Motorhomes BANNED from Seafront Parking !! (1 Viewer)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Check out the Great Britain Tourism Survey some of which has been distilled down by Pitchup. There have allso been surveys by the NCC in conjunction with the main Clubs but I cannot find these at the moment. The latest survey I'm aware of was done by CamPra. The information is out there if you search for it.
ezee
Oh I don't doubt tourism is a big revenue generator. Pitchup and campra are somewhat biased and have such a small study group quizzing the converted.

I do not believe that people who overnight on Exmouth Promenade for free spend £50 to £60 pounds a day on average.

In fact, if you read the sausage thread about what people normally take to France its amazing that some spend anything at all :giggler:

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Pitchup used the very comprehensive survey data from GBTS which puts touring caravan and motorhome spending at £40 per person per night in 2019. I think that is all in and includes site fees. Take you site fees away from £80 and the external spend in Taunton would be round about the £60 per day? Why should people not spend that kind of money when overnighting on a car park? A meal in a pub for two with drinks would pretty much slaughter that.
ezee

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yet despite them being 'cash cow's no one wants them?

And I dispute the figures as unproven to be honest

Yet despite that we are on the same side, I'd love to see Aires in the UK I just think using money generation as the argument is wrong as I am not convinced that free campers spend much in the areas they stay in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I live at Taunton and regularly go to Exmouth taking our dog for a good run on the beach

The number of motorhomes parked overhanging the pavements, generators running, tables and chairs place "aggressively" to protect the space around/outside the motorhome, steps, chocks, parasols and yes a slime running to the gutter where the grey water has been trickling out for some days, water tanks, bikes, wet suits, surf boards, you name it its there

I have always owned a motorhome since I was 28 years old and I am now 56, I have travelled extensively throughout the UK and Europe, staying in campsites, Aires and wild camped

What I regularly see at Exmouth is many people taking the p155

I work on motorhomes for a living, I can tell at a glance who has parked for the afternoon to enjoy the view and who has been there for a few days and are marking their "spot"

No wonder people complain, at times it looks like a refugee camp. So instead of banning motorhomes altogether the Council are being amazingly considerate in my opinion, and doing exactly what so many on the forum complain that Local Councils "won't do"

This is what Exmouth Council are proposing from Easter 2018 after stopping motorhomes parking adjacent to the beach:-

To offer overnight camper van and motorhome parking in Exmouth for short stays of up to 3 nights as follows:

1. To offer up to 30 pitches for motorcaravans in our current Queens Drive Echelon car park (up to a maximum vehicle length of 5.3m to avoid overhang into the carriageway).

2. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Imperial Recreation Ground car park

3. To offer up to 20 pitches for motorcaravans in Maer Road car park.

4. To consider the feasibility of offering services including: drinking water, waste water disposal and sewage disposal (in one or more of our toilet blocks) and sufficient refuse and recycling facilities located close to the pitches

This sounds exactly what we would like to find in any town, so we should be applauding Exmouth council not castigating them
I think I own one of the few vans that could use that new facility,,Only swb vans could actually park there...BUSBY.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
The only thing I would dispute is the figure, but that is from my own point of view and experience of using French Aires, mainly because I have mostly used them for night halts only. On the occasions I have stayed more than one night I have spent considerably more than £60 when you take into account the trip to the supermarket for supplies (wine) and coffees and cakes.
Scotland seems to be picking up swiftly on the Aires front.
ezee

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Wisbech has attracted people that live in caravans for years . It is a long walk to the beach unfortunately.
It does have an inland marina on the River Nene though I wouldn’t recommend swimming there.... there are quite a number of sites in the vicinity for people travelling in caravans but I wouldn’t suggest you try looking them up on the ‘club sites’! 😂🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back