Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (4 Viewers)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Did you or do you have any symptoms I ask as I have none at all
None what so ever! I only asked for a test because I had friends who were PC sufferers and thought it a good idea to get tested.

My time-line through this up to now is on the MacMillan Cancer support Forum. I didn't want to join that but it does give lots of support and advice.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Brief summary of my last few months

Coincidentally I had my first doctor appointment a week before this thread started, digital inspection suggests enlarged prostate

Followed by PSA blood test, elevated at 5.7 our target age related is below 4 I am 65, was 64

PSA repeated 3 weeks later (now end of Nov) still 5.8

Referred to Urology at Chesterfield General early December had to google urology

Another finger check, she can feel a growth on one side 🤔😳

Referred for MRI had that on my 65th birthday 18th December

Telephone consultation arranged with consultant for mid Jan, seemed a long time to wait , letter brought it forward by a week I panic and wonder why 🤔🙄

Consultant gives be a very good explanation of what the MRI shows him, growth that needs investigating by biopsy which he explains very well 🤔😳 he tells me it is unlikely not to be cancer but it definitely hasn’t spread and as such there is no panic 👍 easy for him to say

I now have to google sphincter, I thought it was a posh name for my arsehole 🙄😁

Biopsy booked for Thursday this week

Chat to explain procedure, given tablet antibiotic then sent to wait for an hour before procedure

Don’t know if they are all done the same, but up on bench arse at end of it, legs put up into stirrups , local anaesthetic stabbed in about 10 places, then scope inserted in my anus , quite large 😳 but needs must

Then the snipping tool is inserted through my sphincter, snips and retracts , 12 times in my case 😳 while the consultant chats to me about all sorts then my prostate

Shows me the lump on screen from my MRI then says opposite side is hazy so will take samples from there at same time rather than bring me back

Had to wee before I could leave and sent home wearing a Gandhi style nappy

Told I might / would bleed in wee poo and semen for a few days , not sure how I would spot the last one, absolutely no chance my old man is playing for a while

Phone call this morning confirmed cancer, now awaiting letter with date to see consultant

Now trying not to worry about it 🙏

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004

Coincidentally I had my first doctor appointment a week before this thread started, digital inspection suggests enlarged prostate

Followed by PSA blood test, elevated at 5.7 our target age related is below 4 I am 65, was 64

Referred to Urology at Chesterfield General early December had to google urology

Telephone consultation arranged with consultant for mid Jan, seemed a long time to wait , letter brought it forward by a week I panic and wonder why 🤔🙄

Consultant gives be a very good explanation of what the MRI shows him, growth that needs investigating by biopsy which he explains very well 🤔😳 he tells me it is unlikely not to be cancer but it definitely hasn’t spread and as such there is no panic 👍 easy for him to say

Chat to explain procedure, given tablet antibiotic then sent to wait for an hour before procedure

Don’t know if they are all done the same, but up on bench arse at end of it, legs put up into stirrups , local anaesthetic stabbed in about 10 places, then scope inserted in my anus , quite large 😳 but needs must

Then the snipping tool is inserted through my sphincter, snips and retracts , 12 times in my case 😳 while the consultant chats to me about all sorts then my prostate
David, I’m same age as you and have been through exactly the same process. Although it’s a hugely worrying time, the treatment options are good and outcomes are positive. Have a good read through the pro and con of the various treatments, outcomes are all generally similar, I found the biggest decision was between surgery, just get the cancer cut out and radiotherapy, less dramatic side effects potentially, I decided on brachytherapy, I’m about 5 months into treatment and I’ve been fine. If you need links to reading material etc let me know.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Now trying not to worry about it
All natural , again so so common , as mentioned in thread i am sure , but just take info off prostrate uk site and nhs site NOTHING ESLE . A lot of us as been thru it and came out other side basically ok ???

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
On a lighter note I wonder what the nurse thinks when she lifts the bed sheets to inspect The KINGS catheter.
Shes seen a few, whats the big deal ? There's not one . My god my catheter did its job i had 750 mlts of pee to get rid of i had AWR because of the treatment

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Great summary of the process David, blokes need to know as much as they can about this. I can absolutely relate to your anxiety about waiting at the various stages, but you’re on it and soon enough it’ll all be done and you’ll get the all clear.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I went to the GP with this problem,.. finger up the bum confirmed enlarged prostate but no signs of a tumour .. but they can only examine one side of the gland.. so that was followed up by a PSA test that was negative ..

Was given a prescription for Tamsulosin capsules , one a day to reduce swelling which worked great and can now pee like a horse ..well, a pony anyway .. such a relief literally

For too long I put up with taking ages to pee and up during the night several times for the loo, don't hesitate , have it examined.

