Phantom lights! (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
This is a strange one. Something I've only noticed this year, when we're on EHU the led spotlights "glow" slightly when they're off. This doesn't happen when we're not on EHU. Obviously it can only be seen at night. It seems odd because the lights don't actually work off EHU but off the 12v system. Any ideas please?

Neil Ric Tic

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 11, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740+
Exp
Getting There!
We have the same problem with the lights over the cab door.......and we never use EHU!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
It's a well known issue - just Google it. Usually a bit of a duff earth, dodgy wire or can be caused by having an on/off indicator in the circuit as well.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It happens in our house as well. I have a pair over a bathroom mirror that do it. You can use them as exit lights:LOL:

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi
We have had the same issue. Only happens when we are over the water. It’s caused by the polarity being reversed on the hook up. Turn the two pin plug adapter around & it-will disappear.
Usual wiring is neutral to bulb & live through switch. Having the polarity reversed causes the bulb to very slightly glow in the dark.
Worked for us.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
We have had the same issue. Only happens when we are over the water. It’s caused by the polarity being reversed on the hook up. Turn the two pin plug adapter around & it-will disappear.
Usual wiring is neutral to bulb & live through switch. Having the polarity reversed causes the bulb to very slightly glow in the dark.
Worked for us.

Very odd.

The LEDs are dc (and, in fact, will only work if the dc polarity is correct) and is completely unrelated to the fact the the ac Live and Neutrals are reversed.

I don’t understand why you’ve experienced what you have but it’s most odd.

Ian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Very odd.

The LEDs are dc (and, in fact, will only work if the dc polarity is correct) and is completely unrelated to the fact the the ac Live and Neutrals are reversed.

Ian
I thought the op was talking about 220v led's as you say the 12v ones need correct polarity?

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi
Our lights are mains. When you mentioned only on hook up I thought yours were the same.
Didn’t register your last line.

Sorry

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Very odd.

Ian
With reverse polarity the switch is after the lamp, normally the switch is before the lamp. LEDS need so little power that having a live feed may be enough.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
With reverse polarity the switch is after the lamp, normally the switch is before the lamp. LEDS need so little power that having a live feed may be enough.

The ‘reverse polarity’ being referred to is on the a.c. supply not the d.c. supply.

In any case, irrespective of the wattage, you still need a return path.

Your explanation would make sense if there was a short to earth but not otherwise.

Ian

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The ‘reverse polarity’ being referred to is on the a.c. supply not the d.c. supply.

In any case, irrespective of the wattage, you still need a return path.

Your explanation would make sense if there was a short to earth but not otherwise.

Ian
You may be right but LED lamps required so little power that the induction voltage may be enough.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Modern lights are switched on and off by solid state switches (ie transistor) not relays. That's why they can be dimmed.
Normally say 2ma leakage current wouldn't be anywhere near enough to light up a bulb but an led will light up. The switching circuit needs a small modification... Or a proper switch ?

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
@Camping Gaza , having read the link you posted I suddenly realised that this has only happened since (a) television aerial was fitted or (b) we had an additional 230v three pin plug socket installed (by a qualified electrician, albeit one who had never installed in a motor home before). The electrical cable for the socket was put in by the aerial installer, the electrician just had to fit the socket and wire it into the consumer unit. Although a lot of the info in the link goes over my head, it did mention something about adjacent cabling. Is it possible that the new electrical cable is next to the 12v lighting cable?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
possible that the new electrical cable is next to the 12v lighting cable

If it is this, it will probably be worse when the new socket is being used by something. Try switching a toaster on and off and see if it has an effect.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Had a similar experience. Turned out the lead and plug I was using to recharge a torch via a 12v cig. lighter socket in the MoHo was allowing a voltage to flow back into the 12v. circuit allowing our led lights to glow slightly. Anything plugged into your 12v sockets that might be doing similar?

Does your new TV aerial have a signal booster. Wonder its something to do with it? Try unplugging the power lead to the signal booster to see if that stops the LEDs glowing. May take a few seconds to the glow to extinguish.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I’ll trade you for my 12.45am alarm that goes off every night. I can’t find any way of even setting the time on the thing, let alone a damned alarm!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back