Motorcycle fatality (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's been proven time and again per millions of.miles driven autonomous cars are safer.

Put it this way they aren't made to take driving tests again when they are old. :LOL:
Superficially, yes. But autonomous cars also drive in the easy situations like on motorways. And they bail out and ask the driver to take control when they are uncertain. So they are better at the easy stuff. They work great for assistance systems.

As the trials with the state of the art stuff in silicon valley are proving, they're still pretty bad overall, even when limited to very small areas. And progress is slowing, not accelerating.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Pretty sure a human wouldn't think, they'd just make a reflex action to avoid hitting the hard thing. There's plenty of examples of drivers swerving onto the pavement to avoid accidents and taking out peds.

But you and others were extolling the virtues of the hi tech cars.

I’m merely pointing out they may not make the best decisions all the time 🤷‍♂️

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I had a massive crash exiting Edwina's at Mallory 2007.
Hit the tyre wall very hard.
The missus was there and I got blue lights ambulance to hospital.
Loads broken and in a wheelchair 5 months.

She couldn't wait to see me back on track and poo pooed her pals when they asked if she'd stop me riding.

Still track riding now.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I had a massive crash exiting Edwina's at Mallory 2007.
Hit the tyre wall very hard.
The missus was there and I got blue lights ambulance to hospital.
Loads broken and in a wheelchair 5 months.

She couldn't wait to see me back on track and poo pooed her pals when they asked if she'd stop me riding.

Still track riding now.
Proper track riding is safer than any road...the fact that you are all mad as hatters anyway :LOL: but still doesn't make it more dangerous than some of the the fools on the road

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Superficially, yes. But autonomous cars also drive in the easy situations like on motorways. And they bail out and ask the driver to take control when they are uncertain. So they are better at the easy stuff. They work great for assistance systems.

As the trials with the state of the art stuff in silicon valley are proving, they're still pretty bad overall, even when limited to very small areas. And progress is slowing, not accelerating.
google pulled back their autonomous Waymo (by Alphabet inc) a bit back I believe, and it had been running a fair while

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
It's by far the best bike I've ever ridden, thought the Duke was good but this is like a Rolls Royce 🤩 Join my group on Facebook "The new CB750 Hornet Group" 😊
You should have bought a bigger Duke. 😎
IMG_6317.jpeg

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
My Tesla (soon to go back to lease company booooo!!) detected a woman stepping off the path in front of me as I pulled away from a junction (she wasn’t crossing the dotted line by the way ) .

I’d already clocked her but the car is super sensitive to small obstacles (too much in some cases )

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My Tesla (soon to go back to lease company booooo!!) detected a woman stepping off the path in front of me as I pulled away from a junction (she wasn’t crossing the dotted line by the way ) .

I’d already clocked her but the car is super sensitive to small obstacles (too much in some cases )
done the same to me as wrote here a few times, and swerved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Why did I read this thread when darling daughter is coming home from London on Saturday on the back of her boyfriend’s bike because of the bloody train strike. It’s her first “long” ride. They would have rearranged but we’re off for 2 months. Having worked in A&E many moons ago I am not a fan!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Many thousands of miles, for both myself and my wife (on her own bike), travelling all over Europe…..not giving it up anytime soon.

My wife used to be a nurse in Orthopaedics so saw her fair share of what can happen….never put her off.

👍

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Why did I read this thread when darling daughter is coming home from London on Saturday on the back of her boyfriend’s bike because of the bloody train strike. It’s her first “long” ride. They would have rearranged but we’re off for 2 months. Having worked in A&E many moons ago I am not a fan!

It’ll be fine, she might even catch forty winks 😉😊

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ann's first husband worked in a hospital and he said to her "for God's sake never get on a motorcycle, I've seen the injuries"

Well she divorced that idiot and had many happy 2 wheel journeys with me 😍. I suppose if you work in the industry you will see the problems.

Don't worry about Saturday, the risk is small for one journey, even if the rider is a bit of an idiot 😊

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Ann's first husband worked in a hospital and he said to her "for God's sake never get on a motorcycle, I've seen the injuries"

Well she divorced that idiot and had many happy 2 wheel journeys with me 😍. I suppose if you work in the industry you will see the problems.

