Pay for your ‘Wild Camping’ in Scotland…… (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
To be fair (or pedantic… ;) ), Scotland has never been a member of the EU - it was the ‘United Kingdom’ that was the member…..
The reason I‘ve highlighted this is because the SNP will insist that, when independent, Scotland will ‘rejoin’ the EU………:unsure:
To be honest you are not Scottish nor live in Scotland so what business is it of yours really what Scottish people want to do?

This unfortunately is a proven English mindset , to try and control /dictate what other nations should do and think.

Instead of sorting your own shit out.

The world would be a better place without the interference, history has shown this.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Because we are all part of the UK! Do we not get any say in our countries’ futures then….???

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
To be honest you are not Scottish nor live in Scotland so what business is it of yours really what Scottish people want to do?

This unfortunately is a proven English mindset , to try and control /dictate what other nations should do and think.

Instead of sorting your own shit out.

The world would be a better place without the interference, history has shown this.
Recent history!! Hasn't come to court yet, one thing Scotland has is some beautiful countryside, and some nice people why can't we all get on in this small Island, without out all this we are better than you mindset.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Because we are all part of the UK! Do we not get any say in our countries’ futures then….???
Yes and , of course , we are all equal within that union !
If England had decades of governments they hadn't voted for and were dictated to by Scotland (or Wales) you would , rightly , not be overly happy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Which is why they have devolved assemblies…..

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Yes and , of course , we are all equal within that union !
If England had decades of governments they hadn't voted for and were dictated to by Scotland (or Wales) you would , rightly , not be overly happy

Which is why they have devolved assemblies…..

Something ShiftZZ posted today -
Broken Link Removed
which is well worth a read as it gives some context to the discussion on this thread.

One of the key comments I think struck the nail right on the head -
+++++
He added that the “other nations need to be encouraged to feel like partners rather than small players”.
Unquote
+++++

The challenge is how can \ will this be achieved?:unsure:

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Saddened as I read this post. Not a lot of "respect".
I would have hoped that people do not invade any other person's space without consideration.
Comments on here reflect on the individual, good, bad and always biased.
I have and am part of family in the Highlands disgusted by the "tourists" using the countryside as their toilet, passing places as parking and driving like lunatics (sheep and wildlife RIP).
Most local people did not promote and are not involved in tourism. Respect the people and enjoy highland hospitality.
But, please this is a mutual common problem. Do not shift the blame.
May your future be good to you.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Saddened as I read this post. Not a lot of "respect".
I would have hoped that people do not invade any other person's space without consideration.
Comments on here reflect on the individual, good, bad and always biased.
I have and am part of family in the Highlands disgusted by the "tourists" using the countryside as their toilet, passing places as parking and driving like lunatics (sheep and wildlife RIP).
Most local people did not promote and are not involved in tourism. Respect the people and enjoy highland hospitality.
But, please this is a mutual common problem. Do not shift the blame.
May your future be good to you.
Yes I’ve seen first hand tourists using the remote Scottish countryside as “ Toilets”

It was time and again tourists in cars though, pull up in cars, nip up the hill with their toilet rolls.

It doesn’t sound as good though to not blame Motorhomers.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Yes I’ve seen first hand tourists using the remote Scottish countryside as “ Toilets”

It was time and again tourists in cars though, pull up in cars, nip up the hill with their toilet rolls.

It doesn’t sound as good though to not blame Motorhomers.
Hi. I've seen it and even down here on the Clyde coast. Motorhomers using an allotment beside the carpark rather than "in house", right next to a children's playground!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi. I've seen it and even down here on the Clyde coast. Motorhomers using an allotment beside the carpark rather than "in house", right next to a children's playground!
Yes I agree, however the point is you never seem to get threads on here, letters to the local paper, discussions in council meetings etc etc about people in cars with disgraceful behaviour, but as soon as a Motorhomer does something all hell breaks loose.

