NEWS ITEM ABOUT GREEN CARDS. Do I apply yet? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
A news item caught my eye this morning regarding motor insurance when going ‘foreign’. Insurance companies are warning motorists that in the event of a No Deal Br###t those travelling should apply for a ‘Green Card’ at least one month prior to departure.
Do we need to apply/panic yet? I’m being serious.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wouldn't panic but if you are going to be abroad around the B date I would give teh insurance company a call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The last one I had wasn't actually green.

If your MH policy includes pan-European cover then I would expect responsible Insurers to send you a green card automatically - leaving it up to the customer to request one isn't proper customer care.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013

If your MH policy includes pan-European cover then I would expect responsible Insurers to send you a green card automatically - leaving it up to the customer to request one isn't proper customer care.
I agree with what you say but l don't really want to be caught out as we will be out of the country come Bxt-day and unable to obtain a paper copy of said document. So l have checked with my motor insurance company this morning and whilst they don't know the ultimate answer l have decided it would be wiser to pay up now. That way I won't have to worry about some keen French Gendarme or Spanish Civil Guard testing his powers out on me in late March.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Check your certificate of insurance. On the back of ours it says it takes the place of the Green Card and then has this repeated in several different languages. The only snag is it says "..and other members of the EU...". As suggested check your insurance company, I'm going to as ultimately any claim will need to be supported by them so best to get their view as well. They may issue new certificates of insurance with different wording on the back.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
According to comfort insurance renewed this month they will let you know of any changes but i'm returning to uk on the 28th march to be safe - but i was more interested in covering pet issues than anything else

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

If it isn't on green paper ,it isn't legal.
2 different spanish agents assured me of that as y renewal is when I am out of the country & they do not issue them until after the renewal (for the year) so the agent prints it , signs ,stamps & dates it & emails it to me & I have to print it out on green paper. There is no cost here for one to cover the whole year.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
One of my motorcycle brokers said they don'y know yet but will email policyholders if things change.

I asked if I could have one anyway and they told me they don't do them. The plot gets thicker.

Reactions: DBK

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I asked mine the other week jist to be sure ( safeguard) they said only Morocco and Turkey required a green card even if a no deal brexit. They gave me one anyway as I had considered morroco and I may visit Turkey who knows.
I'm on the shuttle later today and no intention to give a bugger about brexit.

I have my illegal immigrant pack loaded on board , a dingy with oars etc so if they don't let me in by the time I'm coming back I'll have a nice tan and will just row over the channel:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I asked mine the other week jist to be sure ( safeguard) they said only Morocco and Turkey required a green card even if a no deal brexit. They gave me one anyway as I had considered morroco and I may visit Turkey who knows.
I'm on the shuttle later today and no intention to give a bugger about brexit.

I have my illegal immigrant pack loaded on board , a dingy with oars etc so if they don't let me in by the time I'm coming back I'll have a nice tan and will just row over the channel:)
If you chuck away for passport you get given a new one, a house and given money(y)

Have a good trip :p

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Havn't we got an insurance team here somewhere @AIBinsurance
Be nice to see their thoughts on the matter ,perhaps their new team member has an answer ?? :D

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Having travelled a little in Europe my thought is that it would be unwise not to cover every option - ever been stopped by two gun toting Gendarmes on the A10 at night or even two equally well armed German Border Control types in the hills above Rhine in day light????

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Having travelled a little in Europe my thought is that it would be unwise not to cover every option - ever been stopped by two gun toting Gendarmes on the A10 at night or even two equally well armed German Border Control types in the hills above Rhine in day light????
No. & in 80,000 kms over the last 4 years I struggle to actually count any I have seen using my other hand. Fortunately:LOL:

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Chairman of ABTA just been on Midlands news and stated that all would be required is 6 months on your passport and no mentipn of a green card.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have just phoned Comfort, they are going to issue me with a green card for our forthcoming trip to Spain leaving on the 9th February. Our insurance is due for renewal on the 6th March. The earliest they can give me a quote is the 4th feb. If I accept and pay, they will put a second green card in the post, first class to hopefully arrive before we leave on the 9th february to cover us from the 6th March. It has to be a physical card to be legal , not an email copy. Obviously if Brexit is postponed it is academic.
We will also be getting our International Driving Permits after the 1st Feb , both types as we are due to leave Spain on the 28th March and arrive in Plymouth on 29th but if the ferry is delayed/ cancelled we might then need them. Obviously we won't bother if Brexit is postponed.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am more worried about this NEW DIET the BBC reported on yesterday,,hardly any meat and fish but loads of nuts an grains,,,Blimey we will all turn into Lib Dems or join The Green Party,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Chairman of ABTA just been on Midlands news and stated that all would be required is 6 months on your passport and no mentipn of a green card.

But was he talking about people going on a package (ABTA backed) holiday? ie not taking their own vehicle?

A friend who holidays regularly in Spain asked me if they would need a green car for the car which they hire in Spain: no.

However, she didn't realise she might need an International Drivers Permit: as with Brexit in general, a lot of ignorance, conjecture and misinformation.

We're not booking anything until it gets sorted - Gordon

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
One of the things that may happen of course is 45 years ago very, very few people travelled for anything near 90 days and when we do become a third country ( when we crash out or at the end of the transition period) there will probably be all sorts of clauses in the Insurance cover about complying with the 90 day rule.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Having driven for literaly hundreds of thousands of miles in UK and Europe I can say I've only ever once been asked for my documents - and that was at a peage by a gendarme who only wanted to show a trainee what was involved in checking a coach driver.

Correction - there was one other occasion when I had broken down and was forced to abandon the coach to a breakdown truck (now there's a good story.....!) The gendarme told me I could collect them later - but they've never been found since!

The only other reason I would want documents is if, heaven forbid, I was involved in an accident. So I've got with me as much as, up to now, anybody can tell me I may need. If there is anything else then all I can do is plead that the rules changed without me being able to do anything about it. And try to stay out of trouble.

But I'm not going to spoil our trip worrying about it.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Brexit will be yet another opportunity for people and organisations to make money out of us. Don't hand over your money until you definitely have to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back