New Motorhome Tax Costs? - 1st Sep 2019 (3 Viewers)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Update from collecting new 69 plate motorhome today.

Well it seems my dealer was not guilty of 'gilding the lilly' and was truthful when they advised that my new Euro 6c 3500kg motorhome would be taxed at the existing VED rate (post No. 54 in this thread) and thats what happened when it was taxed with DVLA today.

So, as for the stories being peddled by some dealers at the outset of this thread, I will leave you to make up your own mind!!

So for the avoidance of doubt, your MH was taxed at the existing PLG rate (as a Euro 6C should be) and not the existing Diesel Car rate?

Referring to the "existing" VED rate is confusing, as there is no new tax class ;)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Update from collecting new 69 plate motorhome today.

Well it seems my dealer was not guilty of 'gilding the lilly' and was truthful when they advised that my new Euro 6c 3500kg motorhome would be taxed at the existing VED rate (post No. 54 in this thread) and thats what happened when it was taxed with DVLA today.

So, as for the stories being peddled by some dealers at the outset of this thread, I will leave you to make up your own mind!!
I believe that the only "conflicting" information ( post #54) or potential confusion is not to ASSUME that all Euro 6B or C chassis will have been derogated
Even then I believe that with an IVA inspection ( like a kit car) they could be taxed at the lower rate

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Yes, for clarification my new 3500kg MH was taxed at the existing PLG rate (as a Euro 6C should be) and not the existing Diesel Car rate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If it gets really silly I would use their own SORN system and tax it for the time I was going to use and then SORN it after maybe two months or what ever tha redo the tax when I wanted to use it again using the start and end of the month to get it done on line. I foresee that this is going to be just the start of the vehicle problems and the CARBON TAX used as a big hammer to hit us all with. The Global warming fiasco being the reason to tax us all out of everything.
Have you noticed the number of Climate and Meterologist that are losing their research funding and even their positions at universities, IF they, DO NOT follow the line laid down. Tax is the name of the game here not saving the planet. Do not believe the BBC lies.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Have you noticed the number of Climate and Meterologist that are losing their research funding and even their positions at universities, IF they, DO NOT follow the line laid down. Tax is the name of the game here not saving the planet. Do not believe the BBC lies.

No I haven't seen all these Climate Scientists and Meteorologist losing their research funding, but as everything in science is evidence based, I can only presume you have? Perhaps you can share your evidence with the rest of us sceptics so that we can use it when Scientists make these wild claims - think of it as peer review.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I went to Caravan, Static and MH (allegedly!) show at The Lawns today (Cottingham, E Yorks). There were lots and lots of statics/park homes, a fair few caravans but only a handful of PVC conversions (Elddis & Compass), no coachbuilts at all.

I had a shuftie at the PVCs and chatted to one of the sales reps about the tax situation. Her belief, as is mine, is that if you can get a new vehicle with a 6B or 6C engine (there are still some out there) you won't pay the new VED levy, either now or for the next few years, but if you go for a one with the 6D you will.

There are 2 taxes: Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Luxury Car Tax (LCT).

VED: this is applicable to all new MHs which have the M1SP classification (6d engine) and also have the emissions info on the Type Approval Cert/COC/IVA document), if you don't have both then it looks like you don't pay the new tax, but if you do (which is more than likely!) this means you pay £2,135 VED at first registration then £145 for each subsequent year (ie the new tax rate for that class).

LCT: this is separate from and additional to the VED - if the MH has a list price of over £40,000 then this kicks in from years 2 to 6 at a cost of £320 per year, this may therefore mean even if you don't end up with the extra VED levy, you could end up with the LCD levy for years 2 to 6 if your MH has the M1SP and COC info against it ... unlikely but that's assuming a dealer etc doesn't make a 'mistake'.

This may mean that if the vehicle has the 6d engine but is NOT listed as costing over £40,000 then you may end up not having to pay the LCT but will still have to pay the VED ... I think it's unlikely you'd get hit by one and not the other due to the price of MHs but ...

From what I've read it looks likely all new MH with the 6d engine (with M1SP & emissions info) will pay these new rates regardless of weight as there is nothing to state otherwise that I can find so registering it at over 3500kg at first registration doesn't appear to be a 'get out' option.

