Motorhomes BANNED from Seafront Parking !! (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think that the problem is that there is no 'voice' for MH owners in the UK, as there is in France. The two main 'clubs' wont agitate for anything which may possibly conflict with their main business of running campsites, and that probably includes avoiding upsetting local authorities. What it needs is a concerted drive for the majority of MH owners to join or form something like the Motor Caravanners Club, until it has enough members to be taken seriously, and push internally for it to become a major lobbying force. But the British aren't like that.

Malcolm

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I parked overnight and paid £12. 24 hour limit.
However if you are a blue badge holder free parking and no time limit.
My neighbour had been there a week.
Dont mind free parking but we should all have the same time limit.
i don't see why disabled should not pay. quite right to provide spaces but disabled does not mean poor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I don't see that you wouldn't be allowed to if you mean literally just park and go for a walk or go shopping. However, to some people "parking" is sitting there cooking dinner, TV on Seats turned round and a couple of chairs outside, so hardly the same as a Ducato in parcel van mode.

Personally I think that the blame falls at the feet of the scumbags that abuse the system rather than the Councils that are trying to find a compromise as this Council is obviously doing

I have a motorhome, but that doesn't mean that I agree or condone many of the scumbaggy things that I see people do whilst I am out and about on my travels but If I think that Exmouth seafront is an eyesore at times, I wonder what the visitors, rate payers and local business's think?

Great post. If this type of scumbag practice continues then it won't be long before we're all restricted to caravan & motorhome parks.

I already have my C&MC membership in place so I'm all sorted.

Cheers,

Andrew

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think that the problem is that there is no 'voice' for MH owners in the UK, Malcolm
And there are simply not enough of us to have any impact

2,000,000 or so cars registered last year and about 12,000 motorhomes

This is why the some dealers get away with blue murder

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think that the problem is that there is no 'voice' for MH owners in the UK, as there is in France. The two main 'clubs' wont agitate for anything which may possibly conflict with their main business of running campsites, and that probably includes avoiding upsetting local authorities. What it needs is a concerted drive for the majority of MH owners to join or form something like the Motor Caravanners Club, until it has enough members to be taken seriously, and push internally for it to become a major lobbying force. But the British aren't like that.

Malcolm

You don't see rubbish on aires in France or litter on the streets and hardly any along the side of major roads,,,just look at the UK,,,,Different standards,,,BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
i don't see why disabled should not pay. quite right to provide spaces but disabled does not mean poor

Fully agree,,being disabled doesn't make you poor,,,BUSBY,,

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So don’t you think that Schengen led to ( amongst other things) the Calais jungle?

The whole thing is a disaster. Just think how many border controls these freaks used to have to get through before getting to France.

We have our home grown nut jobs of course but mainland Europe is a mess at the moment.
The UK is a bigger mess
You don't see rubbish on aires in France or litter on the streets and hardly any along the side of major roads,,,just look at the UK,,,,Different standards,,,BUSBY..
That's the British attitude

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You don't see rubbish on aires in France or litter on the streets

Yes you do. Litter and urine on French streets has always been a big problem with lots of mayors elected on the promise of sorting it out. In many cities there are illuminated signs to remind you not to pee in the street. In many cities dog shit is under every footstep.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The UK is a bigger mess

Do you really think so?

Lord knows how many terrorist cells are operative in mainland Europe bolstered by the free movement of Syrians et al into Germany and from Germany to wherever they like.

Thank God for the Channel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yes you do. Litter and urine on French streets has always been a big problem with lots of mayors elected on the promise of sorting it out. In many cities there are illuminated signs to remind you not to pee in the street. In many cities dog shit is under every footstep.

I have obviously been visiting the wrong cities or looking at France through rose tinted glasses,,,Not my experience at all,,,same in Germany,,BUSBY..:xgrin:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Do you really think so?

Lord knows how many terrorist cells are operative in mainland Europe bolstered by the free movement of Syrians et al into Germany and from Germany to wherever they like.

