Parking, was I wrong? (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
On the M6 today in the Moho going to London. Decided we needed to stop for 10 minutes for a break after a few hours driving. Pulled in to find the caravan spaces all full, with caravans for a change. The parking was maybe two thirds full, so having already passed the truck parking I thought I would try and find some space to park sideways. Found a spot with around 8 spaces, finishing at the end of a row. So I pulled in leaving one bay clear in front of me so I had room to pull out at the end of the row, in case people parked at the back of me. A couple of minutes later a car pulled into the spot in front of me blocking my way out. In the meantime a car had parked behind leaving one empty space between us. It seemed a bit deliberate from the chap at the front, especially as the car park had a lot of empty spaces. So contrary to my nature, I knocked on. To cut a long and sometimes heated conversation short, he had a new car, didn’t know how it worked, didn’t want to park where it might get scratched, and yes he’d parked there deliberately because I shouldn’t park like that etc. Anyhow I had just enough room to manoeuvre out. Despite my laid back nature I really wanted to punch him in the face. Right or wrong?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
He was probably annoyed to find the car spaces taken, just like you were with the caravan ones.

Life is too short to get angry over parking spaces IMHO.

You could get out, he made his point, win win. 😁

OP
OP
Barryh
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
But the car park was a third empty. He could have parked anywhere, I couldn’t. Normally I would agree life is too short.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
But the car park was a third empty. He could have parked anywhere, I couldn’t. Normally I would agree life is too short.
Don’t get me wrong, on the asshole scale, he scored so high he should have been on a starlink satellite.

I used to get enraged if someone pushed in front of me in the car, my anger would last hours at times. I then realised if I let them in and stopped worrying, I wasn’t angry and in the traffic round here, it didn’t matter a jot.

I now feel much better.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yeah, he was being a knob. But you've also got to consider that you're effectively an entitled vehicle owner that parks across multiple spaces. If there's no room where you're supposed to park, should you just park it anywhere? Yes, I've done it too. I've only ever had dirty looks though. I think I'd just take his verbals and walk away.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I’d have told him that I’d struggle to get out of my space because of where he parked & id be likely to damage his car on the way so LEAVE IT THERE AT YOUR IWN RISK
1715899497148.png

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Who's gonna give themselves high blood pressure if not far worse, from stress over this incident - not the other pillock, mate. Life's too short to get regularly upset with such people - so just stop letting them get to you.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
In cases like that, especially in supermarket car parks, I park as far from the store as possible and always leave half a space in front to get out of or park at an angle, front end furthest forward, back end at the back of the parking area. Another way is to park with the rear end over a grass verge, but again I would straddle two parking spaces to give me chance to manoeuvre.
If there are no suitable parking spots, I concede defeat and move on ....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have been in this road rage thing before now, but I have come round to the thinking, you are there , he is there both doing your own thing, just chill.
Same with loads of things people get worked up about on here, folks parking next to you on an empty aire, someone letting grey water out , folks parking on laybys, folks parking on sites, people using site showers when they have a perfectly good one in the van and all sorts of stuff that doesn't matter one jot, you might not like it but just as easily the other bloke is on holiday same as you doing what they want same as you.
Life is just too short.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
I have been in this road rage thing before now, but I have come round to the thinking, you are there , he is there both doing your own thing, just chill.
Same with loads of things people get worked up about on here, folks parking next to you on an empty aire, someone letting grey water out , folks parking on laybys, folks parking on sites, people using site showers when they have a perfectly good one in the van and all sorts of stuff that doesn't matter one jot, you might not like it but just as easily the other bloke is on holiday same as you doing what they want same as you.
Life is just too short.
exactly..

getting wound up about what others do or don't do is pointless,...as my signature line..

don't sweat the small suff, it's all small stuff..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I owned an 11m van for a few years and often towed a trailer, that could be fun at a busy supermarket.

