Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We've just signed on the dotted line (actually many dotted lines, as this is France) for a new (ex-display) Globecar Summit 640 in iron grey metallic. We love our old Hymer, but just thought a PVC of some sort would suit us better now. We looked at many different makes and models but the Summit was the one which ticked most boxes and just seemed like a high quality build. It has the 150 engine and Comfortmatic box.

We're having an awning, a solar panel, and a media centre fitted. I think it only has one battery, so that's something I'll be attending to myself. They are also fitting the electric step, as that was somehow forgotten when it was built. We take delivery on July 19th - seems like a very long way off!

summit640.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is it me or is there an issue with the windows? I'm just thinking of the issue that BK has found with his windows ...

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It does look a bit odd in the photo, but I didn’t see anything wrong while we were there. Maybe we’ll go back and ask for another look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It does look a bit odd in the photo, but I didn’t see anything wrong while we were there. Maybe we’ll go back and ask for another look.

Steve, do you know which boiler is fitted to your new van. If it is being sold in France then you may get a gas-only unit.

The UK spec vans come with a Truma 4E unit but I was told that if you were buy it in Germany then the 640 comes with a Truma 6 so no electricity.

I was supposed to receive a 4E with my UK Summit but I received a Truma-6 gas only unit instead and it has turned out to be the best choice for us since we don't use campsites.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Steve, do you know which boiler is fitted to your new van. If it is being sold in France then you may get a gas-only unit.
Pretty sure it's the gas only Truma 4.

We've been for another look at the van today. There is some slight distortion in the reflections in the windows, but to be honest, until your thread alerted to me it, I still wouldn't have noticed even on a third viewing. A number of other vans there displayed the same effect - a Campscout Revolution, and a couple of Pilote vans. They all seemed to have the same type of windows, which I think are Seitz S5. It's not enough for me to ask for them to be replaced, but I'll keep an eye on them.

One thing which I believe is different about your van is that I think you have rear windows - we do not. I don't think this is an option, so it's interesting that some seem to have them and some not.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just checked the specs and the Truma 4 is the standard Euro boiler. Also, the electric step is an optional extra on the Summit 640 hence the reason (possibly) why it was missing to begin with. If you can get a CP Plus fitted then IMO it's much better than the standard Truma dial controller.

We didn't have any input into the 'build' options list for our van but as soon as we saw it we knew that some extras had been fitted.

Ours came with the following extra bits fitted: black chrome front, black grille, painted front bumpers, omnistep, slate grey table, Truma CP Plus controller, rear windows and blinds, sanitary package, soft close side door, Oak copper bora wood upgrade, USB in lounge,

The UK spec means that the dealers have the opportunity to charge the punter an extra £3,200 for the likes of cab aircon, Truma E, painted bumpers, electric door mirrors, Remis blinds, passenger airbag and matching cab seat upholstery plus a few other things.

I would be interested to know Steve if your French dealer also charges you these rip-off prices as they do in the UK as personally speaking I think we get stiffed over here.

Final point, the rear windows. My wife loves them but I'm not that keen. They are good for looking out the back of the van while driving but if you're my size (6'1") then you're constantly knocking the damn blinds so I sleep with my blind open. Also, the beds have a 100kg maximum loading so they're not exactly designed for fatties.

If it's not on the order sheet then make sure you get the CP Plus.

All the best,

Andrew

Edit: We were lucky enough to get a Truma 6 too which was a benefit albeit the van only needs a Truma 4 to do the job properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The windscreen price of ours was €54664 (£48800 at current poor exchange rate). It has the auto box, manual cab aircon, oak copper bora wood, soft close door, electric mirrors, passenger airbag, height adjustable passenger seat, ESP/ABS/ASR/Hill holder, cabin seats matching habitation, cab remis blnds, 16" alu wheels and a few other things which are not standard. I think it does have the CP Plus. There are a few things missing which I would have liked but which are not possible to add now.

We added an awning, a media centre with reversing camera, and a solar panel, and the total cost for those was about €4000, which made the total price about €58600, but he did it for €55800 (£50000).

Ours doesn't have the painted bumpers, and the French price list says that is not possible on the Heavy/Maxi Fiat chassis.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The windscreen price of ours was €54664 (£48800 at current poor exchange rate). It has the auto box, manual cab aircon, oak copper bora wood, soft close door, electric mirrors, passenger airbag, height adjustable passenger seat, ESP/ABS/ASR/Hill holder, cabin seats matching habitation, cab remis blnds, 16" alu wheels and a few other things which are not standard. I think it does have the CP Plus. There are a few things missing which I would have liked but which are not possible to add now.

We added an awning, a media centre with reversing camera, and a solar panel, and the total cost for those was about €4000, which made the total price about €58600, but he did it for €55800 (£50000).

Ours doesn't have the painted bumpers, and the French price list says that is not possible on the Heavy/Maxi Fiat chassis.

My first thought after reading your very honest post is that if Nicky and I do continue with this motorhoming malarkey then our next van will be purchased in Germany/abroad.

We received a very good PX on our previous van but even when that's considered then the price we paid for our van would be circa £8,500 more than yours. I've made a few adjustments for the fact that you have a comformatic box while we have painted bits and rear windows but all things considered you've got a great deal, assuming that the mileage is zero too.

