Morocco 2016 - Any changed minds? (2 Viewers)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Don't want to sound flippant but you can blow yourself up with a shitty boiler, but certain precautions, as with travel, should be taken, even then you never know, life is a risk but we still take chances don't we!

I still belive we are at more risk from terrorists in here west yorkshire or London Birmingham and so on Than Morocco
but if we don't feel comfortable with the situation when we get down southern Spain we won't be going
The plan so far is we are going but we will be avoided big city's just the same as you would not get me into central London or Paris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Threat levels from the horses mouth .. Broken Link Removed
Im sorry but this how the UK's own threat levels are assessed.
The Foreign Office has a different threat level methodology for other countries as set out here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-the-foreign-commonwealth-office-puts-together-travel-advice
The threat level for Morocco is currently HIGH.
Exactly the same as FRANCE and SPAIN!

I'm not going to advocate anybody going to Morocco without making their own assessment of risk and I wouldn't criticise anybody for deciding it is too risky for them.
Likewise we need to keep a balanced view and accept that there is at least as much risk in visiting some of our favourite motorhoming destinations.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Now now.....
London is magical place.
It's full of high paid idiots paying me eye watering sums for house rental to live there !.... Love it ! :cool:
Mike, No one has suggested that the MI5 security threat levels are the same as those for the Foreign office and the clue is in the link itself. Although I find it amazing the post put up by Scot Jimland showed the Foreign Office rated Syria the same threat level as France and Spain. Just goes to show the Foreign Office need to get their act together and do proper risk assessments I.M.O. Taking a blanket approach and rating just about everywhere as high risk is insufficient, especially rating Syria the same risk as Europe.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Visited Morocco in the motorhome about 8 or 9 years ago and loved it. Also been to Iran, Egypt, Tunisia, Adu Dhabi, Dubai, Turkey and a few other Muslim countries and enjoyed them all especially Iran less so Dubai. However at the moment I'm sorry to say we won't be visiting any Muslim countries in the foreseeable future.
There's a big old world out there and lots of amazing places to visit where we are welcome without taking unnecessary risks.
Easy for me too say as I've already been to theses places and a shame for others not too see them and I have to say that in my experience Muslim hospitality is second to none but not for me now. Glad we went when we did and we certainly couldn't be considered timid where travelling is concerned but not worth the risk now for us however small that risk may be.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
where do you find winter sun what are the alternatives
3 month in goa ?
I don't think three months in Goa is such a bad idea.
Granted, you won't be taking the motorhome but for adventure and relaxed winter living, Goa does have a lot to offer.
It's not as if it's expensive either....

I have family who regularly visit Goa/India, this year they're doing Brazil instead.
Brazilian Real keeps falling, apparently it's more affordable than ever to visit these days - something worth considering ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyone going to Morocco just needs to be careful. I would avoid places where lots of foreigners gather such as anything too touristy. There is always the risk of being attacked when on your own but recent events seem to suggest they like to do something spectacular which will attract a lot of publicity. Not that this is anything new. The attack in Egypt near Luxor in 1997 claimed scores of lives and was at a major tourist attraction.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just goes to show the Foreign Office need to get their act together and do proper risk assessments

They won't. I said in a post earlier this week. Security Consultants/Advisors, even the better ones will always err toward caution. Their advice is almost always judged in hindsight so being cautious is how they protect themselves. This ensures the advice they give can't be effectively compromised. Wrong, yes. But explains why travel advice, no matter where you're going, is always scary.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
However at the moment I'm sorry to say we won't be visiting any Muslim countries in the foreseeable future.

Do you think you aren't living in one now....?
I'm not having a go, but it sounds as if your post is because of Muslims, you could possibly be friends with some and not know it..!
Tarring with same brush comes to mind...
I'm not quite sure what you mean forestboy as I'm normally a fan of your post....

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not having a go, but it sounds as if your post is because of Muslims, you could possibly be friends with some and not know it..!
I'm not quite sure what you mean forestboy as I'm normally a fan of your post....

Thought his post was a quite clear summation of his feelings, saw nothing "anti Muslim" in it.

Bryan

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Whoa!! I am definitely not anti Muslim and I said I had enjoyed the countries I'd visited and Muslim hospitality.
However at the moment for me the risk in visiting a Muslim country with all the problems is not worth it.
Blimey how one sentence gets pulled out of context.:eek:

And no I don't think we're living in one now, there may be problems but this is still a fabulous country to live in and we enjoy a freedom and lifestyle that a lot of the world can only dream of.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
To answer the OP, at the moment we are still going,but things might change (family etc).We have made all the preparations re,dog,van service,extra MED's,etc,and will make a decision when we are in Southern Spain as per last year.Last year was a yes.But this is how we usually do things anyway,that's why we have a Motorhome.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
At the end of the day it is your choice to travel to Morocco, but because of current events one has to think long and hard is it worth the risk right now. If action is taken (fingers crossed it will) by UK, France, USA, Russia etc etc etc then you and your motorhome is fare game........ with a UK reg on display. I would also check with your insurance company both vehicle and medical to see if they have changed anything in the current situation, as they may not cover you for Morocco!
You can always travel there next year or the year after, but personally I would give it a miss this year. Better safe an sorry.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We have changed our travel plans. We will no longer be going on a theatre break in London.

