Oh heck ... yet another very, VERY expensive show ... (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Ours has a heat shield, it was fairly well tucked away at the top though, and I've never come across one without a heat shield so I suspect it was missed when the grill was originally made. Stuff like this does happen even by the builders of MHs/PVCs themselves - Globecar built our previous Familyscout with no support frame under the shower tray so it cracked, they would not believe me that it didn't have the framework until the dealer came to fix it and confirmed my findings. I have heard of at 2 others of a similar age that had the same issue so it looks like the production monkey didn't get enough peanuts that year!
When I next go to the motorhome I will have a good look for a hidden heat shield.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
More observations about the Carthago during our current trip to Spain, these are also on my other thread:
Broken Link Removed
  • Getting steamy: At first we had a heck of a job to keep the cab windows/screen clear whilst travelling, this was after initially clearing them with the Karcher (it should be supplied as standard with all A-class MHs!) but we think we've cracked it now (not literally!) by experimenting with the climate control etc.

• A pump with the hump: En route we topped up with water and did the waste as planned but have an issue as we simply cannot get the air out of the system and it's driving us potty! It keeps running when the taps are off unless we let a good load of water out then it reluctantly gurgles and stops. No idea why as we took the opportunity when filling with water to try to draw all the air out but it hasn't worked. The books says adjusting the pump pressure may help so we'll have to play with it once we get a bit further South and feel like prating with it.

• Magic Roundabout Fridge: The fridge likes to swing open on roundabouts! We have to push the centre near the catch to get it to fully click shut, it may be a simply matter of adjusting it but we'll just get into the habit of checking it 'clicks' fully before travelling for now, again something I'll look at in due course.

• Thank you for the music ... or not: The media centre is very finnickety and doesn't like some of our USB sticks with music on, apparently this is a known issue according to the web and there is an update for the system to sort it out but it's quite a big download and pratty to do so that'll wait until we return home, for now we've got a couple that it likes so we've just transferred the music to those 2 for now.

• Rub a dub DAB: The cab centre 'pop up' holder is where we put our tablet which we use as a sat nav, it fits perfectly and works a treat however we've noticed that the back of the holder has rubbed against the top surround of the media unit's facia. We've stuck something over it to prevent it getting worse but is something that others may want to check as this may not just happen with the Carthago units but other media units too.

• Chinese water torture: There's a noisy 'drip, drip, drip' when its raining at the front which is driving hubby mad overnight as he sleeps in that bed ... :giggle: I managed to find when I went outside that it was emanating from behind the bonnet so it must be dripping onto something in the space behind it and be being 'amplified' ... future investigation is planned.

• Viva Las Vegas: The lights inside are great, lots of them, and it's like Las Vegas, BUT there is one stupid thing about them - the ones over the dinette can only be used in conjunction with the main ceiling lights, ie they cannot be used independently, this means that if we want to 'see' what we're eating we have to have the lot on which means 9 main lights plus ambient lighting and, apart from being wasteful of energy, I prefer not to have to wear sunglasses due to the glare off the crockery! I've got a plan though to make it so we can use dinette ones on their own - there are two 2-way switch for these lights, one at the hab door and another over the dinette, so I will isolate the dinette lights from the hab door circuit which will mean the main lights only can be turned on and off from there alone, then put a separate power supply to feed the dinette switch and lights which will allow us to put them on on their own.

• Soggy bottom: I absolutely LOVE the SOG ... it's FANTASTIC! When hubby goes to the loo for a poo I can actually breathe without risk of keeling over ... it ensures that ALL of the poisonous pong is drawn out with none coming into the MH at all ... pure bliss ... well until he and/or the dogs' fart that is ... I wonder if I could invent a wearable 'human/dog' version ... ?
Welcome to the Carthago world. I hope these are the only problems you encounter.
I now call ours the shed.
Good luck.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Unfortunately the water issue isn't resolved and although the hot water seems to behave itself most of the time the cold doesn't, we get gurgle, gurgle, splutter, splutter ... squirt then a flow with a bit of a stutter! Its driving us mad and we don't know what is causing the issue ... I'm wondering if it should have a non-return valve inline but hasn't so the water is draining back.