We went to one Pilote-Globecar Dealer in Scotland and the price to change for a cheaper lisyed Campscout was going to be £6,500 more than the deal down South so on an apples-for-apples basis that would equate to a Globecar costing £64,000 as opposed to your £50K unit.

Enough said Steve, I'm off to Europe next time.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Final point, the rear windows. My wife loves them but I'm not that keen. They are good for looking out the back of the van while driving but if you're my size (6'1") then you're constantly knocking the damn blinds so I sleep with my blind open.
We sleep with our heads at the rear so don't have the problem of us bashing the blinds with our heads but our dogs like to try to squish them so I've put some wire barriers against them which means we can close the blinds without worry of them being dogged! On the odd occasion we sleep with our heads near the windows then we can use insulated pads, which I made from old internal windscreen pads, which fit nicely against the windows.

We were lucky enough to get a Truma 6 too which was a benefit albeit the van only needs a Truma 4 to do the job properly.
I can confirm that the Truma 4 (we have the 4E but never use electric!) is more than sufficient to heat up the camper quickly and keep it nice and snug, we had the 6E in a 6m camper and it was stupidly OTT for it.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I was thinking of placing a strong perspex sheet over the apperture with Velcro corners.

What I've found with every brand of motorhome is that they often quote quite reasonable bed lengths but once you place the pillows down then then length reduces massively.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was thinking of placing a strong perspex sheet over the apperture with Velcro corners.

What I've found with every brand of motorhome is that they often quote quite reasonable bed lengths but once you place the pillows down then then length reduces massively.
We've been down the 'acrylic' route and we found it a nuisance having to remove them to close/open the blinds.

What size pillows do you have? You don't have to actually use 'normal' pillows in a camper, smaller rectangular cushions work just as well, so long as your bonce fits on it then that's all you need, alternatively just cut down a normal pillow ...

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We've been down the 'acrylic' route and we found it a nuisance having to remove them to close/open the blinds.

What size pillows do you have? You don't have to actually use 'normal' pillows in a camper, smaller rectangular cushions work just as well, so long as your bonce fits on it then that's all you need, alternatively just cut down a normal pillow ...

View attachment 313387

Pics paint a thousand words Mel so keep them coming. That pic of yours has given me a few ideas.:D

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi Klaatu, we are retired in France and have just sold our Hymer that has been scarcely used since we bought here in Aquitaine 4 years ago. Like the look of your new Globecar. Can't afford a new one & auto is essential since I broke my leg in UK. Love to find an 'occasion' similar to yours or smaller-quite fancy a 'pop-top' though on board loo is essential. Started with an AS Trooper on a a VW Chassis & am not going back to loo in the awning at my age! Struggling to find what we want & perhaps you could pm your dealer details. Thanks, Roger

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
They only had new ones when we were there (I'm counting the display ones like ours as "new"), but I'll send you the details anyway in case it's useful. In our search for a PVC we have found very few used ones for sale at dealers. I'm assuming you are familiar with the Annonces Caravaning site.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Hi Steve, I do find searching online tricky since most won't let you add boite auto. Thanks, Roger We have time since I have to wait for the transfer! Thanks, Roger

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, I wanted an auto and found it difficult searching for that.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Blue Knight - Andrew, I know you have a refillable system installed, but can you confirm that the Summit 640 has space for 2 x 13kg gas bottles, please? The French brochure says 2 x 13kg, and a number of web sites say the same. I asked the dealer, and he confirmed this. However, I've noticed that the Globecar web site says 2 x 11kg, and this is repeated elsewhere on the web. Confusing!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Blue Knight - Andrew, I know you have a refillable system installed, but can you confirm that the Summit 640 has space for 2 x 13kg gas bottles, please? The French brochure says 2 x 13kg, and a number of web sites say the same. I asked the dealer, and he confirmed this. However, I've noticed that the Globecar web site says 2 x 11kg, and this is repeated elsewhere on the web. Confusing!

Hi Steve,

You would need to send me the exact dimensions of the 13kg bottle(s) as I only have 2 x Gaslow R67 11kg units installed.

There is no room in the cabinet for bottles wider than the R67 but if your proposed 13kg unit is the same width but taller then it should be workable. That said, you do need to ensure that the regulator is a couple of inches higher than the bottles themselves so for me personally I think the R67 11kg bottle is the max I would/could ever consider.

I've just taken a pic for you.

Any more questions/measurements then ask away.

All the best,

Andrew
20190701_095459.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Here we go, I've just checked my brochure, pic below, and it states 2 x 11kg.

20190701_103838.jpg

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Here we go, I've just checked my brochure, pic below, and it states 2 x 11kg.
Thanks - the 2019 French brochure has all of the H-line models as 2 x 13kg.

The 13kg bottles we use are 57cm high (including valve) and 30cm wide.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks - the 2019 French brochure has all of the H-line models as 2 x 13kg.

The 13kg bottles we use are 57cm high (including valve) and 30cm wide.

It looks as if you'll be fine Steve since an 11kg R67 is 560mm tall by 304mm wide.

Those are the official figures BTW and not my dodgy measuring.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks, Andrew, that's good to know. I suspect UK 13kg bottles are a bit fatter so won't fit, hence the difference in the brochures.

It's interesting how sizes and specs differ from one country to another.

We have a gas-only boiler and do really well on 2 x 11kg Gaslow units so your 2 x 13kg set-up should be fantatsic.

If you need anything else then drop me a line.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back