Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (2 Viewers)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Can I ask you personal question what treatment did you have ? No problem if private , but I take a lot of interest in this subject .
No problem, I was diagnosed with intermediate favourable prostate cancer, 1 of 14 samples on biopsy, Gleason score of 3+4, so all treatment options were available. As all treatment options give similar 10 year “cure and survival” outcomes, I was most concerned with side effects and quality of life. The 2 main potential serious side effects that I wanted to avoid were incontenance and impotence, so for me that weighed in favour of radiation rather than surgery, I elected brachytherapy where they implant seeds into the prostate which over 6/9 months release radiation and kill the cancer cells. Procedure was painless, in and out of hospital same day, side effects have been minor and manageable, mainly going for a pee a bit more often and flow a bit weaker. Sexually mechanics all in working order! It’s a very personal decision, a friend just wanted the prostate out, knowing the cancer was gone, much more serious side effects but peace of mind.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
No problem, I was diagnosed with intermediate favourable prostate cancer, 1 of 14 samples on biopsy, Gleason score of 3+4, so all treatment options were available. As all treatment options give similar 10 year “cure and survival” outcomes, I was most concerned with side effects and quality of life. The 2 main potential serious side effects that I wanted to avoid were incontenance and impotence, so for me that weighed in favour of radiation rather than surgery, I elected brachytherapy where they implant seeds into the prostate which over 6/9 months release radiation and kill the cancer cells. Procedure was painless, in and out of hospital same day, side effects have been minor and manageable, mainly going for a pee a bit more often and flow a bit weaker. Sexually mechanics all in working order! It’s a very personal decision, a friend just wanted the prostate out, knowing the cancer was gone, much more serious side effects but peace of mind.

Good look and I hope it all proceeds according to plan. Treatment is a very personal decision.
I’m pleased to hear all is well in the trousers department! 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Good to hear, I too had 1 of the 14 samples testing positive and a Gleason of 3+3. After numerous information leaflets etc and a comprehensive explanation of all the options by the Consultant, I thought the Brachytherapy would be the best option. Currently though I’m on ‘surveillance’ with a next PSA test in January.

Last edited:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Good to hear, I too had one of the 14 samples testing positive and a Gleason of 3+3. After numerous information leaflets etc and a comprehensive explanation of all the options by the Consultant, I thought the Brachytherapy would be the best option. Currently though I’m on ‘surveillance’ with a next PSA test in January.
If my Gleason had been 3+3 I would have done the same, but knowing there was a bit of “spreading” cancer convinced me to treat it. Good luck for January. If you decide on brachytherapy, let me know if you want more info.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Many thax for info , yes personal choice I wasn’t offered brachytherapy , but had choice out or HT/RT i went for RT 20fractions , now psa test every 6 months . Unfortunately I still get side effects from treatment but hey oh . Friend had brachytherapy and got bowel damage , it’s just luck of the draw . All the best . It deffo helped me knowing friends having been thru it . One mate had his out BUT still had to have 33 fractions to mopped up cells ? His psa was showing it was still active but he’s now on 6 monthly test .and undetectable.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Friend of mine has recently had brachytherapy. Seems to be doing OK atm. Not sure if he glows in the dark. I'll have to ask his wife.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Friend of mine has recently had brachytherapy. Seems to be doing OK atm. Not sure if he glows in the dark. I'll have to ask his wife.
They give you a card to show at airport security in case you set the sensors off! Thankfully on our recent holiday in South Africa I wandered through 8 different security areas and none detected the radiation from the 68 seeds. Helen tells me I don’t glow in the dark!

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I can never understand why they cannot use something similar to how they open up narrowed arteries & blood vessels? Insert an expanding spring from in to out through the prostate & jobs a good un? Only the same as how a catheter works?
Gus, I asked the same question to my consultant his answer was while its possible they don't do it because of all the infections that it causes.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
2hrs for me, sometimes 1,5. Doesn't bother me. straight back to sleep.
I do drink a large amount though,not alcohol, but tea, coffee coca cola. bitter lemon & at least 2 litres of water. Probably at least at least 5 litres/day
Gus if you stop drinking the cola,bitter lemon, and the normal tea and coffee you will be up every 2 hours, try the decaffeinated ones it works for me and stop the carbonated drinks you will find it does help.

