Oh heck ... yet another very, VERY expensive show ... (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I knew we shouldn't have come to Lincoln show ... the plan was to come for the day originally as we'd not been able to book well in advance to be able to park with funsters, but then we got some camping tickets from another member who couldn't attend (donation to MH Fun charity to be made shortly :D) and we were well chuffed as we haven't been away for a break since early January so the poor camper was sulking, as were we and the dogs.

Thursday afternoon we arrived and got pitched up, putting up the 'new to us' awning we'd bought from a member a while back, its a beauty and fits the van perfectly. After a bit of chit-chat with the 'neighbours' walking the dogs and having tea we then settled in for the night ... ooooooo it was lovely to be 'chilling' again.

Friday morning saw us up and into the show early on, having a good waddle around the various stalls with all manner of wares ... octagonal garden huts with fire pits, garden furniture, bikes, clothes, shoes, craft and food stalls, ferrules, fixings and general stuff, pork crackling (yummy sample!), fudge, and chocolate covered roasted coffee beans ... not recommended to be eaten after the fudge sample unless you want to practice gurning! :eek: All manner of accessories for MHs including crockery, pots, pans and the obligatory (for some!) solar dancing minions. :LOL: Plenty of awnings, gazebos, windbreaks to choose from as well as bags to stick all the purchases in.

Of course there were camper vans and motorhomes of all shapes and sizes, and prices to suit all budgets ... and it was as we started to meander through the various dealer stands that our best intentions and plan to just enjoy a nice leisurely weekend relaxing went awry! There in all it's glory was a MH, a version of which we had previously considered but at the time didn't feel it was right for us ... we had a good nosy round it (it was a used one) and after a bit of chatting with the dealer left to decide if we wanted to get more 'serious' with it, we then spotted another MH, similar type of thing from another maker which was being sold as 'used' but in effect hadn't ever been slept, cooked etc in so was in all but name 'new', but it was LHD and we were unsure about it.

After more pottering we spotted another one the same as the first one but this was brand new (2018 model), yes it was a bit more money (quite a bit more!) but it was just 'grinning' at us ... we were seduced ... nay, totally mesmerised ... or was it hypnotised? We pottered over and had a shuftie ... ooooooo ... its nice! Size wise its only a smidgen longer and wider than our PVC so that ticked a couple of important boxes ... lots of 'investigating' of this, that, and the other, what engine did it have, weight, payload, kit fitted/included ... we could feel ourselves being drawn in to being it's new owners ... okay, time to put our sensible heads on! After talking turkey with the dealer and going over what we'd want adding to it we came up with what we feel was a good deal but, despite being 'asked' to sign on the dotted line there and then we agreed we'd call in the morning before the show opened to let them know what we wanted to do so they could move it off the stand and put another to sell in its place. This we did and had a good test drive today and then talked turkey a bit more, confirmed the stuff we wanted and the price ... we did try to get a 'bit' more but to no avail ... it was a bit tongue in cheek though as we had already driven a hard bargain ... we are Yorkshire folk after all! ?

Okay, I'll stop waffling now and tell you what we're getting ... its a Carthago C-Compactline i 138, its only 2.12m wide and 6.41m long, so just 7cm wider and 5cm longer than our Globecar. Double floor with loads of storage, lightweight chassis so only weighs 2900kg in basic road trim, it can be uprated to 3850kg as a paper exercise which the dealer is going to do FOC. They thought we wanted an awning so included that as a sweetener but we don't so negotiated for other bits to be done instead including 2 x 100w solar panels, 2 x 80ah gel batteries, rear view/reversing camera, DAB radio, alarm & 12v socket in the rear (it only has USBs). It's got a lovely big fridge freezer (145 litres) so plenty of room for icecream ... yay! As its a 3-way there'll also be no worrying about running out of electric 'juice' when wild-camping as we don't use sites and won't need the generator now ... oh jezport it's AES! ?

As it's the 6b engine there's no 'new' road tax and luxury tax to pay which is great, if this turns out to be wrong the dealer will pay it (and subsequent years) as I had them put this on the paperwork!(y) We agreed a PX price which is fairly good but we've also the option of selling ours privately too so we'll be trying that first once I've put it back in to it's original trim and reinstalled all the stuff I took out (to protect it) and removed stuff I put in (within reason of course!) ... I will be leaving the lovely tap I put in the kitchen though so whoever buys it will be able to get their kettle under it to make a cuppa. ☕

We should take delivery by the end of October so I might Christen it Brexit! :roflmto:

I'll be doing an advert for our camper soon but if anyone is in the market for a nice Globecar Campscout let me know!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Exciting Mel!

When we were away this year we decided that a compact A class would be the only thing that would tempt us away from the Campscout ...

There’s a chap in fb Globecar page seriously thinking about a Campscout ... so when you’re ready worth popping it on there too.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Jane & I were chatting to Terry when you strolled past. I thought you looked deep in thought - now I know why! ?

So how will I know what modifications to do to my Campscout now I won't have you to follow? ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Welcome to The Funsters Carthago Owners Club, as its much better than the original one.
So why the sudden decision to sell the "newish" Globecar?, did it need its first wash or something?:LOL:
Good luck we love our van, always mods to do.
Les

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We should take delivery by the end of October so I might Christen it Brexit! :roflmto:

:rofl::rofl: Love it!

You need to learn to keep your wallet and cards at home.

Congratulations, now its a ...roll on pick up date. I hate the waiting game.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Impulsive madness is to be enjoyed hope you have a great time in your new motorhome.:)(y)

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Without pictures it doesn’t exist!
+1
796C02D5-F7F2-478D-A7EA-F6CEACB5F14E.jpeg

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
Super van and a great compromise between what you have and a standard width A class/coach built. As you might know from another thread I've purchased a Malibu panel van (part of Carthago) but spent a lot of time looking at their larger range in Dusseldorf. Without doubt, really well designed and put together, the finish of everything was pleasing to the eye and had a warm and homely feel, things just seemed to flow better than in many other conversions. So yes, I completely get why you got drawn in ?

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Congratulations! Make sure you have a GOOD look around and everything is as you want it quality wise before you pay. What engine and HP does it have?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome to the MHFun Carthago club. Nice big kennel at the back for the dogs too !!! Enjoy :D2

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Campscout TRAITOR!!!! Where am I going to look now for ideas improve the functionality of our new Campscout? :unsure:

Seriously........great to meet you both and chat yesterday. I am sure you will be delighted with your new MoHo and have much FUN with it. :)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Too much disposable... Me thinks... ?
Just well jell... ??... I look but canna touch.. ? sooo expensive nowadays ...
I'd av to pimp myself out for the foreseeable... ??

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Corr, that's a posh one! :D

Did you rob a bank, or something? ;)

And you've finally got the bigger fridge you wanted... Bit of an extreme and expensive way to acquire it though. :D

Seriously, congratulations - hope it provides much pleasure. (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I can’t believe it! You’ve been shouting from the rooftops the benefit of a Globecar Campscout and the benefits of a PVC over anything else and then blow me down on a whim you come over to the dark side , an A class

Enjoy your Carthago but don’t go all aloof and stop waving at PVC’s :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back