Motorhomers dumping waste in Murcia (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In the past, I have emptied my loo (without nasty chemicals) down manholes many, many times.

The manholes I have used have ALL been sewers, NOT rain water ones.

I doubt any one has ever seen me do it...

If anyone on here thinks that it disgusting then I feel sorry for them.

JJ :cool:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There must be a business opportunity for someone to modify a tanker and go around these places selling water and collecting all the wastes of every description. They could issue a receipt and if the police check and the campers can show they have been using the service they would be left in peace.
Good lord ! If these wild campers don't use Aires where they may have to pay, surely they wouldn't dip into their very deep pockets with their very short arms to pay for that kind of service...are you mad !!?? Lol ..lols..just an idle thought .

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I asked in the campsite just before you turn off for Isla Plana if I could empty my cassette, the answer was no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In the past, I have emptied my loo (without nasty chemicals) down manholes many, many times.

How do you know which are sewers and which are water drains ? serious not taking the proverbial,,,BUSBY.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You know what! If this really is a big issue for the local community and not a scare (but true story) being promoted by campsite owners in the area. Don't you think action would have been taken ? I know the plod have moved on motorhomers in the Agulis area and stopped parking in parts of Castellon, so they can act when they feel the need to and IMO if this has become a big problem they would simply be moved out. The practise of emptying cassettes down sewer covers in this location will have been going on for years. I'm not convinced that everything you read in the papers is a true reflection of what is happening on the ground, so to speke.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There must be a business opportunity for someone to modify a tanker and go around these places selling water and collecting all the wastes of every description.

At Tafroute there is a regular water tanker. About £3 to fill your tank.

But the Moroccans are not so squeamish about where the black waste is dumped.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
At Tafroute there is a regular water tanker. About £3 to fill your tank.

But the Moroccans are not so squeamish about where the black waste is dumped.
LOL Bryan, many would chuck their guts up if they saw the Cassette dump in Tafroute. Does not stop Funsters from returning year after year. No doubt, all will be classed as freeloading tossers by the political brigade now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
LOL Bryan, many would chuck their guts up if they saw the Cassette dump in Tafroute..

I saw worse in Mekness. The official hole in the floor toilet for dumping, the floor was coated in some marbled substance I was reluctant to step on but a man has to do what a man has to do.

Everyone shouting out loud about dumping waste seem to overlook that on around 90% of the Earth's land mass the little and not so little furry creatures all fail to "pick up" after themselves.

Just look at any rural road in UK, horses and cows are so anti-social.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
How do you know which are sewers and which are water drains ? serious not taking the proverbial,,,BUSBY.
its written on the tops or cast in the metal. saniamento. or something like that .
in portugal escosses ,or something .

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006

It perhaps isn't disgusting, but it could be seen as theft.
The (sewer) manholes and their associated running costs you use have been paid for by the rates (or equivalent) of the local residents.

Everyone shouting out loud about dumping waste seem to overlook that on around 90% of the Earth's land mass the little and not so little furry creatures all fail to "pick up" after themselves.

One problem that perhaps isn't examined enough is that human waste is much more contaminated. When I think of the different drugs I take to keep me alive, and what happens to them (or their metabolites) when they leave my body, I wonder what effect they have - especially if they aren't properly neutralised by waste treatment plants. Further, the pathogens carried by our waste may be much more harmful - targeted - to humans.

I am a great proponent of "wild" camping, but what's being described in this thread is not that - it's vandalism, theft and disrespect.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I have emptied the cassette at 5-6 campsites having offered to pay and had responses from 'Nothing' (but we left some Belgian Chocs), to 'What you like in the Charity box', to £3/5(incl. water fill)

I have never been refused. I never go on campsites, so if they answered like that I would just take my 'the offer of my custom' elsewhere. [Boringfrog did not say whether he offered to pay - may make a difference]

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You know what! If this really is a big issue for the local community and not a scare (but true story) being promoted by campsite owners in the area. Don't you think action would have been taken ? I know the plod have moved on motorhomers in the Agulis area and stopped parking in parts of Castellon, so they can act when they feel the need to and IMO if this has become a big problem they would simply be moved out. The practise of emptying cassettes down sewer covers in this location will have been going on for years. I'm not convinced that everything you read in the papers is a true reflection of what is happening on the ground, so to speke.

Well it would not have been started by the local site Los Madrilles because that is full all winter...Always used to be a problem in Isla Plana near the Social until they built the flats,,,used to be up to 40 vans parked there in the winter for weeks on end,,,blocking the residents views,,BUSBY,,

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I think knowing the difference between sewers and rainwater/ Road water covers would be useful knowledge in any country we’re likely to visit. We have seen evidence of dumped toilet waste just yards from a service point. Really poor behaviour by anyone’s standards surely. If it was happening in your home town surely you’d feel outraged?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
They are marked on the cover...

ESCOTAS = sewers.

Pluvias = rain water.

Electricade = electricity.

