NCC Verified Battery Scheme Latest (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The NCC, got back to me within a few days.

I wrote

They Responded
This is so full of holes! Test houses verified by themselves !!! IMO it supports the claim by A&A Caravans that performance data is taken at face value.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The more I read about to, the more I'm convinced it's a load of tosh...

You can't trust any (big?) company these days.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
In 2012 I bought two AGM batteries they failed early 2014! In March 2014 I did loads of reading.

I read the website from A and A caravans and bought 2 x Bosch s5 leisure batteries 100ah - these were stop/start car batteries. At the time it was a bit of a risk but I needed new batteries and couldn’t stretch to gel.There website at the time suggested these were better than most leisure batteries. I wasn’t sure how well they would work out but they are still in use now. I use them roughly 98% of the time off hook up and have a 90w solar panel to keep them topped up. Our van is used all year round and during winter used approximately every 6 weeks in summer the van is used for all our holidays and almost every weekend!

All I can say is that I’m happy I took the risk and listened to a and a caravans.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In 2012 I bought two AGM batteries they failed early 2014! In March 2014 I did loads of reading.

I read the website from A and A caravans and bought 2 x Bosch s5 leisure batteries 100ah - these were stop/start car batteries. At the time it was a bit of a risk but I needed new batteries and couldn’t stretch to gel.There website at the time suggested these were better than most leisure batteries. I wasn’t sure how well they would work out but they are still in use now. I use them roughly 98% of the time off hook up and have a 90w solar panel to keep them topped up. Our van is used all year round and during winter used approximately every 6 weeks in summer the van is used for all our holidays and almost every weekend!

All I can say is that I’m happy I took the risk and listened to a and a caravans.
Can you verify it's the S5 Car battery and not the L5 which is the leisure battery. If the L5 That is a great recommendation for this Leisure battery which is also the Varta LFD90 (Same battery, different labels) and purchased by quite a few members on here who will be glad to know how the battery is performing. I have been looking at the Excide ET650 Leisure battery with great interest as it weighs 27 Kilos and comes from a good battery manufacturer who claim it will give loads of cycles and can be subjected to deep discharges over long periods. Just what I want.

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
Can you verify it's the S5 Car battery and not the L5 which is the leisure battery. If the L5 That is a great recommendation for this Leisure battery which is also the Varta LFD90 (Same battery, different labels) and purchased by quite a few members on here who will be glad to know how the battery is performing. I have been looking at the Excide ET650 Leisure battery with great interest as it weighs 27 Kilos and comes from a good battery manufacturer who claim it will give loads of cycles and can be subjected to deep discharges over long periods. Just what I want.

Been running a pair of LFD90's for 2 1/2 years now, charged with 200 watts of solar. We have a 1800 watt inverter which runs the 1200 watt hair dryer each morning for 5 minutes and we watch TV for a couple of hours a night. Also charge a Bosch pedelec bike on12v pulling 6 amps for around 4 hours, 2 or 3 times a week. No problems so far.

Colin

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011

Yes mine is the Bosch s5 car battery that was recommended prior to the new style leisure batteries that are probably based on the s5! The varta lfd90 is now the recommended replacement although there is probably very little difference!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just got an email from Tayna about Yuasa batteries ... do they realise how unwise it is to say this I wonder! :D

Yuasa's new high spec leisure batteries are now available at Tayna!

The batteries have been tested and verified by the NCC where they listed the AGM batteries as 'A Class'. This means that the NCC recommend these batteries to anyone that requires a unit that can handle frequent off-grid use.

The EFB batteries were awarded 'B Class' which means these batteries are perfect for use with an electrical hookup, with some off-grid use too.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's a very interesting read and I do like the fact that he seems to have the NCC on the ropes.

That said, I wouldn't mind one of those 2000-cycle type batteries that is mentioned by the NCC. They must be good:D

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
It gets worse, this months MMM magazine had an article on leisure batteries, recommending NCC 'tested' batteries...

Are they part of this scam too?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It gets worse, this months MMM magazine had an article on leisure batteries, recommending NCC 'tested' batteries...

Are they part of this scam too?
Not surprising nearly all their advertiser's are members of the the NCC.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That's a very interesting read and I do like the fact that he seems to have the NCC on the ropes.

That said, I wouldn't mind one of those 2000-cycle type batteries that is mentioned by the NCC. They must be good:D
I've just purchased a pair of these and according to the NCC list they are rated as Class A.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/exide/et650/

However, this is not the reason I purchased them. According to Exide's Specification, they are 27 Kilos in weight (Big chunk of lead) and around 500 Cycles @ 50% D.O.D and as Exide produce there own leisure batteries I have some confidence these will perform well. I will provide feedback on their performance in due course.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
let be honest theres no such thing as independent testing if the manufacturing company is paying the bill in much the same way as suveys will always find the results that the nbill payer wants

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Reading this months MMM you'd be forgiven for thinking that the NCC tested this battery 600 times not 6. Or am I just reading it wrong?

IMG_1423.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@Jim I think you would be reading that in the manner it was intended to convey , which is seemingly not entirely truthful it would appear !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It specifically say 600 life cycles "when tested by the NCC" so if they haven't tested it to 600 cycles they are either purposely or inadvertently misleading the public and I am sure we will see an apology for their mistake in the next issue of MMM.

Wont we? OK that will be a NO then.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In the absurdity stakes right up there with the idea that the NCC is anything other than a joke is the idea that MMM exists to provide any kind of public service.

They exist to sell advertising, nothing more. They're never going to print anything that could be interpreted in any way as negative about any product connected with any of their advertisers.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Bent as nine Bob notes...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun