Apr 19, 2017
Newark
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coach built
Exp
Since 1993
Hi guys,
I agree with so many of your comments, and as an ex HGV driver of many years standing I have to say this. When I started in the industry there were many transport cafes with toilets, showers, accommodation, parking etc.
But then came sleeper cabs, and drivers could then park and sleep in company yards, customers yards ie superstores.
So transport cafes etc declined rapidly, also companies refused to compensate drivers to park overnight. As the costs escalated to £20/25 (services) pounds a night you can begin to appreciate why, from the employer and employee point of view.
Ok I've never used lay buys from a safety point of view, also as a car transporter driver with extremely high value load the company would not allow this.
You also have to factor in the high numbers of European drivers who have far better facilities for free in europe, and eastern block drivers who are paid a pittance in comparison, and who get zero expenses for parking, and minimal for everything else.
The answer, to be honest I'm not sure there is one. Because the NHS, Social services, etc need support desperately, as do the individuals who rely on them.
But there is a different attitude to transport in europe, in that it's treated as a profession, and supported as such. It doesn't matter what you want to buy, it was delivered by a truck, maybe many times over.
I think we are not of the same mindset in the UK, and don't appreciate what goes on behind the scenes to put the basics into our homes.
Lastly I think anyone who has to pee in a bottle, and then cannot empty it in a drain and dispose of it responsibly should be ashamed to consider themselves as a professional anything. That said French aires at this time of year smell like a urinal.
Hopefully this may enlighten some of you, and I don't mean to be offensive to anyone, as I said at the beginning I agree with so many of you. I wish I could come up with a solution for truck drivers, and those of us that cannot understand why we cannot park in out of the way places legally.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think basically haulage and shipping rates are to low,,,Thats the reason Heinz,can produce HP sauce in Holland when 90% of their sales are in UK,,same with Daddies,,produced in Poland,,,Empty aerosols are produced in Poland to be transported to Spain for filling,,,,Cannot be good for the environment,,,,,and because Haulage rates are so low the driver is the one who suffers the most,,,plus no proper amenities ,,,,BUSBY.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If truck drivers were given £100/nt to pay for parking & accommodation, how many would pocket the expenses and still park in layby & p*as in the bushes... ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If truck drivers were given £100/nt to pay for parking & accommodation, how many would pocket the expenses and still park in layby & p*as in the bushes... ?
Yes but they don't get anywhere near £100.00 a night. It tends to be between £18 and around £26.00

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes but they don't get anywhere near £100.00 a night. It tends to be between £18 and around £26.00
Half the night out allowance is taxed because of sleeper cab,,,,BUSBY,,

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I believe £18.00.
Anything over taxed at 20%

Deleted User
How much does the average businessman or salesman claim on 'expenses' when having a 'night out', as this amount is set against company expenses is it not totally tax free?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Many years ago when working in Toronto, I had to muddle along on £50 per day ;)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Must admit never have and never will sleep in a truck in a lay-by for £18 a night or any other amount

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When ever I moan I am always told we all have choices. They don’t pay enough for me to be in it during the day let alone night as well.

Deleted User
When ever I moan I am always told we all have choices. They don’t pay enough for me to be in it during the day let alone night as well.
Everybody has choices which lead to decisions and decisions have consequences that more often than not influence those decisions.
You are lucky that you have the choice to make a decision and ignore the consequences.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Everybody has choices which lead to decisions and decisions have consequences that more often than not influence those decisions.
You are lucky that you have the choice to make a decision and ignore the consequences.
I tried to follow that but got lost

Deleted User
I tried to follow that but got lost

Let me simplify by using an example of a position many truck drivers may find themselves in.

Truck driver has a job in an area with little demand for truck drivers, mortgage, kids etc......asked to do night out that may result parking in a lay bye or industrial estate.

The decision may be to refuse and face the sack with consequences leading to loss of house etc or take the load and spend an uncomfortable night in the cab, what would you do?

I say again if you can make that decision and ignore the consequences then you are indeed lucky.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Let me simplify by using an example of a position many truck drivers may find themselves in.

Truck driver has a job in an area with little demand for truck drivers, mortgage, kids etc.....
Truck driver should have bought a house in an area with demand for drivers. Bad planning otherwise.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Truck driver should have bought a house in an area with demand for drivers. Bad planning otherwise.
How is that a choice? You live in the area of your choice along with Swmbo etc and the Swmbo might have the right job for her but it may be in an area with low demand for truckers

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
How is that a choice? You live in the area of your choice along with Swmbo etc and the Swmbo might have the right job for her but it may be in an area with low demand for truckers
It's their choice, so their problem.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
A bit harsh, companies do close and move. When they shut pits or steel works was it bad planning buying a house there earlier when they was working full time.
Plenty of folk retrained and doing OK. You can't sit still and moan about your lot.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It's their choice, so their problem.
dbb4ef83e9a509f651074131a004e7ab.jpg

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Plenty of folk retrained and doing OK. You can't sit still and moan about your lot.
Yes , or in business it’s called investment and a pay back and profit is required on investment or does that only apply if you’re the boss.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yes , or in business it’s called investment and a pay back and profit is required on investment or does that only apply if you’re the boss.
Were you agreeing or arguing ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back