Planning for France next year ??? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We went before the UK were EU members. I doubt we will be unwelcome (well our money will be welcome if we aren't) afterwards.

The mechanics / formalities have not yet been announced even if they have been decided yet.

There might be a restriction on how much alcohol etc we can bring back, but we don't know as yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Mrs Brown should have no problem - Irish:whistle:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
If there are any problems, it certainly won't be from the French side, you will be most welcome as usual. Anything the clueless, bonkers, out of control UK government does is a different matter. But I'm sure it will be fine. Really. It's been brilliant so far, hasn't it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Like many we would like to go over the water to France next year. Likely around early summer..

What are the complexities with respect to brexit ? What considerations should we be making ? Or is it to early to say yet ?

Cheers.
Still to early to tell. You might need an international driving licence and medical insurance might cost more but nothing is certain yet. The whole situation is so fluid at the moment. Almost entertaining really. Almost. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hope it sorts itself out, (no-one else seems to be able to do it), or our time in Burgundy is bu&&ered..

Reactions: Pia

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Still to early to tell. You might need an international driving licence and medical insurance might cost more but nothing is certain yet. The whole situation is so fluid at the moment. Almost entertaining really. Almost. :)

Not wanting to nitpick but might be important as it's an IDP not an IDL you may need - and there are two types.

And from the AA website:

"Your UK driving licence is all you need in most European countries, but venture further afield and you might have to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP), too.

An IDP is basically an official, multi-language translation of your driving licence.

• Recognised worldwide, it’s valid for 12 months.
  • As long as you carry it as well as your UK licence, it usually allows you to drive a private vehicle.
  • Make sure you read the important notes on the application form.
Most countries require what’s known as a 1949 Convention IDP, but some ask for a 1926 Convention IDP.

If you do need an IDP, the quickest way of getting one is to visit your nearest IDP-issuing Post Office

An International Driving Permit is not the same as an International Driving Licence (IDL) – which isn’t a legally recognised document. (my italics)

Driving in the EU after Brexit
The Government has confirmed that if there is ‘no deal’ then mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end.

This would mean that UK drivers wishing to drive in Europe after 29 March 2019 would need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP):

• A 1949 Convention IDP (Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta, Cyprus), or
  • A1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries, Norway and Switzerland)
It has been estimated that up to 7 million IDPs may be required in the first year if there's 'no deal'.

Whether there's a deal or not, the Government has decided that, from 1 February 2019:

• IDPs will be issued by around 2,500 Post Offices (they're currently issued by 89)
  • The AA (and RAC) will no longer be permitted to issue IDPs
  • Mail order facilities for applying for an IDP will cease to exist
Hopefully an agreement can be reached to prevent further red tape and expense for drivers.

Reactions: DBK

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have forked our quite a few bob to go to the Greek Islands next Summer.

I didn’t give the EU a second thought.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
At this very moment, allegedly, Boulangeries across France are petitioning President Macron because of the fear their sales of baguettes, croissants and pain au chocolats will suffer and cause them hardship if Brits are denied entry to their country.

Yes, trust me, the French can be revolting when they want to .....

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
As long as we place the same requirements to the EU citizens coming here I'll live with any the EU impose on me :p

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We're off to Spain and Morocco and Italy for the winter, we've bought an IDP just in case, £6 cheap for peace of mind, if they won't let us back in in May heyho we'll go to France

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We're off to Spain and Morocco and Italy for the winter, we've bought an IDP just in case, £6 cheap for peace of mind, if they won't let us back in in May heyho we'll go to France

I note that the AA will sell you one up to 31st January 2019. Their website says that
they cannot issue an IDP “with an effective date later than 31st January 2019.”
Does this mean effective START date has to be prior to 31st January or that it becomes invalid on 1st February 2019, irrespective of having taken it out within the 12 months?
(I was thinking of applying for one for use in Spain on my way up to Bilbao in June in the hope that it would be valid for 12 months from issuance.)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I can see we will have a problem here, no fixed address, travel insurance, retirees to provide proof of income for last 6 months

schengen.JPG

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If there are any problems, it certainly won't be from the French side, you will be most welcome as usual. Anything the clueless, bonkers, out of control UK government does is a different matter. But I'm sure it will be fine. Really. It's been brilliant so far, hasn't it?
Wow......staggered that project fear has spread into France( or perhaps not)
Talking of out-of-control governments......

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The one big problem for many of us is the 90 day rule.

Anyone owning property in a Schengen country or any over winterers will be hit badly.

We will certainly have to sell our French base as the costs of maintaining it for severely restricted use will render it uneconomic.

Still, non Schengen countries and the U.K. itself will benefit from our extra spending there.:xThumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have forked our quite a few bob to go to the Greek Islands next Summer.

I didn’t give the EU a second thought.
That is The EU,,BUSBY:xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back