Does anyone know if a NRV is/should be fitted and if so where?
Might be worth checking the cover on the small filter next to the pump. When I was having trouble getting this cover off, one of the dealer’s technicians told me they were prone to cracking so they kept spares in stock. A fine crack in this position on the unpressurised side of the pump might be just right to draw air in without water leaking out because the pressure would drop as the pump runs. There would be very little water pressure at this point because it is about level with the tank so it might well not leak water just let a little air in as the pump sucks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Might be worth checking the cover on the small filter next to the pump. When I was having trouble getting this cover off, one of the dealer’s technicians told me they were prone to cracking so they kept spares in stock. A fine crack in this position on the unpressurised side of the pump might be just right to draw air in without water leaking out because the pressure would drop as the pump runs. There would be very little water pressure at this point because it is about level with the tank so it might well not leak water just let a little air in as the pump sucks.
That's what I'm now wondering, I watched a YT video just after I did my post about it, the video guy suggesting they can cause issues if they're not fitted correctly ... the clear filter top actually has air in it and only gets water in when the pump runs so I'll be investigating this tomorrow, if it is cracked I'll glue it and gaffer tape it to within an inch of it's life! :giggle:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That's what I'm now wondering, I watched a YT video just after I did my post about it, the video guy suggesting they can cause issues if they're not fitted correctly ... the clear filter top actually has air in it and only gets water in when the pump runs so I'll be investigating this tomorrow, if it is cracked I'll glue it and gaffer tape it to within an inch of it's life! :giggle:
It certainly suggests the air is getting in either at the filter or upstream towards the tank.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Water update ... Romy wet her bed again ... she does it nearly every night but we're used to it and have spares with us so can swap them then just wash out the soggy cover (waterproof inners).
It certainly suggests the air is getting in either at the filter or upstream towards the tank.
Oh, sorry, our MH's fresh water issues ... :giggle: ... after removing everything from under the dinette seat where the filter housing is located right at the back inner corner (what a stupid place to put it!) I found it had air in it again consequently when the pump was run the water went into it but it still had some air remaining so of course the tap spluttered like mad.

I removed the acrylic filter cover eventually after doing a contortionist impression and found no cracks etc but there was some sort of 'grease' in it, a bit Vaseline, only a small amount but not sure what it was doing in there! I wiped it clean then refitted it and ensured it was as tight as I dare turn it then we had a go with the tap again and the filter housing filled nearly completely with water with only one little bubble on the top (I can live with that!). The tap spluttered a bit then behaved itself, we then tried all the other taps, shower and the toilet and once the initial air came out they were a LOT better, not perfect but certainly usable without getting soaked. When the taps are used and then turned off, or the toilet flush is used, the pump stops very quickly now too rather than running on for ages and/or until we open a tap again. Hopefully this means we've sorted out the main issue and now just need to encourage the air in the pipes out, once we get another change to fill with water we'll give them a good 'run' and this might solve it once and for all.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I assume you noticed the rubber O-ring in the filter cover. I normally give it a spray with silicone. Perhaps it was silicone grease you saw ?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I assume you noticed the rubber O-ring in the filter cover. I normally give it a spray with silicone. Perhaps it was silicone grease you saw ?
Yes there was the o-ring fitted and the grease was in the flat bottom of the housing, probably silicone grease as you say ... I just thought of Vaseline as hubby insisted we buy some the other day :oops: ...

so he could grease the workings of the drop down bed! :ROFLMAO:

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Water update ... Romy wet her bed again ... she does it nearly every night but we're used to it and have spares with us so can swap them then just wash out the soggy cover (waterproof inners).

Oh, sorry, our MH's fresh water issues ... :giggle: ... after removing everything from under the dinette seat where the filter housing is located right at the back inner corner (what a stupid place to put it!) I found it had air in it again consequently when the pump was run the water went into it but it still had some air remaining so of course the tap spluttered like mad.

I removed the acrylic filter cover eventually after doing a contortionist impression and found no cracks etc but there was some sort of 'grease' in it, a bit Vaseline, only a small amount but not sure what it was doing in there! I wiped it clean then refitted it and ensured it was as tight as I dare turn it then we had a go with the tap again and the filter housing filled nearly completely with water with only one little bubble on the top (I can live with that!). The tap spluttered a bit then behaved itself, we then tried all the other taps, shower and the toilet and once the initial air came out they were a LOT better, not perfect but certainly usable without getting soaked. When the taps are used and then turned off, or the toilet flush is used, the pump stops very quickly now too rather than running on for ages and/or until we open a tap again. Hopefully this means we've sorted out the main issue and now just need to encourage the air in the pipes out, once we get another change to fill with water we'll give them a good 'run' and this might solve it once and for all.
Our Beech has started occasionally wetting herself. Vet said not worth medicating and no infection present. She'll go weeks not doing it then suddenly be lying there soaking wet like she hasn't noticed. Not too big a deal at home but we're going away for a year in the Spring in the van and think we need to rethink her bed. What do you use?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Helen Ariel The wetting may simply be a bit of reducing bladder control due to age or as we eventually found with Romy it's from Cushings disease. At first we just had her on Propalin syrup which sorted her but when it became worse that's when a blood test was done and Cushings was confirmed. It might be an idea to ask your vet about it when you get the chance as I believe Cushings if caught early enough can be well managed with very little effect on the dog. Our Romy is an old girl but other than the bed wetting we don't have any problems with her at all, when we had another dog with it he was very poorly and we had to say goodbye when he was just 9.