OP
OP
Oldrat
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I must do my pelvic floor exercises.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Has any body been prescribed oxybutynin to help with urgency/frequency issues.
I'm half way through my first prescription of these and they have made a tremendous difference
I take tamulosin as well.
Chasnam
I was prescribed TOLTERODINE TARTRATE for the same reason but had to stop after a few days as it gave me incredible headaches.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Has any body been prescribed oxybutynin to help with urgency/frequency issues.
I'm half way through my first prescription of these and they have made a tremendous difference
I take tamulosin as well.
Chasnam
I only use Tamulosin ,
it helps relax the muscles in the prostate and the opening of the bladder.
It works fine for me on it's own, no more up every hour having a pee, I can go all night now.. and no planning shopping trips around public toilets

I looked up oxybutytin.. It works by relaxing the muscles around your bladder. so a two pronged attack ! Interesting, thanks for posting.
Oxybutynin is a medicine used to treat symptoms of an overactive bladder. These can include:
  • a sudden and urgent need to pee (urinary urgency)
  • needing to pee more often than usual (urinary frequency)
  • wetting yourself if you cannot make it to the loo in time (urinary incontinence)
It's also used to treat bedwetting in children (nocturnal enuresis).
Oxybutynin works by relaxing the muscles around your bladder. This means your bladder can hold more liquid and you do not need to pee as often or as urgently.
Oxybutynin is only available on prescription.
It comes as standard tablets for immediate release, or slow-release tablets (also called prolonged release), a liquid to swallow, or as patches.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
There's a useful app called "Flush" which is basically a 'Find my nearest loo'.
I’ve also got a MacMillan cancer charity card the hospital gave me, it’s to show in shops/cafe/hotels etc basically saying my cancer necessitates frequent toilet need and could they please help.
Not had to use it yet but a good idea.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
You can also get a 'radar key' which gives you access to all disabled toilets

Get it via your local council for around a fiver or there are 'unofficial' ones on the web, can't vouch whether they fit or not though.

Pete

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Just got back from the biopsy all went well no big deal 5 samples on the left and 4 on the right wait now 3 weeks for the consultation

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
went to the hospital today for my biopsy results no good its cancer but its in its early stages so we had a chat to how to go forward and i am to have a bone scan to check ,take a pill for 1 month and a weekly injection to stop testosterone and shrink the prostate then to barts hospital every day for 1 month for radiotherapy and hopefully thats it the consultant is very confident it will be as there is no sign of spread big thanks to Oldrat for the heads up at the beginning . i have had no symptoms at all and still dont so be aware

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
went to the hospital today for my biopsy results no good its cancer but its in its early stages so we had a chat to how to go forward and i am to have a bone scan to check ,take a pill for 1 month and a weekly injection to stop testosterone and shrink the prostate then to barts hospital every day for 1 month for radiotherapy and hopefully thats it the consultant is very confident it will be as there is no sign of spread big thanks to Oldrat for the heads up at the beginning . i have had no symptoms at all and still dont so be aware

Not a great start to 2024, but sounds like you’re in good hands and caught it early. I wish you well.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Welcome to the club that none of us want to belong to!
I officially joined in early July 2023, now on HT since 27th Sept and now awaiting date for RT.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Welcome to the club that none of us want to belong to!
I officially joined in early July 2023, now on HT since 27th Sept and now awaiting date for RT.
Did you or do you have any symptoms I ask as I have none at all

OP
OP
Oldrat
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
(I’ve separately messaged pagey )

Since my diagnosis and treatment, I’ve become a bit of an evangelist in nagging guys who have niggles or concerns about ‘down there’.

So far I’ve had SIX guys inform me that because of my ‘heads up’ as Pagey calls it, who have been checked out and have been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

All but one were quick off the mark and diagnosed as having treatable early stage cancer with excellent prospects.

One gent ‘got around to it’ after a year…. The surgeon removed far more than his prostate and warned him to expect his cancer to surface elsewhere as it had spread.

Don’t be blokish about it….. If in doubt

GET IT CHECKED

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back