drain to prevent freezing. We dont fill tanks till we get on site now of course. Happy days, everything a mystery for a while.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
:welco:

I expect the frost protection valve (dump Valve) is open.
It will be near the boiler and looks like this if it's a Truma system, you turn the knob on top and push the button in to close.
View attachment 491248

Or? it could look like this
1620053145711.png

(That took some finding on Google.)

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Had this first time I filled my Elddis - the tank is full and overflowing assuming the blue drain tap is closed. Leave a few minutes and if the "leaking" stops, you,ll be fine.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
You now have me all worried. I've drained my water tank, left taps open, drained grey waste........but forgotten about the boiler...... :unsure:

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You now have me all worried. I've drained my water tank, left taps open, drained grey waste........but forgotten about the boiler...... :unsure:
You dont need to drain everything down this time of year. I only drain the system including the boiler in November after last trip of year.

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Our fresh water says full (water coming out of overflow), 50%, 25% and empty (which is actually empty to 25%).
Works well. Autotrail with an EC500.
Pity the waste gets gunged up and is either empty or full.
I intend to take the caps off the bottom, flush the tank and clean the contacts in the next day or two.
Should work ok depending on what goes down the pipes😯

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2017
Nottingham, England
Funster No
MH
VW Devon Sundowner
Exp
I have an Elddis 165 and done the same thing, overfilled the tank. Manual states to have someone monitoring the water guage however it's not very accurate. I fill by ear and you can hear when the tank starts to get full. Advice is not to over fill as you run the risk of damaging the floor if it overflows in force.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back