Personal security during a break-in (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Using reasonable force against intruders
You can use reasonable force to protect yourself or others if a crime is taking place inside your home.
This means you can:
  • protect yourself ‘in the heat of the moment’ - this includes using an object as a weapon
  • stop an intruder running off - for example by tackling them to the ground
There’s no specific definition of ‘reasonable force’ - it depends on the circumstances. If you only did what you honestly thought was necessary at the time, this would provide strong evidence that you acted within the law. Read guidance from the Crown Prosecution Service.
You do not have to wait to be attacked before defending yourself in your home.
However, you could be prosecuted if, for example, you:
  • carry on attacking the intruder even if you’re no longer in danger
  • pre-plan a trap for someone - rather than involve the police

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wouldnt worry too much about what you might do, in the unlikely event of an intruder, what you actually do will be instinctive and with little control. The vast majority of us will move away from dangerous situations, some, very few, will confront it, think little old ladies hitting post office robbers with an umbrella.

I would say in the situation you describe your voice is the best weapon and it cant be turned against you. Make lots of noise, scream and shout.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We just slept through the intrusion into our van! Only realised someone had been in the next day. I think the deterrent was the wall of lounge back cushions filling up the cab.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Fire extinguisher every time. Legal, powerful, makes a good club when empty.

My fire extinguisher is right by the side door so more likely to be used by an intruder against me.

Using reasonable force against intruders
You can use reasonable force to protect yourself or others if a crime is taking place inside your home.
This means you can:
  • protect yourself ‘in the heat of the moment’ - this includes using an object as a weapon
  • stop an intruder running off - for example by tackling them to the ground
There’s no specific definition of ‘reasonable force’ - it depends on the circumstances. If you only did what you honestly thought was necessary at the time, this would provide strong evidence that you acted within the law. Read guidance from the Crown Prosecution Service.
You do not have to wait to be attacked before defending yourself in your home.
However, you could be prosecuted if, for example, you:
  • carry on attacking the intruder even if you’re no longer in danger
  • pre-plan a trap for someone - rather than involve the police

At least there is one example where the CPS didn't press a murder charge:

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Of all the reported incidents posted on FUN regarding people waking to find some scroat robbing them how many have actually grappled with the scroat?

NONE, the robber ran away every time. .
Probably saw them grappling with their scrote :Smile:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When we first moved to spain we were told " injured"= problem , dead = no problem" ......................by the Guardia.:rofl:

When I am inside the van at night there are only 2 ways in. Smash the cab window & climb through or the sliding door , & that has a chain to prevent full opening + you can't get in as I'm sleeping across it.:doh::laughing:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
A can of WD40 or similar inflammable aerosol, point at the oik, with a naked flame poised to ignite said aerosol . . .

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
I always have a large aerosol of de icer handy in my motorhome. It is capable of Spraying a concentrated stream of de icer quite far and accurately

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I'm fairly sure anyone trying to break in would wake me up. In which case a a loud shout offering advice about where they should go, followed by opening the sliding door in the bulk head wall, getting in the cab and driving away.

If they got in my umbrella just so happens to have a rather pointy metal end on it.

While at university my flat mate arrived home at gone midnight and three days early. He almost got his head caved in with my landing net pole - that's essentially a 10ft rod made of metal.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I wouldnt worry too much about what you might do, in the unlikely event of an intruder, what you actually do will be instinctive and with little control. The vast majority of us will move away from dangerous situations, some, very few, will confront it, think little old ladies hitting post office robbers with an umbrella.

I would say in the situation you describe your voice is the best weapon and it cant be turned against you. Make lots of noise, scream and shout.

This is the truth, and i speak as someone who has had an intruder.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If I remember correctly, pepper spray isn't legal in the UK so you might be prosecuted for possesion and assault if used here
That is correct. That said...

I have some bear spray which we brought back from Canada when we shipped our motorhome back and it is very handy near the Han door just in case

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Personally, I think a VERY powerful torch or floodlight flashed straight into the face of anybody entering the van would sufficiently disorientate them and encourage their early departure.

For your part, you were just looking to see what was going on... ;) (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As well as making your van as secure as you are happy with to be asleep in overnight, I would more importantly be seriously questioning the risk of this happening by the type of area I was thinking of staying in
Do you really want to be in such areas where this might happen, or an area that has the potential to lead to such activity?
A remote secluded spot might be the sort of place this could perhaps happen, for example when wilding, but I personally doubt the risks would be such if you were in a more commercial or organised or official place to stay, with others around or near you.
It's only my opinion, but the carrying out of a risk assessment by yourself when you stop is probably one of the best things for your piece of mind.
If it don't look safe or you feel uneasy about an area, move on somewhere else until you are happy.
Don't be in an area where you think this might or could happen, and probably best to be near, but not on top of,other like-minded motorhomers, campers and caravaners.
Not in my limited experience. We were broken into in a tent on a large campsite near Seville. Lots of targets in a small area. They robbed several pitches.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had an unwanted caller this evening, the third Irish guy in a week wanting to buy the camper. My dogs went crazy when he knocked the door and were barking and snarling. I put them away and opened the door and the guy had retreated down the path to the pavement

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If someone got in our MH/camper they wouldn't walk out that's for sure ... they might crawl though after they've had a good beating from me and hubby, and had their nether regions 'rearranged' by the dogs ...