Don't worry about Saturday, the risk is small for one journey, even if the rider is a bit of an idiot 😊
Claire is 33 and her boyfriend is older, she spent 2 and 1/2 years in Bangladesh over Covid with the FCDO but she’s still my baby!! She drove a car round Dhaka so I do realise my fears are out of proportion to the actual risk but they are still there. Blasted Jeremy Clarkson and his organ donor comment :giggle: :giggle:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If the woman had been alert it wouldn't have happened. I think I'd sooner rely on the Tesla. A lot seem to think that the test whether technology is advantageous is whether it's perfect. When you think about it the test is really is it better than the average human.
It’s funny but I think the human brain is one of the best anti collision computers,
if not where do all the Ai’s get their programming from.🤣

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
There was a example where the car decided it was better to plough into pedestrians than crash the car.

I think it was a simulation 🤔

Not sure that’s better than a human decision 🤷‍♂️
I think that story lost something in the telling...

There was a lot in the media about how autonomous cars would make impossible choices, in essence The Trolley Dilemma.
If an accident is going to happen do you choose to kill one to save five?
What if that one was a child or family member?
There many variations

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think that story lost something in the telling...

There was a lot in the media about how autonomous cars would make impossible choices, in essence The Trolley Dilemma.
If an accident is going to happen do you choose to kill one to save five?
What if that one was a child or family member?
There many variations
How much better if due to all cars being autonomous that the choice never has to be made. I doubt if there is time to weigh up those choices about killing one or five as the accident happens

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
How much better if due to all cars being autonomous that the choice never has to be made.

In some situations it would matter if all vehicles were autonomous.

Car driving along the road and a vehicle suddenly stops on its left.

Pavement has pedestrians on it, vehicle coming in opposite direction so no room to proceed.

What does the car do where the vehicle suddenly stopped.

Hit the back of the vehicle, hit the vehicle coming towards it or mount the path?

I’ve no idea what would happen but I know what I would do.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In some situations it would matter if all vehicles were autonomous.

Car driving along the road and a vehicle suddenly stops on its left.

Pavement has pedestrians on it, vehicle coming in opposite direction so no room to proceed.

What does the car do where the vehicle suddenly stopped.

Hit the back of the vehicle, hit the vehicle coming towards it or mount the path?

I’ve no idea what would happen but I know what I would do.
Why would a vehicle suddenly stop and why would the autonomous car be going fast enough not to stop. The reason people are making the decision to either hit one thing or another is the poor judgement they have made on leaving enough room to stop!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Mechanical issue, dog running across the road many reasons.
But how can it stop quicker than the car behind unless the one behind is going too fast or too close to stop. It's an example where the driver behind has given themself a problem because of their own poor driving decisions which the autonomous car would not have done. As I said in a previous post considering if autonomous cars are a good thing doesn't require comparing an autonomous car to the best driver it requires a comparison to the average driver. I suspect that the biggest cause of accidents is poor driving especially driving at innapropriate speeds (possibly because they think they're a better driver than they are) , driving while distracted ( mobile phone,kids,lost etc) or driving too close. Autononmous cars should be immune from most of those scenarios.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
But how can it stop quicker than the car behind unless the one behind is going too fast or too close to stop. It's an example where the driver behind has given themself a problem because of their own poor driving decisions which the autonomous car would not have done. As I said in a previous post considering if autonomous cars are a good thing doesn't require comparing an autonomous car to the best driver it requires a comparison to the average driver. I suspect that the biggest cause of accidents is poor driving especially driving at innapropriate speeds (possibly because they think they're a better driver than they are) , driving while distracted ( mobile phone,kids,lost etc) or driving too close. Autononmous cars should be immune from most of those scenarios.

I think you missed the bit in my post where I was saying they were all autonomous vehicles 😉😊

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
What happens then if a car coming in the opposite direction has a blow out and veers towards you? The car is too close for the AI to stop it so presumably your car would take avoiding action, possibly preferring the "soft" footpath to a head on collision with the other car.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Don't want to go against him or you on this but I find that tough to swallow and am calling g him out as a little BS from someone...maybe even to him from someone else.
One of the comments I made when. I got smashed in the back was if she was driving a tesla it wouldn't have happened.
On autopilot it would have stopped...and if she was driving overriding autopilot it beeps and judder like bloody hell. But will carry on if you insist.

So 2 things...one it wasnt the cars fault and 2 the car driver ignored the warnings.

Teslas don't look for lights they see objects and they clearly show a motorbike or pedestrian in the way on the screens that can be analysed .

Who did the investigation and analysis of the tesla...they can't just rock up and dive in... they have to have permission from them and I think also tesla. Gdpr and all that.

but I do agree it's not to be relied on yet...I think most would agree.

Same as a woman driving to work putting make up on isn't.
Teslas on auto are killing motor bikers in USA,
Do an internet search, its not fake news.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back