Nec Motorhome Show

Stevil74

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We're planning to go to the NEC Motorhome show so we can check out the various layouts and awning options before we buy our motorhome. Has anyone been before and have tips to get the most out of the day and what is the best day to go to see all the exhibitors but have fewer visitors?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
For your motorhome, be prepared for a long wait - a very long wait! ;)
But also - I would suggest getting there early as time flies! Layout is indeed very important but so is the fit and finish/quality that you are happy with so you may be going around back and forth.
Discounts are more difficult these days with long delays, but I’d try to at least get an awning as part of the deal.
Good luck and enjoy 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
For your motorhome, be prepared for a long wait - a very long wait! ;)
But also - I would suggest getting there early as time flies! Layout is indeed very important but so is the fit and finish/quality that you are happy with so you may be going around back and forth.
Discounts are more difficult these days with long delays, but I’d try to at least get an awning as part of the deal.
Good luck and enjoy 👍
We started going to these big shows to check out first for c'van and then later for mo:ho.
Found eventually they were counter productive in that it was that busy you could not look around the vans properly ,
(we always got behind Mr & Mrs Mouth who had to take every seat cushion/cupboard/etc apart and comment on how the one they already had was much better).
However if you did get to look around at the end of the day you could not rmbr what and more importantly where you had seen it
IMV Better to visit a few dealers and get to look around at your leisure..... even if it does mean driving around to visit a few..
PS however good day out if you like to be herded around and njoy the company of pushy arrogant poeple who like to push thru crowds regardless..
Sorry not for me anymore..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We found going to 10 + different dealers at their premises as productive as going to the NEC. I’m not putting you off going as you can find out some good information and maybe narrow down your list.

However, don’t buy anything until you’ve searched the internet for best prices. Some dealers / exhibitors will match that price…..talking accessories etc here by the way……but others won’t. In that case we just went home and othered it ourselves.

Good Luck. We tentatively started looking 5 years before our purchase in 2020, but took us 2 years to get to our final choice.👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
It's a horrendous cattle market, queuing at every van to look inside reminded me of waiting for a bus.
If you did find something you liked, you can expect to wait God knows how long for it by which time a newer model will be out!
I won't bother again, especially with the new Covid variants on the rise.

(Whistling 'Always look on the bright side of life' as I write this );)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Completely new
I went to the October show on a Saturday and expected the worst. However, was pleasantly surprised. It was busy, but not crowded and there were hardly any queues at all. I saw everything that I needed to see, and there was no pressure from the sales staff at all.

We arrived about 11ish and left (completely knackered) about 4ish.

I'm a complete newbie, and looked at as much as possible and had a great day.
Hope you enjoy 😊

Upvote 0

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Take photos and make notes. You will have forgotten what you saw before you are out of the gates. Remember the salesman are there to sell. Don’t be persuaded unless you already know what you want.
Many will come with wind out canopies, so I would think twice about awnings, unless you intend to spend long periods of time in one place.

Upvote 0

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria
Like Roger says above - Get there early, get around what you want to look at before the hoards get there and get out before 4pm otherwise the traffic is crap all the way home! .

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome Stevil74! :hi: Some tips below from my previous threads that may be helpful & if you like any of the info on this thread then maybe consider becoming a paid subscription member for full access to the discounts & deals too (y)