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Its important to remember you should think about where you park and whose around you, you don't want to be a target for bad guys, in my experience in a van (not MH) and having travelled as far as Moscow/Marrakesh/Cario and Baku as well as Route 66 I've learned to always make the vehicle keys un-obtainable to anyone but myself (could be a safe or just a safe place) and just in case I get hot and bothered in the night I freeze a small bottle of water and to keep it frozen I wrap it in a sock and tie a knot just below the bottle, its a waste of time as in over 30 years on the road I've only used it once, but it really did do the job. Very refreshing in the middle of the night in Tangiers

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Not in my limited experience. We were broken into in a tent on a large campsite near Seville. Lots of targets in a small area. They robbed several pitches.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that about your break-in.
I was only thinking when I posted about the UK safety aspect.
I have no experience or comment to offer outside of UK as I have not taken our van abroad.
Sorry. 🤔

Reactions: DBK

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Its important to remember you should think about where you park and whose around you, you don't want to be a target for bad guys, in my experience in a van (not MH) and having travelled as far as Moscow/Marrakesh/Cario and Baku as well as Route 66 I've learned to always make the vehicle keys un-obtainable to anyone but myself (could be a safe or just a safe place) and just in case I get hot and bothered in the night I freeze a small bottle of water and to keep it frozen I wrap it in a sock and tie a knot just below the bottle, its a waste of time as in over 30 years on the road I've only used it once, but it really did do the job. Very refreshing in the middle of the night in Tangiers

Ah, Tangiers. The first place I took Jan to just after we met 25 years ago. The Cafe de Paris was full of shady characters, just as it would have been since time immemorial. There was a tall handsome grey haired Frenchman next to us who looked like a spy, which added to the atmosphere! We stepped outside and were besieged by locals wanting to be your -expensive- friend!

Jun 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since early 2014
As a former user of CS gas, I can assure you, you do not want to use it in an enclosed space if you haven’t experienced it before, or even if you have! We have a panic button installed in our Moho, which sets off the alarm and notifies the monitoring control room of the alarm/gps location etc, and they will notify the local law (European) if they don’t get a sharpish answer on our phone.
As luck would have it, I also keep our small kindling for winter bbqs axe in our inside tool kit, in case we need emergency kindling. :whistle2:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
from of Movan's frisky posts lately if an intruder broke into her or my van and they were tall dark and handsome (or not) they would be worried as I am not sure they would escape unharmed :rofl: :rofl: :welcome4: come in and stay a while.......

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Quick exit out back door n let Mrs Poppycamper sort them out... Wimp.. Nope ...sensible...oh yea...🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
As well as making your van as secure as you are happy with to be asleep in overnight, I would more importantly be seriously questioning the risk of this happening by the type of area I was thinking of staying in
Do you really want to be in such areas where this might happen, or an area that has the potential to lead to such activity?
A remote secluded spot might be the sort of place this could perhaps happen, for example when wilding, but I personally doubt the risks would be such if you were in a more commercial or organised or official place to stay, with others around or near you.
It's only my opinion, but the carrying out of a risk assessment by yourself when you stop is probably one of the best things for your piece of mind.
If it don't look safe or you feel uneasy about an area, move on somewhere else until you are happy.
Don't be in an area where you think this might or could happen, and probably best to be near, but not on top of,other like-minded motorhomers, campers and caravaners.

As a solo female traveler I have never experienced any bother from potential intruders (I am pleased to say) in many years of traveling and parking up throughout Scotland, England and Wales in petty antique and unreliable horse boxes (always complete with stallion and assorted dogs) in all sorts of odd and remote places.
I have allso spent many a long hour waiting to be recovered from the hard shoulder of various motorways in tbe afore mentioned vehicles with a kindly traffic col parked behind me waiting to see me safely rescued
These days my dogs and I travel in the uk and through France and Spain in our motorhome. (Touch wood, we have not broken down yet). On these trips we mostly wild camp in remote areas. I feel that the likelihood of there being an intruder lurking about waiting on the off chance of my turning up is extremely remote .
I think such undesirables are far more likely to be hanging around known rest areas, campsites etc., plus anyone trying to enter having disturbed my young dog (a Spanish Mastiff) would be foolish indeed!

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Pepper spray is illegal in the UK, it is classed as a firearm under the Firearms act. Importing it, selling it, buying it or being in possession of it is an offence, if you used it on an intruder you would probably get jail time for it. Also, in my experience when deployed in a small space everyone gets it and mayhem and panic ensues. However, if you wish to have something to hand almost anything can be employed as both an offensive and defensive weapon, from a pencil to a cast iron frying pan, a wheel brace, keys or a fork. Or a chilli powder shaker...etc

The judicious use of violence is not a natural state for most, the will to employ violence as a means to an end takes some doing, a good deal of practice, the correct motivation, full alertness and a strong stomach; I'm guessing that most of the fine readers on here would not fit the profile! Also, know your law, know when defence falls over into offence; it is a very easy line to cross when the red mist descends.

I am constantly amused by this recurring theme. I think the likely hood of it happening are next to zero. Choose your pitch carefully, don't park in areas that look dodgy and lock the door; the fear of crime is more of a concern and will affect your enjoyment. If some skull does get into your van then you get out the other side and let them do whatever they want and let the Polis deal with them - nothing, absolutely nothing is worth getting seriously injured, killed or jailed for; the only thing that should concern you is your safety and the safety of those you love.

Relax, you should be more concerned about fire risks, now that is a strong possibility of death.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back