Mrs DT

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I'm a newbie
Fridge worked perfect 1st trip and we were hooked up to electric, 2nd trip we did 'wild camping' and couldn't get the fridge to work on gas or leisure battery. What are we doing wrong?? help

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
The fridge wouldn't normally run off the leisure battery - it only runs on 12v when the Engine is running.
When you set the fridge to gas do you hear the ignition clicking or is it a manual ignition?
Make and Model of the fridge might help diagnosis as well.
And Welcome to the Fun!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi there. It may help if you introduce yourself first..Just to give us a chance lol..What fridge do you have ?
How old is the camper and appliance etc? Is it a 3 way manual or automatic type?
Thetford or Dometic or Electrolux etc

Kev

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Van has to be level for fridge to work,or at least within about 3 degrees.
Maybe needs a new or cleaner jet/burner.
Is the gas OK on other appliances,eg hob?
Most fridges seem to work better when put to a medium setting rather than high.....don’t ask me why!
Good luck.
Have you joined? It’s worth it,you’ll get a lot more help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrs DT

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I'm a newbie
ooops sorry Hi I'm Wendy lol We have a Swift Escape 694, 2yrs old as is the fridge. Will have to check the model of fridge, wondered if it was the ignition switch?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrs DT

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I'm a newbie
what and where is the islolation valve?? no clue lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrs DT

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I'm a newbie
fab thanks for your help everyone, al go hunting for them tonight :)

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Like this (y)
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! From the vehicle spec it should have a Dometic 138 litre fridge. This probably has automatic energy selection - that is, it will for example, switch to gas if you are stopped without EHU. I also suspect the gas maybe turned off too. :)

If the gas is on then you may need to find someone to look at it. Fault finding isn't easy unless the fault is something obvious. I'm assuming you have gas - can you boil a kettle? :)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you've never used it on gas before, it may take quite a long time for the gas to push the air along the long thin pipe and reach the fridge. A few minutes, even. To confirm the gas supply is OK, do the other gas devices work OK? The hob, for example.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
w2f
from another Wendy.

(If it's only 2 years old I suspect it's something simple, not a fault, like the gas not turned on, hopefully!;))

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Also worth bearing in mind there should be a time delay between turning the engine off and it switching to gas.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
On our Domestic AES fridge it for some reason won't switch to gas if in the AES position and either AC or DC power is removed.
It shows the gas led flashing but never powers the igniter.
I have to turn it off and then to the gas position.
It then runs happily on it.

Might be worth checking.

Also check if your igniter is trying to light the gas. You should hear a ticking sound like any conventional gas hob etc.

If it's a Dometic flashing led is lighting mode, steady led is on and working.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First question ... did you have the ignition turned on not with the engine running though (eg so you could listen to the radio)? If so, this will stop the fridge working so you need to turn the ignition off.

Second - is the gas on at the bottle and at the isolation tap?

Third - is the gas is getting through to the hob?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Helloooooo!
Calling. @Mrs DT, anybody there????
Well,it would be nice to know the outcome sometimes........wouldn’t it?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Helloooooo!
Calling. @Mrs DT, anybody there????
Well,it would be nice to know the outcome sometimes........wouldn’t it?
You holding your breath again Podney? :D

Maybe got the parts needed from Jack Weather's who appears to run a spares shop for RV fridges in America.
Doubt we'll hear from Jack again either as he only made one post and broke the forum rules with that one.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Are there any lights on on the fridge control panel? If not, it could be a blown fuse in the 12v system.

Even using the fridge on gas, it'll still need a 12v supply.

We once thought we had a dodgy fridge, then discovered it shared a 12v supply with a 12v socket and an item plugged into the socket had blown a fuse in the 12v distribution box, so knocking out the fridge too. Although most installations will have separate fuses for the fridge -- maybe two, a lower amperage one for the controls and a higher one for the cooling.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrs DT

Free Member
Apr 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry Podney for not replying, had a stressful week. Everything seems working fine, hob etc, the only thing we think can explain it is the fact that we weren't level. The fridge works fine on electric and battery so fingers crossed thats the reason, thanks to everyone for their help. Happy days x

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry Podney for not replying, had a stressful week. Everything seems working fine, hob etc, the only thing we think can explain it is the fact that we weren't level. The fridge works fine on electric and battery so fingers crossed thats the reason, thanks to everyone for their help. Happy days x
That’s good!
Hope all goes well. Come back here if it doesn’t!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
It took me hours to work out why the "automatic" fridge in our van wouldn't switch to gas power. It switched from engine power to hook-up OK but not to gas. Checked all the taps etc. Read the manual again and again. Then I realised what was wrong. The van was hooked up (with fridge running but gas off) for a day before leaving home. I always check that the gas is off before driving anywhere. But, for the fridge to automatically switch to gas, the gas must be turned on before the fridge is switched powered up i.e. You either have to drive with the gas on or re-boot the fridge when you stop and open the gas valve. Personally, and despite assurances about automatic cut-off valves, I still don't like driving with the gas turned on so now I re-boot the fridge when we stop. And yes, there is an approx 20 minute delay before it will switch automatically - apparently to avoid the gas igniting whilst re-fuelling the van. Having worked in a filling station and seen the fire safety films I don't trust that either!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back