We live on the moors in the Pennines very remote, all the time it’s cars leaving rubbish, fag packets, cans, bottles, nappies, used bog rolls.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Yes I agree, however the point is you never seem to get threads on here, letters to the local paper, discussions in council meetings etc etc about people in cars with disgraceful behaviour, but as soon as a Motorhomer does something all hell breaks loose.

We live on the moors in the Pennines very remote, all the time it’s cars leaving rubbish, fag packets, cans, bottles, nappies, used bog rolls.
Yup, why do people come and leave in vehicles but don't take the rubbish away?
My blood boils when plenty on forums like this blame "others" without a wee nudge to better behaviour and some respect by all.
Never helps just to point a finger.
🥃👍

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yup, why do people come and leave in vehicles but don't take the rubbish away?
My blood boils when plenty on forums like this blame "others" without a wee nudge to better behaviour and some respect by all.
Never helps just to point a finger.
🥃👍
Exactly right, but you never see at council meetings, letters to the local paper, social media posts etc etc saying ban cars they leave a terrible mess.

But why do you get all those things about motorhomers?

Because you can never ban cars can you, and car drivers don’t provide an income for campsite owners.

We’ve lived here 25 years I can honestly say I’ve never seen a Motorhomer leave any mess, not to say it hasn’t happened but I’ve never seen it, however car drivers all the time do it.
Only last week a car driver pulled up and shovelled the big pile of rock salt from the side of the remote road into his car boot, cheeky bast___, by the time I got out there he had sped away.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think you are missing the point, they created the problem but aren't prepared to do anything about it.
I like to camp for free but like most of us we don't mind paying two or three quid to dump & fill with water or even a fiver to park he night without facilities, but not prepared to pay some of the rip off prices.

They encouraged thousands of Motorhomes to visit Scotland but didn't give any thought to whether the infrastructure could support it. As reported by someone else they have actually closed down loads of public loos when they should have been opening many more.
Spot-on!

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exactly right, but you never see at council meetings, letters to the local paper, social media posts etc etc saying ban cars they leave a terrible mess.

Because you can never ban cars can you, and car drivers don’t provide an income for campsite owners.

We’ve lived here 25 years I can honestly say I’ve never seen a Motorhomer leave any mess, not to say it hasn’t happened but I’ve never seen it, however car drivers all the time do it.
Only last week a car driver pulled up and shovelled the big pile of rock salt from the side of the remote road into his car boot, cheeky bast___, by the time I got out there he had sped away.
Yup. Hopefully a rusty boot and soggy shocks 😇.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Paul, you need to keep that shotgun loaded.

Maybe the salt will rot his boot.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Lenny and yourself a tad narrow minded and generalisation. "they" and "thousands" of motorhomers missed me on the invite!
Respect please.
I seem to recall a fairly significant marketing campaign to promote the NC500 in circa 2016, presumably by a Scottish tourist board (the ‘they’?) or similar, likely then repeated in/by various media publications. It’s how we first heard of it down here.

That’s exactly why we went in June of the same year, staying at a combination of both formal campsites and more informal spots. Didn’t use the woods as a toilet, didn’t park in a passing place, didn’t drive like lunatics and avoided colliding with the locals and animals, wild, farmed or other.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
When people say we (the Highlander) created the problem, actually we didn't. It was a marketing job. Now we get these celebrities coming here promoting the place to make a TV programme and others jumping on the bandwagon writing tourism books.
For me and lots of others up here, we can do without it all.
Imagine if this same thing happened in say Cornwall?? Would you all be whining about the Cornish ??

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When people say we (the Highlander) created the problem, actually we didn't. It was a marketing job. Now we get these celebrities coming here promoting the place to make a TV programme and others jumping on the bandwagon writing tourism books.
For me and lots of others up here, we can do without it all.
Imagine if this same thing happened in say Cornwall?? Would you all be whining about the Cornish ??
To he honest all the brits who happen to live in tourist areas are greeting faces.

Same with the expats who move abroad and then whine lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back