MORELO Defect - Trim Shrinking (1 Viewer)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I was going to post this in the MORELO section but we don't have one :(

Whilst in the van a few weeks ago I noticed that the trim on the outer edge of the lighting pelmet which runs almost all the way around the van, the section above the drivers seat had a gap where the two edges join together. Further inspection revealed that most, if not all of this trim has started to shrink. Where the trim ends at a bulkhead or cupboard the gap is about 4mm but when two pieces of trim meet the gap is obviously double at 8mm. It has basically shrunk and gaps have opened up.

I took some pictures and sent the off to MORELO and Premium Motorhomes. I got a reply back from MORELO thanking me for getting in touch and stating that this is known issue but I will be pleased to hear that the issue has now been resolved and that all current MORELOS leaving the factory have had a design spec change and the issue resolved. Therefore the issue will no longer be a problem. They are proud to announce a number of new layouts for 2018 and continue to increase production of the MORELO brand. It read as if I was being dismissed and because they knew about it and it has been fixed on new vans it was no longer an issue. They did go onto say that my supplying dealer MAY be able to assist with MY issue.

Premium Motorhomes have come back asking me to take measurements and photographs. I had already send photographs to the MD but obviously he is far to important to forward them onto his team and it is every joint in the trim so MORELO must be aware of how much trim is required for a particular model.

Interestingly, not one of the e-mails mentions apology or regret for the issue from either MORELO of Premium.

I am less than impressed to say the least, not with the issue but with the flippant response from MORELO and the follow up from Premium Motorhomes.

These are the images of the shrinkage.
defect1.jpg
defect2.jpg
Defect3.jpg
defect4.jpg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
That' not good. We had this problem in our Dethleffs and took the whole from down, warmed it up with a hairdryer and put it back up. We still had a very small gap but was able to reposition it our of eyes view.

I know that is not the point of your post, but a possible solution if you don't get any joy. Personally, I would be sending many emails and phone calls to Morelo to nag them into a better response.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
It will be replaced under warranty, but just the general attitude of both companies have really wound me up. I have had other issues that I have not gone on about. Their response this time is the straw which has broke the camels back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Blimey Stewart - that's dreadful. As you say, its not so much the fault, bad though that is, its the way it is being dealt with.

To smugly suggest that all new models with have the issue rectified is totally unprofessional and irrelevant to your situation.

I think it is all about the after sales experience when you buy a motorhome. There are so many component parts produced by different manufacturers that there are bound to be problems - its how those problems are dealt with.

Let us know how you get on... by the way you must be retiring soon aren't you? :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have mentioned this in posts before, normally when people post to say that they think, erroneously, that if the bought an expensive car, that they would be treated better when problems arouse

We bought a Mercedes GL420 V8 which had a seven speed gear box, after a couple of hundred miles, it decided on slowing down to go straight into first gear, just as my wife had opened a drink

So, after it had happened several times more, she started to believe that it wasn’t my fault (not sure I was ever forgiven though :LOL:)

Cut a long story short, Mercedes were inept and condescending all at the same time, “Not used to powerful cars” ( also own a Porsche 911) “Not used to auto gearboxes, on big V8 engines (Have auto box on V10 6.8lt RV) every excuse, not to look at it

In the end after countless arguements, normally insinuating it was us driving badly, Firmware updates, new gearbox pumps they announced “ Its a known fault”

The car at this stage was now about a year old and we chucked it back at Mercedes, and bought a new works van and an estate car for an employee, fearful that we could end up with a “white elephant” if we kept it after the warranty period “Oh, one of “those”)

We deal extensively with Dometic, European head office is Germany, getting the buggers to admit that they have messed up is seemingly impossible.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I was having this discussion with someone over the weekend. I find the response you got quite frankly terrible.

So when a manufacturer realises they have cocked something up (as they say they are aware of the problem) why do they then not contact you and let you know there is an issue and what they will do to resolve it? Why wait until you get in contact with them?

It's not about the price you paid, and I don't go with that argument that you should get treated better because the money spent is more.. It's in fact the industry as a whole and I keep harping on about this, we are being treated like idiots and somewhere and somehow we need to start standing up and taking action....

but we won't.... we will just keep moaning about it and parting with our hard earned cash.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Response from manufacturers and many dealer's regarding defects has ALWAYS been atrocious. We had issues with our first new Autotrail in the nineties and even then they wanted the customers to go away and die. After carrying out contract work for a larger caravan /motorhome manufacturer for over 20 years I've never brought new again.
Good luck with sorting out this very poor quality .

