Peloponnese clockwise or anti clockwise? June/July 19 (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi funster hive mind. We are off this weekend to Greece arriving in Patras 16th May via ferry. Should we turn left or right? We will have 3 months to explore the Peloponnese peninsula, with mostly wild camping, chilling and eating in mind.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’m sure you’ll have a great time whichever direction you go in
We love Greece so much we’re going again ourselves in June
Might see you on a beach somewhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Did the Peloponnese clockwise, turned back and then went anti-clockwise in the same trip.
We loved every minute of it. but we were sailing in a yacht!
Sorry!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Dawn & Martin enjoy Greece can't remember if we went left or right lots to enjoy. Have a good time.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi funster hive mind. We are off this weekend to Greece arriving in Patras 16th May via ferry. Should we turn left or right? We will have 3 months to explore the Peloponnese peninsula, with mostly wild camping, chilling and eating in mind.

Wear lots of sun screen, drink lots of water ;) take lots of photos, and have lots of fun - can’t help with the directions, but I’m sure whichever way you go it’ll be good! xx

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
That’s very interesting. We will probably be doing the same thing at the same time.
Except on our yacht!

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We're crossing over to Patras on 6th June, turning right then slowly heading towards the Turkish border and into Bulgaria.

Pete

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Something I was told that came in handy in NZ.
Keep the coast on your side of the road as it’s easier to stop and take in the views :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Take plenty of slimline tonic if you drink it
We never found any in Greece

Cheers !

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Something I was told that came in handy in NZ.
Keep the coast on your side of the road as it’s easier to stop and take in the views :)

You’re talking to someone who had to write L and R on her hands to pass her driving test....:eek:

If we are going anti-clockwise in a LHD what side of the road should we be on? Mind blown already :ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Mousy

I only know the East of the Peloponese.

Monevassia old town on the peninsula is worth a visit - might have to park on new town side and walk across the causeway.

Just north of Monevassia is a small village called Gerakas, which sits on side of a mini-fjord with waterfront tavenas. Try the taverna where the hanging octopus are inside a glass display on the quay to keep off the flies.

Further north still is the village of Kipparisi(not to be confused with Kiparissia in west of peloponese). It is quite a few kms from the main road and is a dead-end(or was- as they had started to build a road along the coast to the north). It is on a horse-shoe bay with a dramatic 3000' cliff behind which looks dramatic at sunrise. A few tavernas, but provisions in the shop are meagre so go stocked up. Bread can be ordered the day before. Some good walking. A place to chill out for a few days.

Nafplion is a town with a Venetian castle - I seem to remember 390 steps up. Very busy market along main road on a Saturday.

Ermioni is worth a visit, mainly because it has good supermarket but also some tavernas on the south side of the peninsula overlooking the sea.

From Ermioni one could take a day trip on a hydrofoil to visit island of Hydra(no cars) which has main town like amphitheatre with some substantial houses many built by ships' captains. Some nice boutique hotels if you wish to stay a night or two. It is expensive, for Greece.

Further round the coast one comes to Galatas which has a good view across to Poros island, which is a pretty town with some beaches to its north. Do not bother to take the MH over unless you decide to stay as there are water-taxis across the 300m channel about every 10 minutes.

Before you reach Galatas as you come down to the water's edge on the right is the boatyard where I had my boat for years - she is still there. Beach and taverna there, so you could spend the night with pretty view.

Any questions just ask away.

Are you on MotorhomeFacts? as pjay there has an excellent guide to Greek parking spots.

Geoff

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@nicholsong thats all so helpful thank you for taking the time to reply. A new addition to us this year is a little motorcycle scooter (with box for the dog!) so hopefully it will be easier to access all these little out of the way places.
We island hopped many moons ago together and loved Greece so we are excited to take the Moho with lots of time to explore.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
@nicholsong thats all so helpful thank you for taking the time to reply. A new addition to us this year is a little motorcycle scooter (with box for the dog!) so hopefully it will be easier to access all these little out of the way places.
We island hopped many moons ago together and loved Greece so we are excited to take the Moho with lots of time to explore.

