Personal security during a break-in (1 Viewer)

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
As expected there's a lot of discussion on our Motorhome Security forum about alarm systems and deadbolts to defend against break ins. However, I'm interested in how people would react if a ne'er do good (a rogue) actually broke in whilst you were inside.

I'm probably kidding myself although perhaps I might grab something heavy, but would I really strike out at someone as they rifle through my belongings looking for valuables. Probably not.

I'm coming around to thinking a peppar spray might be the thing to persuade a visitor to leave, and do so without risking getting myself a criminal record for assault. Does anyone know if it can be used safely in a closed environment such as a motorhome, I.e. without causing a burning sensation, pain and temporary blindness to myself?

If so I need better ideas !

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
If someone is willing to break in, whilst they know you're in there, show their face to you and isn't frightened away....I dont think pepper spraying them would be wise, even of you did get close enough...they're liable to do you serious harm - after all, what have they got to lose?

Relax- odds are insignificant that this will happen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You can buy pepper sprays in France. I bought a couple ( thought they might be useful travelling alone in a motorhome)
However, I tried it out in my bedroom when I was being targeted by a very angry hornet. My bedroom was 15 feet x 15 with 9 foot high ceilings so bigger than a motorhome. I was coughing and spluttering for about an hour, had to strip my bed and wash all the bedding and that didn’t wash it out of the pillowcases. So possibly not the best thing in a motorhome. I’ve been told the cheapest perfumed body spray, directed into an attackers face , is just as effective. Hair spray would also be pretty nasty. I’d also go for a good old fashioned rape alarm. Pull the pin and it’s deafening.
But preventing someone getting in is the best thing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I doubt many would stay for a fight, they would be off faster than you got out of bed

unless of course you have blinded them, then they are going nowhere 🤔

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
me personally, I would be busy trying to get the dogs to release the intruder, it would not be a pretty sight, with plenty of DNA evidence of who broke in

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have an old big maglite torch deliberately next to my bed. It is a torch but is as big as a rounders bat. With my wife and kids in there, if I wake up and see someone, they are having it till they are out or no longer pose a threat inside.

That would be if they stayed long enough to see my naked bulk flying at them whilst roaring with rage. :)

Oh and if the 25KG Belgian Shepard let them in in the first place. Quite likely as she is as thick as mince and loves people!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
As expected there's a lot of discussion on our Motorhome Security forum about alarm systems and deadbolts to defend against break ins. However, I'm interested in how people would react if a ne'er do good (a rogue) actually broke in whilst you were inside.

I'm probably kidding myself although perhaps I might grab something heavy, but would I really strike out at someone as they rifle through my belongings looking for valuables. Probably not.

I'm coming around to thinking a peppar spray might be the thing to persuade a visitor to leave, and do so without risking getting myself a criminal record for assault. Does anyone know if it can be used safely in a closed environment such as a motorhome, I.e. without causing a burning sensation, pain and temporary blindness to myself?

If so I need better ideas !
Where do you plan to take the pepper spray? It is illegal in many countries, the UK included.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
to thinking a peppar spray might be the thing to persuade a visitor to leave, and do so without risking getting myself a criminal record for assault.
But not in the Uk .It is classed as the same as carrying a gun ,so you might as well . :rofl:
Even I wouldn't use pepper spray in an enclosed vehicle preferring a fire extinguisher, fly spray or my favourite spanish floor cleaner.

It is illegal in many countries, the UK included.
but not spain ,France or Germany.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I’ve been told the cheapest perfumed body spray, directed into an attackers face , is just as effective. .

That'll be the Lynx effect presumably...

Apart from that, get a mean dog, but I'm unsure how my existing two free loaders would take to having another dog in the family.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The simple fact is unless you are extremely well trained and practice that training regularly any weapon you keep to hand is more likely to be used by them on you rather than visa versa.

Thieves tends to be cowards, a loud scream is likely to send them running. The other option is to remain silent, pretend to be asleep and let them get what they came for without hurting you.

To be honest. In 11 years of fulltiming I have stopped worrying about it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have a nice long and heavy Maglite torch in the door pocket which is only to light up the intruder of course :whistle2: and also two FirePal fire extinguishers to hand that can be set off at the intruded if needed.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I'm getting the message that peppar spray is not the way forward.

Is there a consensus on how to get a stubborn burglar to leave if I haven't got a guard dog available?

Rape alarm, nudity, a bloody big torch, hairspray and violence seem front runners so far.
drag them out by their feet whilst they are unconscious is the easiest way. Lifting an average 75kg man as a dead weight is not as easy as it appears on tv

Try to avoid the use of weapons unless the intruder threatens you with one. If the police get involved there will be less hassle

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
As well as making your van as secure as you are happy with to be asleep in overnight, I would more importantly be seriously questioning the risk of this happening by the type of area I was thinking of staying in
Do you really want to be in such areas where this might happen, or an area that has the potential to lead to such activity?
A remote secluded spot might be the sort of place this could perhaps happen, for example when wilding, but I personally doubt the risks would be such if you were in a more commercial or organised or official place to stay, with others around or near you.
It's only my opinion, but the carrying out of a risk assessment by yourself when you stop is probably one of the best things for your piece of mind.
If it don't look safe or you feel uneasy about an area, move on somewhere else until you are happy.
Don't be in an area where you think this might or could happen, and probably best to be near, but not on top of,other like-minded motorhomers, campers and caravaners.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
The trouble is ...Using a very large torch or tyre iron or anything else heavy and blunt, on a totally unarmed intruder, could land you In deep water.
Before anyone smashes in the skull of an intruder, just be sure that’s what he’s planning for you - I know it’s impossible to know but sadly, that’s the law for you these days ☹️

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I would assume any thief prepared to hang around I likely to be better armed than you. Discretion is the better part of valour

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back