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
So buy a cheap British van.... you will have niggles and workmanship problems but as the so called Premium Continental brands do too, you will be £’s better off....

Oh and also accept that the majority of manufacturers and dealers have appalling after sales care.

Simples!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am less than impressed to say the least, not with the issue but with the flippant response from MORELO and the follow up from Premium Motorhomes.

Its awful that your MH has this problem but it appears that Morelo are aware of it and have rectified it for new MHs but, as they indicate, they are not in a position to sort out your problem directly, that is down to your dealer who would then liaise with Morelo to get the necessary parts to resolve it and who appear to be addressing the issue, so I'm not really sure why you're 'having a go' at Morelo ...

So when a manufacturer realises they have cocked something up (as they say they are aware of the problem) why do they then not contact you and let you know there is an issue and what they will do to resolve it? Why wait until you get in contact with them?
But how would they know how many are affected? Some may be, some may not be, depending on when the trim was manufactured. If it was a safety issue it would be another matter entirely, but for what at the end of the day is a cosmetic cover I'm sure the owners will let them know via their dealers, at least if it happens out of the warranty period there is now a record on this forum that it has happened so they can show there is a known fault.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Is it a wood trim , as that would suggest that the material has been used before fully matured , and stabilised ? You can get similar "instability" with plastic trims as well

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
So buy a cheap British van.... you will have niggles and workmanship problems but as the so called Premium Continental brands do too, you will be £’s better off....

Oh and also accept that the majority of manufacturers and dealers have appalling after sales care.

Simples!

I think the very obvious simple answer is that one has standards and taste :D:D

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My neighbour's Lunar caravan has the "D" cross section plastic trim applied to the inside cut edge of the cupboards, it's started shrinking along it's length and has pulled out of the wood on the inside corner joints on most of the cupboards.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
[QUOTEI'm not really sure why you're 'having a go' at Morelo ....[/QUOTE]

I guess the reason is that they own the brand, select the products which are used in manufacture and should have the managerial sense to protect the brand. The fact that they got back to me explaining they know about the issue but in no way offered any form of regret or apology for my inconvenience due to their substandard product is why I am having a go.

Things go wrong I accept that. However, it is how you are dealt with and treated in the process of putting the defect right which in my mind is most important.

If MORELO had replied saying they were extremely sorry for this issue and the defect has been recognised and they have an engineering solution to fix which my dealer will resolve and the lesson learned have been shared with the ongoing process to resolve the issue and eliminate it in any future products would have satisfied me and made me feel they had listened. But no, I got no apology what so ever and only consolation offered was the fact that no one else buying a MORELO will suffer the same issue. That's of little comfort to my current situation.

So in short I feel I am more than entitled to have a go at MORELO :mad:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the correct response from a good company would have been along the lines of were very sorry this problem has come to our attention and we do have a cure WEwill contact your dealer and have authorised whatever is needed
having bought a premier brand you would obviously expect top service would you accept 20mm of shrinkage if you bought a 10k rolex and the glass fell out?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
the correct response from a good company would have been along the lines of were very sorry this problem has come to our attention and we do have a cure WEwill contact your dealer and have authorised whatever is needed
having bought a premier brand you would obviously expect top service would you accept 20mm of shrinkage if you bought a 10k rolex and the glass fell out?
... but we're talking MHs and as we all know how much you pay has very little effect on the treatment you receive ...

It would have been nice if they'd said sorry but big companies just don't do that as it opens them up to liability claims, not saying its right though ...

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Getting the hang of it from 2017
Very interesting regarding the dealer, after our experiences with them..............................................................................
At least we are not the only ones

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
But how would they know how many are affected? Some may be, some may not be, depending on when the trim was manufactured. If it was a safety issue it would be another matter entirely, but for what at the end of the day is a cosmetic cover I'm sure the owners will let them know via their dealers, at least if it happens out of the warranty period there is now a record on this forum that it has happened so they can show there is a known fault.

No if it was a safety issue they would do no better. However, if they are aware they should contact owners and or dealers and make them aware of "potential" for something to develop and ask them to keep an eye on it.
I had a swift that was not sealed correctly on the floor, a 2007 swift and the only way it came to my attention was when @Terry made me aware of it being a potential known issue. Every than that went for service was repaired but mine wasn't because the previous owner was never made aware despite using "swift approved" workshops for regular servicing. It came apparant after 3 years of my ownership when the floor simply rotted away causing danger. Swift knew, they did nothing except fix vans as and when they came in. If that was a car? I would have received a letter telling me to bring it in for inspection.
To you it might be a "cosmetic trim" but to the owner it's clearly an issue that he wasn't expecting.

