Our New Morelo Palace Liner, some early pics re-route home (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We are normally in a 'rush' across Germany and do not have time to stop at the up-market showrooms - saves a fortune.

Although we were at N&B Polch for a window re-seal and I did sit down with Jurgen to discuss an Arto with an island bed. Ony to order, but he could re-configure a demo or second-hand layout. The best news was that he would take our RHD Arto in PX, at about the right price, which he had refused before. That would make timing of waiting for new easier, especially trying to sell a RHD in Europe or shipping back to UK from Poland, then deciding how to sell.

I am a bit concerned for the N&B UK Owners forum as another member has defected to Morelo. I might have to do the same to keep up with the 'Good guys' but to spend that money I would have to do a lot of technical homework to be ahead of the sales team.

Geoff

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We are normally in a 'rush' across Germany and do not have time to stop at the up-market showrooms - saves a fortune.

Although we were at N&B Polch for a window re-seal and I did sit down with Jurgen to discuss an Arto with an island bed. Ony to order, but he could re-configure a demo or second-hand layout. The best news was that he would take our RHD Arto in PX, at about the right price, which he had refused before. That would make timing of waiting for new easier, especially trying to sell a RHD in Europe or shipping back to UK from Poland, then deciding how to sell.

I am a bit concerned for the N&B UK Owners forum as another member has defected to Morelo. I might have to do the same to keep up with the 'Good guys' but to spend that money I would have to do a lot of technical homework to be ahead of the sales team.

Geoff
Hi Geoff,
I don't quite feel like a defector? I have lot of respect for NiBi, they were excellent with me. That said I had a hankering to get at least one slide out back after the 4 we had on the Yankee. Equally I did not want to exceed the length of our Flair at 9.24. Morelo had just that at 9.19.
It is my opinion that NiBi need a fresh approach to their internal layouts, finish and style to match the external one if I am to be critical. Morelo do have a significant advantage in this regard.
In the final analysis for me it was not a choice of Morelo having a better van just a layout that worked for us, which could not be matched by NiBi or even Concorde, the latter only offering slide outs on 11m floor plans, the former not at all but then they only work with chassis <7.49.
Michael

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Would you mind telling me what washing machine that is?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Retiresoon

Free Member
Dec 8, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I800 sold
Exp
6 years
Hi Michael

Firstly, thank you so much for sharing all of the information about your new Morelo Palace 88. It is beautiful and I hope you have lots of fun exploring the world in your apartment on wheels!

I have just sold our 8.3 metre Frankia I800 good that we had for 6 years to ready myself for 2 self builds over the coming years.

I am planning for retirement when these jobs are completed and looked at "The World" for an apartment on a boat and also Aspen Power Catamarans, but my better half does not do well with seasickness, so I have ruled out a life on the waves :(

So back to Motorhomes and planning which one would best provide for our retirement. Your requirements are very similar to ours and here are my observations:

1) Costs to travel (MPG) & Low Emission Zones - We always spent a large proportion of the cost of our holidays on fuel (30p per mile) and I also worried that my Euro III diesel (2.8 JTD) engine would not be allowed in many places in a few years time. So a big requirement from me is to have an engine that is as future proofed as possible. I want to keep the Motorhome for 30 years so this is the number 1 requirement. I recently converted 2 new 1.0 litre Skoda Fabia's to LPG for the family and we are getting 45 MPG with a fuel cost of 55-65p per litre (7p per mile). The amazing news is that IVECO have a CNG chassis cab so we just have to wait until Morelo start building with it and that covers both emissions and cost per mile in one go (and then for the re-fueling stations to be a little more widespread in the UK).

2) Your solution for the air conditioning into the inverter is absolutely genuis. Being on a low amperage hook up and being able to keep the vehicle cool in the summer or warm in the winter whilst still using the other appliances is a major benefit. I also love your points about being able to use just the fans to keep the air moving in the vehicle. Great to keep the air quality in the vehicle as good as possible. Thank you for sharing and for fighting with Morelo on this. If I go ahead I will replicate your great advice :)

3) The washing machine set up is great and using 25 litres per wash makes it very useable and helpful for long treks. It is better then having it in the garage and no more trying to find launderettes in Switzerland which can be a painfully expensive experience.

4) Using streaming in place of satellite is also a great idea - much better to save on the E6K and plug in a laptop to the TV. Much easier and no expensive moving parts to break.

5) The Slide Out is also a major requirement for us. I did the same research as you and thought the only solution was the Concorde Centurion, so to have the Morelo option on a smaller vehicle with Iveco chassis is perfect. I think it is the single biggest thing to make the inside feel more like an apartment with lots of space and I would also select the bar version as we never ever used the side sofa in our Frankia.

6) The Garage - I do not want to have a car below the bed so we will hire cars or use taxis and buses when on site but DO want to have a place to put all the toys. Bikes, kayaks, maybe a jet ski, lots of storage, etc... Please share any photos of your finished solution for the bikes and storage :)

7) Using the external masticator and 25 metre piping is another great solution for when you are not able to park next to a black water drain. I have certainly had enough of pulling 2 full cartridges on a trolley up hills. Getting the black waste tank at 300 litres, and adding the pump for flush and additional grey waste storage is excellent. Any details on the masticator pump you use would be very much appreciated.

8) We will go for the island bed at the back as we had 6 years climbing up to the drop down bed in the front. We will add the drop down bed to the front for occasional use by our children. I am not sure if it will be possible to put a 3rd double bed in, if both children have partners in the future, but will see if we can do something with the L-shaped Sofa. This may be a step too far!

9) Love the ability to have 5 belted seats in the bar set up. With 2 children this gives us the ability to take 1 of the children's partners as they get older. If I don't like one of them it gives me a great excuse why they cannot come ;)

10) I want the internal environment to be as healthy as possible. Great that it has hot water heating throughout the vehicle (not Electric cabling) and another great benefit is the Faraday cage. This has some great Radio Frequency benefits (unless you are streaming TV at night with the blinds down!) as well as lightening protection. I will get my mattresses from Cotton Safe in Devon as they have no fire retardants in them. Replacing the cushions in the living area will be more challenging and maybe the only solution would be with organic Latex. I think asking Morelo to swap the vinyl for linoleum, again may be a step too far and having good air circulation that you mentioned earlier is a good solution to reduce the density of VOC's in the air.

So you have helped me to find my perfect retirement purchase with 20 pence per mile running costs and all the mod cons I could ever want. 100 days/nights per year for 30 years = 100 pounds per night for a luxury apartment with the most amazing views - That sounds like good value to me and better then a Travelodge :)

All I have to do now is convince the other half that spending the same amount as a house on a motorhome is a good idea! Wish me luck!

All the best,

Simon

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Simon, its always encouraging to have spirited support for ones ideas and theories, so thank you.

On the subject of maceraters (love your masticators conjures some ghastly images) there are several threads where I have contributed here for example. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/black-waste-disposal.123823/#post-1725222

The flooring in the Morelo is in my opinion very good, it is soft foam backed and indeed comfortable to walk on in bare feet. As with the Flair we chose not to cover it with carpet which enables easy cleaning although it loses some of the homely feel that carpet gives.

As to A Morelo, or a suite on The World, or a Nordhavn I have to say that I don't have the income to support the maintenance of the suite or the Nordhavn as much as I would like either.

Good luck in your projects.

Michael

Retiresoon

Free Member
Dec 8, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I800 sold
Exp
6 years
Hi Michael,

It is such a relief to hear that you don't have to chew the waste before it goes through the macerator ;) Oooppps! Thank you for sending over the link.

Good news on the floor - much easier to look after then carpet. The vinyl in the Frankia was solid so the soft foam sounds much more comfy to walk on.

I certainly do not have the income to keep a suite on The World but I did find a cheap way of getting access, through a luxury holiday company that bought 4 suites which meant access for a joining fee of $80K and then $1K per night but still very expensive!

Thanks,

Simon

Retiresoon

Free Member
Dec 8, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I800 sold
Exp
6 years
Exclusive of food but it is a suite so would be able to take 8 people which changes the cost and only likely to get access for maybe a month a year so $30,000 for 8 people = $3,750 each for a month which is very cheap compared to what it costs to buy even a studio apartment.

Retiresoon

Free Member
Dec 8, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I800 sold
Exp
6 years
Just checked and they are only 2 bedroom suites so would take 4 people so would work out at around $10K per person per month!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Simply stunning! More than that, Michael has created something completely to his own spec and should be congratulated for doing such an amazing job; I especially like the separate toilet and the glass door and door furniture are lovely. I suspect Morelo might start to produce more like this in the future (if they're smart that is).

Some questions:

1. Is the engine break an exhaust brake system or electric (Telma)?
2. What brand is the washer and what load does it take?
3. What are submarine flaps (are they locker doors)?

I fitted one of these in our first motorhome

(Well an older model)

Retiresoon

Free Member
Dec 8, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I800 sold
Exp
6 years
Thanks for sharing - the 4kg load capacity is good - maybe even a duvet?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I fitted one of these in our first motorhome

(Well an older model)
We had one of those in our Flair, I found the one we have in the Morelo is smaller in all dimensions. The Candy whilst having a 4kg load this was only with the longer wash time and significantly greater water consumption so my wife used the 2kg wash and we got much shorter wash times and lower water consumption but not as low as the Euronova. It offers the 2kg load with a 25 litre consumption. So that was the thinking. Nevertheless the Candy is a good machine and I would install one.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
6) The Garage - I do not want to have a car below the bed so we will hire cars or use taxis and buses when on site but DO want to have a place to put all the toys. Bikes, kayaks, maybe a jet ski, lots of storage, etc... Please share any photos of your finished solution for the bikes and storage :)

Simon, Here are some pictures, bit messy I am afraid.

Michael
20191211_112311.jpg

20191211_112322.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back