Check your risk

Jim, I've been on Tamsulosin 40g for a number of years now but still up 2-3 times a night. I've got a review coming up in a couple of weeks time so i'll sort it then - just thought my broken sleep was normal:(

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
DavidG58 , if you've not visited before I would suggest that you visit the Macmillan Prostate Cancer forum where you will find many more of us in the same position as you.
I began this journey last spring and am currently waiting for radiotherapy to be scheduled. I've been on hormone therapy (HT) now for eighteen weeks and my PSA level has dropped to below 1.0 from over 10 at the outset of the diagnosis.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Shows me the lump on screen from my MRI then says opposite side is hazy so will take samples from there at same time rather than bring me back

Told I might / would bleed in wee poo and semen for a few days , not sure how I would spot the last one, absolutely no chance my old man is playing for a while

Phone call this morning confirmed cancer, now awaiting letter with date to see consultant

Been there done that. The biopsy very unpleasant but a good out come as soon on the treatment program. Just been discharged this week.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Jim, I've been on Tamsulosin 40g for a number of years now but still up 2-3 times a night. I've got a review coming up in a couple of weeks time so i'll sort it then - just thought my broken sleep was normal:(
Same here.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999

Pretty much the same as mine the consultant seems very laid back about it I asked how long did he think the treatment would take as I wanted to book holidays his reply suprised me he said no problem go on your trip and we will start in Sept I said no way start today and left the hospital with a packet of pills and an app for my first injection which makes me think if caught early it's not a great problem,,,fingers crossed

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Pretty much the same as mine the consultant seems very laid back about it I asked how long did he think the treatment would take as I wanted to book holidays his reply suprised me he said no problem go on your trip and we will start in Sept I said no way start today and left the hospital with a packet of pills and an app for my first injection which makes me think if caught early it's not a great problem,,,fingers crossed
Its an extremely slow growing cancer , injection ? I take it hormone therapy ? You have tablets and course of injection before they start RT

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Forgot to update after my appointment with the Urologist, he has recommended I have the Rezum procedure due to my age. Also due to my age (56) he’d like to do one more test before confirming it’s my prostate although he’s 80% sure. I’m fine with this as I’d rather have the correct diagnosis and procedure, I’m going for a urodynamics test/procedure on the 5th of February. The procedure consists of pressuring my bladder then emptying it, I’m sure it’s not as bad as it sounds 😂😂

Before going I’ve to take urine frequency and amount for 3 day’s starting yesterday, between 23:00 and 8am I visited the toilet 6 times and the largest quantity was 150ml, the average man should be between 250-400. I’m certainly not emptying my bladder, probably due to prostate squashing my urethra.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ten plus years ago following all the examinations and positive biopsies I was given the hormone treatment to shrink the enlarged prostate and then offered Radical Prostatectomy or Radiotherapy. On reading the leaflets that advised that Radiotherapy could lead to loss of bowel and bladder control I finally opted for the Radical Prostatectomy and to this day do not regret it as no problems since.
Best wishes and a positive outcome for each of you suffering this problem.

OP
OP
Oldrat
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
To take my biopsy, the surgeon made an incision underneath and accessed my prostate to take the samples from there.
It was pretty uncomfortable but not painful and it quickly healed.

I had my prostate removed by robotic surgery and I’m just over 3 1/2 year clear so far.

No noticeable loss of function either.

The best advice I can give anyone facing treatment is to repeat what I’ve said before.

I must do pelvic floor exercises

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Same here.
And another. After about three years I mentioned that it had appear to make naff all difference so was swapped to another unpronounceable medication which seems as equally useless. Still two or three times a night ( in the wrong way unfortunately;)) I did ask them to make sure they included a PSA at my last blood test. No news is good news?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

If you contact your local hospital macmillan centre they have a set of reading materials for prostate cancer which explains the choice of treatments you can undergo. From radiotherapy to a robotic op to remove the prostate completely.
Best to get hold of the info and read through it .
Best of luck.
Ps there's quite a few funsters in the same club..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just been for a follow up appointment to discuss biopsy results, while mentioning that procedure I need to correct a biological inaccuracy, the biopsy was extracted by tool that passed through my perineum, not my sphincter, which is indeed my anus 🤔🙄😁 we actually have several sphincter doing various retracting functions throughout our bodies

As already hinted by phone I have cancer 🤔🙁

Having barely passed any exams with decent results, I have high grade cancer 🤔😁 apparently not as good as it sounds 🙁

For anybody who knows about these things I have a Gleason score of 4+5=9 this means it is likely to be aggressive

I have a T3a cancer have already forgotten what the a meant 🙄 but range is 1-4 where 4 is worst

