My DIY SOG for under a tenner. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
LaMB

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
Charlie, have a look here:- (Google is my friend! lol)

Any more questions, please come back to me.
My way is just as effective but a fraction of the cost.

Martin

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie, have a look here:- (Google is my friend! lol)

Any more questions, please come back to me.
My way is just as effective but a fraction of the cost.

Martin

Thanks.. I did Google SOG and nothing related came up. SOG kit brings up much more . (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I bought a piece of activated charcoal mat off ebay. It is enough to cut out 6 pieces, but as it is only 1/2" thick, I used two pieces, leaving me another two changes of double thickness, should I ever change it!
Martin
Martin, I picked this thread up late. Do you happen to still have the link for this charcoal mat please, as I am difficulty finding what looks like yours on ebay.

OP
OP
LaMB

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?...id=200980090399&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

I think you will find several on there, I got 18" x 12" and you can cut 6 out of the sheet. However I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, but I have it now so I use it. I think the one from China is the cheapest.

I have now installed a DIY SOG in our Frankia; similar way but as it was a double floor I needed more pipework, and had to use elbows to route it through.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Martin, thanks for that. I was searching for "mat" rather that "sheet", so did not find it. In fact I already have the Thetford extract fan in my Adria (there when I bought it and did not know what it was) but I don't think the filter has been changed since it was sold in 2008. I was looking for something to use as a filter on it, and then I will use it more often.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I have just finished installing a 'SOG', and have put pictures up here:- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/85yx6soe4u5xcec/AADIQdEhPF7JqLYmUXK5YR3ka?dl=0

Hopefully they are self expanatory.

Martin
Mine is all up and running Martin but I think i may have bought the wrong type of fan. It starts off quite slow and builds up speed. It is a 3 wire fan and I have used the red and black for supply and ignored the yellow. Does yours get to full speed from the start? If so do you have a link to the one you bought?
This is the one I bought:
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
LaMB

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
I would have thought that one was ok. Mine had a yellow wire as well. Not sure about start up speed- never really thought about it, or listened. I cannot find the ebay ref for it as it was some time ago now that I bought it.

However I have recently bought this one:-
Broken Link Removed

Just thought it might give an even better flow, but obviously it is almost twice as deep, so will probably need a bit of thought to get it in. Maybe leave the charcoal filter out (not sure it's much use anyway), and/or cut the little supports off, so the fan sits deeper in it's square hole. Something to do another day! lol

For the small amount of money they cost, you could buy a different one and try it; always worth keeping a spare anyway.

Martin

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I would have thought that one was ok. Mine had a yellow wire as well. Not sure about start up speed- never really thought about it, or listened. I cannot find the ebay ref for it as it was some time ago now that I bought it.

However I have recently bought this one:-
Broken Link Removed

Just thought it might give an even better flow, but obviously it is almost twice as deep, so will probably need a bit of thought to get it in. Maybe leave the charcoal filter out (not sure it's much use anyway), and/or cut the little supports off, so the fan sits deeper in it's square hole. Something to do another day! lol

For the small amount of money they cost, you could buy a different one and try it; always worth keeping a spare anyway.

Martin
Thanks for that Martin (y)
I think you only need a small round piece of filter in the "outlet" of the cover plate so that fan should fit OK.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is a fantastic solution and has proved the value of my subscription. It will form part of my "improvement programme" My S.O. always complained about smells of chemicals (whatever brands we tried) We are about to change over to Bio laundry liquid. I will start assembling the parts tomorrow. Many thanks and well done Martin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back