May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We use our Mh all year.
Over the last four winters (owned Mhs for four years) we have noticed that mhs outnumber caravans.
Sat here at Chester fairoaks and a quick count would suggest mhs are around 5-1.
The caravans that are here all have awnings so my guess is that they are staying longer than the weekend.
Now my question is.....
Would sites close down through the winter months if it wasnt for mhs.
26 mhs.
6 caravans

Edit 5 caravans 1 has just left ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting survey you have started, and yes on this small sample it would suggest that MoHo's are propping up the site, it will be interesting to see numbers in the summer months as I think that there will be a lot more caravans out then.

Keep up the good work.

Martin

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting survey you have started, and yes on this small sample it would suggest that MoHo's are propping up the site, it will be interesting to see numbers in the summer months as I think that there will be a lot more caravans out then.

Keep up the good work.

Martin
Just a bit of boredom walking back from the shower block ?
We were here in summer and yes the caravans outnumber mhs on this site anyway.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We have just changed to a caravan after years of motorhoming and I think even is summer there are more motorhomes than caravans these days. I wonder if the B1 licence is having an effect.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have noticed on the CMC sites during winter thete seem to be more MH too.
We wondered if caravans are often stored over winter for longer.
We like to keep ours on the move all year when possible!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Caravans tend to be too cold to be used in winter. We have both caravan and MH but definitely only use the MH in winter.

Denise
I was going to write similar for the reasons for different use summer/winter for MH/caravans

I went on to think why, and surmise it is weight. I suppose there are caravans with good insulation and other winter requirements like good heating - do any caravans have Alde 'wet' heating? I suspect not, for reason of weight of radiators and fluid. If they have all this they would probably be 2-axle and need a substantial towing vehicle. At which point one is back to a MH being preferable, except to unhitch the large towing vehicle, and parking that in town may not be easy compared with getting the scooter out of the MH garage.

It looks like sites will welcome MHs.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Britain has still not got wise to the Motorhomer’s use of their vehicles during the winter, so sites close down.

We are forever on the lookout for sites open in winter but it is not easy to find them if you want to tour. If you wish to travel there, stay and look around the area, like a caravanners typical profile then OK.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I would say there were more c/vans than m/homes at Chester Fairoaks over the New Year when we were there. About 50/50 at Cromer over the Christmas period.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I went on to think why, and surmise it is weight. I suppose there are caravans with good insulation and other winter requirements like good heating - do any caravans have Alde 'wet' heating? I suspect not, for reason of weight of radiators and fluid. If they have all this they would probably be 2-axle and need a substantial towing vehicle. At which point one is back to a MH being preferable, except to unhitch the large towing vehicle, and parking that in town may not be easy compared with getting the scooter out of the MH garage.
Lots of single-axle caravans have Alde heating, and those without are just as warm as a motorhome - we´ve been out in -5C and were warm and cosy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Caravans can be just as warm as motorhomes in Winter, except that they cannot keep their awnings warm at that time of year. What caravaners really dislike is the regular fetching and disposal of water in inclement conditions. I guess that sites close because they make big losses on electricity consumption over Winter.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Whats a B1?

B licence is either a B (car + light trailer) or B+E (car + heavy trailer)

Apologies, but still irrelevant.
B1 = 4 wheel vehicle up to 400kg (quad)
I may well have got the number wrong, I get a lot of things wrong these days, but you know what I mean. A modern licence allows a mo who under 3.5 tons but only a very small caravan

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I wish the CAMC would take more notice & make the club more MH friendly - from how you park on a pitch to letting you dump & refill.

Adding the word 'motorhome' to their name doesn't actually mean anything.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We were at the C&CC camping in the forest site Bracelands in the Forest of Dean last October half term,
Nearly all of the hard standing pitches had motorhomes on them, there were a few caravans and even some brave campers in tents, it wasn’t a very dry week to say the least.