Be careful with the use of the scooter - because you may find places you want to stay and wish you had taken the MH. Oh well you could always go back the next day:D

I am itching to get our MH there, but we are constrained by Basia's nearly 98 year-old Mother.

Forgot to say, get the best large-scale maps you can, which give some dirt tracks down to remote beaches/bays - usually easily driveable in summer.

If you have the money get out to some of the smaller islands that you have hopped. My choice would be Koufonisia, Amorgos, Patmos. Astypalia. Maybe some ferry lines will do an inclusive ticket.

Wildcamping is easy. Keep water topped up - even stopping for a drink bars/tavernas will often accomodate with a 20lt can fill-up.

Yamas!

Geoff

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hi Mousy, we've been visiting Greece on and off for a while now with the motorhome, first trip was back in 2001 on the old Minoan rust bucket Erotokritos camping on deck from Venice to Patras, the ship broke down in the early hours at Corfu and we had to transfer to an even scruffier ship for the rest of our trip. Minoan don't do Camping on deck anymore and thankfully reliability has improved since then

As Geoff mentioned, I've compiled a google map of off grid spots that we and others have used over the years, you're more than welcome to use it. Its kept up to date regularly but please do send me any updates or amendments if you use any of the spots listed or find any new ones.

Have a great trip.

http://tinyurl.com/ya7uras

greece01_028[2].jpg greece01_132.jpg

Pete

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hi Geoff, we're both fine.

Unfortunately no Greece for us this year, so will have to content myself with reading about other folks travels. Hope you are both well.

Pete

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff, we're both fine.

Unfortunately no Greece for us this year, so will have to content myself with reading about other folks travels. Hope you are both well.

Pete

Pete

Yes we are fine thanks, having just survived family invasion for Easter, which to the Poles is more important than Christmas, although Good Friday is a normal working day - strange. Basia as daughter and Mother/Grandmother cops for doing the catering, but has decided that this is the last year. Even this year she cut down on some dishes. I do the preparation and roasting of the lamb joint.

While we are on-line, I think you have used most of the Italian ports. Is there much to see and do on the way from North Italy on the way down the East coast to Bari or Ancona, or is it just better to bite the money bullet and sail from Venice to Patras?

Maybe next year we could meet up in Greece - you seem to like the sort of places we like.

Geoff + Basia

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Hi all. Arrived Patras from Ancona on Monday evening. Docked 2 hours late, so a bit of a scramble to park up for the night. Ended up at the ferry parking by the Rio bridge. Blowing an absolute gale and squally rain showers. Woke to a grey dismal morning, van covered in Saharan sand! Cheered up a bit at the nearby Lidl. Still cannot say I'm feeling the love yet. Last night on quayside at Katakolo. More showers, more sand. Still windy and overcast. We did find cassette emptying and water though. In fact, a quayside hose that everyone used to wash their vans, so not al bad. Now moved down to Kalo Nero, right by the beach. So we're going anti clockwise.Wind still strong and gusty but warm and glimmers of sun. I'm sure things will pick up but, so far, everything seems very reminiscent of Morocco but without the charm! Everything scruffy, rubbish everywhere, crazy driving habits. Miles of 50/60kph limits and plenty of speed cameras but nobody seems to take any notice and squeezes past, even over double white lines (and yes @pjay I am remembering to straddle the white line at the edge of the road! Virtually off road at times!):D Right, off to find a taverna for a beer.

SOOZANDIAN

Free Member
Jun 7, 2015
ABERDEEN
Funster No
MH
Rimmer Ahorn
Exp
Since 2013
We arrived at Igoumenitsa 5.30am this morning & was surprised how easy the crossing went, always waiting for something to go wrong.
We have traveled to Lefkada at beautiful Kathisma beach & it’s gorgeous & sunny

We are heading to the Peloponnese in a couple of days & thank you @mousey for your thread & I have piggybacked your responses.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
We originally arrived at Patras on the 5th and started of going anti clockwise but the weather was rubbish so we headed back to Athens where the weather was better and then on to Crete for 10 days to give the weather here a chance to improve. We’re now back on the Peloponnese going clockwise and are currently at Gythio Beach in glorious 26 degree sunshine having come from Monemvassia yesterday following the Good Friday celebrations.
Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back