Parking is included in the cost of your ticket & plenty of room to park the motorhome but not allowed to stay overnight. Car parks are normally some distance away from the main building & as lots of Show halls to walk around so might be a good idea to hop on the free shuttle bus that take you from the carpark to the main entrance but don't forget to note which car park you are in!
Sensible shoes - not just because of the large area that you might cover but also going up & down all those motorhome steps of varying heights safely.
Wear layers as although may be cold outside it gets really hot in the halls with all the lights & people.
Taking a rucksack with food & drinks is a good idea as cheaper & don't have to queue. Suggest only one rucksack if two of you as some manufacturers don't allow them to be taken into their premium models so may have to take it in turns or leave it outside.
There is the option of visiting M&S Simply Food at the nearby airport by walking then using the free Air-Rail link - it's a bit of a walk but ideal if coming in by train & loads of people had M&S picnics last year. Any NEC staff should be able to point you in the right direction for anything as they are normally friendly & helpful.
The "Made" food outlets in the back of the halls are ok for sandwiches & cake (if one is full try another as lots of them) & there are a number of free drinking water refill points in the corridors outside the halls - both are marked on the Show map.
You can go in & out of the halls freely just don't forget to get your hand stamped the first time you leave. Numbers of tickets sold will be restricted this year so it shouldn't get too crowded but being able to get outside in the fresh air for a break is really good. A new ventilation system was installed after the pandemic for cleaner air.
Pace yourself - it's a lot to get around (takes us at least two days!) & if you have a limited time suggest planning & prioritising the stands you want to see. Suggest downloading the floor plan from the website https://ccmshow.co.uk/ on your phone. Also more detailed info. about the traders & larger map at the back of the Show guide which can be downloaded in advance from the website just before the Show although you will also get a free copy on arrival.
Show days earlier in the week are normally quieter.
There is free Wi-Fi so worth checking any prices or information online before buying - some sales staff don't know all the facts or might even make it up to get a sale :(
Take photos of Show prices & layouts (there are usually boards outside each motorhome) & anything else that you might forget later. It's easy to be dazzled by all the glitz & excitement of the Show.
Ask for a cooling off period with your choice of motorhome held if you do agree a sale - 24 hours is normal.
Be friendly & smile - it's long hours & hard work on the stands so more likely to get a good deal if you are likeable not demanding :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
We ended up driving down on the Friday and went to the show then shot across to the Stratford Race Course site for a few days.
Looked at the pub stop down the road but the car park was on such a slope and being near 9m there was no way of getting anywhere near level😳😳
Show wasn’t too bad and spent a bit of time looking in some vans, had to wait a few minutes for some but expected that.
Was surprised how many vans and caravans were at the show considering the shortage of new ones there seems to be!

Did end up spending £16 on an ACSI card😳😳
Didn’t see any bargains or stuff I had to have.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stevil74

Stevil74

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Thank you for the tips everyone, especially your detailed reply Wombles. I have now subscribed so I can reply 😀

We're planning to buy a used Motorhome so the plan at the motorshow was to get an idea of what layout to look for, we hadn't realised there are so many options!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
We shall be going too on the Friday for the first time years.
Mainly looking at bits and bobs rather than vans. But will hopefully get to have a nose round some.

Looking at alarm systems, an outdoor stove, and other odd camping bits we can’t live without!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
If you are looking to buy new, don't expect to get the vehicle when they suggest it will be available.Waiting since Oct 21 and still no firm date.I suspect some dealers quote an unrealistic date to secure a sale.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We shall be going too on the Friday for the first time years.
Mainly looking at bits and bobs rather than vans. But will hopefully get to have a nose round some.

Looking at alarm systems, an outdoor stove, and other odd camping bits we can’t live without!

Vanbitz for alarm systems.👍

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thank you for the tips everyone, especially your detailed reply Wombles. I have now subscribed so I can reply 😀

We're planning to buy a used Motorhome so the plan at the motorshow was to get an idea of what layout to look for, we hadn't realised there are so many options!
Do as much as you can on line before going to the show .... If you can, visit dealers and put together a list of things you must have (or could add) and would like to have.

For us the must haves were a large fridge freezer, a bed/beds we didn't have to move cushions around to make up, the ability to sit up in bed and have coffee/tea comfortably and not have to climb over each other to get out of bed. We also had to have a decent sized shower, four belted seats as a minimum and a drop down electric bed in the front for the grandchildren as we don't like making beds up!

We ended up with something we hadn't even considered BUT had all the above! Though to be honest we didn't get it right the first few times BECAUSE we compromised on our must haves, much to our regret!

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Hi & welcome Stevil74! :hi: Some tips below from my previous threads that may be helpful & if you like any of the info on this thread then maybe consider becoming a paid subscription member for full access to the discounts & deals too (y)

