Peloponnese clockwise or anti clockwise? June/July 19

Discussion in 'Greece Turkey' started by Mousy, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,669
    Hi funster hive mind. We are off this weekend to Greece arriving in Patras 16th May via ferry. Should we turn left or right? We will have 3 months to explore the Peloponnese peninsula, with mostly wild camping, chilling and eating in mind.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome...

• Love it Love it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  2. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +21,258
    Shall watch with interest as it's on my bucket list (y)
    Enjoy the trip

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +60,756
    I’m sure you’ll have a great time whichever direction you go in
    We love Greece so much we’re going again ourselves in June
    Might see you on a beach somewhere

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +26,509
    Did the Peloponnese clockwise, turned back and then went anti-clockwise in the same trip.
    We loved every minute of it. but we were sailing in a yacht!
    Sorry!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,804
    Hi Dawn & Martin enjoy Greece can't remember if we went left or right lots to enjoy. Have a good time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,489
    Wear lots of sun screen, drink lots of water ;) take lots of photos, and have lots of fun - can’t help with the directions, but I’m sure whichever way you go it’ll be good! xx

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Offagain

Offagain Funster

Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
    Ratings:
    +10,023
    That’s very interesting. We will probably be doing the same thing at the same time.
    Except on our yacht!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tykatem

Tykatem Funster

Ratings:
    +6,627
    We're crossing over to Patras on 6th June, turning right then slowly heading towards the Turkish border and into Bulgaria.

Pete

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  9. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,030
    Something I was told that came in handy in NZ.
    Keep the coast on your side of the road as it’s easier to stop and take in the views :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +9,533
    Ditto

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +945
    Really good idea...................so we went anti clockwise and into Bulgaria.Back through Eastern Europe and despite what some say we really enjoyed Romania.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +60,756
    Take plenty of slimline tonic if you drink it
    We never found any in Greece

Cheers !

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Mousy

Ratings:
    +18,669
    You’re talking to someone who had to write L and R on her hands to pass her driving test....:eek:

If we are going anti-clockwise in a LHD what side of the road should we be on? Mind blown already :ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Mousy

Ratings:
    +18,669
    Robert, you’ve just increased our payload by about 40 litres!

• Love it Love it x 1
  15. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +4,701
    Mousy

I only know the East of the Peloponese.

Monevassia old town on the peninsula is worth a visit - might have to park on new town side and walk across the causeway.

Just north of Monevassia is a small village called Gerakas, which sits on side of a mini-fjord with waterfront tavenas. Try the taverna where the hanging octopus are inside a glass display on the quay to keep off the flies.

Further north still is the village of Kipparisi(not to be confused with Kiparissia in west of peloponese). It is quite a few kms from the main road and is a dead-end(or was- as they had started to build a road along the coast to the north). It is on a horse-shoe bay with a dramatic 3000' cliff behind which looks dramatic at sunrise. A few tavernas, but provisions in the shop are meagre so go stocked up. Bread can be ordered the day before. Some good walking. A place to chill out for a few days.

Nafplion is a town with a Venetian castle - I seem to remember 390 steps up. Very busy market along main road on a Saturday.

Ermioni is worth a visit, mainly because it has good supermarket but also some tavernas on the south side of the peninsula overlooking the sea.

From Ermioni one could take a day trip on a hydrofoil to visit island of Hydra(no cars) which has main town like amphitheatre with some substantial houses many built by ships' captains. Some nice boutique hotels if you wish to stay a night or two. It is expensive, for Greece.

Further round the coast one comes to Galatas which has a good view across to Poros island, which is a pretty town with some beaches to its north. Do not bother to take the MH over unless you decide to stay as there are water-taxis across the 300m channel about every 10 minutes.

Before you reach Galatas as you come down to the water's edge on the right is the boatyard where I had my boat for years - she is still there. Beach and taverna there, so you could spend the night with pretty view.

Any questions just ask away.

Are you on MotorhomeFacts? as pjay there has an excellent guide to Greek parking spots.

Geoff

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Mousy

Ratings:
    +18,669
    @nicholsong thats all so helpful thank you for taking the time to reply. A new addition to us this year is a little motorcycle scooter (with box for the dog!) so hopefully it will be easier to access all these little out of the way places.
    We island hopped many moons ago together and loved Greece so we are excited to take the Moho with lots of time to explore.

17. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +4,701
    Be careful with the use of the scooter - because you may find places you want to stay and wish you had taken the MH. Oh well you could always go back the next day:D

I am itching to get our MH there, but we are constrained by Basia's nearly 98 year-old Mother.

Forgot to say, get the best large-scale maps you can, which give some dirt tracks down to remote beaches/bays - usually easily driveable in summer.

If you have the money get out to some of the smaller islands that you have hopped. My choice would be Koufonisia, Amorgos, Patmos. Astypalia. Maybe some ferry lines will do an inclusive ticket.

Wildcamping is easy. Keep water topped up - even stopping for a drink bars/tavernas will often accomodate with a 20lt can fill-up.

Yamas!

Geoff

• Like it Like it x 2
  18. pjay

pjay Funster

Ratings:
    +447
    Hi Mousy, we've been visiting Greece on and off for a while now with the motorhome, first trip was back in 2001 on the old Minoan rust bucket Erotokritos camping on deck from Venice to Patras, the ship broke down in the early hours at Corfu and we had to transfer to an even scruffier ship for the rest of our trip. Minoan don't do Camping on deck anymore and thankfully reliability has improved since then

As Geoff mentioned, I've compiled a google map of off grid spots that we and others have used over the years, you're more than welcome to use it. Its kept up to date regularly but please do send me any updates or amendments if you use any of the spots listed or find any new ones.

Have a great trip.

http://tinyurl.com/ya7uras

greece01_028[2].jpg greece01_132.jpg

Pete

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +4,701
    Pete

How are you?

I had not realised you are around on Fun, but thanks for responding.

Geoff

20. pjay

pjay Funster

Ratings:
    +447
    Hi Geoff, we're both fine.

Unfortunately no Greece for us this year, so will have to content myself with reading about other folks travels. Hope you are both well.

Pete