We don’t just use ours to camp in it’s very good as a mobile changing room for the beech or when we go mountain biking or kayaking, so it gets used a lot more than a caravan would, and for more of the year.
The other thing is storage you can park a motorhome on the road as it’s taxed if you can’t get it on the drive.
So I would guess more of us use it more of the year as it’s at our home addresses?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have noticed on the CMC sites during winter thete seem to be more MH too.
We were on a number of C&MC sites from North of Scotland to Cornwall last year and with only one or two exceptions motorhomes were in the majority.
We also saw 5 new drive over motorhome dump points being installed all by the same gang of guys!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I was going to write similar for the reasons for different use summer/winter for MH/caravans

It looks like sites will welcome MHs.
I have Alde heating in our single axle caravan as well as the option to use the onboard fresh water tank in sub zero conditions in fact its as warm if not warmer as our Pilote Motorhome .
If I had to choose which to keep it would most certainly be the caravan , more space , easily towed with a family sized car , easily maneuvered onto a pitch with the automatic engage motormover and we can easily camp of grid with a 150 watt solar panel and 120amp leisure battery

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I wish the CAMC would take more notice & make the club more MH friendly - from how you park on a pitch to letting you dump & refill.

Adding the word 'motorhome' to their name doesn't actually mean anything.

they are a bargain in winter though for solos

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I notice more MHs on the road but the nature of MHs is they move on more often so that is to be expected. We had a toasty warm New Year in our caravan at Wild Rose one year ... it was great!

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I would say there were more c/vans than m/homes at Chester Fairoaks over the New Year when we were there. About 50/50 at Cromer over the Christmas period.
CROMER! over CHRISTMAS?!!!
inna fecking FIELD!
Cromer iz feckinFreezin in AUGUST!!!
A better man than I Gunga Din...
RESPECT! ?

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
In 2016 I was found to have a tumour in an eye socket next to my eye, following an operation to remove it and then a visit to the surgeon to discuss the situation, I was told that due to the difficulty in removing the tumour that the biopsi of it revealed that all of mass had not been retrieved and that I would have to have treatment to try to dissipate the escaped bits.
Having had time to work out a future regarding our leisure/holidaying time we decided that we would buy a caravan to put on a seasonal pitch in the New Forest and a VW camper to tow it with.
We bought a new Coachman VIP 675 ( twin bed ) a fairly new VW T5 ( 180 bhp ) the wife could drive this if I got to the point of not being able to drive myself.
The time of the year was November so we started to use the combination in all sorts of weather and found that it was more comfortable than our Swift Bolero 722 FB ,( we still had our Bolero ) both had Alde heating so a good comparison. Unfortunately the VW did not like the caravan ( towing ) and the caravan did not like the VW, so, we said let’s buy a bigger camper van to tow it with. The wife tried a Swift Rythm and was happy to drive it, we then started to look around at what was available.
We paid a visit to Highbridge as they have a tremendous selection of vans but they could not make up their minds what to give for our VW in p/ex. Next, a mile down the road to West Country M/homes where we liked the layout and build of an Auto Trail V Line 610 ( 5.99 mars ) a super trade in price on the VW saw us collecting the V Line a few weeks later.
We used the new van for a trip to North Wales and both agreed, we do’nt need the caravan. For a start the caravan needed watering and no waste tanks, unhitching, winding down legs, motor moving, all to much hassle after 25 years of motorhoming.
Several months had gone by and the effect of treatment was beginning to look good, the Bolero has been sold the caravan had found a new home.
Not really knowing what the future holds for me, I suggested to my wife I wish we had bought the 635 V Line it would give us just that bit more room, it will not be any different to drive than the 610 and I know you do not want to drive a coach built van when I’m not able to.
It did not take any persuasion and she said let’s do it.
Well, we used the 635 all of last year in all kinds of weather, through the winter, including being snowed in at the C & CC site in Oxford. On really cold weather we do put on the screen cover, however, the van is a little smaller than maybe some motor homes but the Truma blown air heating is as good as any we have used.
The only thing I would say is that over the years the Alde heating we’ve had has taken a long time to heat up the m/ home and is expensive to change the fluid where’as the Truma blown air is nearly instant if you kick it off on gas.
And the good news is the remains of my tumour has been dealt with, unpleasant treatment yes, but the NHS has in my view a FIVE STAR rating.
Sorry about my protracted ramblings but just my pennies/cents worth on caravanning/motorhoming/ PSV ? heating, oh, I du’nno what was the subject ?

BernieT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back