Jan 18, 2022
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana K60
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,

First post and first motorhome for me. I'm due to pick up a Hobby Vanata K60 next week, and I'm starting to look around for a few quotes for insurance.

I'll need to park the van on the street as I don't have a driveway big enough to take it at the minute, and I've had a few insurers refuse to insure it on the street, both Comfort and Caravanguard have said no.

Does anyone currently park theirs on-street, and could you recommend an insurer that allows it?

Thanks,
Graeme.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Try AIB. I don't know but they seem ok to deal with. Having said that there is a thread running about some who are not happy with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

taylor354

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana K60
Exp
I'm a newbie
Try AIB. I don't know but they seem ok to deal with. Having said that there is a thread running about some who are not happy with them.
Thanks. I have put in a quote request to them, so we'll see what they say. I do have a fairly decent quote from Adrian Flex, but reading some threads here, there seems to be some concerns dealing with AF when it comes to any claims.

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Nfu mutual for me, a bit more expensive but when i claimed on home insurance they payed in one week no problem

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Try Lifesure used to be MCIA (motor caravan ins agency). Although they now Insure everything? They still specialize in moho's and are a brokers so have lots of companies on their books
Been with them for years, car and moho and never had any issues including 2 claims over the years....
Oh and Welcome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Go on Asda Money comparison site and put in the info and see what comes up:

Broken Link Removed

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hello,

First post and first motorhome for me. I'm due to pick up a Hobby Vanata K60 next week, and I'm starting to look around for a few quotes for insurance.

I'll need to park the van on the street as I don't have a driveway big enough to take it at the minute, and I've had a few insurers refuse to insure it on the street, both Comfort and Caravanguard have said no.

Does anyone currently park theirs on-street, and could you recommend an insurer that allows it?

Thanks,
Graeme.

AIB we’re one of only a couple of companies that would give me a quote on our new van.

Although we are not physically parked on the street, it’s parked on the access to my property but I don’t own the land it sits on. Therefore, I can only say it’s parked on the street. 🤷‍♂️

D6CF507E-4193-43D2-A057-79BFCABBD7A5.jpeg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Adrian flux cover ours parked on the road and were also cheaper than many.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Welcome to Fun Graeme.
Thats a nice looking PVC you have there, Happy Travels in her.(y)
We have been with Comfort for 4 years now, and yes they are fussy about where the van is parked, and also that its not left unattended for more than 48 hours, I guess most of the usual big guys like SafeGuard are the same.

If you are a member of the Caravan & Motorhome Club, or The Caravan & Camping Club, you could give them a call and ask if they can offer you cover for on street parking. You could also try using an independent insurance broker like A Plan Insurance or similar they will probably find you suitable cover as they have the entire market to research for you.

You will probably need a decent Cat1 alarm, maybe an active fully monitored tracker also, it depends on value of the MH.
You can check out additional van security things like extra door locks, steering wheel & foot pedal locks, plus the best of all The DIY fitted Patriot Disklock Padlock, which when fitted holds your driving seat fixed in the rear facing direction.(y)

I have to say though, if it was me, I would check out every other option of parking my 60K plus van investment on the road, it wont take long to be noticed by all passing bye, and is an easier target to steal or be damaged by those that are jealous. That's why the big names dont want to take it on risk, but I guess you know that. I would be checking out all local storage facilities, if you haven't already, especially those that are CASSOA Registered, it may cost you circa £400 a year, but at least you can sleep better at night.

Let us know how you get on, good luck, and best wishes to you.
LES

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Don't think that is Grahams.. is it not Sapper520 s moho.
Graeme was the new member OP of this thread, & I looked up what a Hobby Vanata K60 Van looked like as I have never heard of it.
It does look like a nice van though, Sapper520 van is the Sunlight shown in the picture above.
LES

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
TinaL. Just shows how easy it is to get mixed up on some of these threads.... I thought you referring to the photo.....PLEASE except my sincere apologies.👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

taylor354

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana K60
Exp
I'm a newbie
Graeme was the new member OP of this thread, & I looked up what a Hobby Vanata K60 Van looked like as I have never heard of it.
It does look like a nice van though, Sapper520 van is the Sunlight shown in the picture above.
LES
This is my van, or will be come next Friday.
D15CC5BC-4C74-4A7E-A1E8-C8824703C66C.jpeg

Irony is we’ll only need to park it on street for a few months until our new house is built with a drive that will take the van. I have started to look at a whole range of security devices, but it will be getting a Metatrak S5 deadlock system installed the day after collection.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is my van, or will be come next Friday.
View attachment 576539
Irony is we’ll only need to park it on street for a few months until our new house is built with a drive that will take the van. I have started to look at a whole range of security devices, but it will be getting a Metatrak S5 deadlock system installed the day after collection.
If the only way to get it insured parked on the road is to pay twice as much you could cancel once you have your drive sorted but do check the T&C regards to canceling the policy as they can vary a lot between companies.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
AIB we’re one of only a couple of companies that would give me a quote on our new van.

