More wisdom please!New EGR valve & sensor.Still major problems (1 Viewer)

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Thanks for the suggestions after my last post.The garage have given up. I am in bits. They have replaced the valve & sensor. Checked all the hoses.air filter etc. Nothing comes up on the dash and no faults on the ECU. She now feels lie she has lost all her pulling power. I nursed her home, ended 1& 2nd for a hill she flies up normally.Everyone at a loss as to what it is.Any suggestions welcomed as someone must have had the same problem.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Have the injectors been checked & leak-off checked ?

Have you tried running any quality injector cleaner through the fuel system ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks for the suggestions after my last post.The garage have given up. I am in bits. They have replaced the valve & sensor. Checked all the hoses.air filter etc. Nothing comes up on the dash and no faults on the ECU. She now feels lie she has lost all her pulling power. I nursed her home, ended 1& 2nd for a hill she flies up normally.Everyone at a loss as to what it is.Any suggestions welcomed as someone must have had the same problem.

You stated in your other thread on this subject that the vehicle belched out smoke - what colour was the smoke ?

The colour of the smoke can help determine an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I am no mechanic, I do not know your engine and wouldn't know how to fix it even if I did, but I had a loss of power issue on a Merc which kept going into limp mode, after much expense and the main commercial Merc dealer replacing just about everything, took it to a fleet garage, it turned out to be the hydraulic pump on the gearbox and on another van a blocked injector!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Make sure the fuel cap is letting in air and not creating a vacuum in the tank, when this happens a vehicle can lose power..

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Diesel smoke colour explained :

http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Not having read your previous post ,but have you any inline filter anywhere?
Had something similar a few years back on a transit 2.5 n/a.
Short hills not a problem but long uphill drags and it would cut back and die.
Get it on the flat bleed it through and off again was great fun on the way back from Spain,smoke white,grey,black,thought we had blown the engine .lost most of my hair then:D
Went through the whole fuel system ,lift pump I.pump injectors pipes the lot last thing we dropped the tank and low and behold a bleddy filter on the end of the pick up pipe,clogged up normally only fitted to petrol engine transits ,I thought!
Not saying that's your problem ,but hope you get sorted

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did the garage do a cylinder compression test........I doubt it !
Would probably still run under no load conditions but struggle when pulling power needed.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not familiar with the Peugeot engines but I have in the past had problems with Vauxhall diesels which did not show up on a Tech 2 reader. The VauxhallIs had use vacuum operated servos operate the turbo waste gate and the EGR valve. The rubber vacuum pipe to these servos would regularly perish and crack causing the turbo to drop out and bugger all power. The same problem with rubber pipe cracking and letting air in was a regular occurrence on the injector spill pipes which would cause the engine to go into limp mode with no error code readings.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We had a Citroen diesel van at work - 2006/07 I think? very similar problem - loss of power - smoking - intermittent at first but got worse - Computer said EGR valve - All renewed - garage gave up- but many pounds richer - said it must be electrical problem somewhere - maybe on wiring loom or something like that - recommend you take it to an auto electrician- he traced a supposed fault on wiring? again many many many pounds richer!! - but still same fault
RAC recovery driver recommended a small one man band type garage (might call it a back street garage)
He worked right through all possible problems mechanically that could be wrong- ignoring computer
Turned out that when the engine was getting hot there was a gap (would this be one of the valves?) that was increasing and causing the problem - before he stripped it down he said it probably was this but he could be wrong - he stripped it down and sorted it out - problem fixed -Hope this may help in how you go about trying to sort out the problem? Best of luck with it

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm quite confused by this one. A 2003 Nuevo on a boxer will most likely be either a 2.0 or 2.3 litre hdi diesel, as such it will have a turbocharger but may not have an intercooler. If there are no fault codes in the ecu (another clue that it's hdi is that it has an ecu) then the garage needs to read live data, if they don't have the equipment to do this then you seriously need to find another garage. Live data will identify what is causing the lack of power by showing such details as fuel rail pressure, boost pressure, mass air flow etc.

D.

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Thank you for all the help.It is a 1.9 2003.hdi. No turbo.Smoke light grey/white now. Was black on day one,only smokes n high revs when missing now. RAC came to my aid again.ECU gave an eventual diagnosis of air sensor.Reading 2.5 (norm 6.8_7.5) so very low.Suggestion was I needed a new sensor.Showed him the receipt for the one fitted today."It must be a duff one, go back".Garage had already told me they could do no more for me! Snipped off lots of little perished pipe ends with kitchen scissorswhilstwaitingfor RAC chap.Think that made a bit of a difference.Fuel cap oK.What is the cleaner that you recommend please.Anyone recommend a garage in the Caterham area?
Thanks everyone.Will print off your suggestions and take with me. Think I am going to miss the ferry and booking for IOW but hey there are people who are truly desperate at the moment.count myself lucky.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thank you for all the help.It is a 1.9 2003.hdi. No turbo.Smoke light grey/white now. Was black on day one,only smokes n high revs when missing now. RAC came to my aid again.ECU gave an eventual diagnosis of air sensor.Reading 2.5 (norm 6.8_7.5) so very low.Suggestion was I needed a new sensor.Showed him the receipt for the one fitted today."It must be a duff one, go back".Garage had already told me they could do no more for me! Snipped off lots of little perished pipe ends with kitchen scissorswhilstwaitingfor RAC chap.Think that made a bit of a difference.Fuel cap oK.What is the cleaner that you recommend please.Anyone recommend a garage in the Caterham area?
Thanks everyone.Will print off your suggestions and take with me. Think I am going to miss the ferry and booking for IOW but hey there are people who are truly desperate at the moment.count myself lucky.

White smoke can be an indication of raw, unburnt diesel passing through the combustion process, it can also be a sign of water in the fuel - possibly emanating from a blown head gasket.

Black smoke is basically soot & can indicate a fuel / air imbalance - too much fuel & not enough air or sufficient fuel & insufficient air - your new air sensor may cure that issue.

http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

Decent injector / fuel system cleaners are easily available - try Redex, BG244 or Archoil products.

OP
OP
petrocspals

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
I had a bad feeling it could only get worse. Thank you for the info.The garage very unwilling to take another look.They are on he list of MMM magazine garages but have recently undergone a mgt shuffle. It shows.I have f kind someone to help fit a new sensor and pipes.New sensor arrives tomorrow.All of the symptoms are intermittent and progressive the more she runs/ revs. I only get smoke when she misses and I rev her .Is that what a head gasket does?
Thanks again.Will buy some quality fuel cleaner.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I had a bad feeling it could only get worse. Thank you for the info.The garage very unwilling to take another look.They are on he list of MMM magazine garages but have recently undergone a mgt shuffle. It shows.I have f kind someone to help fit a new sensor and pipes.New sensor arrives tomorrow.All of the symptoms are intermittent and progressive the more she runs/ revs. I only get smoke when she misses and I rev her .Is that what a head gasket does?
Thanks again.Will buy some quality fuel cleaner.

Take the oil filler cap off & look inside the top of it for signs of '' mayonnaise '' type gloopy gunk - if it's evident it's a sign of water in the oil & possible head gasket failure which, amongst other issues, could cause your symptoms

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back