At home we have some old cut down duvets which we can simply sling in the washing machine but the issue with them is they are difficult to dry so not practical for when in the MH so we're using her usual waterproof MH bed with a polycotton cover on which can be easily removed for washing. The problem is that if she wets it in the early morning its not the best of times to be removing the cover, drying the plastic inner and then trying to fit another cover without disturbing the other dogs, so as we already had another thinner bed with us I covered it with waterproof material that I happened to have in the MH (gaffer tape is great!) and a pillow case fits over it (I had doggy ones already) so that is her 'morning bed'.

The polycotton pillow cases are easy to wash and dry very quickly so it's not a major issue and usually just rinsing them out in clean water with a little washing liquid in is all that is needed as her wee is very watery and doesn't smell at all.

Make up some foam/memory foam pads/beds that are just a bit smaller than pillow cases, then cover the pads with plastic material (the type you use for table cloths will do but NOT shower curtains as they often aren't totally waterproof) using plenty of gaffer tape, then slip on a pillow case - the beauty of this is that you don't end up having to make lots of bespoke covers for them and if you need more you can easily pick them up anywhere. If one pad isn't soft or big enough just make more.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Sounds good. We just have a towel down at the moment but it can go through. she is 10 and otherwise healthy. I read it's quite common in older spayed bitches.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sounds good. We just have a towel down at the moment but it can go through. she is 10 and otherwise healthy. I read it's quite common in older spayed bitches.
Well our Romy started at the beginning of the year and she's over 16 now, but we suspect it had been going on for at least a couple of years which was just put down to age-related wetting. Unfortunately of Midge was diagnosed in September/October time and we managed to keep him going until June the following year ... he was only 9 but I suspect had had it for a long time, we just didn't know about it.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Forgot to say, we tried towels but they are a devil to dry especially if the weather isn't great as they take days to do so 'indoors'.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes there was the o-ring fitted and the grease was in the flat bottom of the housing, probably silicone grease as you say ... I just thought of Vaseline as hubby insisted we buy some the other day :oops: ...

so he could grease the workings of the drop down bed! :ROFLMAO:
Not heard that excuse for vaseline before. :xrofl: :xrofl:
You do get some strange woman up north.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not heard that excuse for vaseline before. :xrofl: :xrofl:
You do get some strange woman up north.
Hubby told me that it suggests using Vaseline in the manual ... I haven't read it yet so I trusted he was correct ... You've got me wondering now!!!! ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Ours has a heat shield, it was fairly well tucked away at the top though, and I've never come across one without a heat shield so I suspect it was missed when the grill was originally made. Stuff like this does happen even by the builders of MHs/PVCs themselves - Globecar built our previous Familyscout with no support frame under the shower tray so it cracked, they would not believe me that it didn't have the framework until the dealer came to fix it and confirmed my findings. I have heard of at 2 others of a similar age that had the same issue so it looks like the production monkey didn't get enough peanuts that year!
When I next go to the motorhome I will have a good look for a hidden heat shield.
Looks like there might have been some operator error involved. There does appear to be a metal lining at the top of the oven, which if pulled hard slides out a few inches. I will have to fess up to the dealer but I am not sure they were aware of it either. It didn’t get mentioned at the handover or when I reported the problem but does get a mention in one of the Dometic manuals.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Looks like there might have been some operator error involved. There does appear to be a metal lining at the top of the oven, which if pulled hard slides out a few inches. I will have to fess up to the dealer but I am not sure they were aware of it either. It didn’t get mentioned at the handover or when I reported the problem but does get a mention in one of the Dometic manuals.
I have one on my van small pull out deflector only moves about 25/30 mm

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
To be fair though unless you knew it was there you'd never look for it, as we've had grills/ovens in the past we were aware it would be hidden inside, however even when it is in use the drawer front and underside of the worktop still gets very hot.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update on the water problem:

I've sort of 'temporarily fixed' it ... originally I thought it might be a cracked filter housing letting air in but despite being wrapped in gaffer tape it had no effect, so I then used some electrical tape to go round the inlet from the tank to the filter housing and the outlet to the pump and since then its just about behaved itself so one of them must need tightening up but I can't really get at them easily so whilst it's working more as it should I'm not gonna do anymore until I get home.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
And when you get home take it to the dealer....
As they're not close by I'll sort it myself as it shouldn't take long - cheaper and quicker than going there and back. We have some other bits which I will leave to them but nothing that stops us using the MH so will wait until the first hab is due unless there is a dire need to go back to them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back