Thanks,,will write that down,,,BUSBY,,

Reactions: JJ

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
But I pay rates here in Portugal.
I pay rates here near Wigan, that does not entitle me to water from a tap in London, or to put waste in someone else's bin in Portsmouth. I know people do that, but it's not how it's supposed to work.
To exaggerate, imagine if all the "wildcampers" decided to use your local sewage facilities by lifting your nearest manhole cover. It could soon become apparent that your existing waste treatment facilities are becoming overwhelmed, and the local conselho could decide that they need you to cough up for the improvement. There's always a straw that breaks the camel's back.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I pay rates here near Wigan, that does not entitle me to water from a tap in London, or to put waste in someone else's bin in Portsmouth. I know people do that, but it's not how it's supposed to work.
To exaggerate, imagine if all the "wildcampers" decided to use your local sewage facilities by lifting your nearest manhole cover. It could soon become apparent that your existing waste treatment facilities are becoming overwhelmed, and the local conselho could decide that they need you to cough up for the improvement. There's always a straw that breaks the camel's back.

Oh please...

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
What amazes me about this forum is the arguments that flair up and the daft comments. If I use a loo in London I wash my hands from one of their taps. If I’m parked in Portugal or Lisbon for that matter I put my rubbish in a bin. That’s social behaviour. This thread was about anti social behaviour. Get a grip.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
In Portugal the bins are for everyone
Is it not more accurate to say "the PUBLIC bins are for everyone"? As they are here - though I have seen bins with a notice asking that you please don't put household waste in - they are not intended for that.

BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to pose an alternative perspective.

Get a grip.
Methinks some others need to "get a grip" - on the realities of life, of being "social".

A loo in London provides for it's specific use of water. Just ask the responsible authority how they'd feel about you (and innumerable others) taking 100 litres at a time.

Public bins are provided for small ad-hoc disposals. Again, ask the competent authority how they'd feel if you dumped your household rubbish into a public bin.

This is a failing I hear many times from "freeloaders" (as opposed to wild campers): "I'm only here for a short time - I'm only emptying my bin into the litter bin, that's what it's for. &c." plainly ignoring the fact that it's not "just them", it's an incessant stream of like-minded people, and the locals are rightly getting pee'd off. It's too easy for us to assume that anti MH regulations are being enacted solely on the behest of local campsite owners.

I have been saying for years that motorhoming is becoming a socially unacceptable pastime, and I maintain that it's because there are too many "nouveau motorhomers", they have heard what a free lifestyle we have, and take it too far - they are "entitled".

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
What amazes me about this forum is the arguments that flair up and the daft comments. If I use a loo in London I wash my hands from one of their taps. If I’m parked in Portugal or Lisbon for that matter I put my rubbish in a bin. That’s social behaviour. This thread was about anti social behaviour. Get a grip.

Washing your hands is not the same as filling a 100 litre motorhome tank up,,,BUSBY..

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Okay - I admit it. I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and was uncharacteristically irritated. I have now had a coffee and can step back and leave you all to argue the pros and cons of water and waste. However, I stand by my comment that there is an ultra-mean tendency in some motorhomers abroad and it's a bit unpleasant to be associated with it. Happy Saturday evening folks!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is it not more accurate to say "the PUBLIC bins are for everyone"? As they are here - though I have seen bins with a notice asking that you please don't put household waste in - they are not intended for that.

No it is not more accurate.

In an earlier life I worked with a Portuguese company for nearly 20 years.

We had (and still have) a tippy bin. Each week this bin is emptied. The bin belongs to the company but we can NOT stop anyone from putting their rubbish in it, just as when it is full, we can put our excess into the nearest bin we can find.

Not all countries are the same as the UK (thank goodness ;)).

No perspective needed on this one. :whistle:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Its local for me, I will take a look this morning, 100 is possible, and in Puerto de Mazarron behind Lidl last week 40 or 50 parked on the streets at 7am, and that's no beach location, just a free night, week or month.

Well I did take a look, it looked like behind LIDL in Puerto de Mazarron had been attended too....no motorhomes at 0900.....when I passed again at 1230 it had started to fill,not by visitors to Lidl I believe, as that had 14 vans in and around its carpark, doing shopping I suppose.
However the areas around La Azohia were the fullest I have seen this winter, a large French (Bless them) gathering could be seen adding to the already swelling numbers. In excess of 100, without doubt. 40 vans in the Rambla alone, but close enough to the harbour for the cassette cleaning requirements if they cannot find the right manhole cover.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
It is wrong to dump waste anywhere not specific - but a lot of people enjoy swimming in the sea dread to think how much crap gets pumped out there and it is not all treated waste

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't understand how they can't use a proper aire to dispose of waste and refill ...there are plenty about and mostly free ....although sometimes you have to go further inland.
I guess because I'm travelling alone have large tanks and 2 cassettes I don't have to do that quite as often. But to be honest I can't see the appeal of staying in the one spot for weeks or months at a time whether it's wildcamping or on a site. There's lovely places but you can see most of a town in a day or two and then move on. I stayed a week in Valencia city and on that occasion I did use a sewer drain but I hasten to add that I was shown that drain by the workmen who were laying pipes on that section of road. The rest of the time ive used official aires and ill do the same in a few days time .with apps like park4night and searchforsites etc it's pretty easy to find an aire with services even if only a paid one.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This annoys me though ...i pulled in to a nice spot on the beach earlier in denia where parking has been tolerated , it's quiet and near a restaurant and shops and an easy walk in to the town. But sadly the police are clamping down and moving people in the evening. But still you get idiots doing this right in front of the restaurant so everyone suffers
20180221_130522.jpg
20180221_135242.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back