Although we are not physically parked on the street, it’s parked on the access to my property but I don’t own the land it sits on. Therefore, I can only say it’s parked on the street. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 576521
Access to your property? Is that code for parked on the pavement?

Various police forces round the country and cracking down on vehicles parked blocking pavements. Just saying, because I have to keep the nearside wheels of my car on the pavement, like all my neighbours due to the narrow width of the road.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Welcome to Fun Graeme.
Thats a nice looking PVC you have there, Happy Travels in her.(y)
We have been with Comfort for 4 years now, and yes they are fussy about where the van is parked, and also that its not left unattended for more than 48 hours, I guess most of the usual big guys like SafeGuard are the same.

If you are a member of the Caravan & Motorhome Club, or The Caravan & Camping Club, you could give them a call and ask if they can offer you cover for on street parking. You could also try using an independent insurance broker like A Plan Insurance or similar they will probably find you suitable cover as they have the entire market to research for you.

You will probably need a decent Cat1 alarm, maybe an active fully monitored tracker also, it depends on value of the MH.
You can check out additional van security things like extra door locks, steering wheel & foot pedal locks, plus the best of all The DIY fitted Patriot Disklock Padlock, which when fitted holds your driving seat fixed in the rear facing direction.(y)

I have to say though, if it was me, I would check out every other option of parking my 60K plus van investment on the road, it wont take long to be noticed by all passing bye, and is an easier target to steal or be damaged by those that are jealous. That's why the big names dont want to take it on risk, but I guess you know that. I would be checking out all local storage facilities, if you haven't already, especially those that are CASSOA Registered, it may cost you circa £400 a year, but at least you can sleep better at night.

Let us know how you get on, good luck, and best wishes to you.
LES

We wanted it parked near by because of issues at storage places when we had a caravan……mainly to do with damage caused by person / persons unknown. The storage people didn’t want to know.

We’ve got a Growler alarm fitted, steering lock, VINCHIP, CCTV covering from the house……and a couple of others that I keep to myself. (y)

As you can see from the photo it isn’t parked on the street / road (only in Insurance company speak it is 🤷‍♂️ ) so unless really unlucky, it shouldn’t get hit by another vehicle.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I have same problem , parked on private car park but as the public can access it they class it as parked on street at home address. Best one for me this year was Saga and took out the 3 year option to save me shopping about for a while. Last insurer was Safeguard (dearer than Saga). You could try Campton insurance brokers https://www.campton.co.uk/ as they have insured me in the past.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Access to your property? Is that code for parked on the pavement?

Various police forces round the country and cracking down on vehicles parked blocking pavements. Just saying, because I have to keep the nearside wheels of my car on the pavement, like all my neighbours due to the narrow width of the road.

It‘s my access driveway from the road. It only leads to my house and I can legally park on it, but I don’t own it. The footpath behind the van is over 2 metres wide between the back of the van and my boundary. That’s why we needed a 6m (5.99m) as the 6.3m van would have encroached on the pedestrian footpath.

I don’t obstruct anyone or anything, and it’s legally parked. (y)
7E444562-03D7-4710-8B1C-3450D1138D5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Good decision Sapper520 in getting The Vanbitz Growler, I do like the idea of Independent Deadlocks for the cab doors, plus the side whoosh bang door as they are a visible deterrent:giggle:, especially with the "ProPlate" to protect from the dreaded screwdriver being punched through the doorskin just below the driver door lock to gain entry.
Here's a picture, but you can get it cheaper using a discount code supplied by Karen Wombles , use the search to find if you fancy one. I have one, but waiting for better weather to fit as it involves taking inner door card off.
LES

Last edited:

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
I have the Vanbitz alarm fitted, with the visual deterrent of the blue LED's flashing, and the alarm blaring away if a thief did get in the my van I doubt he/she would hang about. The pro plates are good but wonder what extra damage would occur because thief kept poking prying trying to pop the locks. Most/all thiefs are stupid they wont look and think ohh there a pro plate I wont bother trying to get in this van. Better i think let them pop the locks easily to be greeted by the alarm. Just my thoughts.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OP may be better off looking at storing vehicle at an insurer approved storage location for the few months whilst new house is completed and then a change of storage location when it's moved.
This would open up a wider range of available insurers with, hopefully, more competitive premium.

ps :HelloThere:

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
OP may be better off looking at storing vehicle at an insurer approved storage location for the few months whilst new house is completed and then a change of storage location when it's moved.
This would open up a wider range of available insurers with, hopefully, more competitive premium.

ps :HelloThere:
Easier to find rocking horse poo these days than storage for your motorhome

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Mine is parked on the road, insured by LV, but the doblo not the laika

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Easier to find rocking horse poo these days than storage for your motorhome
Don't think it's too difficult in Scotland but not checked recently, eg think there's space at C&MC Strathclyde Park.

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
Nfu mutual for me, a bit more expensive but when i claimed on home insurance they payed in one week no problem
Absolutely agree. We’re with them for cars, house and MH. None of this getting held on phone. Get through right away plus we have a local office so can even go in. Best we’ve been with and settled a claim quickly last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back