Mosel Meet. (2 Viewers)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
we are heading for the Mosel late August, first time for us ,would like to see the Rhine in flames also. Nothing planned as yet for itineries

GraSue

Free Member
Apr 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2000
We have been on the Mosel for the last 10 days.

About 28 degrees every day, no mossies, not even any need to pull the door fly screen on.
Currently at one of our favourite stops at Minhiem, big pitches right by the river for 7.40€. Hard standings for the camper with grass at the side. Perfect!

Loads of spaces free, even on the front row by the river, although it would be totally different in September, when you have to move early to get a place.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave you mentioned in another thread having to return to the UK ..any idea about when you will be returning to Germany..Mosel?

We are hoping also to travel along that route shortly and sounds great to meet up with you and other funsters there
Kath

We have a ferry booked back to the UK on 17 of this month. I have two ebikes to pick up and get the van cleaned. Then hopefully back out second week of July. We will travel the opposite way round than this trip so as to take advantage of cheap fuel in Luxembourg. So, it will be a stellplats near Trier first, then slowly moving towards Koblenz. The plan is, to do all the stellplats, staying between 2 and 4 nights on each, but am afraid that once Pat gets back on this one at Reil she will not want to move.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Anyone near the Mosel at the moment?

If I was any nearer I would need wellingtons :).
Reil 004.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've not long been back from 6 weeks in Germany and loved it. If folk are getting together next year we'd be interested.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are heading to the Model as we speak, not sure where to stay yet, we'll be there tomorrow.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We are heading over the water at the end of August for 10ish days, may join you. The stellplatz look lovely.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Sorry I cannot help with campsites as the only campsite we use in Germany is Munich. The Stellplats system is second to non, so to be honest I do not see any need to pay extortionate campsite fees. The Stellplats that we have been on for a week at Reil is 8 Euros per night including unlimited free wifi and all pitches are on the river edge. If you require hookup, that is another 2 Euros per night. There is a lovely river promenade in the village with bars, restaurants and wineries in abundance. Enjoy your trip as am sure you will.
What is the nearest town please?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave your making it sound very tempting. x

You know you want to do it Carol. Eddy will just go along with what you tell him :).
Anyway, I know you will just love those lazy boat trips up and down the river, hoping on and off just as it suits.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I forgot to say, as the river bus stops in Reil, it is handy for cruising up or down the river. Have seen many taking there bikes on board as the cycle track runs all along the Mosel. So, if you cycle out one way, you can catch the boat back. Perfect
Reil Meel 003.JPG

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We have a ferry booked back to the UK on 17 of this month. I have two ebikes to pick up and get the van cleaned. Then hopefully back out second week of July. We will travel the opposite way round than this trip so as to take advantage of cheap fuel in Luxembourg. So, it will be a stellplats near Trier first, then slowly moving towards Koblenz. The plan is, to do all the stellplats, staying between 2 and 4 nights on each, but am afraid that once Pat gets back on this one at Reil she will not want to move.
Trier pictures https://techno.smugmug.com/Travel/Germany/Trier/

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We will be heading over at the end of July for 2 weeks, where should we head to as a start/finish?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We will be heading over at the end of July for 2 weeks, where should we head to as a start/finish?

I suppose Trier is as good as anywhere to start, then just follow the river in the direction of Koblenz. Personally I have not used a sat nav or map on this trip as the stellplats are every 3 or 4 miles along the route.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
After the fantastic time we have had here on the Mosel during the last 6 weeks, we have decided to return in July for a couple of months.
I was wondering if anyone was interested in a meet here. If so, I could get it organised. Stellplats are around 8 Euros per night with the seventh night free, so no silly campsite fees. All Stellplats are on the river bank and on cycle tracks. BBQs and hog roasts can be arranged on the one we are on at Reil with abundant free wine tasting tours for the wine lovers.
We're booked in for the upton blues festival in july, but after that fingers xed we are free to wander that way for a few weeks.sounds good.

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
We would be interested in next year. Used to live in Germany but didn't have a MH then so it would be nice to go back and see it from another angle. Moselle and Rhine valleys are lovely.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We would be interested in next year. Used to live in Germany but didn't have a MH then so it would be nice to go back and see it from another angle. Moselle and Rhine valleys are lovely.
Mosel is quiet Rhine is loud. A significant difference but must try both. If anyone wants an explanation go for it?

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
You are right Techno. Moselle (Mosel) is quieter and, to some, much more romantic. Vineyards line the river in stretches and, to my mind, the wine is sweeter and easier to drink :D. Small villages and castles are in abundance and the locals are friendly and helpful. The Rhine (Rhein) is, in parts a little more industrial except the Mittelrhein which is green and lush and, again, lined with vineyards. Remember to listen out for the Lorelei and don't forget to join in a tour of the Asbach distillery in Rudeshein am Rhein. Koblenz, Trier, Cologne and the other cities on the way have some spectacular churches and other architecture to keep everyone happy. Lots of river cruises going on along each of the rivers but the local cafes and restaurants never seemed to be too busy.
This post has just whetted our appetite for going over next year!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The noise comes from the barge engines. The Rhine is of course a river so barges have to contend with the current and going against it is very noisy. On the other hand the Mosel is a river turned into a canal, a canalised river. It took the construction of 27 locks over very many years to achieve this. Driving shipping is relatively sedate in comparison. Then the Rhine has a freight railway carrying thousands of cars etc and the sound of this echoing off the valley walls is around the clock.

EDIT
If you happen to park at the bus park stellplatz in Koblenz you will find on the walk into town a fish climb/museum/exhibit where you can watch the fish pass through avoiding the hazards and the whole history of the Mosel. This is all predominantly in English. about €6 I think and good value

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So, this rolling meet is looking like a goer as there seems a bit of interest. We hope to be leaving the UK on or around the 17 July, just before the schools break up and ferry prices rocket. I think Dover-Dunkirk will suit us best and travel via Luxembourg to take advantage of the cheaper fuel. Am looking for suggestions of a Stellplatz in or near Trier to start with as we have not stayed in Trier as yet all suggestions are most welcome. As we move up the Mosel we will post on which Stellplatz we are on for those leaving at a later date.
As any of the "Benidorm Dinners" know there are some great days out and deals to be had when there are a few numbers present as long as someone is not afraid to ask, I never had a problem with this :).
This should be a good introduction for those that have never used the Stellplatz system and also a great time to be had by the old school. We are looking forward to this with gusto.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The stellplatz in my gallery posted earlier is absolutely fine and about 15 minutes walk from town Main Street
It’s another of those that is split into a campsite and motorhome platz
CA_07271416115179-X2.jpg

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The stellplatz in my gallery posted earlier is absolutely fine and about 15 minutes walk from town Main Street
It’s another of those that is split into a campsite and motorhome platz
CA_07271416115179-X2.jpg

That looks absolutely fine Andy, we should be there around the 18/20 July, possibly staying a few days and as I said earlier we will post as and when we move on. For those not leaving until September, we will be on this trip until the end of September, taking in the Rhine in flames at St Goer and staying on the Stellplatz at Bingen so as to take the boat trip down to see the firework display from the river. For anyone that would be interested in Munich, we will be moving on to Munich at the end of September for a few days before heading down to Geneva.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back