Thank God for the Channel
Our "Wall" Yet Trump is a racist for wanting one lol

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
We are a small overcrowded, grey, worn out island. In view of the brexit shinnanikins, let us all hope we don't get pelted with stones as we drive around yonder on the other side of the channel.
Happy Christmas anyway.(it'll soon all be over).

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Just spent a few days in Devon & Cornwall . We spent two nights on the carpark at Appledore . £ 5 per night nice and quiet sea views . I was walking the dog when a motorhome pulled on the driver saw I had just
left our van , and said have you bought a ticket . Yes I replied only for him to say don't be daft the warden gets here about 8.30am just be gone and save £5 .
With people like this about is it any wonder councils take the hump and
ban us .
I quite agree,and there are plenty of them own mo/ho’s unfortunately.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Sadly, things are a changing over here too, with Mucky Dee's and their similar fast food outlets forever increasing we too now see their packaging discarded through the windows of cars many kilometers from their outlets. Fly tipping is on the increase I suspect, but don't know for certain that much of this is the P&O builders we have flitting about these parts. Brits ripping off Brits, we're such a grand lot aren't we?

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
In many cities dog shit is under every footstep.

When i first visited Paris I could not believe the dog mess I was told that there was 2 dogs to every child in Paris I cant say that is true but there was 10 times more sh1t than kids for sure

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Getting very muc
When i first visited Paris I could not believe the dog mess I was told that there was 2 dogs to every child in Paris I cant say that is true but there was 10 times more sh1t than kids for sure
Getting very much like that in UK,,,FAR more dogs than years ago,,bit of a fashion statement if you look at the breeds. Have you noticed that on a sunny day you see lots of people walking their dogs,,where are they all when its cold and wet??? dogs need exercise every day,,,BUSBY,,

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
This thread is people ranting because a council have moved permitted parking for motorhomes from one location to 3 other locations with improved facilities

E61DA79C-0FE2-4549-AE7D-DD6BF278CD32.jpeg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
every ware i go it's getting the same another reason to give up motorhoming
bill

We've only been at the sport for 15-months and we can already see that things are changing for motorhomers.

I don't want to say that the best years are over but I do think that the next 20-years will be a lot different from the previous 20.

All the best,

Andrew

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not sure you can park there anymore ?

We live in East Devon and have been motorhomers for many years and living where we do have visited many of the coastal towns in the Southwest. The issue of parking has loomed it's ugly head on more than one occasion.
However, for many years parking at the eastern end of Exmouth's extensive sea front has been straight forward as there are hundreds of spaces facing the sea and therefore is a popular spot for motorhomes and campers alike, even following a price increase a few years ago, now around £10 a day, the same as cars.
If you know the area you will know the orientation of the spaces mean that there would often be an overhang of the pavement which is at least 15' wide, so of little or no consequence, and parked within the lines you take up no more room than a car.
However, compounding the commonly found attitude to motorhomes in the UK, the East Devon Council has seen fit to table a proposal to BAN motorhomes and campervan from parking on the seafront. They propose that spaces be provided elsewhere in carparks.
The UK is so far behind the continent in understanding the principle that visitors spend money and this demonstrates the peewit mentality these so called councillors are blessed with. A space is a space and when I am parked in my 7.5m motorhome on the seafront I actually take up no more room than a Smart car! But now I am not aloud to because I am a motorhome! You park there because of the view and the immediate proximity to the beach so will I still go if I am banished to the back end of a carpark looking at the wheelie bins, bit of a no brainer really.

It gets better ................ as 30 of the proposed spaces will have a size limit of 5.3m ! YES, you read that correctly 5.3m ! I rest my case ......... peewit mentality.

Follow this link to read more:

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/camper-vans-banned-exmouth-seafront-879672

I find this really quite amazing and fail to understand their thinking process that will actually result in a negative flow of visitors, myself included, for no good reason other than not liking motorhomes!

Pass this on if you have a useful platform, we, on the other hand, will be off to France or Spain or somewhere where we can park in thousands of towns, usually for nothing, stay 2 or 3 days and spend lots of euros in the local economy ........ not Exmouth, where the council have decided that their blue sky thinking will attract more visitors by banning motorhomes .............. nearly speechless but not quite!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back