private plates.. what's the low down ? (2 Viewers)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just bought my 1991 van with H349___ on it - thought it was the original reg - didn't look like a personal plate
- but it is !!! ????

DVLA sent docs back so that I could write a letter to relinquish rights to the number - the van was originally a J plate - I don't think the seller knew either

Also do not accept the keepers part of the V5, only the full log book - so have to fill in an application for new V5

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good post - I nearly lost a number plate the same way, had to insure, MOT and tax to transfer.

If there is a reason for these 'rules' it's not obvious to me - apart from DVLA just being a pain for the sake of it !

Oh, I can see a reason. If you have an old wreck in your garage for 20 years and then decide to transfer the registration - without the DVLA tax disk restriction - they would only collect the £80 transfer fee. BUT, keep the number on a retention certificate - as required - for 20 years @ £25 pa, they will receive £500 + £80 transfer fee. In other words, they want to charge a fee for retaining a registration, rather than you simply retaining it for free on an old vehicle.

And in our case, it was about 7 years from its last tax disk, and would have cost an arm and a leg to try to get it roadworthy, tested, insured and re-taxed. As I said, we managed to reach a compromise, without having to do that - thankfully.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Oh, I can see a reason. If you have an old wreck in your garage for 20 years and then decide to transfer the registration - without the DVLA tax disk restriction - they would only collect the £80 transfer fee. BUT, keep the number on a retention certificate - as required - for 20 years @ £25 pa, they will receive £500 + £80 transfer fee. In other words, they want to charge a fee for retaining a registration, rather than you simply retaining it for free on an old vehicle
Mike

It would make sense if you kept a vehicle for 20 years that you paid the £25 x 20 plus a penalty - the DVLA would make money. If the vehicle just 'disappeared' after so many years and DVLA weren't told about it being scrapped DVLA would get nothing. Having to MOT and tax a vehicle just makes no sense to me..............................

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Would it not be cheaper and easier to change your name by deed poll to the reg you have now, ;)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Would it not be cheaper and easier to change your name by deed poll to the reg you have now, ;)

That is why the DVLA now always stick a V or Z in somewhere or other unlikely to match letters, then have their own auctions for the 'better' ones (y)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just transferred one myself,called insurance to let them know the reg change
£ 23.50 admin charge.? Directline.
Did mine a few weeks ago, also Direct line, I asked if there was a charge and was told NO, not for number change. Second time I have changed it , not charged either time. I would get on to them for a refund.
Cheers, Dave (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just bought my 1991 van with H349___ on it - thought it was the original reg - didn't look like a personal plate
- but it is !!! ????

DVLA sent docs back so that I could write a letter to relinquish rights to the number - the van was originally a J plate - I don't think the seller knew either

Also do not accept the keepers part of the V5, only the full log book - so have to fill in an application for new V5

Sorry to say that is illegal !
The seller must send the V5 off
I usually take an envelope already to go along with me, get it all filled out with the seller and put it in an envelope myself and also post it myself ( I do not trust anyone LOL !! )
But legally you are not entitled to the body of the V5, only the new owners part

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Sorry to say that is illegal !
The seller must send the V5 off
I usually take an envelope already to go along with me, get it all filled out with the seller and put it in an envelope myself and also post it myself ( I do not trust anyone LOL !! )
But legally you are not entitled to the body of the V5, only the new owners part

Sloppy post by me I think.........

I had the new keepers part of the V5 - sent that to DVLA to swap reg

DVLA would not accept the new keepers part to swap the reg over - DVLA sent me application for log book to fill out and return(y)(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I sold my car the new owner got her part of the V5, the other bit was filled in and signed and they cam up to the post box with me to see it posted.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Still lots of MH** FUN plates on DVLA

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov...2.y=22&super=&super_pricefrom=&super_priceto=

fun%20plates-M.png
I just bought T30 CNO to go with my T33 CNO :D
image-X2.jpg

Notice there are still plenty of FUN reg left

I wonder who bought @MH 55 FUN :sneaky:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i took my p111mba of my work van and put it on the camper like jaws a strategically place bolt makes it plumba

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Watching this thread keenly, I've been thinking about one for our van, but haven't decided on a Reg No yet.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I changed my original cherished plate to a newer vehicle a couple of times in the past, the last time in 2000 when it went on my, now very old, Espace. Since then I've bought a couple to put on vehicles 1. I already had and, 2. I was about to buy. The first went on the motorhome and after filling in the online form I had an email to confirm I could apply it to the nominated vehicle and a doc to allow me to get plates made up, followed by a new V5C. The more recent one in February again I received an email notification and went back to the dealer who made up the plates for me, neither time did I send the original V5C back. Don't forget to add the new number to the Dartford Tunnel site if you're pre-registered.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Pain in the arse if u want to sell - gotta transfer it or put on retention before you get rid of whatever motor it's on. Fine if keeping long term.

Putting a number on retention now takes less than five minutes online.

It did used to be a proper pain but now its extremely simple !

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Their old car is a banger and will never run again - will probably need to be physically lifted onto a low loader!!!! I don't know anything about the costs of private plates never having owned them and having no burning desire ever to do so, but each to their own....

You cannot transfer a number off a vehicle that does not have an MOT.....

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
You cannot transfer a number off a vehicle that does not have an MOT.....
from DVLA website

Pre-1960 vehicles need a valid MOT to transfer a registration number.

Both vehicles should be currently taxed. However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply as long as:

• its vehicle tax has run out in the last 12 months
  • there’s no break between the date the vehicle tax runs out and the start of the SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
from DVLA website

Pre-1960 vehicles need a valid MOT to transfer a registration number.

Both vehicles should be currently taxed. However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply as long as:

• its vehicle tax has run out in the last 12 months
  • there’s no break between the date the vehicle tax runs out and the start of the SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)

I knew there was something in place to make it hard to transfer numbers of either old or unused for a long time vehicles. (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If buying through DVLA they will do the change over for you.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As a absolute Private plate Nut:rolleyes:
It's far too simple now, Im buying them like sweets:whistle:
Paid for, I might add out of my Quit Smoking fund(y) So its a win win for me:D
Collection so far
GB GEO on the RV (Actualy G13 GEO)
GEO 6 PAM on the Autotrail
GEO 2 BEZ on the Chrysler Car (Surname Berry)
GEO 3 TOW on the Recovery
GEO 4 TWO on the Smart For Two (TOAD)
G600 PAM on Pammy's Car

FOR SALE
K1 ARV For Sale on Retention
K1 TOAD For sale on Retention (K1 7OAD)

Any psychiatrist out there:(
Geo

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We've had HIL 9365/9366 for many years, looking for HIL 3964 or 3967 if anyone's got them?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And when you've done all of the above John, your be in the shop getting your new plates then they ask you for money to drill the bloody holes, 50p a hole in Halfords or do it yourself. :rolleyes:
Stick them on then saves drilling holes.
Alteratively, go to a local motor shop and not Halfords.
Remember to take your documents with you for the plates and legally made plates have the postcode of the company that made the plates, hence why illegally spaced plates don't have a post code on them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back