Parking is included in the cost of your ticket & plenty of room to park the motorhome but not allowed to stay overnight. Car parks are normally some distance away from the main building & as lots of Show halls to walk around so might be a good idea to hop on the free shuttle bus that take you from the carpark to the main entrance but don't forget to note which car park you are in!
Sensible shoes - not just because of the large area that you might cover but also going up & down all those motorhome steps of varying heights safely.
Wear layers as although may be cold outside it gets really hot in the halls with all the lights & people.
Taking a rucksack with food & drinks is a good idea as cheaper & don't have to queue. Suggest only one rucksack if two of you as some manufacturers don't allow them to be taken into their premium models so may have to take it in turns or leave it outside.
There is the option of visiting M&S Simply Food at the nearby airport by walking then using the free Air-Rail link - it's a bit of a walk but ideal if coming in by train & loads of people had M&S picnics last year. Any NEC staff should be able to point you in the right direction for anything as they are normally friendly & helpful.
The "Made" food outlets in the back of the halls are ok for sandwiches & cake (if one is full try another as lots of them) & there are a number of free drinking water refill points in the corridors outside the halls - both are marked on the Show map.
You can go in & out of the halls freely just don't forget to get your hand stamped the first time you leave. Numbers of tickets sold will be restricted this year so it shouldn't get too crowded but being able to get outside in the fresh air for a break is really good. A new ventilation system was installed after the pandemic for cleaner air.
Pace yourself - it's a lot to get around (takes us at least two days!) & if you have a limited time suggest planning & prioritising the stands you want to see. Suggest downloading the floor plan from the website https://ccmshow.co.uk/ on your phone. Also more detailed info. about the traders & larger map at the back of the Show guide which can be downloaded in advance from the website just before the Show although you will also get a free copy on arrival.
Show days earlier in the week are normally quieter.
There is free Wi-Fi so worth checking any prices or information online before buying - some sales staff don't know all the facts or might even make it up to get a sale :(
Take photos of Show prices & layouts (there are usually boards outside each motorhome) & anything else that you might forget later. It's easy to be dazzled by all the glitz & excitement of the Show.
Ask for a cooling off period with your choice of motorhome held if you do agree a sale - 24 hours is normal.
Be friendly & smile - it's long hours & hard work on the stands so more likely to get a good deal if you are likeable not demanding :)
Ah Wombles you are always so nice😊

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
I have one ticket available for sold out Saturday (£10.-). I bought it before knowing I could go Tuesday. PM me if interested.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Take a packed lunch, the NEC catering is crap and expensive, or you can avoid it by getting the shuttle to the airport and eat there.
You're prepared to spend £50k to over £100k on a new motorhome...
I wouldn't be fretting over a £5 sandwich.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We started going to these big shows to check out first for c'van and then later for mo:ho.
Found eventually they were counter productive in that it was that busy you could not look around the vans properly ,
(we always got behind Mr & Mrs Mouth who had to take every seat cushion/cupboard/etc apart and comment on how the one they already had was much better).
However if you did get to look around at the end of the day you could not rmbr what and more importantly where you had seen it
IMV Better to visit a few dealers and get to look around at your leisure..... even if it does mean driving around to visit a few..
PS however good day out if you like to be herded around and njoy the company of pushy arrogant poeple who like to push thru crowds regardless..
You sum it up very well

It up very well

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You're prepared to spend £50k to over £100k on a new motorhome...
I wouldn't be fretting over a £5 sandwich.
It's not just the sandwich cost but the time it takes to get it, I'd much rather take my own and eat it as soon as I want to than wait for ages before being able to sink my noshers into one.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We bought ours at the October NEC because it was the launch event for the model we wanted that ticked all our requirements. The next season's allocation of this model to the UK main dealer was quite restricted so we needed to get our order in early.

Since then we have only been back to the NEC on a couple of occasions because it's such a long and tiring day out and there are not that many new models we would consider a must-see. Manufacturers have improved their websites with 360 degree virtual tours of their models.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I understand they were filming for £1M motorhome yesterday, on the MORELO stand of course ;) would still need two of a decent spec to get to £1M though.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
We usually go to both NEC shows and the Warner ones at Peterborough and Lincoln each year. These days its for accessories rather than anything else.
Will miss NEC this month as I've a 3 month medical driving ban and SWMBO is not keen on long journeys in winter, should be back driving by April so, will go to Peterborough.

Food cost is not really relevant to either show, NEC we'll use Subway, Peterborough whatever takes our fancy.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
funflair as we walked past the Morelo stand at lunchtime today we looked at each other and said...where's Martin - brand association obviously.
It was quiet as the main stage had Paul Merton and Suki Webster at 12.30

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Agree totally, NEC not for me either.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back