Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Picked up the van today. Very pleased with the dealer, they were very professional and helpful with the handover considering they spoke very little English and my French isn't perfect.

I really enjoyed driving the 70 km home, so much easier to drive and more relaxed than the old Hymer.

I am now trying to establish exactly what it has fitted and what I need to do. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't appear to have the indirect lighting as I thought that was standard on the 640.

It doesn't have the CP plus controller so I'm thinking I might fit on, assuming it's a straightforward drop in replacement.

It has the standard Varta LA95 AGM battery, which I know is suboptimal, so I can't decide whether to go the easy route and add another the same or whether to buy 2 new non-AGM batteries. Lithium is tempting. I have a 100w solar panel fitted, with an MPPT controller.

It doesn't have cruise control so I am considering adding that myself - probably one from NCS systems.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Steve, well done on the new van. May I ask whixh lights are you referring to in your post above; is it the blue & white main LED lights or the five reading lights in the van or the ambient less tucked up behind the upper cupboards.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Steve, well done on the new van. May I ask whixh lights are you referring to in your post above; is it the blue & white main LED lights or the five reading lights in the van or the ambient less tucked up behind the upper cupboards.
Andrew, it's the ambient ones, I don't seem to have them, and if it's just that I can't see them, I can't find a switch for them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, it's the ambient ones, I don't seem to have them, and if it's just that I can't see them, I can't find a switch for them.

I've nipped out to take some pics.

Firstly, ensure that the 12v power button is activated on the CBE control panel.

Next, you have two light switches; one in the B-pillar, next to the passenger seat (mine is a RHD), and this activates the front light loop while the rear light loop is activated by the switch in the wall which is just above right hand side foot of the bed, right of the fridge.

1. Front switch:
20190720_120054.jpg

2. Front light loop (1 of 2):
20190720_120106.jpg

3. Front light loop (2 of 2):
20190720_120117.jpg

4. Rear Switch for rear loop:
20190720_120134.jpg

5. Rear light loop:
20190720_120143.jpg

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, Andrew, we don't have those switches.

I've also now discovered that it won't take 13kg gas bottles, the manual says I have to use 11kg bottles. The only supplier of 11kg bottles I can find in France is Leclerc, but the width of their bottles is apparently the same as everyone else's 13kg bottles. There are some plastic feet on the floor of the gas locker which are placed 30cm apart (and it turns out my 13kg bottles are slightly bigger than that), did you have to remove those to fit your refillable bottles?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks, Andrew, we don't have those switches.

I've also now discovered that it won't take 13kg gas bottles, the manual says I have to use 11kg bottles. The only supplier of 11kg bottles I can find in France is Leclerc, but the width of their bottles is apparently the same as everyone else's 13kg bottles. There are some plastic feet on the floor of the gas locker which are placed 30cm apart (and it turns out my 13kg bottles are slightly bigger than that), did you have to remove those to fit your refillable bottles?

Hi Steve, I didn't fit the bottles myself but I know full well that the standard plastic bottle mounts have not been moved or changed; I have the Gaslow 2 x 11kg system as you know.

It seems rather strange that the technical brochure states 2 x 11kg bottles and yet the French kit is too wide. That said, it shouldn't take much to adjust them if only a few extra millimetres are required.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It seems rather strange that the technical brochure states 2 x 11kg bottles and yet the French kit is too wide. That said, it shouldn't take much to adjust them if only a few extra millimetres are required.
Having removed the feet I can get two 13kg bottles in there, so as you say it should just be a case of adjusting their location. Thanks again.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Having removed the feet I can get two 13kg bottles in there, so as you say it should just be a case of adjusting their location. Thanks again.

Steve, I originally thought that the French price on the Summit 640 was extremely good but it seems that the UK Spec van is so well equipped that I don't think I got a bad deal after all.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Steve, I originally thought that the French price on the Summit 640 was extremely good but it seems that the UK Spec van is so well equipped that I don't think I got a bad deal after all.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
Same thinking here ... I just didn't want to say it first! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back