What amazes me about this thread is how everyone keeps harping on about because the owner spent this much or that much he shouldn't have to put up with it. I will say it again, the industry is corrupt and a pee take. It shouldn't matter if it was 300k or 10k if you buy something you expect good customer service regardless and things to be dealt with, aftercare in this industry is something that Watchdog should be on to in a flash.

As for the dealer involved? well, need I say more.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm guessing that the trim is plastic.
I'm guessing that you've been running your heating rather high.
I'm guessing that, next time, it'll be a Concorde.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No if it was a safety issue they would do no better. However, if they are aware they should contact owners and or dealers and make them aware of "potential" for something to develop and ask them to keep an eye on it.
I had a swift that was not sealed correctly on the floor, a 2007 swift and the only way it came to my attention was when @Terry made me aware of it being a potential known issue. Every than that went for service was repaired but mine wasn't because the previous owner was never made aware despite using "swift approved" workshops for regular servicing. It came apparant after 3 years of my ownership when the floor simply rotted away causing danger. Swift knew, they did nothing except fix vans as and when they came in. If that was a car? I would have received a letter telling me to bring it in for inspection.
To you it might be a "cosmetic trim" but to the owner it's clearly an issue that he wasn't expecting.

What amazes me about this thread is how everyone keeps harping on about because the owner spent this much or that much he shouldn't have to put up with it. I will say it again, the industry is corrupt and a pee take. It shouldn't matter if it was 300k or 10k if you buy something you expect good customer service regardless and things to be dealt with, aftercare in this industry is something that Watchdog should be on to in a flash.

As for the dealer involved? well, need I say more.
I should have rephrased my comment
I'd be pissed off if I bought any brand new motorhome and that happened.

But if be more pissed off if I bought a new supposed to be "high quality superior brand " motorhome and that happened.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Go and “break down” in front of the dealers main gate for a weekend, hang up a sign on the inside of the windscreen saying “dealer/manufacturer won’t/can’t fix” and wait and see what happens!(y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have mentioned this in posts before, normally when people post to say that they think, erroneously, that if the bought an expensive car, that they would be treated better when problems arouse

We bought a Mercedes GL420 V8 which had a seven speed gear box, after a couple of hundred miles, it decided on slowing down to go straight into first gear, just as my wife had opened a drink

So, after it had happened several times more, she started to believe that it wasn’t my fault (not sure I was ever forgiven though :LOL:)

Cut a long story short, Mercedes were inept and condescending all at the same time, “Not used to powerful cars” ( also own a Porsche 911) “Not used to auto gearboxes, on big V8 engines (Have auto box on V10 6.8lt RV) every excuse, not to look at it

In the end after countless arguements, normally insinuating it was us driving badly, Firmware updates, new gearbox pumps they announced “ Its a known fault”

The car at this stage was now about a year old and we chucked it back at Mercedes, and bought a new works van and an estate car for an employee, fearful that we could end up with a “white elephant” if we kept it after the warranty period “Oh, one of “those”)

We deal extensively with Dometic, European head office is Germany, getting the buggers to admit that they have messed up is seemingly impossible.

Funny how everyone comments about Range Rover build quality, i had four new cars and had some issues with three of them, all problems rectified without having to contact them more than once and on one occasion they came to my house on a Saturday to fix a car.
That’s why I buy RR or Audi’s as never had any problems with either with back up.
Had a Porsche 997 turbo and the local dealers were useless, would be taking it somewhere else if I bought another

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Have to say though it looks a pretty easy fix, don’t know why they’re messing about.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I should add for fairness to all concerned, their has never been any question that the issue would not be repaired. My main gripe is around how I have been dealt with. If MORELO had typed the word "sorry" in the reply I would have been fine. Its the fact that they just do not see it as a problem. I was not going to go on about it but guess the reason it upsets me stems back to the baggage I'm still carrying from my visit to the factory. My other half tells me its my own self paranoia but I got the distinct impression from the Sales Manager that I should be pleased that they sold me a MORELO. It is difficult to put your finger on it, in any other manufacturers premises I have been treated as a valued customer at MORELO I felt different. I have never mentioned it on the forum but its probably now relevant to how I feel about them. I cannot describe it. But it certainly was not the treatment I would have received if I had just spent the same money on a new Rolls Royce. I know we cannot compare cars to motorhomes. However, at no point did I feel valued or appreciated for making my decision to purchase their product.
As for Premium, they will put it right (hopefully) but all the onus is on me. Why should I have to measure up and take pictures I have already sent. They should order enough trim to replace my model of van and call me when it arrives apologising for the inconvenience making an appointment that may fit in with my travel plans to prevent inconvenience and have the job repaired along with apology on arrival and again on departure. I won't hold my breath!