Due to the potentially aggressive little sod I now need a bone scan, booked for tomorrow , can’t get much quicker than that 👍 an injection then wait two hours before full body scan which will show if cancer has already got to my bones , this will determine the treatment options

Positive news there is no sign of cancer in my bones that were scanned on my MRI but only looking at my abdomen then 👍

Then next week I have another appointment for scan results and to discuss treatment options

Brachytherapy already ruled out due the stage my cancer has reached

Feel odd, no different to how I felt at Christmas but the C bomb has gone off, next weeks meeting will be much more informative

Two bits of good news, no changes needed to my diet or alcohol consumption 👍 and I qualify for free parking 😁 we discussed buying a season ticket option on our way in today 👍

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Just been for a follow up appointment to discuss biopsy results, while mentioning that procedure I need to correct a biological inaccuracy, the biopsy was extracted by tool that passed through my perineum, not my sphincter, which is indeed my anus 🤔🙄😁 we actually have several sphincter doing various retracting functions throughout our bodies

Having barely passed any exams with decent results, I have high grade cancer 🤔😁 apparently not as good as it sounds 🙁

For anybody who knows about these things I have a Gleason score of 4+5=9 this means it is likely to be aggressive

I have a T3a cancer have already forgotten what the a meant 🙄 but range is 1-4 where 4 is worst

Due to the potentially aggressive little sod I now need a bone scan, booked for tomorrow , can’t get much quicker than that 👍 an injection then wait two hours before full body scan which will show if cancer has already got to my bones , this will determine the treatment options

Positive news there is no sign of cancer in my bones that were scanned on my MRI but only looking at my abdomen then 👍

Then next week I have another appointment for scan results and to discuss treatment options

Feel odd, no different to how I felt at Christmas but the C bomb has gone off, next weeks meeting will be much more informative

Two bits of good news, no changes needed to my diet or alcohol consumption 👍 and I qualify for free parking 😁 we discussed buying a season ticket option on our way in today 👍
Had my bone scan 2 weeks ago and not heard anything so I'm taking that as good news had my first of 12 injections at the hospital and the other 11 around the 9 th of the month but at my doctors, not seeing the consultant until 27.02 and I will ask about Brachytherapy as it seems preferable to 20 trips to St barts for rt ,all the best to you

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yep, whatever treatment you choose, cos it's always a choice rather than 'you've got to have', husband and I echo the advice to get going on the pelvic floor exercises asap and repeat whenever humanly possible! OK so yes we did buy one packet of Tena for men 'in case' but binned them unopened when found whilst looking for something else, a couple of years later. Cos the jolly ole pelvic floor exercises always enables him to get to the loo before an accident.

If you have a full length mirror, stand in front of it with bare willy, start exercise, does willy twitch upwards when you do? - if not, you ain't doing it right ........

Good ole Davinci robot!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I did ask them to make sure they included a PSA at my last blood test.
This is what frightens me in the UK: Once you have had a test here in Spain you automatically have yearly retests of everything: This year I had 56 different blood & urine tests . If you have,or have been, treated for cancer then the tests are every 6 month ,like my wife's are.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
My father died young of metastatic prostate cancer, even now I have to remind my surgery when my yearly test is due, or I would never get one.

Hope your treatment goes really well David, best wishes for going forward.

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years

Hi David your diagnosis is very similar to the one I had nearly 2 years ago , inoperable I was told by the consultant ,I was immediately put on hormone therapy another year to go of that.
Followed by chemo 6 sessions over 5 months finished on my 69th birthday in January last year.
The consultant then let us go away for a month in the van in February for a bit of RandR.
Then started on Radiotherapy in March at St James in Leeds every Monday to Friday for a month , all this time I was getting monthly PSA tests and by the time I had finished the radiotherapy it was 0.1 and has remained so up to now .
All of it is tough the hormone gives you hot flushes that inc rease as you go through the treatment ,I have just now been prescribed a drug to reduce this effect and it does seem to be working .
The chemo makes you feel as weak as a kitten and you may loose all your body hair ,luckily I was given the option of the refrigerated scull cap which meant I kept my already thining thatch (my wife says I have the wrong shaped head to be bald).
The radiotherapy didn't give me incontinence, just the opposite half way through the treatment I had to be catheterised this was for 6 weeks initially then a trial without but still couldn't pee so on to a self administered catheter 2 a day which I am still on but the amount of pee being retained is reducing.
Then only down side is the risk of UTIs
So all in all it is worth going through it all .We managed to get away in September to Italy for 6 weeks in the van and had a fabulous time even though I was a little restricted to what I could do.
Best wishes Chasnam

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back