Broken Link Removed

Altogether, this will mean motorhomes will no longer be taxable as light goods vehicles. The new requirement for emissions information to be provided on the type approval, will make all motorhomes eligible to be taxed based on their emissions. This could result in much bigger first year VED bills for the most polluting vehicles.

Last edited:

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
All this regarding new engines 2020 models that will fall into the category luxury cartax so they after pay large first yr cartax weights don’t come into it so I think all vehicles will pay the higher VED from 2020

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I went to Caravan, Static and MH (allegedly!) show at The Lawns today (Cottingham, E Yorks). There were lots and lots of statics/park homes, a fair few caravans but only a handful of PVC conversions (Elddis & Compass), no coachbuilts at all.

I had a shuftie at the PVCs and chatted to one of the sales reps about the tax situation. Her belief, as is mine, is that if you can get a new vehicle with a 6B or 6C engine (there are still some out there) you won't pay the new VED levy, either now or for the next few years, but if you go for a one with the 6D you will.

There are 2 taxes: Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Luxury Car Tax (LCT).

VED: this is applicable to all new MHs which have the M1SP classification (6d engine) and also have the emissions info on the Type Approval Cert/COC/IVA document), if you don't have both then it looks like you don't pay the new tax, but if you do (which is more than likely!) this means you pay £2,135 VED at first registration then £145 for each subsequent year (ie the new tax rate for that class).

LCT: this is separate from and additional to the VED - if the MH has a list price of over £40,000 then this kicks in from years 2 to 6 at a cost of £320 per year, this may therefore mean even if you don't end up with the extra VED levy, you could end up with the LCD levy for years 2 to 6 if your MH has the M1SP and COC info against it ... unlikely but that's assuming a dealer etc doesn't make a 'mistake'.

This may mean that if the vehicle has the 6d engine but is NOT listed as costing over £40,000 then you may end up not having to pay the LCT but will still have to pay the VED ... I think it's unlikely you'd get hit by one and not the other due to the price of MHs but ...

From what I've read it looks likely all new MH with the 6d engine (with M1SP & emissions info) will pay these new rates regardless of weight as there is nothing to state otherwise that I can find so registering it at over 3500kg at first registration doesn't appear to be a 'get out' option.

Broken Link Removed

Altogether, this will mean motorhomes will no longer be taxable as light goods vehicles. The new requirement for emissions information to be provided on the type approval, will make all motorhomes eligible to be taxed based on their emissions. This could result in much bigger first year VED bills for the most polluting vehicles.
What you quote there says “light goods vehicle” my information is that over 3500kg will not be included in emission as Private Heavy goods and the figures would not be on the CoC.

Martin

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
What you quote there says “light goods vehicle” my information is that over 3500kg will not be included in emission as Private Heavy goods and the figures would not be on the CoC.

Martin

Seeing as this legislation is now current isn't it an utter shambles that there's no concise official information. Six pages of debate and there still doesn't seem to be and precise clarity, how difficult can it be for our beloved government to publish a document so that us poor tax paying sods know what they expect if us?!

Dejaybe

Free Member
Aug 31, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
2 years
Isn’t it down to the dealer to pay VED - have just done px deal on new van and price is on the road inc 1st years road tax so assuming I will just be hit with the higher £ 465 annual tax after 1 st year instead of £265 which I pay on on current van - not expecting to see the VED on my bill

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Isn’t it down to the dealer to pay VED - have just done px deal on new van and price is on the road inc 1st years road tax so assuming I will just be hit with the higher £ 465 annual tax after 1 st year instead of £265 which I pay on on current van - not expecting to see the VED on my bill
Perhaps but in the small print of the contract/order form I signed last December there was a clause saying the price was subject to change if there were any new or increased taxes.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I posted this on another thread - it's what Brownhills have been advised by the NCC and implies that all motorhomes on the 6d with an emissions figure on the CoC will be subject to the new rate regardless of weight.

Dejaybe

Free Member
Aug 31, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
2 years
Well let’s hope my dealer keeps to his word as he was aware of the new tax but not changing it on anyone buying their new 2020 pre ordered models

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Well let’s hope my dealer keeps to his word as he was aware of the new tax but not changing it on anyone buying their new 2020 pre ordered models
I hope he does but best check the small print. If he is specifically undertaking not to implement the known VED changes as part of his sales push you should be ok on this. Are you buying a UK built motorhome or is it being imported as a finished vehicle? This might be more of an issue on 2020 motorhomes.

Rhodeska

Free Member
Nov 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On my third van
Said it before & I’ll say it again.
The French have a lot more backbone than us, didn’t used to be the case, but sadly we’re now a pathetic nation of jelly babies who put up with absolutely anything our so called ‘politicians’ throw at us.
If this happened in France, they’d simply park every available motorhome on all major roads & put the country to a standstill, Job Done!!!!!
Not us, we’ll just moan as usual.
Poor lads in trenches must be turning in their graves, what a waste.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Said it before & I’ll say it again.
The French have a lot more backbone than us, didn’t used to be the case, but sadly we’re now a pathetic nation of jelly babies who put up with absolutely anything our so called ‘politicians’ throw at us.
If this happened in France, they’d simply park every available motorhome on all major roads & put the country to a standstill, Job Done!!!!!
Not us, we’ll just moan as usual.
Poor lads in trenches must be turning in their graves, what a waste.
I must have missed the demonstrations over the French up to 10,500 Euro emissions "bonus malus" charge on vehicle purchase price then. When did they happen?

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
I have posted the following on another thread but thought it would also be useful and relevant here too. I emailed DVLA a few days ago asking the following question with regard to the new motorhome taxation legislation..

'I understand that VED for motorhomes has changed as of September 1st whereas they will be taxed in a similar manner to cars ie by emmision. What is not clear is whether this applies to motorhomes over 3500kg as clearly this weight of vehicle cannot be classified as 'a car' but a PHGV . I cannot find any information relating to this on your website so please can you confirm which class a motorhome weighing over 3500kg will be taxed?'

I have today recieved a response (see screenshot) from DVLA saying that no changes have been made to the taxation of motorhomes and vehicles that if the vehicle is over 3500kg then it can still be taxed as a PHGV. Am I or they missing something??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190913-093745_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190913-093745_Gmail.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I have posted the following on another thread but thought it would also be useful and relevant here too. I emailed DVLA a few days ago asking the following question with regard to the new motorhome taxation legislation..

'I understand that VED for motorhomes has changed as of September 1st whereas they will be taxed in a similar manner to cars ie by emmision. What is not clear is whether this applies to motorhomes over 3500kg as clearly this weight of vehicle cannot be classified as 'a car' but a PHGV . I cannot find any information relating to this on your website so please can you confirm which class a motorhome weighing over 3500kg will be taxed?'

I have today recieved a response (see screenshot) from DVLA saying that no changes have been made to the taxation of motorhomes and vehicles that if the vehicle is over 3500kg then it can still be taxed as a PHGV. Am I or they missing something??

I still don’t think their response is clear. Though it does suggest > 3500kg MAY be ok!?!
Clear as mud.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
> 3500kg is not a car so over 40k “ rule” will not apply

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus

Attachments

• 4738AFE7-A89C-4A1B-8445-58584C387EEE.png
    4738AFE7-A89C-4A1B-8445-58584C387EEE.png
    327.2 KB · Views: 23
  • C7A83082-A3AB-437A-AFBE-9A0755E383FC.png
    C7A83082-A3AB-437A-AFBE-9A0755E383FC.png
    303.5 KB · Views: 24
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
> 3500kg is not a car so over 40k “ rule” will not apply
Be careful what you wish for. If it is not a car it it might get treated as commercial and have to obey different rules including a commercial MoT, just like over 3500kg horse boxes.

Don’t look for sympathy from the average non touring motorist (the majority), they would likely think that we and caravans get away too cheaply and luxury items that clutter up the motorways in August should be taxed out of existence. That is not my view but I suspect most people have no idea that heavy motorhomes have been getting away with lower VED than them and think we are “barking” for complaining when the loophole is closed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back