You dismiss it now, but one day, many of you will make the transition to 6m and be able to go care-free camping again as well visit supermarket car parks at the busiest time of day. :D

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My van is 6m, or 7 with the scooter rack. Car parks not usually a problem because it's no wider than a panel van 👌 and the scooter rack can sometimes overhang the edge. Wouldn't go any bigger, it's the perfect size 😎

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My van is 6m, or 7 with the scooter rack. Car parks not usually a problem because it's no wider than a panel van 👌 and the scooter rack can sometimes overhang the edge. Wouldn't go any bigger, it's the perfect size 😎
We had a 5.4m Ducato. It was pretty cosy inside. We called it the crampervan. But it could be parked into a standard supermarket space in amongst the cars near the door... As long as the cars either side were smaller (although more fur their sake than ours, sliding doors mean easy access). Parallel parking on-street where you had to park between the lines was easy. I even got it into an underground car park in a city centre once because the entry level had a 2.6m restriction. There are SUVs that are pretty much the same size as a L2H2 Ducato, so it could be treated like a big car. I miss that flexibility.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Sorry to go against the flow here but a large Motorhome parking sideways along 8 parking spaces just smacks of ‘Entitled Motorhomer’ who doesn’t care about anyone else. Other users of the car park don’t know that you are only going to be there for 10 minutes, just consider how it looks.
On Most Motorway services there will be space at the side of the Petrol station just to stop quickly.
I have to admit I get hot under the collar when I see this on any carpark, also too, cars parking in the caravan/Motorhome bays, ‘entitled drivers’ thinking that their vehicles are more precious than others.
So to answer your title I think Yes 🥴

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Do you honestly think car drivers who’ve never driven a Motorhome give a thought to Motorhome drivers who park in what they will see as an inconsiderate way other than to be annoyed.

There’s a tiny bit of me that’s wondering if he really meant he parked there on purpose after saying he parked there to avoid being hit. I think he was winding you up after you got in his face. The last place he’d park his brand new car is close to a huge van that was going to struggle to get out if he’d thought about it.

You can tell I’m bored sitting in Newbury car park waiting for the show to open. We were the first ones here!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What I don't get about this actual thread is , when you say there was plenty room in the park , why did you park across say 4 places when you could have parked along two in the middle of the park so you could have come out into the road as normal?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We had a 5.4m Ducato. It was pretty cosy inside. We called it the crampervan
Yes a lot are cramped inside but we chose the bench seats and with turning front seats there's plenty of room inside. Unlike rear lounge vans 🙄😏

OP
OP
Barryh
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
There’s a tiny bit of me that’s wondering if he really meant he parked there on purpose after saying he parked there to avoid being hit. I think he was winding you up after you got in his face. The last place he’d park his brand new car is close to a huge van that was going to struggle to get out if he’d thought about it.
I’m the most mild mannered of men. I’ve not hit anyone since a school punch up when I was about 13. I was polite when I knocked on, told him I wouldn’t be able to get out, but his first words were that he’d done it deliberately, the rest followed. He was arrogant with it. I didn’t threaten him or “get in his face.” Another person might well have actually punched him.

OP
OP
Barryh
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
What I don't get about this actual thread is , when you say there was plenty room in the park , why did you park across say 4 places when you could have parked along two in the middle of the park so you could have come out into the road as normal?
Because there weren’t any drive though bays available. It was mostly single bays with pavement.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Bit like road rage. My last Speed Awareness course instructor said to not engage in these situations. You do not know the other drivers mind set, is he getting away from robbing a bank, is he a mentally deranged axe murderer? You just don't know.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Agreed. Why cause issues by parking across several car spaces when you could park up in just 2 that are end to end and be able to drive out.I think I would have blocked you in similarly if you had been a car doing that also . (y)

OP
OP
Barryh
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Agreed. Why cause issues by parking across several car spaces when you could park up in just 2 that are end to end and be able to drive out.I think I would have blocked you in similarly if you had been a car doing that also . (y)
See post 24.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back