Personal security during a break-in (1 Viewer)

Hatty04

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Valentine
Exp
Interesting thread. It's actually an offence in the UK to have any item intended for self defence. Pepper/incapacitant sprays are prohbited (5 years in pokey). That's 'intended' being the important part. If you are unfortunate enough to confront an intruder and they don't leave, especially after a challenge/warning, you can reasonably assume they are likely to cause you or others harm. If, in the course of self defence you use anything that comes to hand, that's not a problem. It's all about reasonable force. If what you do is reasonable in the circumstances, not a problem. If they leg it and you fire up the wagon, chase them down the road and run them down...not reasonable.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If they leg it and you fire up the wagon, chase them down the road and run them down...not reasonable.
Spoil sport .... :giggle: ... mind you I wouldn't want to damage my camper or get it splattered with blood.:LOL:

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
As expected there's a lot of discussion on our Motorhome Security forum about alarm systems and deadbolts to defend against break ins. However, I'm interested in how people would react if a ne'er do good (a rogue) actually broke in whilst you were inside.

I'm probably kidding myself although perhaps I might grab something heavy, but would I really strike out at someone as they rifle through my belongings looking for valuables. Probably not.

I'm coming around to thinking a peppar spray might be the thing to persuade a visitor to leave, and do so without risking getting myself a criminal record for assault. Does anyone know if it can be used safely in a closed environment such as a motorhome, I.e. without causing a burning sensation, pain and temporary blindness to myself?

If so I need better ideas !
Pepper spray is a great idea but beware, in the eyes of our Rsuppards snowflake legal system you would be considered to be a threat to society for having the audacity to protect you and yours!:banghead:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Interesting thread. It's actually an offence in the UK to have any item intended for self defence.
It's an offence to be in possession of an offensive weapon or prohibited article.

If on the other hand, you happen to have an item which is legitimately intended for another purpose and could reasonably be expected to be in your possession in the circumstances...

Rounders, anyone? (although best to also have the ball handy)

Mallet (tent pegs likewise)

Crooklock for the steering wheel (you should have one of those in the van) :smiley:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
When I worked in A&E it was not unusual for people to attend having been sprayed with this kind of thing. Not only were they in some distress but the fumes coming off them would affect the area making it very unpleasant. That was indoors but not a confined space, so I wouldn't recommend any such idea.

Wyn

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Four cell Maglite is a handy bit of kit.
Screenshot_20200818-102107.png

Hatty04

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Valentine
Exp
Pepper spray is a great idea but beware, in the eyes of our Rsuppards snowflake legal system you would be considered to be a threat to society for having the audacity to protect you and yours!:banghead:

Protecting yourself, and others, is perfectly legal. Having any implement with the intention of using it for that, other than spontaneously, is not.....

Hatty04

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Valentine
Exp
Indeed, and a pefectly normal item to have laying to hand...........especially in a MH/caravan..
Spoil sport .... :giggle: ... mind you I wouldn't want to damage my camper or get it splattered with blood.:LOL:
Yes, blood is very corrosive on aluminium...

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Remember in the UK at "home" the test isn't actually reasonable force, but just less than grossly disproportionate force. i.e. if you reasonably fear for your safety in your home (including a caravan), lethal force is considered acceptable and you are not required to retreat or negotiate. You are allowed to kill an intruder into your home who you reasonably fear may harm you, but you aren't allowed to tie them up first (that is considered "grossly" disproportionate force and is never lawful). Outside your home, the lower test for reasonable force applies.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Remember in the UK at "home" the test isn't actually reasonable force, but just less than grossly disproportionate force. i.e. if you reasonably fear for your safety in your home (including a caravan), lethal force is considered acceptable and you are not required to retreat or negotiate. You are allowed to kill an intruder into your home who you reasonably fear may harm you, but you aren't allowed to tie them up first (that is considered "grossly" disproportionate force and is never lawful). Outside your home, the lower test for reasonable force applies.
Another spoil sport! :giggle: I was planning on keeping a nice supply of wet fish to give any intruder a good slapping after they'd been hog-tied!!! :LOL:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another spoil sport! :giggle: I was planning on keeping a nice supply of wet fish to give any intruder a good slapping after they'd been hog-tied!!! :LOL:

That's OK. The ban on grossly disproportionate force means you can't kill them after tying them up. You can still tie them up and explain that the slapping with the fish was just to keep them subdued until the police arrived.

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
I was on my way to the kitchen and i tripped with a machete to butter my bread at 3 am I didnt see his head fall off :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You can buy pepper sprays in France. I bought a couple ( thought they might be useful travelling alone in a motorhome)
However, I tried it out in my bedroom when I was being targeted by a very angry hornet. My bedroom was 15 feet x 15 with 9 foot high ceilings so bigger than a motorhome. I was coughing and spluttering for about an hour, had to strip my bed and wash all the bedding and that didnā€™t wash it out of the pillowcases. So possibly not the best thing in a motorhome. Iā€™ve been told the cheapest perfumed body spray, directed into an attackers face , is just as effective. Hair spray would also be pretty nasty. Iā€™d also go for a good old fashioned rape alarm. Pull the pin and itā€™s deafening.
But preventing someone getting in is the best thing.
Where do you buy pepper spray ?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just buy an eddivanbitz alarm and have it set when you go to bed, you will have reduced the chance of an intruder by 99.999% Night all and sleep well (y)

Edited to say be more Zebra............

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I accidentally got spray perfume in one eye once, never again, stings and difficult to wash out so thatā€™s what I would use. Although I donā€™t think the situation would arise!

Chilcote

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff
Exp
Since2009
I wouldnt worry too much about what you might do, in the unlikely event of an intruder, what you actually do will be instinctive and with little control. The vast majority of us will move away from dangerous situations, some, very few, will confront it, think little old ladies hitting post office robbers with an umbrella.

I would say in the situation you describe your voice is the best weapon and it cant be turned against you. Make lots of noise, scream and shout.

Chilcote

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff
Exp
Since2009
I think you are right Jim. We were travelling through France a couple of years ago and stopped for the night. I awoke to find two men going through our things inside the MH. I jumped out of bed shouting which was enough to startle them and they jumped out. The mistake I made was chasing them outside where they had a car waiting with the doors open. With hindsight I might have put myself in more risk doing this than closing the door and locking ourselves in. I have now fitted deadlocks to the door.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Where do you buy pepper spray ?

Most large fuel stations. It is usually in with the "lorry blinging" parts like electric horns, 24v kettles, stick on chrome stuff etc,
I accidentally got spray perfume in one eye once, never again, stings and difficult to wash out so thatā€™s what I would use. Although I donā€™t think the situation would arise!
Try wiping your eye after eating spicy chillis . :cry::crying: I keep meaning to save the juice.:laughing:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Sound track off Deliverance and dueling banjos tends to work,, * Squeal like a piggy boy!* :rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
another vote for cheap perfume or spray, would probably affect me more though. ant killer spray is great too anyone else been to Roses? :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back