Think we will go to Morocco though.

I would avoid an active warzone but the rest of it is a lottery.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Isn't it odd that some of the terrorists involved in the recent atrocity in Paris were Belgium nationals and yet no one to the best of my knowledge has suggested Belgium should be avoided but again Morocco is raised as being at a greater risk and members saying as a result of recent events they would not go. I'm trying to make sense of why the risk in Morocco is seen as being greater than the country where these terrorists were raised and resided in.
The risk in the UK is even greater and again this does not seem to be an issue for many members.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Leave it Phil. You're not going to sway those who believe it's too dangerous and likewise you are not going to be persuaded not to go.
We are all entitled to make up our own minds based on our own perceptions and I think this thread has probably run its course.
As Duncan Bannatyne would say "ahm oot"

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Will Do Obi-Wan. (Well I'll try, you know me, difficult to keep silent when I believe something needs correction, LOL).

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm becoming totally confused about where is safe to travel
On one hand the focus of terrorist attacks appears to be in Europe. In the UK alone there have already been over half a dozen attacks thwarted in the last 6 months.
On the other hand the BBC is just reporting on thwarted attack in Tunisia, so maybe Arab countries are not much safer.
I guess there are risks wherever you travel - you just don't expect to be a target of terrorism in Europe
Furthermore if the UK starts bombing in Syria I believe that the risk of attack will only increase

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
To answer the OP, at the moment we are still going,but things might change (family etc).We have made all the preparations re,dog,van service,extra MED's,etc,and will make a decision when we are in Southern Spain as per last year.Last year was a yes.But this is how we usually do things anyway,that's why we have a Motorhome.

What he said.

Will decide a few days before we cross and if not happy when we get over there will U-turn and come back, it's not really that an expensive ferry trip.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
terrorists involved in the recent atrocity in Paris were Belgium nationals

they are indeed...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...uctive-wave-of-terror-in-europe-a6736996.html

Why is Belgium at the heart of Europe’s most destructive wave of terrorism in a generation? There is no single explanation, but rather a number of ingredients, from post-war immigration from north Africa, hate preachers, ghettos, poverty, and marginalision. There is also a belated realisation by the Belgian authorities that complacency towards extremism has allowed the pernicious Islamic influences to fester.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I would love to travel to Morocco again and we have seriously considered it but my thoughts are when we had travelled previously and stopped for a break there was no one to he seen but once we parked within 5 minutes we were surrounded by folk ... And that is my major concern ...where are they hidden as the roads differ so much from our highways , it's the younger generation being more intimidating than most ..

Crossing those mountains and hills which took my breath away with their beauty but they they hide so much ...
It is truly an amazing country to visit ...
Who knows we may reconsider by December

Kath X

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
How do you get insurance for the motorhome?
We tried to go in our land cruiser last year and could get no insurance even if we changed yearly supplier - may be because land cruisers are the small tank of choice for Terry Taliban and mad Mohammed.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
That was not the case for Admiral car insurance or ANY other car insurer for my landcruiser.
I've ridden a motorbike around Morocco and hope to do it again for my 60th and love the country (although would not go again during Ramadan ).
As for roads, I believe now there is a motorway from tangiers port to Marrakech. Bit of a shame really.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
........ and stopped for a break there was no one to he seen but once we parked within 5 minutes we were surrounded by folk ... And that is my major concern ...where are they hidden as the roads differ so much from our highways , it's the younger generation being more intimidating than most ..
Kath X

From the late 1960s to the early 1990s we lived in east and southern Africa. Whenever we stopped our car or campervan, in however remote a place, we would be surrounded by people within a few minutes. They were usually young men as women were too busy and it was too far to come for many older men. Always they were friendly , courteous and curious and I hope we always parted with something new learned on both sides. We never felt threatened despite the fact that the countries we lived in were subject to brutal dictatorships at the time.

From what we saw of Morocco on a trip with the van 3 years ago, I don't think anything would be different. Being able to meet and communicate with people of different cultures, even if it is only via mime, is one of the best things about motorhoming.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We last visited in 2007 .. and would dearly love to go back.. I love the country and the people.. so much diversity in one country. It is with a great sadness that we now feel it is too risky..

When camping at Source Bleue we were too big to get into the camp site so had to park outside with just one other RV.. we were soon surrounded by kids.. I organised a football match.. and we had a great time.. later on we gave them biscuits and cold drinks..

Later that day, Paul was invited back to one of the kids houses for a meal.. they are poor people with such generous hearts..

We loved the Moroccan countryside and the peoples we met.... but not the tourist traps like Marrakesh.. hated that place..

Charlotte and some of the kids at the door of the RV
BROKEN LINK

Camping at Source Bleue .. in the background a ruined fort..

DSC_1536.JPG

The ruined fort
BROKEN LINK

BROKEN LINK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back