My motorhome plan /comments or suggestions would be appreciated (1 Viewer)

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok hi everyone. I am a single 51 year lady who wishes to change her life style. Just sorting out my home to put on market, my plan being to live in motorhome fulltime. I work full time and will retire in just over 8 years. I plan to park the van in the week at a campsite across the road from my work (they have workers pitchers for £240 per month plus electric) the site appears lovely although the workers pitches are on gravel with no green so basically parking in a carpark. I then intend to travel at weekends until I go full time touring when I retire. No experience of campervans to date. Was thinking of spending c £50k as it will be my full time home, starting looking I think bunk beds at rear best idea as I would use top bunk for storage, seen a hymer 524 I think it was that looked good, want a garage space at back as well any thoughts.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi and welcome!

I like your plan, and £50k will get you a nice MoHo. Do plenty of looking and asking before you commit yourself. Have a look at as many different layouts as you can, as the layout is very important.

If there is a campsite opposite, go have a chat with someone with a MoHo and see what ideas you can glean from that.

A saying is, 'buy your third MoHo first', because, something will be not quite right with the first two. So, looking and speaking with people will help with your search.

Whatever you buy there will be a compromise of some sort, none are perfect.

You are on the right forum so ask as many questions as you wish, someone on here will give you sound advice. Also there is a 'solo motor homers section' for like minded people.

Go for it!

Craig

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

I think your plan is sound, lots of people doing just what you want to. However, have you thought about maintaining a UK address? Life on the road is a lot easier if you have a permanent UK address, on the electoral roll, can produce a utility bill if needed.

As for the motorhome, bunk beds?? NAH! This is your full time home, a good bed for yourself, preferably a fixed bed and a big garage for storage. That would be/is my choice.

Good luck with your plans and don't forget there is so much information to be gleaned from this forum when if comes to buying your van - use it!

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am a fulltimer and what you plan is perfectly doable.

3 things spring immediately to mind though.
1) The first MH you buy will not be perfect for you and you are likely to want to change. If you buy brand new for £50K you are likely to lose a bigger chunk of money than if you buy second hand.
2) Ensure you do move each weekend or so. Don't leave the van static for months on end as the wheels/brakes etc can deterioate. I have experienced this with extended winter stays in one location.
3) Bunk bed is probably not the best idea. I would recommend looking for a decent sized bed that you don't have to make up each night as a bare minimum.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My advice would be to go to a large dealership and take a look round. As has been said, layout is important so think through where you will be going and what you need to store. As you’re going to fulltime in it it will be important to get a fully winterised vehicle.

Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
One final thing...
Ideally you should have the following for fulltime living.
1) proper bed that doesn't need to be made up each night.
2) Dinette area for eating, doing work, laptop use etc. Having a table that fits in a hole in the floor becomes old pretty quickly if you are forever having to put it up and take it down.
3) At least one long sofa that you can lie down on, watch TV, relax etc. Sitting at the dinette in winter can become a major pain point if you don't have somewhere you can relax in.
4) Ideally but not essential a van with a separate show/toilet. Drying out the shower so you can use the toilet is not a problem for holidays. but when you have to do it year round not so much.

These are just my opinion though.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not a lifestyle I have tried but I think payload must be a major issue for full timers. Even us holiday/weekend users can struggle to keep within the legal weight limits of our motorhomes and full timing must involve a lot more kit. Many motorhomes are sold very close to their weight limit, leaving little user payload. Manufacturers payload claims are often misleading because options and extras all eat into it before it even reaches a forecourt. Sometimes the options are not even optional, they just don’t build them without certain packages.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just my take, as others have said why have bunk beds if one is only for storage, far better to have one good bed and a proper storage area , and if you are full timing, consider hiring one for a couple of weeks to get the real feel of what you need, it's to late when you have spent your money ,also 50 grand sounds a lot of money but it's not, in the motorhome game , just go through the threads on here of problems with expensive vans , not trying to scare you but just saying, make doublely sure it's ok , bad enough when it's only holidays you are missing but when it's your only home , you don't want to be living in a dealers yard.
Saying all that, good luck with it there are thousands of people doing it so just take your time, don't rush in to anything.
And just on the money , look around well , don't think that just because one van is 50 grand it must be right , maybe find one loads less than that that is fine.
Another thing, would they let you have a small shed on site where you could store stuff that you don't need all the time in the van.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
nothing wrong with making plans for the future, but why do you want to go full time motorhoming? where will you do it - uk or europe or ....?

