New Motorhome Tax Costs? - 1st Sep 2019 (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Seems my Google skills are failing me tonight.

Can't seem to find out anymore on this. Strange if Spinney are the only ones writing about this?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
And my 8 litre petrol can keep chugging along at £165 lovely. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It appears that Spinney are interpreting the “StepD” legislation as requiring the CO2 figure to be on CoC AND that this musy be used when registering the vehicle
I cannot find any official confirmation that this is true

If it IS true, then as the current VED legislation stands, the numbers for duty to be paid are correct

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Just another tax, but we just let the government walk all over us, about time the Englishman stuck together and said no!

I think we are the only race that don’t ,Ireland,Wales,Scotland and even France do, but not England.
I predict a Riot?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks to me like they are referring to the 'showroom' tax on first registration.
Stupid money on vehicles over £40000 plus an extra premium over and above normal rates for each CO band for the next four years then reduced to normal rates.

Allegedly to discourage buying high CO luxury vehicles but what the gov can't grasp is if you can afford to spend £100000 on a motorhome you aren't going to worry about £2000 to tax it in the first year and maybe £700pa for the next four years.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see any changes to the current system where the charges for over £40k doesn't apply if the co2 values are not on the final C of C.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't see any changes to the current system where the charges for over £40k doesn't apply if the co2 values are not on the final C of C.
Maybe considering removing the exemption and using the original factory CO figures as the converter isn't able to calculate them after conversion and they certainly ain't going to be lower than a chassis/cab.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Was reading about this the other day, seem to recall it said an extra £352 pa on VED on new cars and motorhomes over £40000 for 5 years after registration?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Similar discussion yesterday on this thread.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If Nigel is correct (taken from the other thread) then this could hike up prices a bit:

Not a member here, but this change to taxation of Euro 6d vans indicated by Spinney is what I was told a couple of weeks ago by another dealer in the NW. The NCC is apparently asking MH dealers to lobby their MPs & are in talks with the relevant authorities to try & get this changed. IIRC the comment was that this was an oversight on the part of Customs & Excise that will require Govenment action to change & the current pre-occupation with the "B" word means a lack of parliamentary time (or maybe will ?) in the near future to make any changes.

A further complication for Euro 6d vans is, apparently. the lack of homologation - I was told that there are only 2 testing houses that can carry out the homologation testing & they won't start testing until September. That means a big backlog of vans that will not have a Certificate of Conformity until they can be tested, so cannot be registered. The dealer concerned said he didn't expect to be delivering a Euro 6d van to a customer until December at the earliest - he would have vans on the forecourt, could sell those vans, but couldn't register & deliver them until the CoCs arrived.

WRT to any Euro 6b vans still on forecourts - they have an exception that allows them to be registered up to the end of August 2020. Any still unsold approaching that point would have to be pre-registered before 1st September 2020.

Add in to that price hikes of around £2k for the Euro 6d vans & many manufacturers choosing to supply the "standard" engine as the 120hp in place of the outgoing 130 (and not the 140 hp as the trade were expecting - upgrading to the 140 will add around another £1k), the new 9 speed auto adding around £4k (a lot more than the ComfortMatic + only available on 140hp and up, so add in the cost of an engine upgrade to go auto for many) and 2020 model year vans are looking a lot pricier all round than the current 6b + ComfortMatic versions.

Nigel B

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
With all the talk about emissions, pollution and tax these days, I can't honestly see the CO2 value on a motorhome COC remaining blank for very much longer.

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
But if registration is over 3500kg, then £165. Does this have an effect on insurance though?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just another tax, but we just let the government walk all over us, about time the Englishman stuck together and said no!

I think we are the only race that don’t ,Ireland,Wales,Scotland and even France do, but not England.
I predict a Riot?
Totally agree. We are now a pathetic nation. We used to stand up for things we believed in but now we have loads of namby pambies who are frightened to offend. If Iran keep hijacking our ships we'll send our troops over with feathers to frighten them.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Looks to me like they are referring to the 'showroom' tax on first registration.
Stupid money on vehicles over £40000 plus an extra premium over and above normal rates for each CO band for the next four years then reduced to normal rates.

Allegedly to discourage buying high CO luxury vehicles but what the gov can't grasp is if you can afford to spend £100000 on a motorhome you aren't going to worry about £2000 to tax it in the first year and maybe £700pa for the next four years.

Grasping is what government does best. :devil:

Get your yellow vests on! Take to the streets!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If this does kick-in then surely Spinney have their figures mixed up a bit. They are stating that the tax would cost £265/annum but then it would rise to £465 If the luxury tax was added.

We've just bought a new car and in theory the VED is £145 but because of the value the new adjusted VED is now listed at £465(see VED extra below, i.e 145 + 320).

My point is that if the standard charge applied was £265 then surely the actual VED would increase to £585/annum because of the £320/annum luxury tax.

Still confused!

Screenshot_20190723-100304_Samsung Internet.jpg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
It’s not going to help struggling dealers. Compounded with the exchange rate and any future import tariffs it might make buying a van in the U.K. out of many people’s reach.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
How about buying the new base vehicle and then having it converted when technically second hand? If the new base vehicle is a commercial (N1) and below the £40000 threshold does that defeat the possible new tax rules?
Perhaps the major converters could look at that method of selling to beat the system!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This was mentioned on Saturday:

Needless to say I haven't heard anything from my email to the NCC not even an acknowledgement!

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Basically if you buy a new van after 1st September.under 3.5t there is another tax ved for the 1st yr roughly £2500 then every yr upto 4yrs you pay about £480 per yr ved then it drops to £330 per yr in the 5th yr.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I answered this the other day.....
As of the 1st of September tax (VED) for a new motorhome goes up from £265 to £2135 (705% increase) It will then sit at £465 a year for the rest of its life.
  • As a motorhome is based on a commercial vehicle chassis but has a unique vehicle classification (M1), this means that a new motorhome registered with DVLA will, for the purposes of VED, be moved out of the commercial vehicle tax band – Private/Light Goods (PLG) – and will be taxed as a car.
Nothing is confirmed about vehicles over 3500KG yet although we are all under the assumption that it is ALL new motorhomes registered after the 1st September.

Simon

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I answered this the other day.....
As of the 1st of September tax (VED) for a new motorhome goes up from £265 to £2135 (705% increase) It will then sit at £465 a year for the rest of its life.
  • As a motorhome is based on a commercial vehicle chassis but has a unique vehicle classification (M1), this means that a new motorhome registered with DVLA will, for the purposes of VED, be moved out of the commercial vehicle tax band – Private/Light Goods (PLG) – and will be taxed as a car.
Nothing is confirmed about vehicles over 3500KG yet although we are all under the assumption that it is ALL new motorhomes registered after the 1st September.

Simon

Do you have a link to this information please?

I checked the gov.uk website and can't find anything other than the following https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

I assume the information you have given supersedes the info on the .gov website?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Do you have a link to this information please?

I checked the gov.uk website and can't find anything other than the following https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

I assume the information you have given supersedes the info on the .gov website?
Not anything I can share publicly as it has sensitive contacts etc.
However both of our motorhome brands have emailed us. The NCC have emailed the manufacturers asking them to email the dealers.
This is the first time the NCC have ever asked people to lobby MP's.
Manufacturers are trying to make plans for this when it happens.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If the NCC want folk to lobby their MPs it would be prudent to share their information with the public. It's impossible to lobby without knowing the facts.

I've searched for reliable info sources and have found nothing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back