Newhaven to Dieppe ferry (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are off to France, Spain and Portugal in a few weeks time. Looking at the prices for the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry because the Tunnel seems to be getting very expensive. And we can get the 20% OAP reduction. We will be aiming to use the Day crossings, not overnight. Can I just ask a few questions.

Is it necessary to book a cabin on a day sailing? Are there plenty of comfy seats instead?

What is the food like during the day? Not expecting haute cuisine, just want to know if it is edible, warm and reasonably priced.

We will be on the 11:00am ferry out. How early can you arrive to check in? We only live 25 miles away.

How long will the drive be from Dieppe to the Aire at La Mailleraye?

How hot are French customs at Dieppe. Thinking of fridge contents check.

Is the ticket transferable if we miss a ferry?

I know that Lenny HB uses it often

Many thanks

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
They normally check in from about 2 1/2 hours before sailing. Never had our fridge checked in ten or more trips.
Don't know that Aire so can't help sorry. Don't think the ticket is transferable if you miss it but it can be amended for a tenner before sailing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We are off to France, Spain and Portugal in a few weeks time. Looking at the prices for the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry because the Tunnel seems to be getting very expensive. And we can get the 20% OAP reduction. We will be aiming to use the Day crossings, not overnight. Can I just ask a few questions.

Is it necessary to book a cabin on a day sailing? Are there plenty of comfy seats instead?

What is the food like during the day? Not expecting haute cuisine, just want to know if it is edible, warm and reasonably priced.

We will be on the 11:00am ferry out. How early can you arrive to check in? We only live 25 miles away.

How long will the drive be from Dieppe to the Aire at La Mailleraye?

How hot are French customs at Dieppe. Thinking of fridge contents check.

Is the ticket transferable if we miss a ferry?

I know that Lenny HB uses it often

Many thanks
"And we can get the 20% OAP reduction"

Whats that WE paleface. Surely Angela is nowhere near that yet?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can arrive at anytime you can just stop in front of the check in booths or car park.
If everyone is checked in early they often leave early.

Don't need a cabin, food tolerable.

About 45 miles to La Mailleraye so 1¼ to 1½ hours.

They charge £20 to change a booking, occasionally I've not been charged.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Aire was shut last winter, but use the stopover round the corner by the river about 7 euro card payment, keep ticket on entry as you need it to open barrier to get out. Ground can be soggy by river so always park against wall. Shop in village has self service fuel station, always seams reasonable to me.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I live 20 miles away and been using the route for 30+ years. It's all very laid back.

Check-in closes 90 mins before departure. I've always arrived 90 mins before dep and there's still been a queue and everyone gets loaded.
No need to book a cabin. Comfy lounge seating or table and chairs in bar area.
Food O.K.
You can change the booking at a charge but no refunds.
Phone only to get the discount.

From their website:
1709314841700.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Am I correct in thinking you have to book by phone to get that ? Or does it come up as an option on the website
Agree tunnel is getting very costly 😕
Yes I will have to phone.

"And we can get the 20% OAP reduction"

Whats that WE paleface. Surely Angela is nowhere near that yet?
I will have you know that I am her toy boy

Phone or at the port.
What is the phone number please Lenny

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Deck 6 is quieter, the bar and restaurant is on deck 5 and this is usually where the kids are as well as the play area, there are quiet saloons with comfortable chairs to sleep or rest on deck 6..

Food is typically canteen food and edible but not much flavour… there are some good little Aires around the area from dieppe Peter so there’s no need to rush if you’re running late…😎

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Peter, just check the prices for days either side of when you are thinking of crossing. We came over on Mon 19th Feb & found out afterwards we could have got it quite a bit cheaper. Live & learn & all that.

This was our 3rd crossing, agree with what others have said, its very laid back.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Good info here.... I'm mixing a cycle tour (I'm a bike mechanic) with a Holiday....cyclists are heading over Newhaven Ferry too on a 2 day London to Paris led ride.... so they are looking for me to meet them in Dieppe before Day Two start... looks like I have all the info I need....

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Good info here.... I'm mixing a cycle tour (I'm a bike mechanic) with a Holiday....cyclists are heading over Newhaven Ferry too on a 2 day London to Paris led ride.... so they are looking for me to meet them in Dieppe before Day Two start... looks like I have all the info I need....
Going South it's a pretty long uphill grind out of the port. ;)
Sounds like fun, have a great trip.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you for all the information. We booked today. Out on 21 March and back on 2 May. Cost us £210.00 return, which is under half the price the tunnel wanted. We have just got to get some sea sick pills now!

Sep 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
£210 return ! That sounds so cheap. We've got a 6 metre A class with bike rack so would cost about the same as you. How does that compare with BF from Portsmouth to St Malo these days ?

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
It’s a great sailing, cheap pretty flexible for changes and not too busy, unfortunately it’s a long way from Fife 😩

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
£210 return ! That sounds so cheap. We've got a 6 metre A class with bike rack so would cost about the same as you. How does that compare with BF from Portsmouth to St Malo these days ?
You can select 'What if? routes to get the costs here:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sadly it looks like a group of caravans with vans has set up camp on Le Mailleraye sur sein aire, on the LHS just past the entrance. I was hoping they would have been moved on by now, as Google Earth has shown them there for many months.
I guess it will have put a lot of people off using it, shame as that was Clarky wife's favourite 1st stop for a few days after entering France as shown on his videos often.
They may have put up a pay barrier now, which would be a reasonable step to take if they have had some unwelcome guests, hopefully anyone using it recently can comment.
LES

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sadly it looks like a group of caravans with vans has set up camp on Le Mailleraye sur sein aire, on the LHS just past the entrance. I was hoping they would have been moved on by now, as Google Earth has shown them there for many months.
I guess it will have put a lot of people off using it, shame as that was Clarky wife's favourite 1st stop for a few days after entering France as shown on his videos often.
They may have put up a pay barrier now, which would be a reasonable step to take if they have had some unwelcome guests, hopefully anyone using it recently can comment.
LES

My google maps show the travelers there 10yrs ago…😆😎

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
LES
That barrier has been in use for at least 5 years if not more. We used it often and have had no problems. Before that a little man used to come around to collect the charge morning's and evenings. The French camping caristas used to come in late and go early just to save the €6.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Well I must be odd one out, have used the route a few times, did not book a cabin first time, always have since then no matter what time the ferry. sometimes drive overnight to get to Newhaven, so a nice kip on board sets us up for the onward journey. might be my height/shape but have yet to find a seat comfy enough and was pretty bored first trip, despite kindle and knitting, which i couldn't do as only suitable seating was taken.
Food wasn't brilliant but we learned to take some with us, bottled water tea bags and travel kettle.
Booked for later this year got my 20%discount was so easy by phone.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
The food is just adequate,but the coffee is the worst coffee ever!! I plan to take sandwiches and a flask next time we travel. Since the tunnel stopped the frequent travellers discount this is our preferred crossing, Dieppe is a place we plan to spend more time in

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
LES
If they are French travellers they don't interefere with anyone it's just the ones from Ireland and the UK that can't leave others stuff alone. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back