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

I absolutely agree with you ref price should not be of any relevance. Generally , even a low cost motorhome on a dealer forecourt is pricewise , probably beyond your "average" used or even new car price . The faults with new and used motorhomes described on here sometimes , would have your car buyer going ballistic , but the motorhome fraternity are seemingly expected to put up with abysmal treatment , why ?......... To @stewartwebr , what you described , attitude of dealer wise , is exactly the kind of treatment and response we have also came across with motorhome dealers.

Last year we opted to part ex our van . I will say that we feel we are actually quite reasonable and easy to please customers , however the attitudes we met from at least 4 or 5 well known dealers , ranging from small to large companies was a complete joke. Needless to say they never did and never will see the colour of our money. Our impression now being that its for all the world that more than a significant few dealers are convinced they are actually doing you a favour by selling you a huge cost vehicle.Taking the proverbial doesnt even begin to describe their complete indifference and inability to provide good customer service.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ideally yes, but these are MHs we're talking about and they don't come close to the number of cars being built or the vast number of places that can repair cars.
I had a swift that was not sealed correctly on the floor, a 2007 swift and the only way it came to my attention was when @Terry made me aware of it being a potential known issue. Every than that went for service was repaired but mine wasn't because the previous owner was never made aware despite using "swift approved" workshops for regular servicing. It came apparant after 3 years of my ownership when the floor simply rotted away causing danger. Swift knew, they did nothing except fix vans as and when they came in.
We had a Swift with an in-built swimming pool due to the floor not being sealed where the gas drop out was in the gas locker ... not fun.

If that was a car? I would have received a letter telling me to bring it in for inspection.
As I said above, it's a totally different 'relationship' with MHs.
It is only cosmetic trim in the sense that it's not a major safety issue, I'm not for one minute saying its something he should have to put up with and fight to get sorted - I've had similar cosmetic issues myself in a Rapido which at the time was the most we had ever paid for a MH but that makes no difference at all.

Totally agree with you there but it won't happen, there is no-one willing to challenge it who has any real influence on the MH manufacturers or dealers or who would 'risk' losing advertising revenue from them by doing so.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ideally yes, but these are MHs we're talking about and they don't come close to the number of cars being built or the vast number of places that can repair cars.

We had a Swift with an in-built swimming pool due to the floor not being sealed where the gas drop out was in the gas locker ... not fun.

As I said above, it's a totally different 'relationship' with MHs.

It is only cosmetic trim in the sense that it's not a major safety issue, I'm not for one minute saying its something he should have to put up with and fight to get sorted - I've had similar cosmetic issues myself in a Rapido which at the time was the most we had ever paid for a MH but that makes no difference at all.

Totally agree with you there but it won't happen, there is no-one willing to challenge it who has any real influence on the MH manufacturers or dealers or who would 'risk' losing advertising revenue from them by doing so.
Are you on commission from the motorhome manufacturers Minxy?
Stop defending them ....the are taking the proverbial and need to sort themselves out.
More complaints more bad press when they don't come good is what's needed.

Certainly from reading numerous threads on here about faults from almost every manufacturer on new motorhomes even if I was in the position to buy a new one id be very wary.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Are you on commission from the motorhome manufacturers Minxy?
Stop defending them ....the are taking the proverbial and need to sort themselves out.
More complaints more bad press when they don't come good is what's needed.

Certainly from reading numerous threads on here about faults from almost every manufacturer on new motorhomes even if I was in the position to buy a new one id be very wary.
Get off your high horse please, if you fall you'll hurt yourself! :D

I'm NOT defending them for one minute, I'm simply stating how it works ... I don't like it anymore than you, or anyone else does, indeed I've had horrendous issues myself so know from first hand experience how bad it can be! However pretending that we as buyers can do something about it in reality, other than take our business elsewhere, is IMV rather naive ... NONE of the major players in this, such as MH mags, C&MC, CCC, NCC are interested in helping to sort this out so who do you expect would be able and willing to do it that the dealers and manufacturers would take notice of?

Shout all you like on the forums etc and say what it SHOULD be like but that won't make any difference at all other than to maybe make some purchases go elsewhere but in the big scheme of things it won't affect the dealers/manufacturers one jot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back