50k is a lot to spend when you arent certain about what you want and could prove expensive WHEN (not if) you change your van as there is something not quite working out.

i agree with most of the comments already made inc the advice re getting yourself a decent permanent bed and storage. you will also want to consider whether you need a van that is fully winterised.

go to a few shows and have a poke around, the brand new ones now will be a few years older and a lot cheaper when you do retire and you will get an idea of what you will get for your money

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Another thing, would they let you have a small shed on site where you could store stuff that you don't need all the time in the van.
The small shed could have wheels and look a lot like a box trailer, they are usually acceptable on your pitch. Also a trailer overcomes some payload issues.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A slightly tongue in cheek reply but don't buy new or you could be spending a lot of your time living in it in the dealer's workshop.
I'd certainly go for a model with a fixed bed which will almost certainly have the desirable garage under it (accessible from outside).
As said, having sufficient payload is vital. Manufacturers' literature quotes the payload 'bare', i.e. without extras such a the wind-out awning, extra gas bottle(s), towbar, bicycle carrier etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another view of beds. A drop-down over the cab (most A class vans) is a fixed bed in all but name. If you are comfortable climbing into one they usually have an excellent base & mattress and take up no space when raised. More importantly they don't impact on living space.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I think having a garage is a sound idea, putting heavy stuff on a top bunk bed will heighten the centre of gravity for when you are travelling, so you might end up having to move your stuff anyway.

My tip: is that many motorhome dealers/manufacturers class motorhomes as leisure vehicles, ie not to be lived in full time and may not warrant a vehicle if this is the case. Check the small print of any warranty and decide an informed course of action.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
just to say simsy56 and Lancslass1967
Research is the key, first van we bought was great and had it 5 years till our needs changed.
Good relaxing space, and a fixed bed , also what licence do you hold ok with C1 if not it'll be a test or a 3.5 van watch out for payload too. Love your plans.

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Even if on electric hook up, full timing you are likely to get through a lot of gas.

Two things here, constantly changing cylinders is going to be a pain, and it could be quite expensive.

You have had excellent advice above, but consider installing a system similar to Gaslow, though the outlay initially is expensive, you are likely to save most of it in year 1 if full timing as big savings to be made at the pump.

Good luck with your quest and w2f

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Before you sell your house I would give motorhoming a tryout, just to be sure it's what you want, you have 8 years left before you retire, come winter in the UK it can be miserable in a van. Great if you can overwinter somewhere warmer but that does not seem to be your plan for the next few years. Best to spend a winter in your van before you sell your home, a van will depreciate in value but your house will probably appreciate, in 8 years time you can sell your house with a good appreciation in value which wlll buy you a great van. You could also consider renting out your property for a year or 2 and seeing if full time motorhoming is for you.
Best of luck whatever you do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you soo much for the fabulous replies, thoughts so far after comments and further research :
German build appear to be better for winters in UK
Think about possible gas consumption/alternative system to gas bottles
Will not be buying brand new
Possible rent for holiday before buy
Going to motorhome show Oct 19 nec
Payload ~ need to understand fully, get its based on the weight of contents but don't really understand how you I tell apart from weigh all contents ~need to look into
Bunk beds ~ as a single and happy in enclosed capsule to sleep seemed better use if space as could curtain off top bunk with easy to reach organised storage, woukd be fixed bed with a good mattress, most I have seen have beds either side (not double) and I don't want dead space or sleeping next to a pile of boxes
Have had a look round site and live the idea of the rallys plus 1st viewing on house this weekend xxx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yep Another consideration, I am not expecting living in the van to be any cheaper than livinging in my house, how much do you mean, ball park?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well had a good look round this site and joined, downloaded buying a motorhome guide which should be very useful

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lancslass1967

Lancslass1967

Free Member
Jul 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp